Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

new hdtv & HDMI

ANSWERED
New Poster

new hdtv & HDMI

I had an old Sony tube tv connected via composite.  Got a new Visio tv.  Tried to connect using HDMI and got 'no signal'.  It works fine with composite. HDMI cable is a new GE high speed HDMI cable with ethernet.  I have three other older tvs which I don't want to change.  What am I doing wrong.

Accepted Solution

Re: new hdtv & HDMI

jimreeves wrote:

I had an old Sony tube tv connected via composite.  Got a new Visio tv.  Tried to connect using HDMI and got 'no signal'.  It works fine with composite. HDMI cable is a new GE high speed HDMI cable with ethernet.  I have three other older tvs which I don't want to change.  What am I doing wrong.

jimreeves wrote:

Some boxes won't pass an HDMI signal unless you're paying for HD service

View answer in context
Official Employee

jimreeves wrote:

jimreeves wrote:

Some boxes won't pass an HDMI signal unless you're paying for HD service

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

adding... make sure you are connected to the 'out to TV' HDMI port. there are several on some of the set top boxes. Also check the port that the other end of the cable is plugged on the TV for its name and use the TV remote menu (or button) for input to select that port.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Rustyben wrote:

adding... make sure you are connected to the 'out to TV' HDMI port. there are several on some of the set top boxes. Also check the port that the other end of the cable is plugged on the TV for its name and use the TV remote menu (or button) for input to select that port.

It's the type of box combined with the type of service the OP has

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

It's the type of box combined with the type of service the OP has

CEA-708 (digital closed captioning contained in the streams) is now required and only ouput on digital connectors. most new programming does not include any CEA-608 analog streams nor a conversion in recoding to 608 backwards compatible. The Digital stream must be 'on' at all times the box is in service mode and the 'provider' of the service will restrict the box to the subscriber's package. Note that HD MUST be delivered for local channels to all customers that use an HD capable TV at no extra charge to the customer for HD services.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation