New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TiVo Bolt receiving V53 errors on 2 out of 4 tuners

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

TiVo Bolt receiving V53 errors on 2 out of 4 tuners

Hello, my new TiVo Bolt works great on 2 of its tuners across all channels (including premiums), but the other 2 tuners always show this error regardless of channel:  Problem with the signal on this channel. Trying again. (V53)

According to the TiVo's own diagnostics, the signal strength for each tuner is about 75-76%, with a SNR of about 29-30%. On the two tuners that work the picture is very clear.

The multi-stream cable card is a Motorola unit with firmware 1573 06.25.

Premium channels look perfect on the 2 working tuners.

Can anybody help? Thanks for any info.

Accepted Solution

Re: TiVo Bolt receiving V53 errors on 2 out of 4 tuners

I am happy to report that my issue has been resolved. 

The root cause appears to be a faulty Tivo box. 

After numerous calls to Tivo support, and escalating to supervisors, I was able to convince them to send a replacement box which appears to be working on all four tuners.

Tivo was still suggesting that the signal to noise ratio was too high to the very end however. Something in their script pointed to that statement and ended there so they would not budge. 

In the end Comcast support got a group of experienced and caring techs involved which helped narrow things down a great deal. 

It is unfortunate that it took 2 weeks to get to a resolution, but I'm just glad it's over. 

Thank you to all those involved in assisting with this issue. 

View answer in context
Service Expert

SsrAnon,

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Official Employee

Hi SsrAnon, I apologize for your experiences with your two TiVo/cable cards.  I can assist in going over rate codes and card pairing information and will send you a private message to further assist.

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
New Poster

Was there a solution to this issue? I am having the exact same problem and have not been able to find an answer.

Thank you.
Frequent Visitor

Nearly a year after this thread was originally posted and no solution given. 

I appreciate that actual comcast employees reply and follow-up with the user, but what good does that do for future users that run into similar problems? This is the main reason for a support forum!!

I have had this problem for over a week now.

Upon contacting Comcast phone support I dealt with numerous agent who had little to no understanding of Tivo or cable cards. The results were frustrating and fruitless (or maybe designed this way so that we’ll all use their X1 boxes ಠ_ಠ )

Eventually a tech was sent to my home requiring me to take off from work. His admission upon entering my home that he had not dealt with a cable card in years was not what I wanted to hear.

Upon having me swap the cable card out he called comcast support; seemingly the same support I too would call to do the same thing. 

After the card was successfully paired with the Tivo Bolt phone support told this tech standing in my house that it would take 45 minutes or more for the latest firmware to be loaded to the card. In other words we would not know if this "new" card (it was far from new, looking more beat up than my original card) had fixed my issue until well after this tech left. Not the gamble I was willing to take since as I said I had taken off of work for this appointment and had already been experiencing issues for many days. 

Since this caused me to become understandably agitated the tech decided to stick around and wait with me. How nice. The truth was, he had no further input into this issue. He was not a qualified cable card tech. He basically was just there to deliver a different cable card. Had I known this I would have not taken off of work, but instead gone myself to the local comcast depot to pick up a card, swap it out, pair it, wait the 45 minutes, find that it didn't fix the issue, then follow up with support. More of my time wasted. Par for the course with Comcast in my experience. 

While waiting for this firmware to be loaded the on-site tech did 2 things; he got an instrument from his truck to check our signal ("all green, looks good"), and did something outside to our connection. The next day we would discover that whatever he did outside completely removed any signal from our other TV, but that's another matter, and another reason we'll need a follow-up tech visit at the expense of our time...

After the first support call my wife had found this support forum thread, but without an actual detailed explanation as to what fixed the issue it was of little help outside of confirming to us that the issue was on the comcast side. 

Searching the Tivo support site leads you to a page explaining that the V53 error message is a problem with the signal; it says as much in the error message itself! The signal comes from comcast, so it's only natural to contact comcast support. Except when doing that numerous times they would try to say it was a tivo problem. Ok, while waiting for our new firmware we decided to humor them and contact Tivo support. Within minutes they had us digging through Tivo menus to run diagnostics. This was already leaps and bounds beyond the troubleshooting offered by comcast support! In going through some Tivo diagnostics they found that while the signal might be sufficient, the signal-to-noise ratio was too high and suggested we let comcast know this so they could fix it. I called the tech who had already left our home to let him know this hoping he'd turn around and come back to fix it. No, he said that was something the comcast back office could fix. I found this odd, but ok. I called comcast support and they 'sent signals' to our box for what seemed like the 10th time with no difference in our connection. 

A day later I was contacted by somebody to see if I was all good after my recent tech visit. I was not. Not even close. The very difficult to understand phone rep very kindly got me to somebody on the advanced support desk. This new person, one of many I had dealt with, none of which were in contact with each other, (and all spinning their wheels separately) reached out to somebody who they knew was experienced with cable cards. What an interesting idea; to contact somebody who was familiar with the equipment I was having an issue with!!! This was groundbreaking! The problem was I couldn't talk to this new cable card guru. The advanced support tech would talk to me and relay info to cable card guru via chat. Odd, but we're desperate at this point. The new cable card guru said he thought for sure it was a billing issue, and wanted data ID numbers, card serial numbers, host ID numbers etc. Great! I've only given this info to about 4 people already if not more. In relaying this info I thought it would be good for the advanced support tech to read the many numbers back to me. Wouldn't you know they got some wrong??! I wonder why these cable cards rarely work... After over an hour on the phone on a Sunday evening we got no further towards fixing the problem. If only a support forum somewhere had a clear explanation of what had fixed the same issue for other users in the past year...

The next day I launched the xfinity My Account iOS app to see if my cable boxes had multiplied some more (you see, despite having 2 cable cards in my house the My Account app was showing I had 3 originally, then it was 4 when the "tech" brought my "new" one and then it went to 5 after support was messing around with our account. only 1 of the entries in the My Account app actually matched a card I physically owned. I found that odd from the start and told whoever would listen, but nothing was ever done to fix it. Anyway...). To my wonder and amazement the My Account app was showing I had an upcoming support visit scheduled for Wednesday (this was on Monday evening) from 11am-1pm!! Not only did nobody tell me this, but nobody even thought to ask me if this day and time worked for me. It didn't!!! Amazing. Amazingly bad support all around. Luckily I noticed this appointment in time and was able to adjust it to a time that I could schedule more time off of work, but I have no way of knowing if this change works for the tech they were sending. This is important since I was told they were looking for somebody who was experienced in cable cards. We'll see...

If this forum thread included actual details around what was wrong with the original poster's connection, signal, account, cable card, box etc then even if comcast sent another unqualified tech at least we would have a root cause and solution to work off of. Maybe somebody can remedy this, but from my years of experience with comcast I would not hold my breath on it. Especially since last year after having a similar issue the tech that came to my house 3 times eventually found somebody who had cable card experience and was able to tell him what needed to do on the Comcast back end to actually fix it. Did that tech or anybody update my ticket with an explanation as to what was done to fix it? Nope. Don’t worry though, one of the many Comcast support reps I spoke with assured me that they include everything in the notes of the ticket. Except they don’t.

Official Employee

C0mcast_Trouble wrote:

Nearly a year after this thread was originally posted and no solution given. 

I appreciate that actual comcast employees reply and follow-up with the user, but what good does that do for future users that run into similar problems? This is the main reason for a support forum!!

I have had this problem for over a week now.

Upon contacting Comcast phone support I dealt with numerous agent who had little to no understanding of Tivo or cable cards. The results were frustrating and fruitless (or maybe designed this way so that we’ll all use their X1 boxes ಠ_ಠ )

Eventually a tech was sent to my home requiring me to take off from work. His admission upon entering my home that he had not dealt with a cable card in years was not what I wanted to hear.

Upon having me swap the cable card out he called comcast support; seemingly the same support I too would call to do the same thing. 

After the card was successfully paired with the Tivo Bolt phone support told this tech standing in my house that it would take 45 minutes or more for the latest firmware to be loaded to the card. In other words we would not know if this "new" card (it was far from new, looking more beat up than my original card) had fixed my issue until well after this tech left. Not the gamble I was willing to take since as I said I had taken off of work for this appointment and had already been experiencing issues for many days. 

Since this caused me to become understandably agitated the tech decided to stick around and wait with me. How nice. The truth was, he had no further input into this issue. He was not a qualified cable card tech. He basically was just there to deliver a different cable card. Had I known this I would have not taken off of work, but instead gone myself to the local comcast depot to pick up a card, swap it out, pair it, wait the 45 minutes, find that it didn't fix the issue, then follow up with support. More of my time wasted. Par for the course with Comcast in my experience. 

While waiting for this firmware to be loaded the on-site tech did 2 things; he got an instrument from his truck to check our signal ("all green, looks good"), and did something outside to our connection. The next day we would discover that whatever he did outside completely removed any signal from our other TV, but that's another matter, and another reason we'll need a follow-up tech visit at the expense of our time...

After the first support call my wife had found this support forum thread, but without an actual detailed explanation as to what fixed the issue it was of little help outside of confirming to us that the issue was on the comcast side. 

Searching the Tivo support site leads you to a page explaining that the V53 error message is a problem with the signal; it says as much in the error message itself! The signal comes from comcast, so it's only natural to contact comcast support. Except when doing that numerous times they would try to say it was a tivo problem. Ok, while waiting for our new firmware we decided to humor them and contact Tivo support. Within minutes they had us digging through Tivo menus to run diagnostics. This was already leaps and bounds beyond the troubleshooting offered by comcast support! In going through some Tivo diagnostics they found that while the signal might be sufficient, the signal-to-noise ratio was too high and suggested we let comcast know this so they could fix it. I called the tech who had already left our home to let him know this hoping he'd turn around and come back to fix it. No, he said that was something the comcast back office could fix. I found this odd, but ok. I called comcast support and they 'sent signals' to our box for what seemed like the 10th time with no difference in our connection. 

A day later I was contacted by somebody to see if I was all good after my recent tech visit. I was not. Not even close. The very difficult to understand phone rep very kindly got me to somebody on the advanced support desk. This new person, one of many I had dealt with, none of which were in contact with each other, (and all spinning their wheels separately) reached out to somebody who they knew was experienced with cable cards. What an interesting idea; to contact somebody who was familiar with the equipment I was having an issue with!!! This was groundbreaking! The problem was I couldn't talk to this new cable card guru. The advanced support tech would talk to me and relay info to cable card guru via chat. Odd, but we're desperate at this point. The new cable card guru said he thought for sure it was a billing issue, and wanted data ID numbers, card serial numbers, host ID numbers etc. Great! I've only given this info to about 4 people already if not more. In relaying this info I thought it would be good for the advanced support tech to read the many numbers back to me. Wouldn't you know they got some wrong??! I wonder why these cable cards rarely work... After over an hour on the phone on a Sunday evening we got no further towards fixing the problem. If only a support forum somewhere had a clear explanation of what had fixed the same issue for other users in the past year...

The next day I launched the xfinity My Account iOS app to see if my cable boxes had multiplied some more (you see, despite having 2 cable cards in my house the My Account app was showing I had 3 originally, then it was 4 when the "tech" brought my "new" one and then it went to 5 after support was messing around with our account. only 1 of the entries in the My Account app actually matched a card I physically owned. I found that odd from the start and told whoever would listen, but nothing was ever done to fix it. Anyway...). To my wonder and amazement the My Account app was showing I had an upcoming support visit scheduled for Wednesday (this was on Monday evening) from 11am-1pm!! Not only did nobody tell me this, but nobody even thought to ask me if this day and time worked for me. It didn't!!! Amazing. Amazingly bad support all around. Luckily I noticed this appointment in time and was able to adjust it to a time that I could schedule more time off of work, but I have no way of knowing if this change works for the tech they were sending. This is important since I was told they were looking for somebody who was experienced in cable cards. We'll see...

If this forum thread included actual details around what was wrong with the original poster's connection, signal, account, cable card, box etc then even if comcast sent another unqualified tech at least we would have a root cause and solution to work off of. Maybe somebody can remedy this, but from my years of experience with comcast I would not hold my breath on it. Especially since last year after having a similar issue the tech that came to my house 3 times eventually found somebody who had cable card experience and was able to tell him what needed to do on the Comcast back end to actually fix it. Did that tech or anybody update my ticket with an explanation as to what was done to fix it? Nope. Don’t worry though, one of the many Comcast support reps I spoke with assured me that they include everything in the notes of the ticket. Except they don’t.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have engaged our local technical operations team and our national cable card team on your issue.   The right teams are now involved to review and assist. In fact, I can already see a few potential issues that the teams will be focusing on.   

V53 does indicate in most cases a localized signal issue and is not usually a physical "cable card" problem. 

We do have a list of common TiVo error codes posted here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Common-TiVo-Error-Codes/td-p/3000862

There is local maintenance ticket open for your neighborhood that could be a cause of the V53 issue, also I am seeing that the "node" (your geographical area) may not be assigned correctly to your account which may also be a contributing factor.

Apologies again for the issue and the experience and thanks for your continued patience while the teams investigate further.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

There have been Bolts with individual tuners that were defective.

You might check the TiVo Community Forums.

-KP

Frequent Visitor

With thinking like that you should work for comcast! They very often try to blame the Tivo. And sure, that could be the problem, but without any actual troubleshooting on their part I'm so far unconvinced. 

Within minutes of getting on a call with Tivo they were able to run through actual troubleshooting steps using honest-to-goodness diagnostic tools to determine there was in fact an issue with the comcast signal.

And, not coincidentally at all, the V53 error message specifically mentions an issue with the signal. 

I think for now I'd like to work off of the premise that this is currently a comcast issue and not a defective Tivo despite that definitely being a possibility. Albeit a very small one. 

Frequent Visitor

so should somebody be contacting me? 

good to hear the right teams are involved, but what are they doing? what should I be doing? am I still taking off work today to meet another tech at my home in the hopes that they are going there with a plan of attack and clear fix? 

many people have said they see issues with my account. it's a wonder we get any service at all for how many times I've heard this. is it a case of too many chefs spoil the broth?

is it possible that somebody can fix all of the issues with my account while not increasing my bill (which happened last year) and fixing my issue? if so, who is this magical person? I need to speak to them at this point. 

Official Employee

C0mcast_Trouble wrote:

good to hear the right teams are involved, but what are they doing? what should I be doing? am I still taking off work today to meet another tech at my home in the hopes that they are going there with a plan of attack and clear fix? 

many people have said they see issues with my account. it's a wonder we get any service at all for how many times I've heard this. is it a case of too many chefs spoil the broth?

is it possible that somebody can fix all of the issues with my account while not increasing my bill (which happened last year) and fixing my issue? if so, who is this magical person? I need to speak to them at this point. 

Someone is expected to reach out, we will make this right. Thanks for your patience. 

As an update, we have updated your account so that your account is now in the correct "node" in our back office system. That was likely one of the factors in this situation. Apologies that our team's earlier reviews did not catch that.

Our local technical operations leadership is in the loop on what has been done so far and what to check for on today's technician visit to address any localized signal level issues. First goal is to get you up and running, second goal is to provide credit for the days you were without service and then conduct a through review on what happened, what should have happened, uncover how your account got into this state and identify some opportunities for improvement with people, process, policies and tools.

Thanks again for your continued patience. I am confident that we can get the services working for you.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

C0mcast_Trouble wrote:

I heard from some of the team that are working your issue that this is looking to be an issue with the specific Tivo device that you have. 

I have heard of some occasions (they are rare) where some of the tuners are "bad", either a hardware of a software issue from the device itself.

You can return your TiVo and TiVo will replace it. We have contacts at TiVo so please let me know if you need assistance with that process.

Apologies again and thanks for your patience through the process.  

Some examples below: 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Cable-card-issues-with-two-tuners-of-four-tuners/m-p/256...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Tivo-Bolt-No-Signal-V52-Everywhere/m-p/2826590

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Yesterday's tech visit was the complete opposite of my last one. The techs were well informed, had a plan of attack, told me their plan and thoughts, and kept me updated the entire time. This was a welcome change of pace.

The problem persists, but I am currently working with Tivo to see what they can do. They are still not happy with my comcast signal. While the strength is acceptable, they state that the signal-to-noise ratio is too high (36-37% when checked). They suggested I have comcast fix this, or buy an attenuator to reduce the signal?? This seems odd to me, but this is how these things go where one company blames the other and the customer is stuck in the middle. 

Gold Problem Solver

C0mcast_Trouble wrote: ... they state that the signal-to-noise ratio is too high ...

That claim does not make sense to me. SNR is a measure of how "clean" a signal is. I can't think how a signal could be "too clean".

Frequent Visitor

Belive me, none of this makes sense. I questioned the Tivo CSR who talked around it without answering so I asked to talk to a supervisor. The supervisor did the same thing. They're grasping at straws it seems like to me. 

Official Employee

C0mcast_Trouble wrote:

Belive me, none of this makes sense. I questioned the Tivo CSR who talked around it without answering so I asked to talk to a supervisor. The supervisor did the same thing. They're grasping at straws it seems like to me. 

Apologies. I will update our TiVo contacts now on the current situation and ask that one of their team members review and contact you directly. They can conference in someone from the Comcast team if needed so together we can get your services working on your customer-owned device.

Thanks for your patience.    

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

After numerous calls to Tivo support, and escalating to supervisors, I was able to convince them to send a replacement box which appears to be working on all four tuners.

Tivo was still suggesting that the signal to noise ratio was too high to the very end however. Something in their script pointed to that statement and ended there so they would not budge. 

In the end Comcast support got a group of experienced and caring techs involved which helped narrow things down a great deal. 

It is unfortunate that it took 2 weeks to get to a resolution, but I'm just glad it's over. 

Contributor

Weird!

Who told you that 2 weeks ago?

-KP

Frequent Visitor

you did buddy! you get the internet points!

now if only you could have sat on the phone with support for the many hours I did, and take off work to meet a tech multiple times in my place. if only you managed to reply to this thread a year ago you would have saved me a ton of trouble. 

and for the record you suggested it was the tivo a week ago. a week into my very long struggle to get anybody to actually troubleshoot anything. 

thanks for your input. we did it!

Official Employee

DSohayda wrote:

Glad to hear that all is working as expected now. I have shared your post above with Comcast teams that worked this issue.

Thanks for your patience as we worked to figure this out and apologies that this took as long as it took to get resolved.

We will be looking at this experience to see where we have opportunities to improve and make any necessary changes. . 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.