Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

Adding Phone Service - No Cable or Jacks in Office

New Poster

Adding Phone Service - No Cable or Jacks in Office

I'm in a rental apartment which has no phone jacks in either of the bedrooms - just one I've never tried in the living room (where the only cable is also located). I have a new job I do virtually from home but requires phone service - they will pay my internet and phone each month. I previously had digital phone service with a portable phone system with the base station in each bedroom. However, since this is a business only line, it should only be in the bedroom used as a home office. I can't see a base station near the cable modem and wireless phone working correctly, as it will be routine for me to be in conference calls of 6 to 8 hours (my experience is that no wireless phone can last that long). The phone also needs to be compatible for a plantronics headset. I also have a wireless N router and my past experience was that there was a ton of interference between the wireless phone and wireless internet.

As far as I can tell, there is no physical way that a phone jack could be installed due to the layout and a few oddities of the apartment (radiant ceiling heat means running near the ceiling is a bad idea). Even if it could, the cost seems high for a place that I rent and may move out of at any time. I'm also loath to risk my security deposit for any possible damage caused by the installation if the landlord even agreed with it.

The only possible solution I can think of is a wireless phone jack (like what you may have used for satellite receivers and TiVos to conduct daily updates before Netflix), but am I missing another solution?

Does anyone have experience with this? Will the quality be awful?? Am I better off just having the tech damage the baseboards adding an additional line?

Re: Adding Phone Service - No Cable or Jacks in Of

Older wireless phones did interfere with internet connections but newer ones don't have that problem.

I work from home and have a second line. I purchased a cordless phone with two handsets and a wireless headset for the second line and it works fine. The base is near the modem, and I move about the house with either a handset or the headset while on calls. I get many hours out of the headset and since the phone came with two handsets I don't have to worry about battery life since there's a backup. I keep the second handset in my bedroom. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation