New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HD On Demand Folder Removed From Non-X1 TV Boxes

Posted by
Administrator

Message 1 of 13

Effective Tuesday, 04/12/2017, the HD On Demand folder will be removed from the On Demand menu on non-XFINITY X1 TV boxes. This update will help streamline the customer experience and decrease the overall number of low-usage On Demand folders.

Please note that no HD content is being removed from XFINITY On Demand, and it can still be found in other related folders, such as Networks and Shows. 

TLK3231_041117_01.png

Here are some frequently asked questions:

Why was the HD On Demand folder removed?

As we continue to optimize our On-Screen Guide and On Demand menus, we have decided to discontinue the HD On Demand folder in favor of other, more popular folders that host the same content, such as Networks and Shows.

Did I lose any HD content because of this change?

While our On Demand content offerings are continually being reviewed and updated, there were no changes to your HD content as a result of the HD On Demand folder being removed.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
12 REPLIES
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 2 of 13

YUCK! I often used it when looking through movies on Starz, as they are all just jumbled together. Without the HD filter, it now means I have to slog through twice as many listings. I've also seen this with some networks that don't always separate SD and HD episodes or movies into separate categories.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 13
  • I'm sorry to tell you this, but the HD content is not there. I tried two programs that I usually watch and only SD was available.  I can't find the HD programs anywhere.  An email would have been nice to explain the change.  I get plenty of emails from Comcast trying to sell me more stuff.  But alas, as I try to watch a program in SD (and I find it hard to go back to that), I thought I should stop and find out if anyone else is having this problem, only to see your post.  Well, it doesn't work.  We watch most of our TV programs on On Demand and this might be the straw to break the camel's back if the HD versions of EVERY program don't  come back.
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 4 of 13
I just spent two days trying to figure out why my cable box was broken and the HD on demand listings weren't showing. Now I read here that Comcast deleted the HD on demand folder on purpose. UNBELIEVABLE STUPIDITY!!! I could see taking SD listings page down. SD is a dying technology. But do you really think HD is not here to stay? HD is a fad? All the new TV's are HD now, you can't even buy an SD set anymore! Seriously Comcast, this is like taking down digital music and going back to records. The HD on demand listings are not complete on the other folders and we'll have to scroll through twice as many menus looking for on demand content that just isn't there in HD. The HD on demand folder was the only one I used. Now it's gone in favor of SD listings. With decisions like this, Comcast is becoming the typewriter of the cable industry.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 5 of 13

Technically, nothing should be missing. You just have to slog through more menus to get to it. Most TV networks have separate "Title" and "Title HD" folders. The movie channels just list the movie twice.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 13

Maybe technically, but not in real life for me.  Let's say we want to watch The Amazing Race. Under TV Shows, Shows A-C, then The Amazing Race, there is a listing of four SD programs. No page 2.  No HD. Same with Designated Survivor, although today, there appeared a dedicated link to the program on the main page with both HD and SD. 

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 7 of 13

Have you tried going to TV Shows/By Network/Broadcast Networks/CBS?

OnDemandHD.jpg

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 8 of 13

Bingo. That does it. Bad UI, for sure.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 9 of 13

Also remembered that when you are on that TV Shows menu, there are separate 'Shows A-C' and 'Shows A-C HD' (etc...) listings.

OnDemandHD2.jpg

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 10 of 13
You are correct! We just tried to watch Better Call Saul on demand and couldn't get through the episode in SD! It was awful!! Yet last week it was in HD!! With al the money we pay really??
Posted by
Administrator

Message 11 of 13
Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 13

I have thought that the menus should be "smarter," and a setup option could let you choose:
-> Show me everything

-> Show me only HD

-> Show me only SD

-> Show me only the highest resolution available for each episode.

That would cut down navigation steps for a lot of people, but still allow checking the "other resolution" for availability by temporarily changing your setup choice.

Also, since you say you want to "help streamline the customer experience," I think most everybody would save a step if you'd put "By Network" as the first thing to appear when "TV Shows" is selected, rather than "XFINITY Top 20".  I think most people know what they want to get to most of the time, rather than browse other people's choices!  (I also think it would be better to have "TV Shows" be at the top when On Demand is selected in the first place, rather than all those pay things you want to sell us.  It's kind of annoying to have to press 4 keys just to get to "TV Shows" all the time.)

Posted by
New Poster
Message 13 of 13

I was also baffled by the removal of HD programming links in the menu.  What's worse is I only watch HBO OD.  Hit Channel 549 to get the HD content and not bother with anything else.   Now that HD link is gone from that also.  I have to go all the way through the Xfinity OD menus.  What took me a few remote button pushes to watch Silicon Valley new takes dozens.

Thanks Xfinity.