Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

On-Demand Team hasn’t processed latest PBS files

Problem Solver

On-Demand Team hasn’t processed latest PBS files

I spoke to PBS National this afternoon, and they say they have supplied the raw video files for this weeks’s shows to Comcast. At minimum, we’re not seeing on HD and SD TV menus:

1) Sun 01 July: Endeavour S5E2
2) Sun 01 July: Tunnel S3E1
3) Tue 03 July: Civilizations S1E9

I also dialed Comcast, and finally got transferred to a good tech rep. He confirmed what reps answering this forum have failed to clarify. Namely, that providers do not directly control what we see in On Demand menus. They provide files to Comcast, who must process them (including encoding) before they appear in On Demand menus.

Unofficially, the rep suspected that on holiday weeks like this, the On Demand team May well be short-handed. He thought it entirely plausible that the missing PBS shows awaited Comcast processing. I suspect the same for the latest Pose (FX) episode.

For an enterprise as large as Comcast, I find it troubling that the On Demand team is left struggling during any week, holidays or not. Where is management or supervision in having backups trained here? It affects customers nation wide, after all. Comcast is not the low-price alternative for cable access.
Problem Solver

Re: On-Demand Team hasn’t processed latest PBS files

Comcast, get this taken care of without further delay - PBS shows have a short shelf-life!  

Tags (3)
Regular Contributor

@ForrestS wrote:
I spoke to PBS National this afternoon, and they say they have supplied the raw video files for this weeks’s shows to Comcast. At minimum, we’re not seeing on HD and SD TV menus:

1) Sun 01 July: Endeavour S5E2
2) Sun 01 July: Tunnel S3E1
3) Tue 03 July: Civilizations S1E9

I also dialed Comcast, and finally got transferred to a good tech rep. He confirmed what reps answering this forum have failed to clarify. Namely, that providers do not directly control what we see in On Demand menus. They provide files to Comcast, who must process them (including encoding) before they appear in On Demand menus.

Unofficially, the rep suspected that on holiday weeks like this, the On Demand team May well be short-handed. He thought it entirely plausible that the missing PBS shows awaited Comcast processing. I suspect the same for the latest Pose (FX) episode.

For an enterprise as large as Comcast, I find it troubling that the On Demand team is left struggling during any week, holidays or not. Where is management or supervision in having backups trained here? It affects customers nation wide, after all. Comcast is not the low-price alternative for cable access.

Postings like yours are the reason I come here.  Excellent information, especially that we're not likely to get from Comcast mods directly.  Well done!

Problem Solver

Well thank you, whether you be “Mr Fan of musical artist Shvd”, or “Mrs Fan of holographic disks of the 00 decade” 😎

As of now, it looks like the PBS shows are established, except for Endeavour. Episode 1 might still be available via Search (it is so named), but the latest ep 2 only appears under HD. Presume the fix is still in progress.

It would be nice if Comcast comments on what the problem really was. E.g., if the problem was in how PBS delivered the files, only made correct by this weekend, it would help to know. Otherwise we’ll continue to assume some sort of problem in the management of the On Demand team not meeting valid and reasonable expectations of us paying customers.
Problem Solver

My missing list of episodes are now, a full week after airing, finally available. No surprise to me that last night’s episodes of Endeavour (E3) and Tunnel (E2) are not yet posted.

This thread is not done, not resolved, until Comcast comments. We need more info so that, next time, we’ll know to whom to properly address complaints: the content providers, or the On-Demand team.

If the root cause problem here was an issue with PBS’s files, why didn’t Comcast comment here many days ago, letting folks know that?
Regular Contributor

@ForrestS wrote:
Well thank you, whether you be “Mr Fan of musical artist Shvd”, or “Mrs Fan of holographic disks of the 00 decade” 😎

As of now, it looks like the PBS shows are established, except for Endeavour. Episode 1 might still be available via Search (it is so named), but the latest ep 2 only appears under HD. Presume the fix is still in progress.

It would be nice if Comcast comments on what the problem really was. E.g., if the problem was in how PBS delivered the files, only made correct by this weekend, it would help to know. Otherwise we’ll continue to assume some sort of problem in the management of the On Demand team not meeting valid and reasonable expectations of us paying customers.

I am Mrs. Happy Valentine's Day!  ;-)

Problem Solver

Good thing I didn’t close this thread, as the problem persists, as we’ve seen from others in newer threads.

At minimum, we’re missing the following from both SD and HD television viewing menus; most if not all are missing from the Xfinity Stream app, too:

1) Sun 08 July: Tunnel S3E2
2) Sun 08 July: Endeavour S5E3
3) Mon 09 July: POV: Worker’s Cup
4) Tue 10 July: 10 Streets that Changed America

And there may be more. I spoke again with PBS National this morning, and they are unaware of problems on their end. The woman I spoke with even revealed she had contacted the PBS Legal Department to make them aware of the number of calls received on this matter, to determine if delays in Comcast offering materials for On Demand were contractual in nature.

At minimum, can’t Comcast reply and give a perspective? Is the problem actually on PBS’s end? We pay for this service, we at least deserve some information when delays in service go on this long.
Contributor

Thanks for pressing the issue on this. It's now late Wednesday afternoon here in Northern California, and we're still waiting for Episode 3 of Endeavor that aired on Sunday. I'd like to know what we can do to get their attention. Comcast, are you listening?
Problem Solver

I dunno...maybe it is time to contact higher level folks about all these problems. They might not even be aware. I found this list:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/comcast/
Contributor

As of today, Friday 7/13, Endeavour Episode 3 is available in both SD and HD. I haven't checked the other PBS shows missing current episodes. Hopefully they are there as well.
Regular Contributor

@ForrestS wrote:
Good thing I didn’t close this thread, as the problem persists, as we’ve seen from others in newer threads.

At minimum, we’re missing the following from both SD and HD television viewing menus; most if not all are missing from the Xfinity Stream app, too:

1) Sun 08 July: Tunnel S3E2
2) Sun 08 July: Endeavour S5E3
3) Mon 09 July: POV: Worker’s Cup
4) Tue 10 July: 10 Streets that Changed America

And there may be more. I spoke again with PBS National this morning, and they are unaware of problems on their end. The woman I spoke with even revealed she had contacted the PBS Legal Department to make them aware of the number of calls received on this matter, to determine if delays in Comcast offering materials for On Demand were contractual in nature.

At minimum, can’t Comcast reply and give a perspective? Is the problem actually on PBS’s end? We pay for this service, we at least deserve some information when delays in service go on this long.

We have the latest episodes of The Tunnel and Endeavour on both SD and HD as of this morning.  Our PBS OnDemand menus do not include POV or "10 Streets....", so can't help you there.

Regular Contributor

@SortaSour wrote:
As of today, Friday 7/13, Endeavour Episode 3 is available in both SD and HD. I haven't checked the other PBS shows missing current episodes. Hopefully they are there as well.

Endeavour and The Tunnel are both up to date on our menus.

Problem Solver

These recent PBS shows are still missing:

A - POV: Worker’s Cup (ep 5 of current season) - aired July 9th

B - Rockies: Kingdom of the Sky - aired July 11th

Yesterday (July 13th) I also saw missing-for-several-day shows finally appear from Discovery, Oxygen, and Syfy networks. Is it the new On Demand policy to withhold publishing some items for several days, including PBS?