online now

discussions

TV "Bricked" by EF01 error message - Comcast DVR

Highlighted
Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 30

To Comcast:

I have had nothing but failures with Comcast service.  I currently have (had) the Preferred HD TP and for the last two days I have not had telephone service, nor have I had TV service to one DVR.  The EF01 error on the DVR has disabled all HDMI connections on my TV, and it is now a very expensive piece of landfill.  I did not attempt to download or illegally copy any content that might have triggered the destruction of my TV.  With Comcast's army of attorneys I stand little chance of recovering my loss, but I certainly will join the army of dissatisfied consumers that have been ripped off by Comcast's despicable practices.  Eventually, better alternatives (like streaming directly from HBO, etc.) will evolve, and hopefully Comcast will just dry up and remain only an ugly memory.

I am canceling my service and demanding my first month's payment returned under the terms of the customer satisfaction guarantee.  I am within the 30 day period during which I can expect to have my initial payment refunded. 

I have had numerous problems, none of which were of my own doing.  Each time a tech would arrive and explain how the "correct codes just aren't being applied", or the "boot file wasn't initiated correctly" or "you just have to get he right person". 

I don’t deserve the grief, and you don't deserve me as a customer, so I will move on.  I was with Dish Network for many years, and I can go back.  I just thought Xfinity might have something better.  I was so wrong.

Please acknowledge this notice and remit my first months payment to:

29 REPLIES
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 2 of 30
I suggest you call Comcast, since a Comcast representative may not see your post.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 3 of 30

How does an error from a cable box disable (all) TV connectors?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 4 of 30

I don't see how the DVR could fully kill all of your HDMI inputs. Have you don a full power cycle on the TV? Have you looked in the manual or on-line to see if there is a 'reset to factory settings' procedure?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 5 of 30

I have called Comcast and chatted online until I'm exhausted.  In one case, I repeated a MAC # at least 6 times, always enunciating very clearly, and each time the heavily accented voice repeated the ID # back with extra letters or digits.  I gave up after 45 minutes when she asked me to repeat my name.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 30

Typically, a handshake mismatch will only kill one HDMI input connection, but if you do enough research, you will find cases where all inputs are disabled.  A Comcast tech has confirmed this, based on his experience.  He further intimated that at least some Samsung TV's HDMIs' can be restored.  

Posted by
Contributor

Message 7 of 30

I have power cycled the TV, the DVR, the dishwasher, changed cables, swapped every electronic device in and out of other set-ups, checked for firmware updates, and I can tell you the only part that still needs to still be swapped out is the service provider.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 8 of 30

Google for 'Samsung TV Factory Reset" and maybe some extra information as to what model or year, and you can see if that will restore all HDMI.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=samsung+tv+factory+reset
Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 30

To andyross:  

I would "Google for 'Samsung TV Factory Reset" except that I have (had) a Panasonic Viera TV. The tech in the earlier post wasn't referencing my TV.   I have contacted Panasonic and their technical support had about the same degree of accent, and the same level of expertise as the Comcast online tech support team.  Nothing gained.  I have yet to find a fix for the disabled HDMI inputs,  despite some pretty in-depth forum queries.

However, I should emphasize the local techs, construction manager, and engineering staff for Comcast that I have dealt with have been superb.  Unfortunately, they don't run the show.  Each time a tech has been sent out, it's been programming coded incorrectly or a provisioning error, or some other glaring display of incompetence.  And today I got my second billing...replete with erroneous charges for a service call to fix THEIR screw-ups and an install they did NOT do.  Yet another battle to wage.  

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 10 of 30

First, if it was that common for the cable boxes to disable all the HDMI ports on a TV, these forums and elsewhere would be filled with messages. It's also possible it's just a general failure in the TV itself not directly related to Comcast.

My general message is the same. Google for your TV's factory reset codes.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 11 of 30

Well, I never suggested it was "common".  It is no less of a problem b/c it may not be common.  Because it occurred at the same time our VOIP failed, during the night with no one near the TV, it is pretty unlikely that it would be a "general failure".  Once past "infant mortality", the failure rate of IC's is miniscule.  HDMI connectors are another issue due to inherently poor physical design. (Cables/cable bodies are too stiff for the rather flimsy, short connector.  Manufactures are too cheap to support the connection with screws like used with series connectors)  In this case however, the cables have been handled carefully , and manipulated almost never.

I have already done  factory resets on the TV using multiple methods.  There are no diagnostic messages indicating a malfunction.  As the well qualified Comcast tech told me:  "I doubt this (Panasonic) TV can be restored".  Like I said earlier:  At least in our area these local guys know stuff!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 30

@olWC I understand you are *BEYOND* given up. However, for prosperity sake (maybe help out the next guy). Can you please tell me what Firmware Version your box is?

To do this,

press Menu2x.

Scroll to Setup. Click OK

Scroll down to Cable Box Click OK

Scroll down to Configuration Click OK

On the right side of Page you should see Firmware. 

Based upon which version you have, there are known software bugs. Let me know please, thanks. 

There's only a few ways the T.V. can "brick" based on HDMI

Improper Settings or Software Issues. 

Why (I don['t know)--but my Smart TV would lose the HDMI connection whenever I turned off the T.V. Moving the port resolved it. 

Your Smart TV should have with it some sort of Diagnostic Screen (both Sound/Video)--Example, with LG, you can see a Picture of Football Players or Hear a Symphony. 

*IN THIS CASE*--IT IS 1000000000% INDEPENDENT OF ANYTHING---ANYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE other than the T.V. itself. If by going to that screen, it is malformed in anyway. Then it's not Comcast. 

if the screen *IS* OK, then I need to know your Firmware to help you further (well, help the next guy). 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 13 of 30

@TheDude2012:

Thanks for your contribution...I attempted to determine the firmware version, but didn't get very far.  My Panny is a model TH-42PX85U and the Menu button is a toggle so pressing it 2x results in no menu.  

If I go to menu (1x) and scroll to Set-up, Cable Box is not one of the options.  What am I missing?

The Panasonic technical support Webpage is the worst I've ever been to.  There are over 4,200 "hits" for "firmware update", and there is no rational organization.  DVD players are intermingled with TV, etc.  Any update instructions that I did find did not apply to my TV.  Searching for the model # resulted in "no results".

I called Panasonic, but the respondent was from another world, not just another country.  Sure would like to find a magic cure for the TV, but it doesn't look very promising.

Thanks again for taking an interest.

'olWC

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 14 of 30

olWC wrote:

Thanks for your contribution...I attempted to determine the firmware version, but didn't get very far.  My Panny is a model TH-42PX85U and the Menu button is a toggle so pressing it 2x results in no menu. 

If I go to menu (1x) and scroll to Set-up, Cable Box is not one of the options.  What am I missing?

What is the manufacturer/model number of your DVR?

Did you try to find the firmware version on the tv or your cable box?

Using the CABLE box

press Menu2x.

Scroll to Setup. Click OK

Scroll down to Cable Box Click OK

Scroll down to Configuration Click OK

On the right side of Page you should see Firmware.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 15 of 30

The make/model: Moto DCX3501/E385/12/500 (possibly also known as RNG200?)  

I had only attempted to update the firmware on the TV...so I followed your instructions for the Cable Box.  With the Cable Box and TV on and all connections correct... pressing the menu button twice has no effect.  The Cable Box blinks acknowledging the commands from the remote, but nothing changes on the set-top box display.  And since the HDMI inputs are all not working, nothing appears on the TV as well.

The Dude2012 is referencing a Smart TV, which mine is not.  (and without the HDMI's, it's even dumber than usual!)  

Thank you for attempting to assist.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 16 of 30

Sorry to read about your many frustrations with Comcast. I'm a tech with the company and thought I may be able to lend a hand.

Have you tried connecting another component to one of these dead HDMI ports to see if its actually dead or just not communicating with the Comcast STB (Set Top Box)? I.E. Game Console, DVD/Blue Ray Player?

I suspect the latter and that the actual HDMI port is functioning just fine. If your able to get a picture on another component I can help. Try it out and report back. I look forward to helping you find some sorte of resolution to your headaches.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 17 of 30

MrXfinity wrote:

Sorry to read about your many frustrations with Comcast. I'm a tech with the company and thought I may be able to lend a hand.

Have you tried connecting another component to one of these dead HDMI ports to see if its actually dead or just not communicating with the Comcast STB (Set Top Box)? I.E. Game Console, DVD/Blue Ray Player?

I suspect the latter and that the actual HDMI port is functioning just fine. If your able to get a picture on another component I can help. Try it out and report back. I look forward to helping you find some sorte of resolution to your headaches.

MrXfinity...

I'm having the same problem.

I turned the tv on, and it seems that the STB is working properly. It is acknowledging commands from the remote, but the TV cannot find it's signal. I tried other HDMI ports and more of the same. I switched HDMI cables and more of the same. I then plugged in my BluRay player into the same HDMI ports and it is working fine. 

I called Comcast and they tried to reset it and then told me to wait 40 minutes and cycle it again. Still nothng. I then noticed that I am getting the EF01 message on the STB LED.

Any suggestions?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 18 of 30

auhansel1 wrote:

MrXfinity wrote:

MrXfinity...

I'm having the same problem.

I turned the tv on, and it seems that the STB is working properly. It is acknowledging commands from the remote, but the TV cannot find it's signal. I tried other HDMI ports and more of the same. I switched HDMI cables and more of the same. I then plugged in my BluRay player into the same HDMI ports and it is working fine. 

I called Comcast and they tried to reset it and then told me to wait 40 minutes and cycle it again. Still nothng. I then noticed that I am getting the EF01 message on the STB LED.

Any suggestions?

Update:

So I went and picked up a component video/audio cable and I am now getting my service. It's a quick fix for the moment, but I guess I need to get a new box for the HDMI input to work. I called Comcast back to see if there was anything else they could do, and I guess the service rep I spoke to had already set up an appointment for a technician to come by on Saturday. I won't be here, and now I'm on hold trying to cancel the appointment. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 19 of 30

Its more than likely the box on the wrong resolution settings, or the account does not have a high definition billing charge. Most of the newer equipment will disable the HDMI output if the account is not billed for HD service.

Do you know how to modify the resolution settings on teh comcast equipment?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 20 of 30

MrXfinity wrote:

Its more than likely the box on the wrong resolution settings, or the account does not have a high definition billing charge. Most of the newer equipment will disable the HDMI output if the account is not billed for HD service.

Do you know how to modify the resolution settings on teh comcast equipment?

It's set on 1080i. I've had this box for 2 years though, and it just messed up today. I have HD, and the HD is working on component.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 21 of 30

I'd appreciate any follow-up on this.  I'm on my third Comcast DVR in a month of service, and everything HDMI-related went out last night, after just a couple of days with a DCX3400.  Panasonic TC-55UT50 (brand new), Pioneer VSX-921K receiver.

If Comcast's junk STB broke my gear, Comcast WILL be paying for it.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 22 of 30

I've been getitng this same error code & my TV getting bricked. Happens every week or so, and I'm on my second Motorola RNG200N cable box.

I've called into Comcast msot times it dies, but they claim that EF01 is not a valid error code. HAHA

I talked to a nice rep & request that when someone at COmcast finds out what the error code is they call me back. Maybe Mr MrXfinitycoudl inform his coworkes wha the error code is. Next he coudl work on a fix. :^)

I assuem this si the DRM handshaking from the cable box to through my Sony A/V to my Samsung TV. Most (all?) of my gear is less than 3 years old.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 23 of 30

"EF01 = settop was not able to get EDID from the connected HDMI TV. This indicates an HDMI bus reading / interop issue."  

If this repeatedly happens, it can be the cables but could be a bad cable box.  The sony a/v in the middle just adds more to look into when trouble shooting.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 24 of 30

I am the original poster and there is plenty of misleading info being shared on this subject.  I was fortunate enough to find a Panasonic component level tech from the old days that knows what is going on.  I sent him my "A" board and he restored it. The TV has worked flawlessly since the boards return. In my conversations with him, he confirmed exactly what I had suspected.  Comcast had disabled my HDMI's.  Reflashing the eprom on the A board will restore them if that is the cause.  You have to be a bit tech savvy to attempt this, as you have to know how to identify and safely remove the correct board and examine it very carefully for physical damage.  Some of the posters responding to this thread are trying to be helpful; I suspect others may be fabricating a smoke screen for their masters.  In any case, most of the time you should not need to "landfill" your malfunctioning TV.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 25 of 30

You may be correct, but technically all that is Known is that the Tv's hdmi ports became disabled, and you suspect (believe) Comcast disabled them.  (you did of cource test using a different hdmi source & the tv disconnected from all other sources, rite?)

The EF01 msg you described would be a result of the inability of the STB to communicate with the Tv, after the Tv's hdmi ports became disabled.

If you Are correct then you should antisipate that it will happen again, possibly repeatedly.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 26 of 30

@dj280:

Yes, certainly I verified the source of the problem by connecting isolated HDMI sources confirmed to be working in other systems.  

Since I no longer have Comcast set-top boxes to contend with, I feel extremely confident that the HDMI failure will not happen again.

Anybody smell smoke?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 27 of 30

olWC wrote:

@dj280:

Since I no longer have Comcast set-top boxes to contend with, I feel extremely confident that the HDMI failure will not happen again.

Cool, keep us updated  Smiley Happy

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 28 of 30
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 29 of 30

I see the Comcast censors are hard at work.  So let's try again:

Like the original poster, I had my property BRICKED by Comcast's garbage DVR, in my case a Motorola DCX3400.  It killed the HDMI ports in my Pioneer reciever and Panasonic TV in less than 24 hours.  And they were flat dead--I'm an engineer, I know how to test hardware.  No combination of cables or devices worked, no resets or power cycling (even days without power) would recover them.  Comcast's incompetent and negligent implementation of HDCP destroyed both devices.  My property.

After raising HECK with Comcast and God knows how many missed "service" calls and hours on the phone talking to people who don't speak English, Comcast agreed to pay to replace the receiver.  The TV was repaired under warranty (replaced the A board).

Do NOT, under any circumstances, allow Comcast's GARBAGE gear into your home.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 30 of 30
Reverse the HDMI cable connection