Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Xfinity On Demand, same program: Free vs Buy

New Poster

Xfinity On Demand, same program: Free vs Buy

Why is the same TV program episode showing Free on one set/box, and the exact same program, episode on my two other boxes stating BUY?

Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity On Demand, same program: Free vs Buy

Are some of your set boxes on a SD television, or old analog set seeing digital SD, versus a HD television?

Some networks (or program owners) are charging for a SD version versus the HD version since there are far fewer vewers using old analog or standard digital televisions with a 4:3 screen instead if 720p or 1080p widescreen televisions.

New Poster

No, all TVs are SmartTV, HD compatible.   I don't know if the extra cable box the TV is attached to is HD though as it states "Digital converter" on the bill under Additional services.  

Problem Solver

Your reply is confussing. "Smart" tv's contain apps to get programing like: You Tube, Neflix, etc. directly over the internet (no cable-box or service needed).

Back ro your original post. If you have an old analog tv, or a digital tv (4:3 screen), instead of a wide screen (16:9) HD tv (either 720p or 1080p) you normally watch only a SD version of shows. It seems that fewer people are watching SD shows on cable and they are unprofitable.

New Poster

So when I quickly typed Smart TV, HD,  I meant these are all new, HD TVs and are not as you describe here.

When I checked today, a show I would like to view from on Demand service is showing available on all sets.  

It is inconsistent.  

New Poster

Comcast is starting to gouge extra fees for On Demand. Most current TV program episodes are Buy, not Free. Comcast blames it on the networks. Comcast owns NBC, and still charges for viewing of last week’s episode of “This is Us”. Guilty of ouble-dipping! Go figger - can’t win against a media monopoly! One more reason to cut the cord for Ex-finity!..