Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XG2 box stops recording live TV after TV has been off for about 12 Hours. Box is on 24/7

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 3

Product: XG2 in Boston Area.  Feature: Pause/Rewind/Play live TV.  Cable Box is on 24/7.   After the TV has been off for about 12 hours live TV recording stops recording.  When TV is then turned on I receive error message: "Rewind isn't available.  This device does not support it" If I now what a few seconds I can rewind back to the point when I turned on the TV and the box continues live TV record.   Note; I did NOT change the channel when I turned on the TV (which would have clear the buffer).  The box has been swapped out and does the same thing on both.  Always reproducable.  

1.  After watching TV check control LIVE TV is working.

2.  Turn off TV for at least 12 hours.   Leave cable box on. (note TV is connected  using an HDMI cable which allows bidirectional communication between the TV and cable box).  This is a second TV so it is turn off by 7 PM EDT and turned on again sometime after 8 AM the next day.

3.  Do NOTuse TV (or it remote). Do NOT change the channel on cable box.

4. After about 10-12 hours; turn on TV, wait for picture then IMMEDIATELY press the REWIND button.  TV displays in upper right hand corner the message

"Rewind isn't available."

"This device does not support it"

Customer support nor Technical support has never seen/heard of this problem.  Per usual they restarted the box numerous times, Sent reset signals and other basic trouble shooting instructions written on the trouble shooting menu system.  Nothing works.  I was told to swap the box out with a new one.  Same problem occurs.

Main problem is that it takes 10-12 hours to reproduce problem.  Note also I have an X1 DVR primary box on the TV I usually use.  It does not have this problem.

I suspect this is "Feature" of the XG2 box for some reason that I would like changed so that when I turn the TV on in the morning I can rewind back to the show I am watching.

This problem defeats the advertised feature of being able to control LIVE time.

Sincerely,

Bruce R.

2 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 3

Hi appleseed45! Thanks for reaching out to us. The buffer time in order for you to be able to turn on your TV is only 2 hours, not 10-12 hours, which is why you have not been able to successfully rewind and get back to the program you were watching. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 3
I don't remember my original post but the unit of time was in seconds not hours. I cannot rewind at the start of each day be cause the box stopped storing the advertised 25 MINUTES of live tv rewind. It also displays a message inappropriate for the XG2 box saying this box support rewind since it clearly does. Once the message clears the box does start recording live TV for the moment I clicked the rewind button. Note the channel was NOT changed which does cause the live tv buffer to be cleared. Thank you for your response but was not for the question I asked.