New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TIVO V58 Not Authorized error

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

TIVO V58 Not Authorized error

Sadly, 1.5.3_F.p. 1201 is not necessarily the solution, at least not for my TiVo Roamio. As far as I can tell, this is the latest firmware update as of Oct 2014 and I am suffering severe "channel not authorized (V58)" issues, even on non-premium channels such as NBC (both SD and HD channels). The TiVo Premier XL in our bedroom works just fine on all 4 tuners and its cablecard has the same firmware version.

I had this same issue, although not as severe, about a year ago but it finally resolved itself. Now its back and worse than ever.

I've called Comcast 4 times (including the activation dept at 877-405-6489) and got the same level of cablecard ignorance from each rep I spoke to. One kept insisting that I unplug and replug my cable box even after I told her over and over that I have a CableCard, not a box. Nothing new to anyone here that has had to rely on Comcast phone support, I'm sure.

Supposedly have a tech coming on Friday. Sure hope he brings a handful of replacement cable cards as I requested as I can only assume this SA M-card has gone bad. Speaking of which, how do you decipher the numbers printed on the card itself? None of the numbers are labeled. Which would be the serial # which the techs always ask for?

PKCQHJGTH

001BD7838EB9

4011354 OJ

04/23/2009

ComcastTeds I salute you for attempting to help so many frustrated users all on your own. Your employer should take note.

Accepted Solution

Re: Firmware 1.5.3_F.p. 1201

Hutchinj wrote:

Sadly, 1.5.3_F.p. 1201 is not necessarily the solution, at least not for my TiVo Roamio. As far as I can tell, this is the latest firmware update as of Oct 2014 and I am suffering severe "channel not authorized (V58)" issues, even on non-premium channels such as NBC (both SD and HD channels). The TiVo Premier XL in our bedroom works just fine on all 4 tuners and its cablecard has the same firmware version.

I had this same issue, although not as severe, about a year ago but it finally resolved itself. Now its back and worse than ever.

I've called Comcast 4 times (including the activation dept at 877-405-6489) and got the same level of cablecard ignorance from each rep I spoke to. One kept insisting that I unplug and replug my cable box even after I told her over and over that I have a CableCard, not a box. Nothing new to anyone here that has had to rely on Comcast phone support, I'm sure.

Supposedly have a tech coming on Friday. Sure hope he brings a handful of replacement cable cards as I requested as I can only assume this SA M-card has gone bad. Speaking of which, how do you decipher the numbers printed on the card itself? None of the numbers are labeled. Which would be the serial # which the techs always ask for?

PKCQHJGTH

001BD7838EB9

4011354 OJ

04/23/2009

ComcastTeds I salute you for attempting to help so many frustrated users all on your own. Your employer should take note.

Glad to help and get your issue to the right teams. Please send me via PM (Private Message) some account information (name, address, phone number on your account) and I can look into this further so that we can get this resolved. Thanks.

In the example above, the serial number is PKCQHJGTH. 

View answer in context
Official Employee

Hutchinj wrote:

PKCQHJGTH

001BD7838EB9

4011354 OJ

04/23/2009

Glad to help and get your issue to the right teams. Please send me via PM (Private Message) some account information (name, address, phone number on your account) and I can look into this further so that we can get this resolved. Thanks.

In the example above, the serial number is PKCQHJGTH. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Visitor

Thanks. PM sent.

Appreciate the help!

Official Employee

Hutchinj wrote:

Thanks. PM sent.

Appreciate the help!

Got it and sent along to the cable card team. Thanks for your patience. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

Re: TIVO V58 Not Authorized error

On the working equipment in the bedroom take a look at the cable feeding it.  Believe it or not, this is the number one cause of equipment failing to activate.  

I bet you have the RG-6 cable in the bedroom, and an RG-56 on the equipment that is not working.  To test, swap the cable wires and reattempt the activation.  If this works, go to your local retail store and purchase an RG-6 Coax cable - I hope you can do this before the tech gets there.  It might cost you a on site fee.

Hope this helps!

Regular Visitor

I have some "fresh from the front line" info that may be helpful to one or more of you.  I am not a Comcast employee, but this is from the perspective of a new Tivo customer with about 10-14 hours into this issue in the past week. 

By virtue of participating on this forum I saw that ComcastTeds was helping people get their cablecard firmware updated, and he helped me get to the latest level also.  That solved part of my problem - I stopped getting the V58 error on random channels, including ESPN and Fox, and was then getting the message only on a limited set of channels (mostly movie channels - HBO, Starz, Showtime...).  I had a cable appointment today and my problem is now fixed.  Because I have so many personal hours into this problem I stayed right with him the whole time and he talked me through what he was doing to fix it.

The basic issue was that even though I went through the Tivo setup correctly, and was getting most of my channels, the cable card and the Tivo box were not sufficiently bound together.  This is needed to make sure people don't just take their cable cards out and share them with other users/boxes (my guess, anyway).  So the right terminology to use on the phone, assuming you can find someone who understands this terminology (not all Comcast support is created equal) is "I need help binding the cable card to the box".  Once that was done, I got all the missing channels that are part of my package on all of my Tivo boxes. 

For reference, I have a brand new Tivo Roamio Pro with 3 Tivo minis, and all are connected via ethernet cables for the Tivo network (in other words, I did not us MoCA for the network).

This forum was excellent! I had one Comcast support person changing my wireless settings, others incessantly pinging my cable card/Tivo boxes, neither of which did anything to fix my problems but all of which sucked up a large share of the afore mentioned 10-14 hours of startup.  So it's important to ask the question the right way, and if you do you should be able to get it fixed without an appointment at your house.  If the support person doesn't recognize the terminology above, ask for a Level 2 tech who does.  Of course you might have a different issue, but a lot of people's descriptions of their issues sound just like mine, so I'm guessing this will help one or more of you.

Thank you again ComcastTeds, because without your help I wouldn't have even been in the right ballpark!  Now I think I'm going to watch a movie!!

Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee

Thank you for your patience. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

i am having the same issue. can someone help?

Silver Problem Solver

If you are having the same issue, your card is not coded correctly to your account.

Call this number and have them re enter all the numbers from the card. Everything should be working before you hang up.

877-405-2298

Official Employee

fcp_147 wrote:

i am having the same issue. can someone help?

Apologies for the issue that you described above. In reviewing your account, it appears that this issue was recently resolved. If that is not the case, please let me know. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.