Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Which outlet is Comcast?

New Poster

Which outlet is Comcast?

There are multiple coax outlets on the same wall in my apartment. How do I tell which is Comcast's and which is the building's antenna?

Service Expert

Re: Which outlet is Comcast?

RalphSmithers wrote:

There are multiple coax outlets on the same wall in my apartment. How do I tell which is Comcast's and which is the building's antenna?

You could open the wallplates and see if there is any ID inside, you can then access your building's electrical/utility room and see if the wiring for Comcast is identified there with your apt number ( match the cable identification with the wiring inside your wallplate ).   Or you could just ask your apartment complex maintenance staff or the Manager,

You can also just connect the STB and TV to one of them and see if your cable service is active.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

It would be faster to connect with a coaxial-cable to the antenna input on the television. Then scan for stations. If it finds some, connect the cable-box to the other one. The OTA channels will give you some back-up when the cable fails.

New Poster

Thanks. Pretty much what I figured I'd do if someone here didn't have a better idea. Makes sense to me since I can't get access to the building's cable closet. 

Thanks for the reinforcement. 

New Poster

Thanks, they won't let me into their cable closet and neither the manager or the engineer knew what was coming into the wall plates which could have Comcast, At&T or Direct TV being fed into them. 

Problem Solver

I would check both to see if one is for an antenna.

If the system is hooked up correctly; one of the others could be hooked up to either of the local non-OTA services (3  you listed) by their service personnel. You might check with a neighbor.

New Poster

MNtundraRET wrote:

I would check both to see if one is for an antenna.

If the system is hooked up correctly; one of the others could be hooked up to either of the local non-OTA services (3  you listed) by their service personnel. You might check with a neighbor.

Thanks, but I'm on my own. The neighbors are quite elderly and haven't a clue. I'm gonna hook up a tv and do an auto-search for channels.

Problem Solver

Can you see any signs of an antenna or satellite dishes on the roof? Any signs of cable-box connections to main trunk cable outside of the building?

New Poster

MNtundraRET wrote:

Can you see any signs of an antenna or satellite dishes on the roof? Any signs of cable-box connections to main trunk cable outside of the building?

I'm certain that there are all 3 coming into the building and that there are coaxial outlets for the building's antenna &/or Comcast or Direct TV in each of the apartments. I just don't know which is which.  Thanks for the help. I'm planning on testing them tomorrow or Monday. 

Problem Solver

Ralph: I hope you have things working by now.

I suspect you may have to have Comcast service personnel come out to get the cable activated and connected to their trunk cable to install your initial service in your apartment. Replacing a faulty box at a later date most likely can be done by self install.