Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

SRM-8001 error when using Xfinity OnDemand

Frequent Visitor

SRM-8001 error when using Xfinity OnDemand

I contacted support via chat several weeks ago because I was receiving the SRM-8001 error code when I was trying to watch a movie that I had purchased. Since the instructions said to unplug/plug in the box to see if that solved the problem, my movie started over from the very beginning. It took me 15 minutes or so each time to fast forward to where I left off. I eventually gave up after about the fourth try and chatted with support. She said she can credit my account...and I guess that's where it was left.

This week, I started receiving the error again when I was watching a free show on a premium channel. It happened four times l ast night alone. I eventually stopped the unplug option and gave up on the whole thing.

First of all, this error is not new (search the boards). Secondly, I reported the error several weeks ago but giving a customer credit is a decent answer so it doesn't need to be escalated (??). Lastly, I just wrote a $172 check this month to Comcast which includes additional charges for OnDemand and the premium channel that I attempted to watch last night (and several weeks ago...) yet the error is keeping me from using those channels for the full amount that I pay each month.

Can someone please provide an update on a fix for this? If it's in progress, what is the scheduled delivery date for the fix? Sending a service tech out is just like crediting my account...it's a temp fix with no follow through and permanent fix. Posts date back to 2007 for this issue so some poor soul is going to pay out the ying yang and eventually post here in 2016 if the pattern continues...

I will be calling customer service to discuss the billing side of this but I wanted to post it on this board to cover my you-know-what in writing but I also hope that a support professional will respond with more information about a fix for this.

Thanks,

Your Customer

PS. When I searched for this issue on the forum, I found 3 different answers to fix the problem...so it's not fixed and no definitive cause has been determined - so any answer is being communicated to your customers. That doesn't make sense to me.

Cable Expert

Re: SRM-8001 error when using Xfinity OnDemand

The Comcast Cares Team has been notified and will contact the local group to follow up and get it fixed.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team during the business week.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

Video on Demand - SRM-8001         

Re-enter On Demand. Select ANY SD movie from the selection of free SD movies. Play that movie only until you get past the promo stuff and the actual movie begins.
Immediately hit Stop to exit that movie. You will end up in the On Demand Saved Shows screen showing partially viewed movies still available for viewing. Your SD movie will be there AND YOUR HD MOVIE AS WELL. Select the HD movie and Resume playback. It will work!
When the HD movie finishes you will find the HD movie and the SD movie still on the On Demand Saved Shows screen. To delete the HD movie from this list you must FIRST delete the SD movie you used above to get around the SRM-8001 error.
Frequent Visitor

I don't understand. I wasn't watching a HD movie when this happened so how is a HD movie listed in my saved shows? I wasn't watching a movie at all...I was watching a series. This also sounds like a temporary fix. I need Comcast to provide a delivery date for a permanent fix instead of asking their customers to jump through hoops for issues that they should own.
Problem Solver

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Thanks
-Keisha-
Frequent Visitor

ComcastKeisha,

I am getting the same error.  The OnDemand menu comes up fine, I can pick a program/movie, but I get a task bar on the bottom of the screen, and just black.  Eventually, it exits OnDemand on it's own.   One other twist.  It does pretty much the same thing when I try to view online.  I was thinking it was a billing department restriction, but was told no.   If you have any thoughts, I would appreciate it.  I do have a tech scheduled for next week though.

Thanks- Dave.

Regular Visitor

Regular Visitor

We are experiencing the same error, and we purchased to watch a movie tonight, it took several unplugs, cable disconnect, a call to India, and wait 30 minutes, well this is not helping with a hard decision on keeping the high monthly premium with Comcast, or using a digital antenna and renting shows that work when we want. This is really unaacceptable.
New Poster

tuning error my but. this happens to me every time i watch ondemand during peak prime time hours, on both my tv and internet. Its LAG, comcast is not pushing data fast enuf during high costumer usage period. you paying for it, but you have to share bandwidth with your neighborhood.

New Poster

SRM-8001 Error I get EVERY time I watch on Demand. Now since this is a show that's not going to be available for long how are you going to "credit" me for this problem. It's an ongoing problem - I have to power off and often restart a show I've almost finished; please don't tell me this is a peak hour time - it's 1:49 PM on a Thursday - NOT a peak hour - not a tuning error - just a random Comcast error. FIX IT!

New Poster

I've got the exact same problem. I've been on hold waiting to speak to someone from Comcast now for 15 minutes. I noticed that if I go to the saved shows screen and try to start the selection from there it works. This is definately a very frustrating problem. It's been an issue for us for the last week or so.

Regular Contributor

i am receiving this error all of a sudden. i was watching some shows on demand but when trying to watch another there is now no picture. what's going on?

New Poster

It is BEYOND annoying..

It's happening all the time. Sometimes after trying it again and again it will go through, sometimes not.  It is really poor service if Xfinity can't fix this after so many people reporting it for so many months/years.

I am not planning on changing service, but if I were to do it in the future, this would be the reason.  The least I would like to do is watch a TV show on demand that is supposed to be there and free.

(and NO, unplugging and replugging makes no difference)

New Poster

I have been a comcast customer for years, But up until recently never used a cable box. I upgraded in order to subscribe to Japanese TV programming (that has issues of its own I won't go into here) But I immediately started having the SRM-8001 error. I spent sometime with tech support, at which point they decided I needed a new cable box, so they sent me to the local Comcast walk in. I waited 1 hour in line, and when I finally got to the desk the lady there told me that I wasn't supposed to get ANY on demand channels at all. ?!? I said "I'm getting the error from WITHIN on demand, of course I have access to on demand" She told me that I absolutely should not have any on demand channels, and that is why I am getting the error. I told her that sometimes (rarely) the XOD show will work, and that if what she was saying was true, then why would't the technician have told me this right away, instead of sending me here? At that point she shrugged and said "MmmNnn" ...... She would not give me a new box, not that it will neccisarily fix the problem, but I've never been given such a run around from people who have no other desire than to just pass the problem on to someone else, or deny its existence. I was lied to right to my face and sent home. The SRM-8001 problem is real. I am paying for something that does not work. Customer service does not work. Comcast has failed.

Regular Visitor

Don't worry I got a new box because they said the old one was the issue....yea still having this error code..also someone's going to ask oh the the cables aren't tight enough...they are all tight and really can't get tighter. So..the ball is back in your hands comcast...I don't pay for premium channels to not be able to watch then on demand.
New Poster

Worked for me!! And yes, to the OP, yes you will find the HD movie in the saved programs list... If you've already been trying to play it, it should be there anyway!! :

Oh, PS: Thanks a lot, rog286713, you really should be a GOLD Problem solver!! Every single time I've come to this site for help; it's been you who've helped me.. I thought I'd give you some "real kudos" now, so there ya go!!

-Thanks again!!

Frequent Visitor

I am getting this error now when I try to viewany option on the on demand menu.  It worked this morning and now it doesn't.  I've checked

Frequent Visitor

I am getting this error now when I try to viewany option on the on demand menu.  It worked this morning and now it doesn't.  I've checked and connections are tight and I've unplugged it and it still doesn't work.  What to do next?

New Poster

Just as acj405 predicted, well on the way to 2016.... It's late March, 2014, and we paid a lot of money to rent a movie from the luxury of our couch, 499% more money to be exact than if we were to have drove 3 minutes up the road to rent a video. We've tightened cables and spent quite a while now waiting for the channels/ guide to repopulate but still no such luck! Was anyone else slightly late on their bill when this starting occurring by chance? We are, but slightly as in a couple of days, so I'm going to pay the small, slightly overdue amount now and see if that magically corrects the issue and then going to get some credits and a new cable box as well as some free months of premium channels if it persists after that! Any suggestions are appreciated!
Silver Problem Solver

The only time your VOD would stop working for billing issues is if you went over your credit limit. Most accounts have $200 worth of credit they can use for VOD purchases, if you exceed that you must pay the balance before you can buy stuff again. However, the error codes for that are 36896 or 0x9020

Frequent Visitor

Getting the SRM-8001 error about every other day. about ready to cancel cable. Netflix works perfectly 24/7/365, year in and year out. Even if Comcast can fix it, this is just one of a series of problems. Why pay for a service where you have to call and get something fixed every few months?
Bronze Problem Solver

Hunt2 wrote:
Getting the SRM-8001 error about every other day. about ready to cancel cable. Netflix works perfectly 24/7/365, year in and year out. Even if Comcast can fix it, this is just one of a series of problems. Why pay for a service where you have to call and get something fixed every few months?

Maybe this will give you some additional information - http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/top-video-on-demand-error-codes/#errorbox4

New Poster

And what will the BILLED SERVICE CHARGE [for this "fix"] be?  ('cause I've BEEN there! Comcast ALWAYS finds a way to charge US for THEIR screw-ups; always, always, ALWAYS!)

The big news story would be an effective, PROMPT fix at no extra charge.  IE: Good customer service  STANDARD, rather than the minor miracle it actually is.

Silver Problem Solver

Adaspera wrote:

And what will the BILLED SERVICE CHARGE [for this "fix"] be?  ('cause I've BEEN there! Comcast ALWAYS finds a way to charge US for THEIR screw-ups; always, always, ALWAYS!)

The big news story would be an effective, PROMPT fix at no extra charge.  IE: Good customer service  STANDARD, rather than the minor miracle it actually is.

Just because you always have issues in the house that aren't comcast issues doesn't mean that it's the company looking for ways to charge you. I swear some people just jump to conclusions and just look for random ways to blame someone else.

Contributor

It might be the box you are using. I have read lots of problems with Motorola DCT2000 boxes.being used a lot and very old. Anyway just wanted to chime in that I had this issue, and also like to thank Rog286713 in his solution of going back in and continuing on from the saved movie that didnt work first time. This cleared the problem, but I am not under the illusion that these problems will not reappear.again, but maybe I have a solution. Luckily online watching seems to be ok and I tend to use that anyway..

Frequent Visitor

Got a service tech to come out and replace the cable leading to my house and hardware outside the house. On Demand working consistently now. I find I have to get cables/hardware replaced every couple of years to get a strong enough signal. On Demand needs a stronger signal than regular cable, according to a representative I talked to on the phone. 

New Poster

i have been getting the error all night long, its 3:20 am and unpluggign has not worked, not only am i paying a ton of money a month im also paying the extra 4.99 a month extra for certain on demand services.....with so many competittors in the market you'd expect ebtter service. 

Contributor

Quick update on this. I tightened all my cables a while back and had a new cable run installed last year due to other issues. so now it works more often. Also the tip about if it fails is to quickly try it again and it will resume usually ( ie try.. it fails. go back to ch 1 . click on recently viewed section.. it should show there. then click resume and 9/10 it will work..).. But if it persists, I would get a tech out to check the cables in . my 2 cents Smiley Wink

Regular Visitor

Just TRY Rog's suggestion. It worked for me. Forget the reference to HD. Just try his suggestion!

New Poster

Well it is June 2014, and I have had the SRM-8001 message for On-Demand. Just trying to watch a TV Show that I missed.  I see this problem has been an issue for years by reading the messages.  There should be a way where our bills are credited when we are not getting what we are paying for. Customers should not have to unplug our boxes all the time.

New Poster

I "upgraded" to the X1 system a couple months ago, a "tech" showed up 2 hours late, slapped everything in and left. Long story but half the stuff he installed didn’t work and it took a month to straighten it out.  Not to mention he didn’t tell me one single thing about the new systems.  Anyway, ever since I went to this X1 system OnDemand has been hit or miss, some days I can get to whatever I want, others I get a screen as if something is loading, it fails and a message to either try again or cancel. If i select Try Again, the screen flashes back to regular TV and does nothing.  Calling technical support is a complete waste of time, the last time I called about this issue I waited 45 minutes on hold and when the "tech" asked me to reboot the box, I told him I did that right before calling, he said nothing for a couple minutes then hung up on me.  I called to have the movie I ordered removed from my bill which they did.  On a prior call about this issue the tech told me that depending on how many people on my street that are using OnDemand will determine the quality of the service.  I told him I don’t recall seeing this bit of information on the X1 Comcast commercials.  I think this is a problem on the Comcast side of things that they will not own up to and let people waste hours upon hours on useless technical support calls while they try to fix the issue in the background.  Comcast can you please respond with an update on this massive issue we are all experiencing???

Regular Visitor

Long time comcast customer and I have the same problem on all 4 of my tv's. 3 are digital and one is HD. So now what, FIOS?

Regular Visitor

After many months of poor customer service at work and home, finally made the switch to EPB FI, we are saving $50 per month, and all is working perfectly. Sorry Comcast, seems you are too large a company to deliver quality customer service. 

Randy S.

Official Employee
Moved:

Contributor

Wow, this problem is from 2011 and is still happening? How can you expect to get good customer feedback when there are network/hardware issues steming from three years ago and still a problem. Unplugging your cable box while it is recording 3 shows is not a resolution. 

Service Expert

3+ Year old thread being closed.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Tags (1)