Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

what kind of coax cable for TV

New Poster

what kind of coax cable for TV

I just received my Remote Control Box for Xfinity HD TV and I want to get it going.

It is about 75 feet away from the cable box.  I have three questions:  

1) What type of coax cable should be installed over that 75 feet?  

2) Is 75 feet within an acceptable range for a good signal transfer?  

3) I found at Best Buy I can purchase lengths of 100 feet of cable.  Will the extra 25 feet degrade the signal any? if so, do you suggest I cut off the extra 25 feet?  Thanks for your assistance.

Cable Expert

Re: what kind of coax cable for TV

Comcast uses and recommends RG6 tri shield coax cable with compression fittings.  Since there is no way to see how much RF signal level is available at the splitter, then you can only try it to see if the box gets enough RF signal.

I'd keep the connectors on from the new coax, compression fittings need special tools to put the fittings on.  Cutting off the fitting and putting on your own can cause more issues without the special tools.

Any length of coax, the longer the cable the more loss, mostly at the higher frequencies.  There's 6db of loss at 900mhz for 100' of RG6, so cutting off 25' would get you 1.5db more signal on the high frequencies.  1.5 normally would not be an issue, unless your at a marginal RF signal power.

Worst case would be for Comcast would have to come in to install a drop amp which compensates for splitter and inside coax cabling loss.  It all depends on what the RF signal is at the ground block, how much loss from the splitters and inside coax lengths.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: what kind of coax cable for TV

HI. JAY.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH. JUST WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation