Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast now charging for On Demand shows that are not new season?

Contributor

Comcast now charging for On Demand shows that are not new season?

Visiting family and brother told me Comcast On Demand is now charging for shows for

previous season???!!  I didn't believe him and he brought up Blacklist last season and

to watch it he was going to have to pay $3.99 per episode!!   Is this right and when did

it start?  Surprised I don't see a whole lot of outrage on this board.  I have been Comcast subscriber

for over 20 yeas - this better not be on my tv when I get home or I will have to do some serious

thinking about my service.

New Poster

Paying for last season's shows...ridiculous!

I just went to view a previous season's TV show and found that Comcast now charges -- how can that be? I've paid for these channels on cable already. At this point, seems like TV cable bill worthless...New services available sans cable TV probably the answer.

New Poster

Re: Paying for last season's shows...ridiculous!

I totally agree, we pay for these channels whether they be premium or not then you are charged again if you want to refresh an episode from the previous season. I wanted to watch the last episode of a couple shows before the new fall season began and there is a charge for these this is ridiculous and very poor customer service to paying customers.

Frequent Visitor

I too agree!  This is absolutely ridiculous!  Funny how I got to watch all of the previous seasons for True Blood for free, but any other previous season I have to pay for.  This needs to be changed immediately or I will not be renewing my contract when its done and will be going to Direct TV or Verizon Fios.  Its bad enough I have to wait for a new season to be close to starting before I can access the previous seasons, I dont like to start a new show 4 seasons in and not know what is going on.

Tags (1)
New Poster

You are all so right.  I pay for cable and I pay for the On-Demand service.  The Blacklist and Sleepy Hollow are not premium channel shows for which I do not have the subscription.  I am annoyed enough by the fact that I would have to pay to catch up on Mad Men, The Walking Dead, and The Bridge (I did not pay for them and am not going to watch the new seasons), but paying for an regular network shows is ridiculous.  Things like this are going to make me get rid of my cable service.

Has anyone complaining about this changed yet?  Let me know if you found better options.

New Poster

Paying ADDITIONAL FEES to watch back episodes of TV shows

I pay HUGE amounts as it is to have a "triple" package...only now recently, last few months at some point,  I have to pay ADDITIONAL FEES to watch back episodes of a TV show I missed from last season. Sure....can buy the whole season or pay $2.99, $3.99+ to watch something I've paid for already.  I feel very much taken advantage from here. Paying more & more, getting less and less.  Honestly, over 200.00 monthly....good third of that is taxes, fees, user fees for this, user fees for that....yet I'm using less. Personally I can't afford this anymore, looking to cut costs......entertainment is always the first to go.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Paying ADDITIONAL FEES to watch back episodes of TV shows

Yell at the networks and production companies. Previous seasons are treated as if they are discs or syndicated.

New Poster

It's called a "revenue stream."

And while they charge us the additional charges to watch past seasons on demand, which we presumed to be paid for in the agreement we made when we signed on,  I now foresee the day coming when even current seasons that we already paid for in our bill, will be charged extra ON DEMAND.

They are also trying out a technology that inserts up-to-date commercials into past episodes of TV shows that are available on demand, "a development that could help television networks generate additional revenue."

"The new technology is meant to give TV networks a way to earn ad dollars from earlier episodes."

"Currently, most advertisers only pay for ads watched live or within three days after a show airs. That could change if Comcast's technology, which it developed in partnership with Nielsen, is widely adopted.

With the new service it is testing, Comcast will take the same commercials that aired live and insert them into a show's older episodes that are watched on demand. TV networks can try to broker deals with advertisers to pay for the additional viewership, which will be measured by Nielsen.

For now, the technology only applies to shows on broadcast TV networks. Comcast subscribers cannot fast-forward ads when they watch on-demand shows from the broadcast networks."

Nickel and diming.

Not only that but, because they lost so many subscribers , someone has to make up the difference.You and me.

