Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Whats all this talk about fidgety transmissions?

SOLVED
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 9

Hi

sorry about any confusion with the subject line. it seems some levity would be in order hereSmiley Happy

I have a second tier cable service in minnetonka/plymouth I get sat channels like tnt, tbs, com cent but no pay stuff ie hbo, show.

I am cabled direct, no set top box, to 2 units, a flat screen HD and an old school 9" color

On the flat screen I get analog and HD signals from the locals ie 2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 etc. I also get what looks like analog downconverts of  the sat channels (kinda noisy, actually).

on the 9" i get the same but no HD (duh)

What exactly should i be doing, if anything, to keep getting this teir of service, for the lowest cost, on both my tvs?

Do i need boxes? will the HD still pass thru on the big set? how about a box for the 9"

8 REPLIES
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 2 of 9

Sorry, I never heard the service put as second tier service.  We will need to narrow it down some.

Limited Basic would be about $21 a month.

Extended basic (standard cable) would be about $60 a month.

Please let us know which plan you fall under, then we can get you more answers.

Also, please be more exact on your location, as Plymouth is on the St. Paul Motorola system, Minnetonka is on the Minneapolis Scientific Atlanta system (old Time Warner)

Thanks

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 9

Absotively!

I am in Minnetonka, zip code 55345, and I remeber a long time ago that it was time warner.

I have Standard Cable (Basic and Basic 2)

please let me know if you need more info. Thanx

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 4 of 9

I'm in Southern Minnesota on that same system. To keep receiving your present service you will need boxes. If not you will only receive Basic channels as viewable. If you get boxes you end up getting a few additional channels like History International and some extra BTN channels. Standard cable(Expanded Basic is the latest name) has been upgraded and renamed Digital Starter. Latest price I have is $55.95  for New Ulm ; don't know how much more for Minnetonka; which includes the price of the Set Top Box. You should have received notices from Comcast about 3 weeks ago for the digital migration and the offer to get DTA boxes in the mail. We got ours about that time. 2 DTAs should be offered to you at no extra cost.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 9

Thank You commanguy!

I rememeber like 6 mo's ago we were told we could get a Standard Definition, albeit component video out, set top box free!.

we would gain the music only channels, and the program guide.

so i tried it out.

what a pain!

I had to split the signal, the remote and the channel switching was insane (it blocked ALL signals to my flat screen both SD and HD pass through, so i had to have my TV on Cable for hi def stuff, but then over to Video In/set top box for everything else. After 3 days I sent it back.

So now, if i read what you say correctly, I HAVE to go back to that mess?

btw, what do yu mean by BTN?

thanx again, and please to not interpret my displeasure with comcast as any slight or anger towards you!

I find out more info on forums of all kinds than any other way, and am grateful and happy for guys like you!

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 6 of 9
Solution

BTN=Big Ten Network.

From what little I watched of it during the off season it looked like reruns of classic Big Ten games. What I saw was usually football.

And yeah unless you have the Basic Tier only then you need a box. If your HD is getting the PBS stuff already like 2.1, 2.2,2.3,etc those should still come through on a digital tuner. I just went back to Basic level and my DVD digital tuner is getting those channels also; so far. Will have to see what happens when the Digital Migration is complete. At Basic level you get one STB for .95 cents plus 14 cents for the remote. So any television that doesn't have a digital tuner would get the extra channels offered on Basic. That includes all the Music Channels, CSPAN2, TPT-MN (2.2), and a few others.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 7 of 9

And nothing personal taken by anything you say. I see a lot of frustration in some of these posts. Since this is a user to user forum some of the new people are not aware that we are all customers.

I went back to Basic and to Economy Internet since I am unemployed and need to cut costs. Also in my case I couldn't see paying some of those networks fees for all the silly programming and reruns they offer.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 8 of 9

oh yeah, another reason i tried the box was "movies on demand"  HA should be called "garbage on demand"

becuz the titles were so lame, although they did have "the blob" w steve mcqueen!

I will wait until i get snow on my screens to switch.

I sent a request to comcast to find out what brand and model of STB is avail in my market, to see if it has passthrough or i have to get a splitter.

maybe its time to put the antenna back on the roof!

thanks again for all the help and answers

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 9 of 9

None of the full set top boxes or DTA's have pass thru, you would need to add your own splitter and possibly a A/B switch to bypass the box and tune in the HD directly.

Most would rather spring for a HD set top box at about $8 a month extra to receive the many HD channels available on Comcast digital cable.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon