Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

X-Files Season 9 episodes all mixed up

Frequent Visitor

X-Files Season 9 episodes all mixed up

Trying to catch up on the X-Files S9 On Demand.  Got through E9 okay, but starting with E10 I start getting a different episode from the title that's listed. At first It's just one episode behind, then it jumps to two episodes behind.  What's more, when I went back the next day to finish watching an episode I'd stopped in the middle of, it had changed to a different episode ENTIRELY!  I finally waded  my way through most of the maze, but when it came to the season finale - also the original series finale, The Truth - which is in two parts, S9E19 and S9E20, there are duplicates of one posted and not of the other (I think it's E19 that's missing, but I'm not even sure). 

I've noticed this with The Orville as well. Having the episodes listed under the wrong name is a minor inconvenience - once you find them - but having episodes Of major importance MISSING entirely is really disappointing.  Since these eps are only scheduled to be up until 1/17/18 and it's now 1/10, I don't really expect it will get fixed.  However, it would be nice if you would surprise us and get it done anyway ....

Contributor

Re: X-Files Season 9 episodes all mixed up

Problems with earlier seasons, too.  Is anyone listening out there?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/On-Demand/XFiles-Season-one/td-p/3026597

Frequent Visitor

The Truth Is Out There, but the Comcast board admins are mysteriously silent about it.  😉

At least Comcast has now extended the X-Files OD collection until February, I think It's 2/9, to give us longer to look for the missing and mixed-up eps, which is nice.  Just to clarify the 2nd part of my original post, It's X-Files S9E19 "The Truth Part 1" that's completely missing, while "The Truth Part 2" is on there twice - under its own actual correct title slot (S9E20), plus one other title (I've forgotten which by now, but I think it was S9E10, "Providence Part 2"), the correct episode for which is in turn found under another title, and so on, and so on.  The entire 2nd half of S9 is mixed up.  If I thought there was more hope of it actually getting fixed, I'd make a full list of what's actually up there vs. what's listed (maybe one day if I'm really bored...).  But the crux of the matter is, S9E19 is missing, and other eps are duplicated/mixed up as a result. 

In fact, I'm pretty sure that S9E13 'Improbable' is also on there twice, under two different titles, meaning that yet ANOTHER S9 episode is missing somewhere.  I haven't watched them all, so I'm not sure which one. Any help on this, Comcast techs?  We know there are only so many of you, and you're overworked with the plethora of missing OD episodes everywhere, it seems, but a reply sure would be nice. 😕

Admin1

Hi athena14 and TARDISToni -- Thank you for bringing these episodes to our attention. I reviewed the episodes listed however I wasn't able to find them missing or playing a different episode. Can you confirm if this issue is still present and list any issues you're seeing please?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Season 9 Episode 15 is labeled Jump the Shark but the episode Improbable plays instead Improbable was supposed to be Season 9 Episode 13.

The episode titled Improbable Episode 13 for season 9 is not Improbable instead what plays is the episode Underneath which is supposed to Season 9 Episode 12.

This is not the only season there has been issues. If you just go look at the Episode listings you aren't going to figure it out, you need to dig deeper. The problem is the listing order by NAME is correct but the video that plays when you click on it is wrong. 

I could go through the whole series again and tell you which ones are wrong but to do that I'd like to be hired by Comcast Smiley Wink

Dig deeper Comcast - The Truth is Out There

New Poster

currently watching what should be xfiles s9/e13 “improbable,” but s9/e11 “audry pauly,” is actually what is playing. been experiencing episode mixups since s9/e9 “provenance.”
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, @ComcastZach.  Sorry it took me a while, but I went back and checked, and as of 1/31-2/1/18, this is what is "out there" for The X-Files, Sesaon 9 (the other seasons I've looked at so far, i.e. 1, 10, and 11, seem to be OK, but I am only up to E8 in Season 1).  Mind you, as Sharon says above, the episode TITLES are correct, but when you actually watch them, you get a different episode from what is listed for at least seven different episodes: 

S9E1 thru E9 all seem to be OK.

S9E10, Providence - shows S9E20, The Truth, Part 2.  This is one of two titles in S9 that plays this episode;  see also E20 below.

S9E11, Audrey Pauley - shows S9E10, Providence

S9E12, Underneath is OK

S9E13, Improbable - shows S9E11, Audrey Pauley (I do get Audrey Pauley, not Underneath as SimplySharon did)

S9E14, Scary Monsters is OK

S9E15, Jump The Shark - shows S9E13, Improbable 

S9E16, William - shows S9E15, Jump the Shark

S9E17, Release is OK

S9E18, Sunshine Days - shows S9E16, William

S9E19, The Truth, Part 1 - shows S9E18, Sunshine Days.  Note that the listed episode, S9E19, is completely MISSING from S9 in favor of TWO showings of S9E20, The Truth, Part 2.

S9E20, THe Truth, Part 2 is OK - as mentioned above, this episode also plays under the listing for S9E10, leaving S9E19 completely missing.

As you can see, all of the episodes are there except for S9E19.  Seven of them are running under the wrong titles.  Not an insurmountable problem once you see the pattern, but time-consuming to sort out.  And it would be really nice to be able see S9E19, the first half of the original series finale, which apparently shows main character Fox Mulder's long-awaited return to the show, and why he's on trial for murder ... rather an important episode.

It took me quite a while to research this, so I hope you can do something on your end to locate the missing episode, at least.  In the meantime, this listing can hopefully act as a guide for others. As previously mentioned, I am currently making my way through S1;  if I find any mix-ups there, I will add them below.  (Athena and others have mentioned above that there are episodes mixed up in other seasons in the same way.)

In light of this, perhaps you could also see if it's possible to extend the availability end date on all the original X-Files series run, Seasons 1-9, as well as Season 10, which are currently set to expire on 2/17, I believe?  I only recently discovered them On Demand, and am trying to re-watch all of them for the first time since seeing them when they originally aired, starting in 1993.  As you can see, there are quite a lot of episodes there, with some 26 per season in most cases, so another month or two to watch them would be nice.  😉  Or, please let us know to whom we viewers can write to request an extension on the expiration date.

Please let us know what you can do, Zach!  Thanks! 😊

Toni

Frequent Visitor

Any luck on this, @ComcastZach ?  I put a lot of work and effort into my Feb. 1 reply.  It would be nice to know if someone had actually read it.  Have you really tried watching all of the  S9 episodes I listed above, and you are not getting the same mis-labeled and missing shows that the rest of us are?  If so, it would seem that Comcast employees and Comcast customers are watching a different set of shows.  😕

In addition, I'm now making my way through The X-Files S1 and S2, and there are several eps where, towards the end, the system seems to try to play an ad, or possibly the standard On Demand intro for all X-Files episodes, over/simultaneously with the actual episode.  This results in a garbled mishmash of the two on screen, with no audio or garbled audio.  I can't name all affected episodes offhand, buf I just finished watching S2E25 "Anasazi" and in the last 5 minutes or so, the episode seems to attempt to restart itself, with both the intro and then the beginning of the same episode playing over/intermixed with the last few minutes of the same episode.  It just so happens that I saw the end of the episode elsewhere yesterday, which is the only reason I was able to follow what was actually happening.  The audio was a weird mixture of electronic tones and buzzes.  I KNOW there are other eps in S1 and S2 that do the same.  Given the subject matter of Fhe X-Files, I'm beginning to wonder if there's a conspiracy of some kind "out there" somewhere that's trying to prevent us from watching the show.  😉

But seriously ... as I asked above, is there any way to get an extension of the free On Demand X-Files collection while this is worked out?  Free viewing of Seasons 1 through 9 is currently due to expire Saturday, 2/17. I'd settle for more time to watch the eps, even if the errors aren't fixed.  Please let me know, ComcastZach, where and of whom we can make such a request, if not of you.  I now have six days to try to get through six seasons, which are already fraught with known problems.  If you could possibly put in a good word to someone about getting the free period for The X-Files extended, it would certainly make me (and I'm sure other viewers, too!) very happy.  Even with all the issues, at least we'd have more room to sort through the whole mess.

Thank you again for your help!

Toni

Contributor

Season 9 episodes are still out of order and the finale is missing.  TardisToni has done a lot of work spelling out what's wrong.  If you need more information about which episodes are which, please consult IMDb.  

p.s. I'd watch 9x19 on YouTube but I'd have to subscribe.   I already subscribe to XFinity.

New Poster

I have the same problem here in Michigan. Fix this ASAP!!! Extremely frustrating.
New Poster

Why has this not been fixed? I have the same issue and I’m in Michigan. Please replay ASAP. This is very unprofessional.
Frequent Visitor

ComcastZach, I wish there was some way I/we could get your attention.  We are now down to 3 days of The X Files left On Demand - unless the expiry date is extended again - and STILL these Season 9 problems exist.  The biggest problem being the fact that S9E19 "The Truth Part I" is still missing;  at least the other episodes are there, even if they're mixed up (and have other issues with video/audio quality and ad interruption right in the middle of scenes).  I've done a lot of research to get and confirm the information you've asked for, and it's really disappointing to get NO answer at all from you in return.  And YES, all of the above problems still exist as of today, March 15, nearly 2 months after we originally pointed them out.  Clearly I'm not the only one experiencing them.

I'm sure you are very busy, but please, if there is anything you can do about this, we would really appreciate it.  We've been more than patient. It would be really nice to see S9E19 and E20 - the original X Files series finale - in its entirety before the whole show disappears for good, or is made a paid show instead of "free."  If you do convert it to paid, I sure hope they manage to fix these problems first.  Getting a wrong episode and having to search for it when they're free is a minor inconvenience.  But if you start charging by the episode and the episodes are still mixed up and otherwise flawed, you're going to have even angrier customers.  Therefore, I STRONGLY recommend you keep them available for free until you've worked out the bugs.  I certainly won't be one of the ones shelling out even more money for ANY Comcast On Demand programming after this experience. 

Frequent Visitor

So, there are two new weird things since my last post.  The one bit of good news is, MOST of the X Files, Seasons 1 through 10, have been extended for free On Demand viewing through May 31, 2018.  That's a good thing, and I thank Comcast for doing this, and also you, Zach, if you had anything to do with it.  😊

However, there are two strange exceptions.  There is one show that is still marked for expiration on 3/17 and, sure enough, it's the second half of the original series finale, Season 9, Episode 20, "The Truth Part 2."  It's possible this is just an oversight, and that it will be extended along with the rest;  we'll find out tomorrow. But if not, this means that even IF the first part of the finale, S9E19 "The Truth Part 1", ever gets fixed so that we can watch it, then we'll never get to see Parts 1 and 2 of the finale in succession. (It would be nice to see how Mulder comes back, and make sense out of all the witnesses at his trial, etc.)  I hope this is just a fluke, and that S9E20 won't disappear at midnight tonight.  And yes, S9E19 IS still showing the wrong episode, namely, S9E18 "Sunshine Days"; I checked it less than an hour ago.

The other weird thing is that while most of the X Files episodes remain free, there is one, Season 7, Episode 6, "The Goldberg Variation" that is suddenly a paid episode.  Why does this episode suddenly cost us $2.99 to view when all the others (as far as I can tell) are free? Annoyingly enough, this is one of the eps I skipped watching on my viewing binge in my attempt to get through all the mythology episodes before everything expired on 3/17.  Now, it seems that expiration is (mostly) not going to happen, but that particular episode is no longer available to us, at least not for free. And it's supposed to be one of the best episodes of Season 7, too. 

I swear, with everything that's wrong with the X Files On Demand episodes, it kind of feels like its own little conspiracy in and of itself.  There may be other On Demand shows that have the same number of issues, but I've never run across one before.  It's almost as though someone doesn't WANT us to see them all.  Hmmm.... 🤔 😉😉

Admin1

TARDISToni - The Truth is out there and we're trying to extract it from FOX. They can't hide the truth for long. We sent them the list of episodes you provided and they have resolved some of them. We'll continue to work with them on fixing these other episodes. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, Zach.  Appreciate the reply. Although actually FOX hid (and muddled) the truth on The X Files quite effectively for many, many years. 😉

Can you tell us, Zach, why S7E6 "The Goldberg Variation" and S9E20 "The Truth Part 2" are now paid episodes while all the rest, 200+ episodes, are free?  Seems a bit odd and unfair.  Especially as we still haven't gotten to see The Truth Part 1, which is the one missing episode (and which I understand wraps up a LOT of plot before the grand finale). Anything you can do about making this latter episode free again, under the circumstances?  

Heads-up to other X Files viewers: For now, "The Truth Part 2" is luckily still viewable under the title of S9E10 "Providence Part 2."  I also put in a case ticket on the missing episode S9E19 to Comcast a couple of days ago, as I had them on the phone anyway.  They said they'd be looking into it within 24 to 72 hours.  I'm not holding my breath that this will be fixed anytime soon.  However, given that they said they'd look into the mixed-up episodes business, and Zach has Fox looking into it as well, you may want to view The Truth Part 2 now, while you still can.  If they do manage to fix the mixed-up episodes fiasco, then that episode will only be available if you pay for it.  Yes, it is backwards, but I guess backwards is better than not at all.  Just ask Martin Wells from S8's "Redrum..." 😉

Frequent Visitor

I'd like to add, Zach, that S9E20 "The Truth Part 2" being made a paid episode feels like a tech error.  All of the X Files episodes were due to "end" on 3/17/18, and when I checked on 3/16, all of them for Season 1 through 10 except that particular episode had already been extended until 5/31, as noted above. It almost feels as though someone at Comcast was ticking boxes on a checklist for the expiration-date update, and the box for this episode didn't get checked, so it became a paid episode.  I hope that theory makes sense.  I can't say the same for The Goldberg Variation, as it was already a paid episode as of 3/16. (I think this one may have previously been available for free in SD only, whereas the rest are free in HD.  There was one episode that was when I initially looked months ago, but I'm not sure whether this was it or not.)

I could be wrong about that, but it just doesn't make sense why these two episodes alone should be paid.  And unlike the episode/title mix-up, which is a Fox matter, clearly the responsibility for deciding which episodes are paid and which are free must lie in Comcast's domain...?

Official Employee

I completely understand the frustration and where you're coming from. We upload the content provided to us by the networks. For more information on how to request channel content, please visit: ​https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/channel-availability-faqs/

That being said, we're still waiting to hear back about the episode concerns mentioned previously. I'll be sure to let you know as soon as we hear back.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Joseph, thank you for the reply.  We appreciate that you are awaiting the response of a third party about the content, and that this will take time.

However, what about the issue of two X Files episodes out of 217 being paid episodes, while the other 215 are free?  Certainly this is not up to the content provider.  I am wondering whether this was done intentionally by Comcast, or if it is an error.  I can understand certain full seasons being paid, and other full seasons free. But two random episodes in two different seasons doesn't make sense. Can you provide any explanation for this? 

Official Employee

I understand why it might look that way, but outside of content owned by Comcast we have little to no control over the availability or pricing within the On Demand library. Those are both provided to us by the network in control of the content.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Well, guys, Fox finally got one thing fixed! S9E19, The Truth Part 1 is OUT THERE!  And it's even in the right place, under the correct episode listing!  Maybe my phone call to Comcast finally did it. 

The Truth, Part 2 is still available under the title S9E10, Providence Part 2, as mentioned above, so you don't have to pay for the correct title listing.  At least, it is on my TV.  Who knows for how long this will be the case, so better catch them while you can.

I assume the rest of S9 is still mixed up - I haven't checked the rest aside from these two - but if so, at least we all have my handy episode guide to refer to above.  I'm glad I did that now.  😉  One episode is probably still missing;  I won't know which one until I check them all.  But under the circumstances, I guess this is about the best we can hope for at the moment.

Official Employee

Thanks for the update. I knew the truth was out there somewhere! Our On Demand team is currently engaged with FOX to make sure everything else is listed in the correct place. I'll let you know once we hear back and have another update to share.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Good evening. It looks like the issue with The Truth Part 2 has been resolved, but I still want to be sure. Can you check when you have a free moment to confirm that everything is now good to go?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Labels
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation