New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Shows skipping/lagging, like watching on slow internet

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

Shows skipping/lagging, like watching on slow internet

Just a quick question about my problem.

I have had comcast since 2007 in my home.  Have a SA DVR in the family room and an SA HD box in the bedroom.  The DVR box is lagging/skipping.  Programs are unwatchable on HD channels and the regular non HD channels.  Watching on-demand, there is no problems.  Watching the same channels on both sets, the DVR skips, the HD non dvr box is fine.

Assume this is an issue with the SA DVR box?  Didn't know if it might be as simple as them resending the signal.  Also, when trying to change channels or bring up the guide, it's lagging, almost like a slow internet connection or laggy computer.

Since I never had issues before, though I would post here.  I am assuming the DVR box is going bad or something but wanted to know from the experts.

Thanks,

J.

Accepted Solution

Re: Shows skipping/lagging, like watching on slow internet

Just a follow up for future visitors to the board.  I continued to have major skipping over the past few days with the DVR box.  This morning, disconnected, exchanged it at the comcast office, and no more issues.  So seems like the skipping, freezing, lagging, etc was the cable box itself.  Just swapping it out fixed the issue.
View answer in context
Cable Expert

If this symptom is new, then it could be the DVR.  Swap for a new one if it's convenient.  You might also try tightening connectors.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply wareagle.

It's not every channel that does it, it's the strangest thing.  The HD channels skip more than the non hd channels.  Since it is the one box, I figured it was the box and not the service.  DVRed showes are completely unwatchable. 

Just checked all the connections, they are tight.  Unplugged for a few, didn't help.  Will trade it in when I have time later this week.

Again, thanks for the input.

Cable Expert

This sounds like a weak signal, which can affect only certain channels. Eliminate any unnecessary splitters. You may be able to improve the signal strength by adding a signal amplifier to the incoming cable line.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Only one splitter outside where line comes in from underground, splits into three.  Cable box that is lagging comes from the split, 10 feet of cable, its the closest to the line without the spliters.

Thanks

Regular Visitor

Just a follow up for future visitors to the board.  I continued to have major skipping over the past few days with the DVR box.  This morning, disconnected, exchanged it at the comcast office, and no more issues.  So seems like the skipping, freezing, lagging, etc was the cable box itself.  Just swapping it out fixed the issue.
Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation