1,930 REPLIES
Posted by
Edited on
‎10-02-2013 11:16 AM

Official Employee

Message 1 of 1,931 (10,676 Views)

Re: Remote does shut off set top box

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all of your comments, suggestions, feedback and customer to customer support in this forum.

Please know that the Comcast X1 teams have been monitoring these forums and this thread, listening to your feedback and participating as needed.

Based on much feedback from this group and the need to better streamline the topics, issues, comments and suggestions we have set up a separate X1 area on this board.

The first area of concentration is on the X1-DVR. You can expect more participation from the X1 team in this new thread.

Additional X1 topic areas will be set up in that area over the next weeks.

This thread is now closed.

The new X1 DVR topics and information can be found here: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/bd-p/X1

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 1,931 (9,460 Views)

Dp the filter keeps your services in house
Posted by
Edited on
‎10-02-2013 09:23 AM

Most Valued Poster

Message 3 of 1,931 (9,468 Views)

Recording Light Still On!!!

[ Edited ]

Received update 4827 overnight.  I had been in hopes of this update resolving the issue of the RED recording light staying on all the time or otherwise working when it feels like it.  However, that is NOT the case.  

I also noticed that there is now a battery monitoring level for the remote in the settings as well as a cute little "Made in Philadelphia with Love" logo on the settings page.  

While I appreciate and look forward to enhancements and new functions with this DVR, do you not think Comcast that the software designers time could have been better spent fixings the known issues with this platform instead of spending time on cute little made with love nonsense?

I mean really Comcast. Come on!  Fix my recording light, please?  How freaking hard can it be? 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 4 of 1,931 (9,491 Views)

Re: X1 - DVR Reply to Inonnema

baabamall wrote:
I've seen many reports of series recording settings not actually recording a show in the series. I have a different problem. I set a series recording, told it to record only new episode, and lots of shows in syndication (which I don't consider new episodes) were set to record! Wow!

This might be a program guide issue. Some time shows in syndication are not marked as repeats and the X1 software assumes it is a new episode. The X1 has an option on only record on a specific channel, but I don't think this feature is working. I am see am recording old versions of Saturday Night Live on channels other than NBC.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 5 of 1,931 (9,545 Views)

When X1 first came out, the all off button worked; however, if you turn it off, they can't push their updates to you so they disabled it.

PS: For 3 nights all scheduled recordings started and recorded, then Tues night 2 8PM didn't start and couldn't get them to record by any measure. Pulled the plug for 30 sec. Got a reboot, but with a twist on LCD said dl1, then counted up to dl 60? then rebooted again. Did it do some sort of down load? Still would not accept any command to record either of the 8 PM scheduled, but got the 1 at 9 and 3 at 10 PM. Maybe they are making some progress.

Also, I don't see any line filters on my coaxial cables as described in some recent posts. What are their functions. Could this be 1 of my issues?
Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 1,931 (9,555 Views)

I've seen many reports of series recording settings not actually recording a show in the series. I have a different problem. I set a series recording, told it to record only new episode, and lots of shows in syndication (which I don't consider new episodes) were set to record! Wow!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 7 of 1,931 (9,616 Views)

Thanks.  I swapped the problematic STB with the working STB, and the working STB had the same issues, i.e., DVR recordings appeared with a yellow exclamation icon.  So it looks like a line issue may be the cause.

The weird thing is that I connected to problematic STB to the other room, and it would not even connect.  When I reconnected the problematic STB to its original location I have the same issue, i.e., no signal is getting through.

I did find a splitter (two way with main cable line as input, and one output going to input of amplifier, and the other output going directly to the problematic STB/TV).  After I removed the splitter, connected the main cable line to the amplifier and connected the problematic STB cable line directly to an output jack on the amp, still no signal getting to the problamatic STB/TV.

I think the problematic STB is hosed, as everything worked except for DVR before I disconnected it, now it does not work anywhere.

I should have checked if the good STB was able to play the DVR recordings after I removed the splitter.  Will check that tomorrow.  Comcast is testing my boxes remotely as I type this so hopefully they can figure it out.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 8 of 1,931 (9,660 Views)

Re: That recording light

xGMANx wrote:

We have a new update (Sept 11) Go to the device settings and about section to update.  

ALOT of fixes.  Record Red light is fixed.  The User Interface is much tighter and snappier.  The Grey screen freeze when exiting apps is fixed.  That's all my can find for now but it looks like a major update. It also took longer to download . 

Post any new fixes you may see here.. 

I have the 9/11 update but still have the recording light problem.  The light is on when nothing is recording.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 9 of 1,931 (9,707 Views)

curlw wrote:

xGMANx wrote:

We have a new update (Sept 11) Go to the device settings and about section to update.  

ALOT of fixes.  Record Red light is fixed.  The User Interface is much tighter and snappier.  The Grey screen freeze when exiting apps is fixed.  That's all my can find for now but it looks like a major update. It also took longer to download . 

I just downloaded the Wed Sep 11 18:46:17 UTC 2013 update to my X1 DVR. It took a while, maybe 15 minutes or so. It then rebooted and now shows the updated timestamp above. Still reflects Build 4816. That didn't change. I checked each of my 5 non-DVR STBs and they all identified the software as current and are still on the Thu Aug 29 23:59:23 UTC 2013 timestamp. I'm also running the X2 interface on all of the systems with no issue.

I think it's odd that some of us have build 4827 and some are still on build 4816.  I also updated to the newest Sept 11 update today but I am on build 4827.  This is the build that disables the X2 interface.  Those that are still on build 4816, even with the Sept 11 update, are lucky to still be able to run the X2.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 10 of 1,931 (9,749 Views)

Have you figured out how to delete recently watched channels when you hit last? In X1 you had a box that would let you delete all. The "D" button doen't seem to do it.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 11 of 1,931 (9,772 Views)

xGMANx wrote:

I forced the update this morning and got Sept 11th but still have build 4816 and native version went back to 1.0.0. (Frederick, MD)

I have found the fast forward is now faster. 4X is now 60X. I now have Headlines in the Apps but it only gives me gray boxes. Nothing will load.

Programs still do not resume after about the  2h50m mark. You have to restart the program if you exit.

In the X2 interface has anyone figured out how to get the full program description to show up if there are too many words? I'd like to get past the ...

Here is one tip for X2. In the full guide, hit the blue button to show only a little preview window in the bottom of your screen. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 12 of 1,931 (9,779 Views)

xGMANx wrote:

I just downloaded the Wed Sep 11 18:46:17 UTC 2013 update to my X1 DVR. It took a while, maybe 15 minutes or so. It then rebooted and now shows the updated timestamp above. Still reflects Build 4816. That didn't change. I checked each of my 5 non-DVR STBs and they all identified the software as current and are still on the Thu Aug 29 23:59:23 UTC 2013 timestamp. I'm also running the X2 interface on all of the systems with no issue.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 13 of 1,931 (9,799 Views)

lnonnema wrote:
Had the x1 dvr and two other non-dvr set top boxes installed on Saturday. One of the non dvr boxes shows this message when I attempt to view a recorded dvr show: (!) your living room dvr may be unplugged. When I click on the resume or restart button I see this message: unable to find this recording. There may be a problem with your dvr. Please check your living dvr connections be sure it is plugged into a power source and try again.

I've restarted this box several times to no avail. The other non dvr box in the house has no problems viewing dvr recordings, so looks like I have a faulty box. Any help is appreciated.

Ionnema,

It could be the box, but I think it likely is something else. These are my thoughts based on what I experienced and learned after my installaton and others may poo-poo my thoughts but give it a try. If you are getting the message that reads something about the DVR not being found and make sure it is plugged in, etc., you are probably also seeing yellow exclamation points to the left of the recordings listed on the one box with issues accessing the DVR. Before going to the hassle of contacting COMCAST to switch out the STB in question, try the following. Switch the 2 non-DVR set-top boxes. If the box that previously gave you the problem now works correctly (you can access the recordings with no problem/no error about DVR problem/no yellow exclamation points), the box that previously worked correctly on the one connection will probably now not work on the other connection and show the issues you described. That would tell you that it isn't the particular box and is an issue with the line going to that location. There is probably something about that particular line in your house that is causing the signal to be below the threshold necessary to fully function. It might be a less than ideal cable itself or do you possibly have a splitter or splitters somewhere on that line after it leaves the main amplifier that the tech probably (should have) installed? If so, that's likely the issue. I have one X1 DVR and 5 non-DVR STBs. After initial installation, 2 of the non-DVRs had the yellow exclamation points and the message about DVR not being connected. The other 3 non-DVRs worked fine with controlling the DVR and viewing recordings. I finally realized that the 2 non-DVRs that were having the issue were downstream from an additional splitter in my basement. After eliminating the splitter and connecting those 2 non-DVRs directly to the zero-gain amp the technician installed, they now work fine. If this is your issue and you can eliminate that splitter I bet you will have success.

If you connect the "bad" box to the connection where the "good" non-DVR currently works fine and the "bad" box still has the errors, then I guess you either have a bad box that needs to be swapped out or COMCAST didn't correctly register that box (by ID) as being an Anyroom box. You could try calling them and having them check the registration on their system for that particular box to ensure it matches the working non-DVR box. May not be the problem, but worth a try to resolve with a phone call. Last resort is call to COMCAST and set-up a tech visit to swap the box.

Good luck!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 14 of 1,931 (9,859 Views)

xGMANx wrote:

what is the release number?  is it the 4827?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 15 of 1,931 (9,866 Views)

It's probably not the box, it's faulty software - age old issue - supposedly a patch is on the way.

Try this:  ENTER, ENTER 9292 - and you will get X2 beta - fixes many of these issues... personally I believe that the X1 platform has been essentially all but abandoned in favor of the X2, which should already be on your box, hidden.   Many of us are using it and so far, so good - most of these issues are now gone with X2.   Local Comcast rep's confirmed that the X2 is about to be released on all boxes by "the end of this year".

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 16 of 1,931 (9,879 Views)

Re: X1 - DVR

Had the x1 dvr and two other non-dvr set top boxes installed on Saturday. One of the non dvr boxes shows this message when I attempt to view a recorded dvr show: (!) your living room dvr may be unplugged. When I click on the resume or restart button I see this message: unable to find this recording. There may be a problem with your dvr. Please check your living dvr connections be sure it is plugged into a power source and try again.

I've restarted this box several times to no avail. The other non dvr box in the house has no problems viewing dvr recordings, so looks like I have a faulty box. Any help is appreciated.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 17 of 1,931 (9,919 Views)

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 18 of 1,931 (9,969 Views)

That recording light

My recording light has also decided to stay on since about a week ago. In my DVR Saved programs it had said that the recording for "Modern Family" has been in progress the whole time up until I deleted it.

Posted by
Edited on
‎10-01-2013 09:58 AM

Bronze Problem Solver

Message 19 of 1,931 (9,992 Views)

Re: X1 software levels, etc

[ Edited ]

Joe_Sugar_Land wrote:

I'm new here and this may have been discussed, but I have a really buggy problem. I set the recorder for multiple scheduled recordings, many of them set to records 2-4 at the same time, and when recording starts, if I am recording 2 shows, they both go away from the "Scheduled" area, but only one shows up in the "Recorded" area. After the first show, no other shows appear in the "Recorded" area, but the shows disappear from the "Scheduled" area when they should start to record. The red light is on and stays on and won't stop even though all "scheduled" recordings would have finished. The recording light just never goes out. If I do a hard reboot, the shows that I had tried to record now show up in the "Recorded" list.

And/or what? I have to reboot so that I can get to the recorded shows? I was online with CustServ and everything looked ok after they had sent a signal and 2-3 reboots, then 5 minutes later, I had a recording starting and it never showed in the "Recorded" area, but the red light was on....it stayed on after the recording should've finished...then a reboot and it shows up.

Any suggestions? New box? go back to the old? I don't see it fixing itself at all.....

There are continuing problems with the red recording light - sometimes it's on when recording and sometimes it's not - and sometimes it's on when nothing is recording.  It's a problem that Comcast is aware of and is supposed to be working to fix.  

Sometimes there is a lapse between when a program begins recording and when it appears in the "Recordings" folder.  When this happens the missing show is usually there the next day.  I've been told that this problem and other latency issues are also being worked on by Comcast.

As you've discovered - rebooting the box usually puts things where they belong immediately.

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Message 20 of 1,931 (10,004 Views)

thiedea wrote:

I will be getting the X1 next week and was wondering if there is any way to transfer the programs from my current Comcast dvr to the X1?

Not if the "old" DVR is a non-X1. I just held onto my old RNG200 until I finished watching all that was recorded on it, and then turned it back in to Comcast.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 21 of 1,931 (10,072 Views)

I'm new here and this may have been discussed, but I have a really buggy problem. I set the recorder for multiple scheduled recordings, many of them set to records 2-4 at the same time, and when recording starts, if I am recording 2 shows, they both go away from the "Scheduled" area, but only one shows up in the "Recorded" area. After the first show, no other shows appear in the "Recorded" area, but the shows disappear from the "Scheduled" area when they should start to record. The red light is on and stays on and won't stop even though all "scheduled" recordings would have finished. The recording light just never goes out. If I do a hard reboot, the shows that I had tried to record now show up in the "Recorded" list.

And/or what? I have to reboot so that I can get to the recorded shows? I was online with CustServ and everything looked ok after they had sent a signal and 2-3 reboots, then 5 minutes later, I had a recording starting and it never showed in the "Recorded" area, but the red light was on....it stayed on after the recording should've finished...then a reboot and it shows up.

Any suggestions? New box? go back to the old? I don't see it fixing itself at all.....

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 22 of 1,931 (10,117 Views)

sammsterling wrote:

hi, my friend is going to be getting X1 installed on wed.  this is in south florida and they just started the rollout here a week ago.  i am directing him so i asked for comcast to send a comcast tech.  this area has maybe about a million customers and all installs are done by stupid contracters and they just wind up sending a comcast tech in a day or two to fix it.  but i am smarter than them

i already was told which remote to make sure the tech brings, but i was wondering if someone again could provide whatever system statistics on the software levels so i can check them.  also those other levels (db ranges or whatever).  i know they have been posted before, but it must be in the pages 20 or wherever.

also this install will have 2 x1 dvr's and 1 x1 satellite, with no Anyroom.  

also can you control both dvrs from the dvr manager?

i appreciate someone posting when they get a chance.  thanks.

its nice to hear it is working better somewhat.  my friend is moving so he is going to keep his old motos for a week or so in case he cant tolerate X1.

thanks

Go to post 1177 and you will find my signal levels.  These are considered optimum.

Yes, they installed a filter at the demarc box outside where the cable makes its transition from overhead service drop to underground to my house.  I cannot speak for any other filters needed as I only have the one DVR.  No other boxes networked.  

Posted by
Edited on
‎09-30-2013 11:26 PM

Regular Contributor

Message 23 of 1,931 (10,135 Views)

Re: New Build on the X1

[ Edited ]

The update to my main DVR was uploaded over the weekend.  I tried doing an update on my satellite box, but it says I'm running the latest version (even though the build is not the newest version).

Regular Contributor

JGal31 wrote:

My main DVR box just updated to the latest build (I believe it is 4827), but my satellite box did not.  Why does this happen???  Is this a major issue?

When did you update to Build 4827 as i tried to update my X1 DVR today and it didnt update as i am still on Build 4816.Do they update by particular region at at a time?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 24 of 1,931 (10,142 Views)

Re: X1 FILTERS

sorry again.  know its been said, but not too much.  filter needed on the feed to the house, correct?  the other question is since there will be 2 x1 dvrs, does the bedroom one need a filter?  and also then i have to name them differently, right?  thanks.  i really want to get this the best it can to see how many times it does something funny. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 25 of 1,931 (10,143 Views)

JGal31 wrote:

My main DVR box just updated to the latest build (I believe it is 4827), but my satellite box did not.  Why does this happen???  Is this a major issue?

When did you update to Build 4827 as i tried to update my X1 DVR today and it didnt update as i am still on Build 4816.Do they update by particular region at at a time?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 26 of 1,931 (10,151 Views)

New Build on the X1

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 27 of 1,931 (10,172 Views)

hi, my friend is going to be getting X1 installed on wed.  this is in south florida and they just started the rollout here a week ago.  i am directing him so i asked for comcast to send a comcast tech.  this area has maybe about a million customers and all installs are done by stupid contracters and they just wind up sending a comcast tech in a day or two to fix it.  but i am smarter than them

i already was told which remote to make sure the tech brings, but i was wondering if someone again could provide whatever system statistics on the software levels so i can check them.  also those other levels (db ranges or whatever).  i know they have been posted before, but it must be in the pages 20 or wherever.

also this install will have 2 x1 dvr's and 1 x1 satellite, with no Anyroom.  

also can you control both dvrs from the dvr manager?

i appreciate someone posting when they get a chance.  thanks.

its nice to hear it is working better somewhat.  my friend is moving so he is going to keep his old motos for a week or so in case he cant tolerate X1.

thanks

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 28 of 1,931 (10,178 Views)

clay5523 wrote:

With 29 posts, I am surprised that you are just now aware of the fact the box never turns off. This has been mentioned in many,many posts here.

Keeping the box on probably eliminates a lot of unnecessary customer support calls. The setup has to function for millions of customers that don't have a clue of what to do when they can't get a picture, etc.

yes and also a dvr is like a computer.  they really should not be turned off.  if you turned a MOTO off, it would not record.  i never liked that because i had an SA once and even if it was off (was not really), it would still record.  the tivo does not even have a power button that i know (it has one for the tv), but actually i never looked because i dont turn the dvr off ever.  pulling out the plug in case of a rare reboot is the only time it is off.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 29 of 1,931 (10,277 Views)

I did not pull the plug and do a hard reset. I just pressed the power button to turn on the box. The box most likely had received a reboot command during the night and did not come up properly. On another morning I turned on the TV the video filled only one quarter of the screen. This required a hard reboot to resolve.

The software is not getting updated every night. The boxes are being rebooted via an initialization command from the head end. The software apparently has memory leaks and can't go more than 24 hours before they crash. The forced reboot is the memory leak work around.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 30 of 1,931 (10,282 Views)

When you pressed the button again on the box, you did a soft boot which reset the box as opposed to a hard reboot by pulling the power supply. So in fact the "system" was out of sync. I have not had that problem though I am sure Comcast hits every box for updates as well as to find out where there equipment is sometime during the night.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 31 of 1,931 (10,301 Views)

I must have missed the postings which mentioned the box never shuts off. I will admit I have not read all 38 pages of postings.

However my box was partially off this morning. Like I stated earlier I pointed the remote at the TV and the box and hit all power button. The TV came on with audio only. I then noticed the power indicator button on the box was off. I pressed the button and then video appeared. I have noticed the power light being off on other mornings. I think this is caused by the reboot signal Comcast is sending during the middle of the night.

The old Comcast universal remote would occasionally get out of synch, so I understand the idea of keeping the box on all the time. But this behavior is exposing Comcast to much bigger problems then the occasional phone calls of a box not turning on.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 32 of 1,931 (2,983 Views)

With 29 posts, I am surprised that you are just now aware of the fact the box never turns off. This has been mentioned in many,many posts here.

Keeping the box on probably eliminates a lot of unnecessary customer support calls. The setup has to function for millions of customers that don't have a clue of what to do when they can't get a picture, etc.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 33 of 1,931 (2,996 Views)

clay5523 wrote:

My X1  tunes to the last station watched when powering back up. If you are going to watch adult content, I would change the channel before shutting down the TV and X1 to be on the safe side.

I agree with you, but the fact is until this morning I did not realize the box never shuts off.

Comcast has had parental control problems in the past and takes these type of issues very seriously. I am surprised they would deploy this behavior.

I could be wrong, but I would think it would fairly simple to detect the TV is on through the HDMI port so that the box and TV would never get out of synch. If the TV powers on it tells the box to turn on in case it missed the IR code from the remote.

There is some power reduction by muting the audio and video outputs.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 34 of 1,931 (3,035 Views)

My X1  tunes to the last station watched when powering back up. If you are going to watch adult content, I would change the channel before shutting down the TV and X1 to be on the safe side.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 35 of 1,931 (3,041 Views)

X1 - Unable to cancel/modify future recordings

Has there been any resolution on the issue of being unable to cancel or modify any manually-set future recordings???

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 36 of 1,931 (3,042 Views)

mike_home wrote:

This is a poor design if it is expected behavior. Suppose someone tuned to a channel which had adult content and then pressed the all power button thinking they are shutting off the box and the TV. A minor in the household can come along and simply power on the TV and watch  restricted content without having to enter a PIN number.

When the X1 first came out there was a lot of user complaints registered in the forum about the TV and box getting out of sync when using the "all on" button.  The response was to change the way it worked to the present method.  

I'm not sure your example is correct - you should test it.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 37 of 1,931 (3,092 Views)

manamok wrote:

mike_home wrote:

Has anyone noticed that pressing "All Power" button does not shut off the set top box? I have always noticed that the ring around the power button always stays lit after I hit the all power button. I thought it was just a problem shutting off the power indicator light.

This morning I pressed the all power button and the TV powered on but the box did not. What happens is you hear audio, but there is no video and an you can't change channels. So I manually turned off the TV and then pressed the all power button again. This time the box and TV powered and audio and video was displayed. The box then responded to remote commands. I then pressed the power button on the box. The indicator light went out and the audio and video muted. I then press the button again. Surprisingly it takes about 5 - 7 seconds for the audio and video to start again.

I then put the remote close to the box so the TV would not turn off. Pushing the all power button does not turn off the box. The box is receiving the command since you can see the green indicator light blink each time I do a key press.

Testing that a set box can turn on and off properly is one of the most basic tests a QA team should be doing. In my opinion if the software cannot do this properly then the release should be rejected. I can only speculate that the software releases we are seeing are only being tested for specific bug fixes and then rushed out the door before a full QA regression test can be completed. For every bug fix there is a chance new bugs are introduced. This is why you must execute a full test plan before deploying to the field.  This would explain why we are seeing new bugs on the latest release.

This is normal - the box is designed to stay on so it does not get out of sync with the TV when using the "all on" remote button.  There is no difference in energy usage with box on or box off according to Comcast.

This is a poor design if it is expected behavior. Suppose someone tuned to a channel which had adult content and then pressed the all power button thinking they are shutting off the box and the TV. A minor in the household can come along and simply power on the TV and watch  restricted content without having to enter a PIN number.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 38 of 1,931 (3,147 Views)

mike_home wrote:

Has anyone noticed that pressing "All Power" button does not shut off the set top box? I have always noticed that the ring around the power button always stays lit after I hit the all power button. I thought it was just a problem shutting off the power indicator light.

This morning I pressed the all power button and the TV powered on but the box did not. What happens is you hear audio, but there is no video and an you can't change channels. So I manually turned off the TV and then pressed the all power button again. This time the box and TV powered and audio and video was displayed. The box then responded to remote commands. I then pressed the power button on the box. The indicator light went out and the audio and video muted. I then press the button again. Surprisingly it takes about 5 - 7 seconds for the audio and video to start again.

I then put the remote close to the box so the TV would not turn off. Pushing the all power button does not turn off the box. The box is receiving the command since you can see the green indicator light blink each time I do a key press.

Testing that a set box can turn on and off properly is one of the most basic tests a QA team should be doing. In my opinion if the software cannot do this properly then the release should be rejected. I can only speculate that the software releases we are seeing are only being tested for specific bug fixes and then rushed out the door before a full QA regression test can be completed. For every bug fix there is a chance new bugs are introduced. This is why you must execute a full test plan before deploying to the field.  This would explain why we are seeing new bugs on the latest release.

This is normal - the box is designed to stay on so it does not get out of sync with the TV when using the "all on" remote button.  There is no difference in energy usage with box on or box off according to Comcast.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 39 of 1,931 (3,177 Views)

New X2 interface

I live in the Chicagoland area and when I switch to the new X2 interface my guide and all my recordings show up in eastern time instead of central time so my guide and all my to be recorded show up to be done 1 hour later.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 40 of 1,931 (3,192 Views)

Re: New Bugs?

I am glad to hear that the missing program reappeared.  After numerous problems with the X1 and trying to return it, it had been working pretty good the last couple weeks, but today I noticed that of all the Colbert Reports I had recorded on a series recording, one was missing.  Not that big of a deal, I can watch it On Demand, although, supposedly it ends today.  I think I can see that online too.

But I had recorded a Letterman, that Louis CK was on, a couple weeks ago, but had never watched, and it is now gone too.  I tried turning off the box for ten seconds and then turning it back on, but the missing shows are still gone.

Maybe they will reappear at some point.  The capacity is only about half full, so that is not the problem.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 41 of 1,931 (3,192 Views)

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 42 of 1,931 (3,235 Views)

New Bugs?

I've noticed that with the new update, programs are getting recorded more reliably - I haven't had to restart the box as often.  A few new lesser bugs have shown up:

1) A movie I had recorded two months ago and not watched suddenly disappeared from the list of recordings.  I assumed I had not set the appropriate flag and at one point, my box did reach 75% utilization, so I didn't pay much attention.  A week later, the movie suddenly reappeared on the list, but another program (3 episodes) and an episode of a third program disappeared.  Now I'm wondering if they'll reappear later.

2) Last night, I had a few programs recording at various points.  At 10PM, three programs were recorded and appeared on the list as expected.  However, the start time was 10:04PM.  The 9PM programs showed up as starting at 9:03 PM.  That really puzzled me, but I was even more puzzled when I looked at the list of recordings on my second DVR, which is set up as anyroom.  The same programs on that TV were listed with the correct start times.  I opened up the info screen for one of the recorded programs and the reported length on that screen is different when I look at it on the two DVRs.  Of course, there is only one actual recording.  I can't even guess at how such a divergent view of the same information would be created unless the cloud is actually maintaining two different lists in the anyroom mode with the same information being stored in two places (differently).  I will be checking again tonight to see if this has healed itself.

Overall, I am NOT at all sorry to have upgraded to this interface.  The extra recording channels and the higher capacity have been great to have and the user interface is substantially better including the episode view, the search capability, the improved entry through the numerical lookup, etc.

Some issues that remain and continue to annoy are:

1) The inability to scroll through the guide or move to a particular program or day.  It used to be that if you were pointing to a program and you pushed "Guide," you went immediately to that program on that day.

2) The manual recording interface exists and has all the options and features you would want to have, although it's not easy to find.  But when I tried to use it to record a program more than two weeks in the future, it did not actually set up the recording, so the interface seems to be incompletely implemented.

3) The fact that the schedule and the recordings screens use the same sorting sequence and can't be set up separately is really annoying.  We'd like the schedule to be by date and the recordings to be by title.

Thanks,

Stan

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 43 of 1,931 (3,332 Views)

X1-Record Lights

On all my boxes and DVR the Record light is on all the time. Is this a common porblem?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 44 of 1,931 (3,421 Views)

Re: X1 - Episodes are deleted mysteriously

BondMan007 wrote:
This darn X1! I have been waiting for two months for A&E to rebroadcast all of Longmire Season two. Two weeks ago, I had all the episodes. Between yesterday and today, the X1 "platform" decided to delete two of the 13 episode even though the series is marked delete when "I delete" AND the DVR is only 39% full.

Nice. Thanks Comcast for charging me for this piece of junk.

i do not know why people keep complaining about this piece of junk.  get the old dvr back, get a huge credit from them for going back to the old reliable thing and be done with it until they completely finish x2...and then deal with the recordings in the cloud!  I WOULD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by
Edited on
‎09-29-2013 07:04 PM

Contributor

Message 45 of 1,931 (3,432 Views)

Re: X1 - Episodes are deleted mysteriously

[ Edited ]
This darn X1! I have been waiting for two months for A&E to rebroadcast all of Longmire Season two. Two weeks ago, I had all the episodes. Between yesterday and today, the X1 "platform" decided to delete two of the 13 episode even though the series is marked delete when "I delete" AND the DVR is only 39% full.

Nice. Thanks Comcast for charging me for this piece of junk.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 46 of 1,931 (3,468 Views)

Re: X1 -Revert to X1 interface

Thanks for that information. I really like the X2 interface. It's not the total package but it's very intuitive.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 47 of 1,931 (3,511 Views)

Re: X1 -Revert to X1 interface

Found this in another forum:

To revert to X1 interface, hold Exit for 5 Seconds you just use the "92 92" code again.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 48 of 1,931 (3,547 Views)

I installed the new X2, but when I hit exit or OK, from the guide, saved or on demand menus, I get a blank screen, however I do hear the sound.  From the blank screen I can get can back to the X2 features by hittng the Xfinity button, (guide,saved, on demand, etc), but I can't view a live, recorded, or on demand program.  Does anyone have any idea why the exit and OK button do not get you to the picture

Posted by
Edited on
‎09-29-2013 02:51 PM

Problem Solver

Message 49 of 1,931 (3,548 Views)

Re: X1 - DVR OLD Interface

[ Edited ]

The below instructions work great for you getting into the new interface but does anyone know how to switch it back with keystokes on your remote???

Exit Exit 92 29 on your remote. Alternatively Hold Exit for 5 Seconds and then hit 92 92. It's basically a beta version of the X2. So there are glitches in how it works. You may need to power your box off and on after you do it if you have a gray bar down the side of the screen. I did. But overall the feel of the new guide is much nicer. And much speedier. I've heard it works great on the satellite boxes but I don't have any of those so I can't attest to that. But again, it's not really something we're supposed to be accessing so obviously it's not finished yet.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 50 of 1,931 (3,592 Views)

Just a couple of observations:  I think it is wrong to put out a product and charge your customers while they are essentially providing beta testing.  I recently put in a Triple Play package for my in-laws because my father-in-law loves baseball.  I opted for the DVR because sometimes they rearrange their schedules based on my mother-in-laws PBS program viewing and I'd be able to setup recording of those shows over the web.  I was surprised to find many problems with the box, some aforementioned months ago in the forum here. 1) Everyday the box won't output audio until it is cold-booted. 2) Changing channels with Up/Down works until you get to a non-subscribed channel.  Then you have to use the Guide button to get away from it.  (A suggestion here would be to give the X1 boxes full access until you work out the bugs.  This morning I had to go over their house because the TV would turn on then go back to standby mode.  It was doing this because there was no signal from the X1 box which was on.  Cold-booting resolved the issue.  Another suggestion would be to allow a custom filter to be setup so a user could quickly move through their favorite minimal listings.  This would be good for seniors.  Folks, this is not "awesome", it is "awful".  I called in to service on the morning after the install.  45 minutes on hold and being spoken to like I'm the only one who has noticed these issues and then saying it may take up to 72 hours to hear a response.  After a week with no response I called in again and only spent 34 minutes on Hold.  The rep asked what my issue was and I referred him to the trouble ticket.  When I asked if I could get an update I was told that it was escalated to Tier2.  Is the non-X1 DVR still available?  Can I swap mine with theirs?  It would be much easier for me to deal with the issues at my house than theirs.