Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

a couple of HD Channels not working on my Tivo

Contributor

a couple of HD Channels not working on my Tivo

I have a Tivo Premiere and for some strange reason, a couple of the HD channels like Syfy, Fox News, FX and some others I'm getting a "Searching for a signal on this channel (v52)" screen. a lot of other HD channels work fine except for those. These channels used to work,

I already tried the things like unplugging the coaxial cable and plugging it back in. Unplugging the Tivo and plugging it back in. Non of those made the channels come back. I also noticed on the cable box we have in the living room is showing the one moment please on those same channels. So its gotta be on there end and not me.

The standard definition channels of those work except for the HD versions.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: a couple of HD Channels not working on my Tivo

Thought I post an update on this issue. I found an old signal amplifier that I bought from radio shack a long time ago. This one has a gain of 10db. So I tried to hook it up where the cable on the wall is and the other cable that goes to my Tivo.

Once I plugged it in the power. I'm able to receive the missing HD channels

All I needed was a signal amp and those channels are working again. I will need one that has a game of 15db or 20db. I will need one that has a gain of 15db or 20db.

All Replies
Gold Problem Solver

V52 errors are generated by the Tivo when the signal for the channel you are trying to watch is too weak or has too much noise. "One Moment Please, Available Shortly, Ref code S0a00" and similar messages are generated by the cable box for the same reason. This is most likely due to a poor connection between the box and Comcast's network, usually in or near your home.

Troubleshoot by checking all connectors for corrosion and tightness, and by looking for damaged coax cable. Running the cable through a surge protector, a defective splitter, or too many splitters can cause signal problems as well. If there is an amplifier in the line make sure it's getting power.

If you can't find the problem, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them using the TV Support option at https://support.xfinity.com/chat. Ask them to check the account setup and send a refresh signal to the cable box. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have or sign up for their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, about $6/mo) and keep it for at least 60 days. If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast cable box/DVR/digital adapter or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

For additional information please see Pixelation, video and audio dropouts, One Moment Please S0a00 messages. Also see Tivo's Troubleshooting Digital Signals page.

Contributor

Hmm. I don't have any of that stuff connected around. It's gotta be from there end.

Will an amplifier work?

Contributor

This is what is showing in my Tivo Premiere's Diagnostics.

Capture_2.jpg

Capture_3.jpg

Capture_4.jpg

Capture_5.jpg

One tuner is on a channel that is working. And the other one is on a channel that isnt working. I tested both tuners and they are both working with the channels that do work. so with either tuner. the channels that dont work do not. Any idea what's causing this? is it a weak signal? If so. Would a signal amplifier fixed this?

Regular Contributor

If you switch those tuners so that the 'working' one is now on the 'non-working' channel and vica-versa, does the problem follow the tuner, or the channel?

Another test would be to tune both tuners to the non-working channel and compare.  You might need to tune to the channel and reboot to get both tuners on the same channel.

Also, have you posted over at the TiVo Community Forums?  There's LOTS of help for TiVo available over there.

-KP

Contributor

I just posted on the Tivo forum just a little bit ago with those same screen shots. As for testing both tuners on the non working channels. I have to wait a bit. Because one of the turners is recording a show at the moment. And I don't want to stop it. it should be done in a few minutes. then I can test both tuners.

Update: Someone from the Tivo forum responded and says its not a Tivo issue, said to call Comcast because it might be a provisioning issue.

Contributor

I have both tuners on the non working channel and both aren't showing the channel.

Regular Contributor

The TiVo Forum?  Why would you waste time posting there?

The TiVo Community Forum...that's where all the TiVo action is...

https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?forums/tivo-premiere-dvrs.67/

-KP

Contributor

I did posted there. Here's the link to the thread.

https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/some-hd-channels-are-not-working-on-my-tiv...

All they told me was to contact Comcast. You guys.

Regular Contributor

Also, it could be a provisioning issue.  The best way to handle that is with one of the Cable Card Activation Phone Techs.

Try this number:

877-405-2298 

During the week is likely the best time for that...

-KP

Contributor

Ok so I have to call that number during the weekday? Can't call over the weekend?

Regular Contributor

I don't know...It just seems to me that there's a better chance of getting a capable Tech during regular business hours...ymmv...

-KP

Contributor

Also the cable box in the living room is not displaying those same HD channels either. It shows the one moment please screen. So its not just the Tivo not getting those channels. but the box in the living room as well. How is it possible that a Tivo and a Comcast cable box have provision issues at the same time?

Regular Contributor

It's very likely that your entire account has some permission (provisioning) issue.

-KP

Contributor

OK but to get both fixed. I would have to call the two different numbers. Since one is for the cablecard.

Gold Problem Solver

@TigerClaw305 wrote: Also the cable box in the living room is not displaying those same HD channels either. It shows the one moment please screen. ... How is it possible that a Tivo and a Comcast cable box have provision issues at the same time?

Provisioning problems are not likely to cause intermittent signal quality problems. Like I said in my first reply, it's most likely a poor connection between the boxes and Comcast's network, probably in or near your home. Something is weakening the signal and/or injecting noise into it at a point or points common to both boxes.

The readings you posted on the working Tivo channel are within spec, but leave little room for fluctuations. The signal strength really ought to be up around 90% or better, and the SNR up around 35 or higher. The non-zero RS Corrected value confirms that the signal quality is marginal.

You need a premise tech to check for signal quality impairments between these devices and Comcast's network.

You can certainly try adding a signal amplifier if you like. It won't hurt anything, but it would be preferable to find and correct the actual problem.

Contributor

@BruceW wrote:

@TigerClaw305 wrote: Also the cable box in the living room is not displaying those same HD channels either. It shows the one moment please screen. ... How is it possible that a Tivo and a Comcast cable box have provision issues at the same time?

Provisioning problems are not likely to cause intermittent signal quality problems. Like I said in my first reply, it's most likely a poor connection between the boxes and Comcast's network, probably in or near your home. Something is weakening the signal and/or injecting noise into it at a point or points common to both boxes.

The readings you posted on the working Tivo channel are within spec, but leave little room for fluctuations. The signal strength really ought to be up around 90% or better, and the SNR up around 35 or higher. The non-zero RS Corrected value confirms that the signal quality is marginal.

You need a premise tech to check for signal quality impairments between these devices and Comcast's network.

You can certainly try adding a signal amplifier if you like. It won't hurt anything, but it would be preferable to find and correct the actual problem.

So a tech has to come over and check out the the box outside?

Contributor

I can't really have someone come over to check the box this week. Maybe during the other week I will call to get it check.

In the meantime. What signal amplifier do you recommend to fix this issue? On two of the working channels. Both tuners are showing signal strength at 52% and SNR at 31db.

Would a signal amplifier increases the signal strength and SNR for the  non working channels to work?

Contributor

Thought I post an update on this issue. I found an old signal amplifier that I bought from radio shack a long time ago. This one has a gain of 10db. So I tried to hook it up where the cable on the wall is and the other cable that goes to my Tivo.

Once I plugged it in the power. I'm able to receive the missing HD channels

All I needed was a signal amp and those channels are working again. I will need one that has a game of 15db or 20db. I will need one that has a gain of 15db or 20db.

Contributor

I have another update. It appears that those channels are working now without the need of a signal amplifier. It looks like whatever happened. Happed on Comcast's end. They mustve fixed something which is now giving me a stronger signal strength on my Tivo.

I'm getting 99% to 100% signal strength tuner 1 on channel 427 and tuner 2 is showing 99% signal strength on channel 451.