Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Suddenly SD Channel PQ on ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, plus 3 Locals Look Weird

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

Suddenly SD Channel PQ on ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, plus 3 Locals Look Weird

In the Portland, OR area about two days ago, with no changes of our DCX3400M or DCX3200M settings, our 720p Panny and the 1080p 24" Vizio started displaying the 5 major network plus 3 local channels in a weird fashion on SD (all the locals are also available in both SD and HD ... plus OTA).  No other SD Channels have been affected and I have the SD/HD Premiere Triple Play Bundle with lots of other SD Channels available for comparison.

Again, this recently happened only on those 8 SD channels through both our boxes.   The usual 4:3 picture is still there along with normal side and top bars, however the graphic content within the bars has been squished a bit and the people's heads are wider and the side logos are being cut off.

When I change default settings from our normal 16.9, Native (non-X1 still offers Native), 4:3 Overide Off and Stretched Graphics Disabled to virtually every other possible combination, it almost seems to me like it's PAL 575i being squished to fit NTSC 480i as an example regarding the extent of the distortion.

Suprisingly, I still use SD quite a bit (mostly for 30 min newscasts which I don't really view but rather listen while doing other tasks).   Has anyone else in the Portland, OR region noticed this recent SD issue?  Could someone in the same area kindly test-view those affected channels in SD for me (using a 16:9 HDTV)?   Thanks!

It's only affecting the major national networks ABC (2/702), CBS (6/706), NBC (8/708), PBS (10/710) FOX (12/712) plus 3 other local channels which also have HD and OTA signals.   Other minor local stations which do not have an HD version (like Community Access Stations) are not affectedNeither is SD affected from all the other national cable-only networks like POP (4/704), DSC (7/701), WGN (9/709), CNN (44/744) FoxNews (48/748), HBO (551/851), TV shopping channels, etc.

Just our Channels 2, 3 (a local), 5 (a local), 6 (CBS), 8 (NBC), 10 (PBS), 12 (FOX) and 13 (a local) .... also FWIW, none of their subchannels are affected.

I can't really use my OTA antenna to compare the affected channels, because the affected channels are transmitted OTA in HD and all look great on both our HDTVs.

Maybe Comcast is doing some work at their local Plant here and hopefully what we are seeing is only temporary?

Accepted Solution

Re: Suddenly SD Channel PQ on ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, plus 3 Locals Look Weird - Update

UPDATE:  As of 11:00pm PT Monday night all has returned to as it was before ..... the issue seems to have been resolved.

Thank you Comcast.

View answer in context
Regular Contributor

Re: Suddenly SD Channel PQ on ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, plus 3 Locals Look Weird - Update

UPDATE:  As of 11:00pm PT Monday night all has returned to as it was before ..... the issue seems to have been resolved.

Thank you Comcast.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 1 in conversation