Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Support for HBO Go on TiVo activations?

Frequent Visitor

Support for HBO Go on TiVo activations?

Hi,

HBO Go was just released for TiVo's today but Comcast/Xfinity is not on the list of providers (one of the few major cable companies not present in fact).

http://www.hbogo.com/activate/

"If your TV provider is not listed, access to HBO GO on Tivo® is not offered as part of your HBO subscription. Contact your TV provider and ask for HBO GO on Tivo®."

I believe it took quite some time before access to HBO Go was supported through Roku devices and I'm hoping that won't be the case with TiVo's.

Any help or information you can provide is appreciated.

Scott

Regular Contributor

Re: Support for HBO Go on TiVo activations?

Comcast hates HBO GO.  I don't know why but they do and block in on most devices unless they get some kind of kick-back (i.e. bribe) from the device manufacturer, which is the only reason I can think of which would explain why they allow it on some devices (Apple TV, Amazon TV) and not others (PS3, PS4).  My guess is TiVo didn't want to pay Comcast's bribe money.

Comcast claims that it's difficult to authenticating users with multiple devices for HBO and takes time (apparently years) to implement, but they have no problem authenticating various other services including apps from most cable and broadcast channels on Apple TV and iOS (and HBO GO on both platforms), so that's a fake answer.

New Poster

I am hoping COMCAST will realize Tivo users love Tivo and we will never switch to xfinity HDR's.  They are getting better.  But they are still are far cry from Tivo.

Come on Comcast let Tivo users activate HBOGO.  Stop being so greedy.

New Poster

I'm totally enraged about this. Registered a formal complaint through a Comcast rep. Supposed to receive a response within five business days. We'll see. In the meantime, you can obtain the same material in the very cumbersome Xfinity on Demand app. Picture quality also seems off.

New Poster

I so wish I could dump Comcast but I have no choice. This really makes me mad. One reason they do this is because xfinity subscribers who have HBO can just use the xfinity app. I would rather use HBO GO app.

New Poster

It's about time Comcast figured out what everybody else understands - let people consume media the way they want to. I don't like the dumb Xfinity app. I've centralized everything now through Tivo Bolt to my living room TV. Except HBO Go. Because of Comcast. <slaps head>

New Poster

HBO GO works on Chromecast so I switch from TiVO to Chromecast when I want it but it is annoying when my TiVO is ready for it and comcast is not.
New Poster

I suspect this has more to do with licensing royalties than technology as many HBO programs are available on Xfinity on Demand. Comcast probably invested in building out the infrastructure to offer HBO content on demand with some sort of revenue share when we watch those shows (even if they're offered at no cost).

HBOGo offering another path to this content would negate that royalty stream and kill the ROI on the investment.
Tags (2)
New Poster

HBO Go was just released for TiVo's today but Comcast/Xfinity is not on the list of providers (one of the few major cable companies not present in fact).

http://www.hbogo.com/activate/

"If your TV provider is not listed, access to HBO GO on Tivo® is not offered as part of your HBO subscription. Contact your TV provider and ask for HBO GO on Tivo®."

Comcast, please help!!!!!

New Poster

Well that's it. I am cutting the Cable tomorrow. Been paying Comcast WAY to much money for them to not allow me to watch they way I want. Was planning to call them next week to supply data for a new business. That is not going to happen either.
New Poster

I just discovered this. I might as well cancel HBO through xfinity and buy HBO go a la carte. I encourage you all to do the same and vote with your wallet.

I can't wait for real cable competition.

New Poster

I'm not hopeful.  The Comcast contact link from the hbogo.com support page about HBO Go on TiVo takes you to a help page for TV Everywhere.  I just spent over an hour online with Comcast support chat getting the runaround.  Apparently nobody in the Comcast support departments (cable or internet) knows anything about HBO Go on TiVo (or any other device).  On the other hand, I'm not very happy with HBO either - regardless of what I asked, they would not provide any real technical detail on what Comcast needs to do.

I'm still baffled why there is any differentiation between devices.  If a provider supports HBO Go, it shouldn't matter what device is used (unless the HBO Go auth system is an absolutely horrible design).