The Electric Utility companies are doing the same thing in regions where people generate solar power and feed the extra into the grid. The utility companies in many states are trying to change the law to add new fees to residents who went to solar power.

Basically, we are subsidizing these mega industries to do business, and for them to stay in business (NFL-pays no taxes) where...any regular folks like us, if we incur economic hardships because of change in the economy or circumstaces, it's...you're on your own. You can't just start charging and increasing new fees to help you out.

New Poster

Comcast won't do anything about it cause there are so many people out there that will pay or are unaware that they are paying .
If enough people complain maybe it will change .
New Poster

My issue is not paying to watch TV shows, although that does seem wrong, my concern/complaint is having to pay to watch the St. Louis Cardinals play in the MLB playoffs.  I finally found the game last night with my HD service, but those without would have to pay.  After watching the Cardinal games all season!  Really???  My friends down the road were watching, for free.  My relatives across the river from St. Louis were watching, for free.  Then tonight it was pay or watch the San Francisco/Washington game.  I'd be willing to bet there are more Cardinal fans in central IL than Giants or Nats fans.  I thought after the Giants/Nats game the Cardinal game would be picked up, but no, it's boxing.  I think it's time to switch!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast now charging for On Demand shows that are not new season?

Those episodes are probably available for purchase. Just because you subscribe to a channel goes not give you the right to watch any episode that ever aired on that channel. It is no different than amazon, iTunes, and any other service that lets you buy stuff to own. If you don't like it, complain to the provider, not Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

This probably hs more to do with their recent merger than anything else, Ive alway heard how horrible Turner cable was to their customers and how outrageous they were with the service that they provided, it seems as though this is one of the aspects that they adopted from Turner as I know last year I didnt have to pay for previous seasons.

New Poster

This is totally wrong , I pay over $200 a month, and comcast wants me to pay even more to watch on demand items from any of the networks that I already pay a premium to subscribe.No wonder each quarter they lose tons of cliental. Now I will go to the website of the channel I wish to watch and download the show for free. So sad that there is no other provider in our area. Otherwise I would have already cancelled. And they are charging for any season, not just the old ones.
Regular Visitor

Paying to view old shows?

I pay a lot monthly for my service.  Recently I was talked into a 3 year contract for Triple Play.  I took advantage offer and have been ejoying shows on HBO, Starz, and Fox.  I went to watch Sons of Anarchy last night and discovered Comcast wants $1.99/episode???!!!  I refuse to pay this much money for a showthat is no longer on Television.  Will SOA be offered at a future time for free?  I found this on a lot of shows I attenpted to view. 

Contributor

Re: Paying to view old shows?

When I called Comcast about the first season of The Bridge, they claimed it was the network that provided the show that was charging for the old episodes.  I must say, I find that hard to believe.  Comcast customer service is the worst.  Back in August, I had an HD channel disappear on me- it was Cinemax HDW.  I only noticed because a show called The Knick started on that channel..  All  I got was the screen that says "this channel will be available shortly."  After many, many phone calls and chats with the online support, six weeks later they finally determined that my box was out of date.  Plus my remote was worn out and during that six weeks, they sent me the wrong remote twice, the one for the DTA box.  Before getting the new box, I had signed up for the triple play and just told them not to send someone out to install the phone.  It lowered my bill considerably.  I was told, over the phone, that I wouldn't be charged for the Xfinity X1 box because I had signed a 2-year contract for the triple play.  We'll see when I get my next bill.  Even the guy at the UPS store, when I went to send my old box and accessories back, said to make sure to hold onto the receipt because Comcast was notorious for claiming they didn't get their old equipment back.

Contributor

Complain to the provider and not Comcast??!!  Comcast is my "provider".  I have been paying them $215 a month for over

20 years for the service of watching television, including On Demand.  I am one of COMCAST's "insider" people, whatever that is good for.

Since it's inception, I have had On Demand without charge and now I will

have to pay $3.99 per hour to watch what has always been provided to me through my Comcast service?!

Seriously, I mean seriously, your response is that wow, I must be dumb or cheap when they want to start charging me

for something that I have had included in my COMCAST service for years?

Contributor

Silly me, I thought subscribing to and paying for a channel would qualify me to actually watch the shows that are aired on that channel.  Hummmm, wonder what my $215 a month covers??

Contributor

I totally agree.  I complained about this charge on my own thread and was told that I should not think that I am entitled to watch previous shows through my fees and I should take it up with my service provider.  Comcast IS my service provider.  I do pay, I pay $215 a month to my "service provider" which entitles me to watch these shows.  I have never been charged to watch shows one season old!!   Ridiculous.   May have to think about those ATT offers I keep getting.

Contributor

Blame the networks and production companies?  They all decided at the same time to start charging $3.99 per episode?

I smell a rat, a big money grubbing one.

Been loyal Comcast customer for over 20 years paying over $200 a month and now I have to pay to watch

LAST SEASON shows?

Silver Problem Solver

YES. BLAME the networks and production companies. Despite what looks like a large number of networks, most are owned by only a few companies. Even TV show production is not as diverse as it seems. When one comes up with an idea, they will ALL follow like lemmings.

Silver Problem Solver

Would you rather the purchasable episodes simply not be listed at all? Seems like if that was the case then people wouldn't be complaining about it, and they'd probably go to iTunes/Amazon anyway to buy their shows.

Comcast is only doing what the content providers allow them to do. If the providers don't want customers to be able to watch content free with their subscriptions, then Comcast cannot overrule that decision.

New Poster

Why charge for regular shows?

Good morning,

Quick question on how (or why) Xfinity cg=harges for episodes of TV shows that I am a subscriber to that channel?

A friend of fine told me about "the bridge" a TV show on FX that I am a subscriber to. If I want to catch up on season 1 it is on demand but you need to pay$$. why is this? other series are there and we dont have to pay for. just trying to figure out why

New Poster

Re: Why charge for regular shows?

never mind, found a bunch of topics on this. what a load of BS!

New Poster

Anybody out there having to pay 1.99 for back season?

I just got my cable set up on Sept 24th and it has been a complete nightmare..besides all the issues I am having with my DVR ..I am having to pay for back seasons/episodes of Sons of Anarcy..Breaking Bad??  why is this..the neighbor has the same package that I do but older boxes and can watch these for free...

Contributor

Re: Anybody out there having to pay 1.99 for back season?

If you try and contact Comcast they may be able to fix it. However, it most likely are the greedy networks. They control when you see the shows and if you pay for them. You can watch them online for free. The person with the older box doesn't have the coding set up for it. It sucks. Maybe we should sign a petition for the networks to stop being so frickin greedy. I also hate having to watch the commercials from ON Demand. I mean, what the heck do we have comcast for if we have to watch the commercials? And by the way, those commercials are paying for their ads to air when the tv shows air. If they need money, maybe they shouldn't be paying these actors some crazy amount to act on thier shows. They are people not gods.

New Poster

I've noticed the same thing. What Bull@#&t this is. I pay premium dollar for the my package with premium channels, yet they want me to pay more. Another thing that really grinds me, is that people I work with have Dish Network and watch all the high rated shows such as SOA, Walking Dead, Homeland etc... They watch theirs at 7-8 p.m. Mine doesn't come on til 10-11 p.m. !!! I have to work in the morning, and can't stay up all night because Comcast decides WHEN I should see it. I'm SRONGLY thinking of going to Dish. I'm tired of paying double for something I've already paid for!!!

Silver Problem Solver

Once again Comcast has no control over the amount of content on on demand whether it's paid or not or what is being broadcast on live TV. Comcast, like any other television provider, is only able to do what the providers allow them to do.
Contributor

So, you are seriously trying to tell us that Comcast doesn't have any control over what it broadcasts and the fees that are charged through this broadcast, they are just the little company that emits the transmissions?  Comcast operates at the whim of and beck call of the broadcasters?   Seriously??!!  Is Comcast see any revenue from these On Demand charges??  How about using a little of their influence to represent their customers for a change?

Frequent Visitor

So if thats true maybe Comcast should quit advertising their "On Demand" service as a part of their entertainment packages if it's pay per view.

New Poster

I couldn't believe it either.

If you want to watch previous season of shows you normally get, you pay extra $$$.

Talk about Triple Play!

For On Demand, subscribers pay to watch commercials. That means, Comacast gets more $$$

1. Comcasts gets the additional fee if a subscriber watches a previous show

2. Comcast gets paid additional revenue from the advertisers which show the commercials that you can't fast forward,

3. Comcast gets paid for your monthly bill

So....you pay your monthly bill, but receive less than you did half a year ago.

I made a contract agreement before these changes (give backs)--or (take away from customers)  went into effect--before they made us pay for previous seasons On Demand. If I cancel the agreement I have to pay a $200+ fee.

I don't have a tv that receives streaming yet.....but when I do get one and I will at some point, if  it's a year before the contract is up, I'd still pay less to break the contract and pay that fee, than continue paying that much every month for another year. 

It's about  paying the same and more....to get less.

It's not the networks at fault in this one. It's about Comcast deceitful practice....lying to us, and changing the serivices that people agreed to pay for. That's breaking a contract. It's about not walking it like you talk it. It's taking away....but we have to pay the same. It's greed from our cable providers, bleeding us their host, harvesting us to the last penny, as if they were a  vampires. We cable people are their last hurrah. Everything is changing in tv and internet  and the Cable business ship is sinking...they will make every penny count before they go down.

You would think they'd want to reward customers, but they obviously are not.

You just wait and see, you'll see charges for the current On Demand shows.

I won't pay for the past seasons shows. I won't pay for the current On Demand shows beyond what I pay in my monthly bill.

I totally agree with everyone who is outraged, that we made an agreement to pay for a specific service with regard to On Demand. Everyone knows what that meant when they agreed to it. Suddenly...it doesn't mean what it said???Huh? If I did that to someone iin a business agreement, they'd take me to court for breaking a contract. Our contract agreement was that we get to watch the subscribed shows and whatever past seasons free, because we Already pay for On Demand in our subscription agreement. They went back on their agreement....and took away that service. Breach of contract.

This is not....netflix or hulu where customers pay so much less a month to watch shows.

It's shameful.

Shame.

New Poster

First of all, my cable bill was on avg. around $280 a month (TV/Net/Phone, 2 Prem. ch. sub., Sports pkg.)!!!!! My wife called them first of Oct. to see if we can work to reduce some of the charges and the rep talked her into the X1 (which is pretty good.....so far!)! The rep told her our bill would be low $200's, and that includes all Premium channels and 6 X1 boxes...............sounded good too me!!!!!!! Anyway, my take on this matter is, is they have lowered our bill, gave us the new system, added all Premiums............all at a lower price!!!!! They will recoup these charges by now charging for all On Demand services!!!!!!! 

New Poster

Here is an even better one! Comcast is now charging for current  season shows. I wonder if getting rid of On Demand and just getting a DVR is the way to go. Anyone find a good solution?

Regular Visitor

Hulu! I'm tired of Comcast and will be cancelling my subscription. I barely watch it anyways and everything I do watch can be watched online

Frequent Visitor

Its ok...Im getting ready to completely do away with comcast, True Blood is over, SOA is over, and all of the other channels I watch are on NETFLIX, I guess that i can now spend my extra $180 that I will have after getting rid of Comcast on CDs to play music for my toddler, since the musicchoice channels are all screwy too....BUH bye Comcast, you were good at one time and now are spiralling down to nothing....maybe you should try sending ALL of your executives from the CEO down to a class on Customer Satisfaction....which Ive had better customer service at McDonalds even when they have screwed my order up, cause guess what....THEY ADMIT IT and then FIX IT....not pull blame card.....

New Poster

I was watching a show that aired just this PAST WEEK that I had missed, and it stopped the show mid-way through.  Evidently I only had 22 minutes of 'free' time to watch past shows (I never knew I was limited to the time I watched past shows on On-Demand). I like to watch a show that I had missed while watching another show that came on at the same time slot. Guess I won't be doing that any more!  Frankly, I'm retiring in a couple of months, and Comcast is probably going to have to be the first thing I change in my monthly budget!  It seems to me that if I'm already PAYING for the On-Demand service, I should be able to watch what I want when I want to on this service.  Comcast . . . . HELP!

Frequent Visitor

Definitely time to cut all ties to Comcast.  This is the second time this has happened since we downgraded.  NCIS and two other series, it canceled our DVR schedules.  So when going to On Demand tonight, we see the current episode and load it.  Forget about not being able to fast forward anymore.  It was last year;'s show!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comcast has obviosuly gone on the defensive, and it looks like we'll have to play defense.   It will be so easy to have Comcast out of our lives now.

New Poster

Today I tried to watch an episode of "The 100" that aired last week and Comcast On Demand want $2.99 to watch it!  It is this season's show and only last week.  Greed runs this company and I'll be glad to get rid of it as soon as FIOS is available in our area! 

New Poster

GREED - If we are already paying for cable access, there should be no need for additional charging of old material. I guess they think we will pay for it elsewhere. But if the fee for complete access is $7.99 monthly on Netflix, why pay almost that for one or two episodes? As a Kindle owner, I get FREE access to a huge number of Amazon episodes and movies. Really cable is going down and they are just fleecing off of people who will allow it. I only want internet access. Now with so many mobile hot spots, I'm thinking home internet may not be such a great "need" anymore.

New Poster

Yep, as soon as the new season of FX's "The Americans" began airing, Comcast/Xfinity began charging $2.99 for on-demand episodes of previous seasons.  It's just extorsion, plain and simple.  On-demand access is part of my monthly cable bill, which is sky high to begin with.  I pay $99 a year for Amazon Prime, and Amazon Prime offers the first two seasons of the Americans for... $0.00 per episode.  Why Xfinity has chosen to extort its customers at the very time when customers have more options than ever is beyond me.

In any case, I am tired of letting the company take advantage of me.  Seeing that they're charging for basic cable shows PER EPISODE now, and tha tthe most popular films out there--like Gone Girl--are only available for virtual "purchase" at $19.99 has convinced me it's time to cancel and find a better provider.  Many people told me before I chose Comcast years ago that they have zero respect for their customers, but this is a whole new level of insulting exploitation.

Problem Solver

There is no extra charge for OnDemand access for Comcast. The reason Amazon Prime has it on is that Amazon paid Fox to be able to have it. Comcast On demand doesn't work that way and is under the control of the content providers, in this case Fox. They decide what is avaliable On Demand and when it for free or to charge. You can check out other providers On Demand but most have less avaliable than Comcast.
Silver Problem Solver

Once again, Comcast does not control this.

I can understand the complaining, but at least complain to/about the right people/companies. Complaining that Comcast is money hungry, greedy, or anything else just shows how clueless you people are about the entertainment industry in general.

Comcast can only do what the content providers allow them to do. The content providers hold the copyrights to their content. If they wanted to pull ALL content from OnDemand services, and make it exclusive to, say, Amazon Prime, that's their choice, not Comcast's (or any TV provider)

Can we close these old topics so people stop reviving them with their cluelessness?

Official Employee

All - Answering your questions directly, basically it comes down to licensing agreements. The content providers (owners) are the one that determine which shows and episodes of a show are available, we just follow what they have specified as per the current contract.

As per our current agreements with program providers (the owners of the content), previous episodes of some programs (non-current seasons) may be currently offered On Demand on a per episode or a per season cost.

This situation is not unique to Comcast and pricing for these programs are comparable across other platforms and competitors.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats