members

online now

discussions

Costs for past season episodes

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Costs for past season episodes

Im curious - we recently discovered we liked a TV series. We watched a season of recordings this year. We went back to get season 1, but it  was $2.99 ea for 24 episodes. What the heck?  I abandoned Comcast and went to NetFlix, and it was all free. How can it be ~$72 on Comcast for season one, but $0.00 on Netflix?

Accepted Solution

Re: Costs for past season episodes

That is not a correct answer to the question.

Content owners (network, producers, studios) determine what, if anything, to make available for On Demand viewing.

In the case of past season episodes of programs, the owners decided to charge for them for On Demand.

Comcast is not the only provider with a charge for past seasons. If they are available in On Demand from other tv providers there will also be a charge for them.

As for it being free on Netflix, it could contractual between Netflix and content owners-no extra charge for Netflix viewing

View answer in context
Regular Contributor

Yes, I figured as much. There must be people lazy enough to pay it, that they would even attempt to charge for something that is free elsewhere.

Service Expert

That is not a correct answer to the question.

Content owners (network, producers, studios) determine what, if anything, to make available for On Demand viewing.

In the case of past season episodes of programs, the owners decided to charge for them for On Demand.

Comcast is not the only provider with a charge for past seasons. If they are available in On Demand from other tv providers there will also be a charge for them.

As for it being free on Netflix, it could contractual between Netflix and content owners-no extra charge for Netflix viewing

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

It's not exactly free, you have to pay Netflix $10 a month. It can be removed from Netfilx at anytime if they decide to stop paying for the series.Smiley Happy

Service Expert

dwhitam,  You do make an excellent point.

The services are paid for but the difference is that with Netflix you don't pay again to watch what is charged for in On Demand for past seasons of a show.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

This is all very interesting. and one more nail in the coffin for traditional providers. I left DirecTV to downgrade to Comcast. Comcast is rapidly making its own argument that I should just dump traditional providers altogether.

Admin1
Moved:

Admin1
Moved: