Posted by
Official Employee

Message 1 of 18 (67,253 Views)
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 18 (67,527 Views)

Re: "No Signal" message on TV

Smittens wrote:

That is what I meant to convey -- that I have an HDTV and a Comcast set-top box (presumeably would work with HD Service?), but I never did have the additional $10 HD Service as I do not watch TV very often.  Ironically, I have been functioning for years with HDMI cable connecting the box with the TV with neither Comcast nor I (I am ignorant of these things) knowing the difference -- until last week -- when possibly some "tweek" in Comcast's technology caused it to recognize the discrepancy.  I ignorantly believed an HDMI cable was sort of a "super cable" that would work with anything.  I had no idea it needed that extra HD signal, and without it, would not work.

I sure did spend a lot of wasted hours trying all the potential "no signal" fixes, only to find out from the Comcast technician that it was simply a matter of my HDMI cable not getting a signal from Comcast.

By the way, I would like to let Comcast know what about the proficiency and professionalism of the Comcast technician who came to my home.  I've been on the phone (only recorded options that have nothing to do with how to give a commendation to the Comcast employee) and online (found no options there either).  I received a recorded phone call from Comcast this morning to evaluate my experience with my service call, and I was delighted to give my experience and my technician the highest marks.  However, I would like to know that this commendation gets relayed in some way to the technician.  His superiors need to know what a great job he, specifically, did.  

Apologies for the issues you encountered and glad to hear things are working now.

Thanks also for your kind words about our service technician.

I will be sure that your kudos reach the technician and his manager.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 3 of 18 (67,656 Views)

That is what I meant to convey -- that I have an HDTV and a Comcast set-top box (presumeably would work with HD Service?), but I never did have the additional $10 HD Service as I do not watch TV very often.  Ironically, I have been functioning for years with HDMI cable connecting the box with the TV with neither Comcast nor I (I am ignorant of these things) knowing the difference -- until last week -- when possibly some "tweek" in Comcast's technology caused it to recognize the discrepancy.  I ignorantly believed an HDMI cable was sort of a "super cable" that would work with anything.  I had no idea it needed that extra HD signal, and without it, would not work.

I sure did spend a lot of wasted hours trying all the potential "no signal" fixes, only to find out from the Comcast technician that it was simply a matter of my HDMI cable not getting a signal from Comcast.

By the way, I would like to let Comcast know what about the proficiency and professionalism of the Comcast technician who came to my home.  I've been on the phone (only recorded options that have nothing to do with how to give a commendation to the Comcast employee) and online (found no options there either).  I received a recorded phone call from Comcast this morning to evaluate my experience with my service call, and I was delighted to give my experience and my technician the highest marks.  However, I would like to know that this commendation gets relayed in some way to the technician.  His superiors need to know what a great job he, specifically, did.  

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 4 of 18 (67,662 Views)

Actually an HDMI cable does work with an HD box and an HDTV.  What is required for the Comcast HD box to put a signal on that HDMI cable is "HD Service", with a $10.00 per month fee..  This is something that your first contact with Comcast should have discovered (if they had checked your service data).

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 5 of 18 (85,477 Views)

The technician diagnosed my problem immediately.  Knowing that my TV service package is "Digital Starter," he replaced my HDMI cable with a "red-white-yellow" cable.  Voila!  I had TV!  I seldom watch TV, per se, but I like to watch DVD movies and documentaries.  So I do not have the more sophisticated "HD package."  The technician explained that my HDMI cable is intended to work only with HD.  The irony of all this is that the technician from the store where I bought the TV 3-4 years ago hooked up the HDMI cable and it worked just fine -- until about a week ago I began getting "No Signal" message.  My Comcast technician also helped me understand Xfinity on Demand which I (erroneously) thought was just a pay-per-view option.  So we can add "Don't have an HDMI cable if you have Digital Starter" to the list of possible solutions to the "No Signal" issue.   

Posted by
Visitor

Message 6 of 18 (67,732 Views)

I have the exact same problems starting on 1/6/14.  Did the comcast tech fix your problem?  If so, how?

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 7 of 18 (67,762 Views)

Only playing 2-3 stations is normally an indication that Comcast does not have your information correct in their system.  Good luck with the tech. visit, and make sure everything is working before he/she leaves..

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 8 of 18 (67,770 Views)

Here is response from LG Customer Service concerning "latest firmware" for my 26LG30 TV:

"Thank you for contacting LG customer service! 

"I am sorry for the inconvenience you are having at the moment, but the Tv would not require a software update being that it does not have any smart feature for it."

Upon learning that updating firmware is not the solution, I procured a new set-top box and remote from my local Comcast Service Center.  After hooking it up, I thought my "No Signal" problem had been solved as a TV program began playing.  But it would only play 2-3 stations (and all of them were TV shopping programs!).  About 5 minutes later, I had the "No Signal" error message on the TV again.  So I am back to square one.  Good news is Comcast scheduled a technicial to come to my house later today.  

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-06-2014 04:08 PM

Official Employee

Message 9 of 18 (67,967 Views)

[ Edited ]

Smittens wrote:

I have an RNG110 High-Definition Digital Set-Top Box from Comcast.  My Comcast cable coming in from the wall is connected to the Set-Top Box.  HDMI cable is connected from the Set-Top Box to the TV (HDMI1).  Set of 3 yellow-white-red video/audio cables connect from my JVC DVD player to the TV.  The hook-ups for all those things have never been changed in the five years since they were connected by a technician from the store where I bought the TV.  The TV and DVD player have worked fine until three days ago.

Apologies for the issue that you described above.

On the surface, this sounds like an HDMI handshake issue between the cable box and your other devices and the TV set.  One thing to check is to see if you have the latest firmware for your TV set.

You should download that firmware update to a USB drive then install it to your TV set as per the TV manufacturer's instructions. Please let us know if that resolves the issue.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 10 of 18 (68,045 Views)

I have an RNG110 High-Definition Digital Set-Top Box from Comcast.  My Comcast cable coming in from the wall is connected to the Set-Top Box.  HDMI cable is connected from the Set-Top Box to the TV (HDMI1).  Set of 3 yellow-white-red video/audio cables connect from my JVC DVD player to the TV.  The hook-ups for all those things have never been changed in the five years since they were connected by a technician from the store where I bought the TV.  The TV and DVD player have worked fine until three days ago.

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-06-2014 02:44 PM

Bronze Problem Solver

Message 11 of 18 (68,088 Views)

[ Edited ]

"No Signal" from your TV typically means that the TV is not getting a signal.  If you have something that should be sending a signal to the TV then you have to set the 'input" of the TV to the place that signal is coming into it.  "Auto Tune" is only used if you have an antenna (OTA) or Comcast is providing you with "Clear QAM" (not likely as Comcast is encrypting everything (except for some locations that they haven't gotten around to encrypting the local channels yet).  What is your DVD (a player, or actually a Comcast DVR recorder)?  Where is it plugged into your TV?  Do you have a Comcast box feeding the TV, where is it plugged in and do you get anything from it??  If your Comcast box is feeding your TV with an RF cable then you should have your TV set to either analog channel 3 or 4 (that same as the switch on the back of your Comcast box).

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 13 of 18 (126,230 Views)

Re: my tv says no signal

Year and a half old thread now closed.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 14 of 18 (126,392 Views)

Did you read what jay wrote?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 15 of 18 (126,434 Views)

Can you tell me what exactly worked in your case? I'm having the same issue!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 16 of 18 (152,324 Views)

It definitely worked! Thanks a million!
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 17 of 18 (160,170 Views)

That indicates the video input on the TV is either not set on the proper input from the cable box, or the cable box is not outputing a video signal.

Check the cable from the TV to the cable box that it's snug.  Check the video input selector on the TV that it is set for the input the cable box is connected to.  Check that the cable box is actually turned on and not in standby.

If all else fails, unplug the AC for both the TV and cable box.  Plug in the TV first, then the cable box, turn on the TV, then turn on the cable box.

Community Icon
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Highlighted
Posted by
Visitor

Message 18 of 18 (160,173 Views)

my tv says no signal

My tv says no signal

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 12 of 18 (68,092 Views)

"No Signal" message on TV

Similar to other Comcast customers posting on this topic, I have recently been unable to successfully troubleshoot a recent "No Signal" issue.  It occurred when I turned on my TV (it was working then) a few days ago.  Intending to watch a DVD, I switched to AV1 to watch my DVD. I could hear sound, but no picture, then the "No Signal" message appeared on the TV.  I switch back to HDMI1, but received "No Signal" there as well.  For the past 3 days, I have been trying the troubleshooting possibilities sugested by others (all cables are correctly connected, replaced HDMI and video/audio cables, etc.).  When I select "auto tune" to see if I have any channels, the result for Channels Found is zero.  What should my next step be?    Smittens