topics

Ultra High Definition Sampler App Now Available on Select LG Smart TVs

Frequent Visitor

Re: UHD sampler

Thanks! It is working!
Valued Contributor

Re: UHD sampler

MNtundraRET wrote:

I have been expirimenting with the UHD Sampler App this morning.

This time I left my Xfinity (Cisco RNG 150N) cable box turned off.

I watched a few episode's of 4K programs without any problems. The small Samsung remote functioned correctly on play/pause button. I was also able to used fast forward function at different speeds and then continue the episode without a problem.

I seems that if the cable box is turned on the compatibility issues are between the cable remote and Samsung remote (Samsung TV related).

Our Samsung TV's do not require the cable box to be turned on. All programing interactions are through the TV + Internet (DSL in my case) + Comcast Computer. The UHD Sampler app was down-loaded to our TV's and resides in the TV's memory.

The app seems to function fine if you leave the cable box turned off while using the app.

Had a tech out today, he did a few things and I was told my signal levels improved (From the other post).  But once again when I tried the app, all I got was the three dots.  This has now been escalated to Tier 2....I'm not holding out much hope to be able to view any 4K Olympics coverage.

Regular Visitor

Ultra HD Sampler not playing videos

Hi, I am trying to get the ultra hd sampler app on a Samsung 6500j 2015. Comes up like it is going to play the video, but the three little dots keep running. The internet is working and Netflix and Amazon both work. I have tried multiple shows they all do the same thing I have left it trying for 10-15 minutes and there has been no progress. The program is dated 8/1/16 and the tv is up to date. Any ideas or suggestions I would really like to watch the Olympics in 4k.
Valued Contributor

Re: Ultra HD Sampler not playing videos

Johnr12345 wrote:
Hi, I am trying to get the ultra hd sampler app on a Samsung 6500j 2015. Comes up like it is going to play the video, but the three little dots keep running. The internet is working and Netflix and Amazon both work. I have tried multiple shows they all do the same thing I have left it trying for 10-15 minutes and there has been no progress. The program is dated 8/1/16 and the tv is up to date. Any ideas or suggestions I would really like to watch the Olympics in 4k.

I'm in the same boat as you.  I've been trying to get this app working correctly for a week now so I can watch the Olympics too.  I had a tech at my house today to look into signal levels that I was told were out of spec.  After he did his work and the signal levels were better, I still only get the three dots. So nothing has changed. 

Comcast, I think it is time to realize that there is an issue on your end, with your app, and it has nothing to do with what is going on in our homes. Especially with more than one customer having the same issues.  All the other 4K apps and providers work fine.

Time to try and get this fixed, and soon, so we, as Comcast customers, can watch Olympic events in 4K, like you have promised us!

Valued Contributor

Does anyone at Comcast have any insight into this app???  Everyone I have talked to about it, either on these forums or in person, knows nothing about the app.  In fact, the Tech that came to my house yesterday for this reason had never dealt with the app before and could not get it to work.

The opening ceremony for the Olympics is in two days and it seems that several customers are complaing that this app simply doesn't work!

Problem Solver

Johnr:

Run a check for updates. You may have missed one on your Sanding UHD TV. I needed that one.
Regular Contributor

Re: Ultra HD Sampler app for Samsung UHD TV (2015 or newer)

What is the "Sports Mode?"  Doubles the refresh rate so as to reduce motion blur?

CIAO!

Ed N.
Contributor

Hi.

I just got a 2016 Samsung UHD set and installed the Ultra HD sampler app from Comcast.  While I have no problems watching episodes of Outlander, whenever I try to watch either the Rio Olympics sampler or the opening ceremonies, the video stops MANY times (probably due to buffering problems).

Since my Internet speed is consistently testing at over 150 Mbps, is there anything I can do to get these shows to play better?

Thanks.

Contributor

I have been able to get the olympics' videos to play, but they all stop MANY, MANY times with the three dots, which makes them really unwatchable.  My internet speed is Extreme 150, so not sure why the app is not keeping up.

Someone here had suggested that the Samsung UHD TV should not be in Sports mode, so I checked that setting, and see that it is in Standard mode.

If any suggestions are out there to resolve the playback buffering problem, I'm all ears.  :-)

Thanks.

Official Employee

Stangeek wrote:

I have been able to get the olympics' videos to play, but they all stop MANY, MANY times with the three dots, which makes them really unwatchable.  My internet speed is Extreme 150, so not sure why the app is not keeping up.

Someone here had suggested that the Samsung UHD TV should not be in Sports mode, so I checked that setting, and see that it is in Standard mode.

If any suggestions are out there to resolve the playback buffering problem, I'm all ears.  :-)

Thanks.

Take note of this post (message 145)

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Rio-Olympics-Support/td-p/2782163/page/3

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

We just got home today and I checked out the Ultra HD Sampler app.

The Rio Olympics (part 3) for Opening Ceremonies in (4K) HDR was there. App claimed that the program would be best watched in 50Mbps. What happened to the need for 15 Mbp's? Then I found an ad from Comcast pushing 50 Mbp's at a special price for one year on a two year contract. After a few more price increases over the first year they get their money back. Thanks, but No Thanks!

As it was I watched the show on DSL with only 12 Mbp's broad-band. There were a few times the program stopped to allow the buffer (3 dots blinking) to catch back up and resume the show. Their programers have done a better job creating a larger buffer and error tracking to keep the buffer from "overflow" and bombing the app.

My wife was using her Kindle Fire while I watched the episode, and the buffering only took about 15 seconds to continue the episode. This is currently acceptible for me. I will stick with DSL and 12 Mbps broad-band for now.

Contributor

Thank you, Andrew.

I'm not sure how that post is relevant to my problem.  I do see all the 4K HDR content for the olympics in the app.  My TV is the Samsung KU6300. 

The problem I have is with the 4k HDR playback.  It stops and has to buffer A LOT, which makes the video unwatchable.  I think my connection at over 150 Mbps should be more than adequate.

Jim

Problem Solver

I just got home today and watched the Rio Olymipics Openning Ceremony (part 3) shown in 4K(HDR), or parts of it anyway. The app recommends 50 Mbp's now. I watched it with only a few pauses (about 15 seconds) for the program to continue. They have fixed the app quite well.

I watched the app on DSL and only 12 Mbp's while wife used her Kindle Fire. I have to say this is the major difference between my success and other's failure. We are less then 5000 feet from the nearest Century Link transmitting center and they replaced phone lines recently. Cable company has not upgraded transmission cables to my home since around 1973.

Problem Solver

Go to the menu on your TV to turn "off" the HDR option. The TV resets by turning off and back on.

See if it makes any difference.

As for difference from Comcast internet versus DSL internet the problem is the volume of people on your transmission cable. Probably a 1000 time more than DSL. This is similar to WIFI at a campground. Used to work fine in the past. Now if a few try to down-load a movie the whole system fails.

Problem Solver

I just finished watching part 1 & 2 of the Olympics Opening Ceremonies (about 3 hours). The episodes played this morning without a single delay or problem. I turned on the TV's 3D Mode (2D to 3D conversion) for part 2. The program played in 3D was spectacular and trouble free.

I wish to thank the Comcast technical department in charge of the "Ultra HD Sampler" app for their quick adjustments made to the app for excellent streaming of the 4k/HDR from NBC Sports. I am sure you had little time test the replay and insure the app could be delivered working properly.

This app worked perfectly for me with the wife on the Internet with her Kindle Fire HD and our 12Mbp's broadband on DLS.

We are in the T.C. metro area in Minnesota. I guess the best advice for others in different parts of the country who might still have problems with this app is to deal directly with your closest Comcast Service Center to check their current availability to deliver this service.

Problem Solver

I just used the "Ultra HD Sampler" app this morning. Comcast worked on the app since yesterday and the app is working with absolutely no problems.

I watched Olympics Opening Ceremonies parts 1 and 2 (saw part 3 yesterday) today with no streaming problems at all. I watched part 2 in 3D mode (2D to 3D) witch was spectacular. See my earlier post under "Ultra HD Sampler for Samsung UHD TV's".

Problem Solver

Navigating this app can be a little confusing. When you see the Rio icons. or TV show icons, they work like a folder, Select the icon and you find another icon of program(s) under it. They haven't bothered to properly label some icons so the Rio icon for the 3 minute promo. now has a 15 minute preview of US athletes. This show played just fine for me, and is in 4K/HDR.

Edited to say they added their first replay of an event at 11:00 am CST. You will now find a new icon for "Judo".

It looks like the reason for the wait is that the sporting events may show only Semi-finals and Finals in 4K/HDR. This particular event is shown in 5 parts of about 50 minutes each (no commercials). Don't let the S1 Ep1 etc. bother you. The app was originally set up for TV shows in 4K.

Everything plays well with the exception that they are up-loading programing or possibly app fixes. That can cause short interruption in streaming video, or might bomb some watchers.

Problem Solver

Over the last month Comcast Teds and his crew have worked hard on this app to fix all problems I, and others, have mentioned. I have been watching almost all events and shows supplied on this app with out any problems. They are now up to revision 2016-08-26.

I consider this original post solved by Comcast.

Problem Solver

Re: UHD sampler App

Just an update on 9/14/16.

Since the latest update in August (2016_8_26) the app has continued to work fine on my Samsung TV. They have added the 2016 season to "Outlanders" and not much else since spring for 4K regular network programs. They still have the Rio Olympics provided in regular 4K, and HDR/4K. I have watched all of the older available 4K programing without problems.

I would like to see more 4K programing soon from Comcast to make up for their debacle in delivering 4K for the majority of customers with UHD (and/or 3D) televisions.

New Poster

I just get 3 dots whenever I try to play any episode in this app. I deleted and redownloaded the app , tried to update the firmware of my TV UN65JU7500 but my TV was already at version1462 which was the latest version. I am still not able to play anything on this app. Please help

Problem Solver

When we got home today, 10/14/65, I found a new Samsung UHD TV update "1463". I did the update and the "Ultra HD Sampler" app finaly worked again for me. It is possible that Comcast fixed the app since last Monday.

Do the update to 1463 and maybe the app will work for you too.

Regular Contributor

UHD Sampler app

Why do I have to sign in to this thing every 7 days? I can see signing in periodically, say every 30 days, like I have to with HBO Now. Or even, say, 10 days after I last used it. But, if I sign in today and use it every day for the next week, including next Monday, I will have to sign in again next Tuesday. Makes a whole lot of sense. 'Bout the only thing it does is makes me not want to use it.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Problem Solver

Re: UHD Sampler app

Hi Ed:

Glad to see the app is working for both of us now.

I was wondering about the same thing. It does seem we need to sign in more often. I hope we get new programs soon.

Mark

Regular Contributor

Hi Mark, Maybe I ought to challenge them to a race. See who comes in first -- either I get a new TV or they add more programming. Smiley Wink

CIAO!

Ed N.
Problem Solver

Well I guess the only thing that works perfectly on this app is the program to force signing back on every 7 days.

Happened again this morning. No new programing added. Not a peep from anyone about giving us any new programs,

They must be hoping everyone just forgets this app ever existed.

You don't really need a new television yet Ed, but you will most likely still win the bet.  Smiley Sad

Problem Solver

Sorry Ed:

Unless you bought a new TV yesterday, you lost the bet.

Comcast added 4 new episodes to the Cloud 9 program. Not much so far but enough to win the bet. Everything still working for me with the app.

Regular Contributor

I haven't even looked for a couple of weeks.

You're right -- I don't need a new TV -- I just want one. An increase in screen size of 10-15" plus HDR. Maybe by the time I get one, they'll have come out with the app for Roku and I won't have to deal with the Sampler app anymore (IF what they told we was correct).

CIAO!

Ed N.
Regular Contributor

Nothing new here.  Smiley Sad

Maybe that's why I don't really check that often -- having to login so often, and when I do there's nothing new.

MNtundraRET wrote:

Sorry Ed:

Unless you bought a new TV yesterday, you lost the bet.

Comcast added 4 new episodes to the Cloud 9 program. Not much so far but enough to win the bet. Everything still working for me with the app.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Problem Solver

Are you saying you did not find 5 episodes of "Superstore" under "show all" icon from the 2016 season?

I suppose it is possible that all metro service areas do not get shows for the Ultra HD Sampler app, or ON DEMAND (internet) , at the same time.

Regular Contributor

Ahhh.  When you said "Cloud 9," I thought it was a completely new show. My bad. 

I probably have them all, then.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Problem Solver

My 2015 Samsung 3D UHD tv had another version update from1463 (10/14/16) to 1464 (11/10/16) this morning.

I was wondering if Ed with his older Samsung UHD tv or others with a 2016 Samsung UHD tv are getting the same version number? Or do other years of Samsung UHD have their own version numbers?

Gold Problem Solver

Problem with UHD Sampler App

The UHD Sampler App is now asking me to follow a link to a web site in order to log in to the app. However the link provided is not valid.

I am wondering what has changed...?

Problem Solver

Re: Problem with UHD Sampler App

Rick:

Are you talking about the questionable sign-in screen I just saw about 5 minutes ago?

It asked if I needed to change my password. I just exited with out trying it.

Mark

Gold Problem Solver

It's a "Let's get started" screen that provides a web link and it wants me to enter a code. But the provided link is invalid.

MNtundraRET wrote:

Rick:

Are you talking about the questionable sign-in screen I just saw about 5 minutes ago?

It asked if I needed to change my password. I just exited with out trying it.

Mark

Problem Solver

I guess it is time to let everyone know Comcast has absolutely no 4K available just in time for Christmas.

Gold Problem Solver

That's my point.

However my Roku Ultra and Roku 4 are working just dandy......................

MNtundraRET wrote:

I guess it is time to let everyone know Comcast has absolutely no 4K available just in time for Christmas.

Gold Problem Solver

The good news is the sign in link now works. The bad news is I tried watching Superstore however the picture still breaks up and the audio still cuts in and out.

It's not watchable...

I will try more shows later today.

MNtundraRET wrote:

Problem Solver

I just checked the app. First try took about 30 seconds getting nothing and bombed back to the linear cable channel I was on.

Second try found the same screen seen yesterday. In no way would I try an "untrusted" site on a separate computer just to enter an app that used to take me about 200 to 400 mili-seconds to load on my smart tv.

Problem Solver

Rick:

I was just wondering if after going through hoops and ladders to finally connect to the app openning page, if you click on the "Ultra HD Sampler" now will it take you straight to the first screen to use the app?

I am also wondering if we are going to go through the same stupid sign-in all over again about every 7 days?

Mark

Gold Problem Solver

I was able to login normally today.

First episode of Superstore I tried did not work. Audio and video break ups.

However I tried two episodes of Outlander and a different episode of Superstore and they worked fine.

The app remains unreliable and unpredictable.

MNtundraRET wrote:

Rick:

I was just wondering if after going through hoops and ladders to finally connect to the app openning page, if you click on the "Ultra HD Sampler" now will it take you straight to the first screen to use the app?

I am also wondering if we are going to go through the same stupid sign-in all over again about every 7 days?

Mark

Problem Solver

Rick:

I tried that " bit.ly" address with both a "F" and "f" and came up with no site to enter the one time code on. Typical of the sub-par coding done on this app.

I am running Windows 7 on my Asus i7 gaming laptop.

Mark

Problem Solver

Since I am most likely the only person to actually get to watch all episodes of programs offered since May 2016 plus all the Rio Olympics programs on the "Ultra HD Sampler", they are starting to really bug me!

Now I can't even get back on the pitiful app.

Gold Problem Solver

Mark,

Go out and buy a Roku Ultra and don't look back. It could be the best $79 I have ever spent.

MNtundraRET wrote:

Since I am most like the only person to actually get to watch all episodes of programs offered since May 2016 plus all the Rio Olympics programs on the "Ultra HD Sampler", they are starting to really bug me!

Now I can't even get back on the pitiful app.

Problem Solver

Is that a box, or a thumb-drive, to plug into the USB port on my Samsung Hub?

Gold Problem Solver

It's a box, which is what I prefer. That leaves me the option of controlling them with my universal remotes. I am not a big fan of "sticks".

I have my Roku Ultra plugged in HDMI to my AV receiver, then HDMI out to my TV.

Works great.

If you don't have an AV receiver then HDMI out straight to your TV. 

MNtundraRET wrote:

Is that a box, or a thumb-drive, to plug into the USB port on my Samsung Hub?

Problem Solver

My TV requires my Cisco RNG150N be plugged into HDMI 1 (4K) port. HDMI 2 (4K) port gets the Sony 3D, 4K upscale, Blu-Ray player.

HDMI 3 is (HDMI to DVI) not being used. HDMI 4 (ARC) goes to my Sony S. S. A/V box.

My Samsung tv uses "Any Net" which allows tv to automatically connect to whatever peripheral is needed. Reason for current configuration.

Since my Sony A/V box is on the auto return HDMI, Could I use the HDMI (gaming) port of the A/V box?

Problem Solver

Rick:

I do have a "Plan B".

Unplug the Blu-ray on HDMI2. Plug the Roku into HDMI2 when wanted. Turning on the Roku would cause the TV to switch from HDMI1 (or TV if last on antenna) to HDMI2 to use the Roku.

I am assuming the Roku box is WIFI enabled and getting internet through my DSL.

Mark

Problem Solver

Rick:

They still have not created a way for me to connect to the app. Have they accually added anything to the app yet?

Mark

Problem Solver

I finally got connected on the "bit.ly" site tonight. I used Google Chrome again tonight but I entered the site address on the top Internet search line instead of Google Search in Google Chrome.

After getting on "Ultra HD Sampler" I see absolutely nothing new added in the last month. "Baa Humbug!"

Problem Solver

Rick:

I was just wondering if you can get the "All Episodes" icon (folder) to take you to "Season 1" , etc. folder and show all episodes for viewing.

Can you watch episodes from that point?

I am trying to narrow down problem from all brand TV's allowed to maybe just my Samsung TV remote.

Mark

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Labels
Discussion stats