New Poster

Comcast does not currently support HBOgo on TiVo. Don't be fooled into thinking that this is because Comcast's technicians are baffled about how to do this. Look at the list of providers that do support this feature. It's a pretty long list and includes quiet a few providers substantially less sophisticated than Comcast. I'm sure the reason that Comcast does this is two fold. First they want the revenue they get from renting you a DVR and multiple tuners. Do they don't want you owning a TiVo and a bunch of minis. Second, they want the control that comes from owning the set top box. In fact that is more important than most people understand. And that is why they used to try and get an extra fee for "X1" but now they give it away to new users (at least they do if you "protest" paying for it). The FCC recently announced that they are trying to "open up" the set top box monopoly. G-d help us. I doubt the government will help. But it confirms the problem. This is not a "mistake" by Comcast or a technical "failing". It is strategy. So don't expect to see a solution soon. Still, the market is making it harder for the cable to pull off these "shenanigans". Keep putting pressure on Comcast. If they feel they will lose subscribers they may eventually give in.
New Poster

Yeah it would totally kill that return on investment on the investment.

Comcast is terrible though, not like it's hard to plug in a chromecast that costs 30 dollars and have the exact same Hbogo on it. Oh, I need a smartphone for that? Darn...if only I had an android or iPhone. Oh wait, I'm part of 99% of America so I totally have one of those.
New Poster

Comcast has no technical excuse for this -- they support other platforms like the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, so adding another platform should be marginal (or they have a major design flaw).  All they do is answer a SAML call from HBO to verify the features on the account, this is both trivial to implement and not resource intensive.  There's no technical argument that can explain why they can't implement HBO Go for Tivo.

Pulling BS like this on their paying customers is why Comcast is such a hated company.

Frequent Visitor

Use my Fire TV for this. Better to just forget Xfinity and if Google Fiber moves in to your neighborhood, get it as fast as you can.

Contributor

Just adding my name to the list of people requesting Comcast support the HBOGo app on TiVo.  It's just plain silly that they try to tell you which devices you can and can't watch on.

New Poster

Adding that I am also highly bummed by this!...Like many thing lately with comcast (like my $190 bill...smh, ridiculous...and I only have 1 movie channel lol) I have considered going to direct again and just getting a dvr thru them since they have contract with tivo again...I will never give up my tivo tho, love it!....6 years I've had 1 of my dvrs and not a single issue...EVER... If comcast could guarantee that then I'd use their equipment but since they usually last less then a year without problems I'll stick with my tivo😊
Regular Visitor

Bummed about this too but, not really surprised.

BTW Lisa444, Be aware the "Tivo" that directv now offers is not a real, fully operational Tivo. Does not even offer skip 30 unless recently changed. Had Directv offered a real fully functional Tivo, I would probably still be with them.

New Poster

Just adding my frustration. You see it added to the list of apps, go to activate and get nothing...

Just staring at my useless activation code on my TV....sigh...

Regular Contributor

The second largest provider, Time Warner Cable, added support for HBO Go on TiVo a week or two ago.  That leaves Comcast as the only large provider still blocking HBO Go on TiVo.  I can switch to Apple TV to use it, but I shouldn't have to do that. 

I notice there's been no official response to this thread. I wonder why that is?

New Poster

I also was surprised when Comcast-Xfinity was on my list when I signed up for HBO GO on my iPhone but when I went to register HBO GO for my TIVO no Comcast-Xfinity. Why is this??
New Poster

I see still no official response from Comcast.  This is ridiculous.

I could dump my cable tv and just get internet and phone but Comcast pricing is ludicrous ($185 for all three or almost $120 just for internet and phone).

As soon as I can get fiber to the home, I'm dumping Comcast unless they shape up (unlikely).  Unfortunately, there isn't anything pending as far as I know.  There's a few large apartment buildings with fiber to the building relatively near here but all the other offerings are just fiber to the node.  Smiley Sad

New Poster

You can get VOIP phone service from basictalk.com (a division of Vonage) for $10/mo plus tax vs. $40 from Comcast.

New Poster

Any replies from Comcast?

New Poster

Infuriating. $120 a month and I don't get the same thing Wave, DirectTV and TimeWarner do?

I went through this a while back trying to add it to my PS3 -- but again, Comcast is the s*ck. I can do it on my Xbox360 and XboxOne -- and was excited to see it on my TiVo -- but whatever. I'll just keep yelling at my XboxOne for it to open HBOGo.

As soon as there are other options for internet and cable in my neighborhood in Seattle, I am changing service. And that does not include CenturyLink -- they are even worse than Comcast -- believe it or not.

New Poster

I have a Tivo Bolt and an antenna on the garage.  I only got Xfinity because the lady at customer service on a tech support call upped my data rate to 150Mbps and lowered my montly by $20 and threw in a year of HBO.  I didn't even open the box on the digital settop, just mailed it back to them.  I stumbled across the HBOGO channel on Tivo and was surprised to find it not available, though it is on my PC and my cell phone.  So all I am paying for is the broadband at $62/month.

Admin1

Hello All -- We currently do not have any support for HBO Go on TiVo units. This is something we continually look at and assess. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I talked to tier 2 support about it yesterday and she assured me that the issue is with Tivo and that Comcast supports it.  Sounds like someone is lying.

New Poster

ComcastZach wrote: Hello All -- We currently do not have any support for HBO Go on TiVo units. This is something we continually look at and assess. 

What is the actual reason for this?

Specifically why on Apple TV, Xbox 360 and Xbox One -- but not TiVo? Not PS3? PS4?

No seriously -- what is the actual reason?

New Poster

bdlee420 wrote: "Sounds like someone is lying."

I'm guessing you're joking -- but in case not, no one was lying. Tier 2 support likely just didn't know what they were talking about. Like the rest of us -- they assumed that if it works for one thing (Apple TV, for example), then it works for all. I mean, logically it makes sense. So why not say that?

Which is why we are all asking -- why? Seems ridiculous that some people have to buy another device to get access to what they are paying for. Not everyone is dumb and wants to rent an X1 simply to have access to HBOGo. Especially if they've invested over a thousand dollars on a TiVo and lifetime subscription.

Which is why -- as soon as the city of Seattle stops forcing us to use one cable company -- rather than allowing us to choose -- most people will dump Comcast to try something else to see if the customer support and service is better. This is why people are cutting out the middle man and just signing up for Hulu, HBO Go and Netflix. I haven't done that yet, but this kind of nonsense only pushes me further toward that direction.

New Poster

oldmike60 wrote: "I stumbled across the HBOGO channel on Tivo and was surprised to find it not available, though it is on my PC and my cell phone."

If you have Windows 10 -- and your TV supports it, you might be able to stream/mirror it from your PC to your TV. If you have an Android or iPhone that supports it -- I recommend getting a Chromecast to do the same thing from your phone to your TV. That's what I did for my Mom. $30 for Chromecast at Best Buy to mirror what was on her iPhone, on her television. All you need is an HDMI port on your television. And it is tiny, so it won't take up any space. Just giving you options until there is a better one.

Regular Visitor

"Hello All -- We currently do not have any support for HBO Go on TiVo units. This is something we continually look at and assess."

Continually looking at and assessing something does nothing. If this is all you can post, why bother?

Frequent Visitor

"If you have Windows 10 -- and your TV supports it, you might be able to stream/mirror it from your PC to your TV. If you have an Android or iPhone that supports it -- I recommend getting a Chromecast to do the same thing from your phone to your TV. That's what I did for my Mom. $30 for Chromecast at Best Buy to mirror what was on her iPhone, on her television. All you need is an HDMI port on your television. And it is tiny, so it won't take up any space. Just giving you options until there is a better one."

It's much less about the ability to get HBO Go on ones TV and more about doing it with ones preferred method.  In the case of TiVo owners, that's with their TiVo.  I've got HBO Go built into 3 of my Samsung TVs, My PS3, PS4, Roku 3, Laptops, Tablets and PC.  That said, when I saw they finally added HBO Go to TiVo I was excited about it, then I couldn't get it registered.  I use my TiVo Roamio for most of my streaming, even the Xfinity streaming which I hate as it usually has forced comericial watching.

For the time being, I'll continue to use my PS4 in my Home Theater room to what HBO Go.

Contributor

ComcastZach wrote:

Hello All -- We currently do not have any support for HBO Go on TiVo units. This is something we continually look at and assess. 

Why does Comcast support HBO Go on some devices (like XBox and Apple TV) but not others (like PS3, PS4, TiVo)?  No other cable company cares which device their customers use to watch it.  Why should it matter at all to Comcast which devices we own?

Admin1

HBO Go availability on any platform are business decisions. Terms must be agreed upon by both parties. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

So put another way, it's not enough that Comcast is paid by its customers for HBO, they also feel entitled to a cut from Tivo to provide Tivo customers the service.<br><br>I wonder if the FCC will consider this a net neutrality violation. I realize that the negotiations are with Tivo, not HBO, but the impact is the same. It's worth reporting this to your state's public utilities commission (PUC) and the FCC. While we customers don't have leverage, they may be willing to tell Comcast to cut this BS or be fined.
Regular Visitor

ComcastZach wrote:

HBO Go availability on any platform are business decisions. Terms must be agreed upon by both parties. 

Once again, a meaningless statement. And once again I ask, why bother? Why bother posting at all? Wait until you can say "Comcast will begin supporting HBO Go on TiVo on (insert date here)." Then post.

New Poster

Is there a reason why Comcast does not support HBO Go on Tivo or PS4 units?  I can use HBO Go on XBox One, mobile, and Chromecast.  Also, Time Warner and most every other provider supports HBO GO on Tivo and PS4.  What is the reason and will you offer support for PS4 and Tivo in the near future?

Contributor

ComcastZach wrote:

It's odd that every other cable/satellitte company in the nation makes the "business decision" to support HBO Go on new devices immediately, while Comcast drags it's feet waiting for bribes from the device manufacturers.

I pay Comcast for HBO, they shouldn't care what device I watch it on, nor should they expect additional payments (bribes) from device manufacturers.

Tags (1)
New Poster

how does one add their name to the list of people asking Comcast to support HBO GO?
New Poster

Yeah, right. We all believe you.

Regular Visitor

subtle wrote:

ComcastZach wrote: Hello All -- We currently do not have any support for HBO Go on TiVo units. This is something we continually look at and assess. 

What is the actual reason for this?

Specifically why on Apple TV, Xbox 360 and Xbox One -- but not TiVo? Not PS3? PS4?

No seriously -- what is the actual reason?

My belief is that TiVo products are in direct competition with Xfinity and it is in their best interest to prevent Tivo from adding features that increase the value of using their (TiVo) products. I have a Tivo Bolt that allows me to no longer lease a DVR from Comcast. I have a TiVo Mini that, with the use of an HDMI splitter, has allowed me to no longer need digital outlets from Comcast. And the Tivo experience is actually more akin to X1 than it is to a plain vanilla HD set top box. 

The Comcast/Xfinity approach to services has long been that decisions that involve their own best interest versus that of their customers are most often made in favor of the company, not the consumer. It's unfortunate.

New Poster

Comcast - please add support for HBO GO on TiVo® ASAP. As much as I try to love my X1, i've been a Tivo user from the first year they were available and prefer to view Comcast content through my Tivo interface. 

New Poster

I agree.  "Please add support for HBO GO on TiVo® ASAP."  I really wish I had a better alternative to Comcast.  Sigh.

New Poster

Add my name to the list to get Tivo supported on HBOGo by Comcast.

It is ludicrous that they don't!!!    

This is why we should have net neutrality and standarized interfaces thet would not give cable providers veto power over devices and content.   

Contributor

YOu can add me to the list of those fed up with Comcast's ridiculous policy, to say nothing of the even more ridiculous (but not unexpected) reply from a supposed Comcast representative. 

Admin1

These are business decisions and deal with business terms and agreements between two parties. We have not reached an agreement with TiVo to support HBO Go on their platform. That is the reason. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Tags (2)
New Poster

Please add support for HBO GO on TiVo® ASAP! It is VERY disappointing that Comcast is slow to respond to this. Thanks

New Poster

Just tried to activate my TiVo on hbogo.com/activate, and was also disappointed to see Comcast / Xfinity not listed as a provider.

Checked out a simliar discussion over at the TiVo forum.  The moderator there just said "contact your cable provider" like it was all up to Comcast / Xfinity and they could just enable the service on your account.

At least ComcastZach gave a valid repose here on 4-14-2016 when he said, "These are business decisions and deal with business terms and agreements between two parties. We have not reached an agreement with TiVo to support HBO Go on their platform. That is the reason."

Understood.  Sounds to me like it's just above all of our paygrades.

Although I will say that other companies that were just recently receiving complaints in the TiVo forum (Time Warner, Direct TV, etc.) are now shown in the list of major providers.  I hope Comcast and TiVo reach an agreement soon and understand that their customers deserve it. 

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats