3 REPLIES
Posted by
Edited on
‎09-01-2011 08:16 AM

Valued Contributor

Message 1 of 4 (15,157 Views)

Re: Wireless Cable?

[ Edited ]

The scope of this question is a little bit beyond this forum (AVSforum may be better ) as there are just so many variables but in general:

There are two components, the wireless network itself and getting the tv signal onto the network.

For a wireless video network you really need to think about a dedicated setup that isn't shared by every other device in the house.  5GHz-N networks often work best as they have the least interference from other devices however you can make a normal wireless N work if you pay attention to distance, use directional antennas etc.  Distance is the primary factor that will determine how many HD data streams you can support; one is easy, multiple requires more attention to detail.  

The second issue is getting the video signal onto the network.  Depending on what you want to use as a source device, a sling box works fairly well.  If you are dealing with unencrypted ClearQAM content, an HD Homerun is excellent.  But be aware the industry is moving away from non  "copy-protected"  and non-encrypted content making media distribution far more difficult that it was in the past. 

The combination of Windows 7 media center and Xboxes as media center extenders can handle just about any content (even most encrypted) using cable card tuners.   MythTV and a cablecard tuner can handle content that does not have too many copy protection flag restrictions on it.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2 of 4 (15,162 Views)

What is required to set up a network of televisions, within a home, to operate those televisions wirelessly. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 3 of 4 (15,693 Views)

There are some, and most are of low quality, so if you pick on up, make sure you can return it.

Here's an example LINK .  Others are also available by doing a online search for "wireless TV transmitter"

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 4 of 4 (15,696 Views)

Wireless Cable?

Is it possible to get a wireless device hooked up to my cable box so that I can watch TV in a bedroom. I don't want to string a cable.