Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

HINDSIGHT: 4K OnDemand Olympics Looked Pretty Awful

Valued Contributor

HINDSIGHT: 4K OnDemand Olympics Looked Pretty Awful

I found the 4K picture quality to be worse than the images that were in 1080 on the NBC assortment of channels. 

The 4K material was dull, and lacked good color saturation.  Even the inserted NBC Olympic logo on 4K material was pastel in appearance. Boosting color setting on a Sony XBR75 Z9D brought up more noise, since there was low Chroma to begin with.

On the AVS forum, other members who subscribe to difference services, were raving about the quality of their 4K Olympic experience.

PS: My Comcast 4K Netflix looks very good, although not as good as the Netflix application in the Sony.

Problem Solver

Re: HINDSIGHT: 4K OnDemand Olympics Looked Pretty Awful

@LeeSoFL wrote:

I found the 4K picture quality to be worse than the images that were in 1080 on the NBC assortment of channels. 

The 4K material was dull, and lacked good color saturation.  Even the inserted NBC Olympic logo on 4K material was pastel in appearance. Boosting color setting on a Sony XBR75 Z9D brought up more noise, since there was low Chroma to begin with.

On the AVS forum, other members who subscribe to difference services, were raving about the quality of their 4K Olympic experience.

PS: My Comcast 4K Netflix looks very good, although not as good as the Netflix application in the Sony.

Sometimes when playing 4K, the amount of traffic on your local trunk line in your neighborhood can affect your current signal.

A good way to see what is going on is to go to You Tube. They have been upgrading their system The latest revision was just a few days ago.

Select one of the videos filmed in 4K. You Tube will normally choose highest resolution to output to your television based one whether your initial signal is keeping up with the buffer.

After starting the 4K video you should see a small box on right side of title showing "4K". If it shows "HD", hit select button on tv remote and move left to options and select it. move right to 4K and select it. You will now see what resolution You Tube chose. It might have checked 1440p (2K), or 1080P (1K). If you choose a higher resolution like 2160p (4K) it will stay in that resolution but you may see the video stop (showing buffering) and run a short period before more buffering.

I have found that you can run 1440P (2K) without problems at around 11 Mbps/sec. You will need about 15 Mbps/sec. to run 4K without problems.

If everything works okay here the problem is certainly with the Comcast equipment or their Internet service.

From a practical standpoint the average person with 20/20 (adjusted vision) would not see the difference from 2K (up-scaled to 4K) versus actual 4K video.

Valued Contributor

Signal strength here is just fine, and I've been getting 4K Netflix at 16Mpbs (full 3840x2160) since 2013.  I'm also able to see, in real time, the streaming strength of the many 4K sources I view, both through Comcast and other providers.

The Comcast offered, 4K OnDemand for the Olympics (not the programming that switched to YouTube) was low in color saturation, and therefore was unpleasant to watch.  In fact, since it still being offered, I checked one last night, and it's still the washed out, lousy, unimpressive image it was three weeks ago.

On Netflix 4K, go to "Test Patterns S1:E8 Multipurpose Chart 3840x2160: 60fps

That is the true indication of the type of speed, luminance, chroma, convergence and rastar boundry, you're receiving.  Oh it also provides 7.1 multichannel audio check, including subwoofer tests.

End note: The Comcast 4K OnDemand Olympics looked pretty awful, and still does.

Problem Solver

I have yet to deal with any X1 cable-boxs or DVR's. All my 4K viewing from Comcast came through their "Ultra HD Sampler" app since April 2015.

The 4K programing was delivered over Wifi directly to the television on DLS high-speed broadband. No problems at all when viewing Rio Olympics in 4K HDR that time. My Cisico HD cable-box could be left turned off when using the 4K app.

I won't be rushing in to get any 4K equipment from Comcast until they get 4K working on linear cable. There wouldn't have been any problems this time for Winter Olympics if they had just used the "Ultra HD Sampler" app in addition to testing their current equipment. I only have their single cable for linear cable, and all rooms in the house (except 2 bathrooms) and handle DSL.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation