Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Samsung UN65KS8000 with smart remote doesn't turn the Comcast RNG110 STB on and off?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 1 of 4

The Samsung "smart" remote for the UN65KS8000 TV can control the Comcast RNG110 STB perfectly once it's on, but cannot turn the STB on and off. There's a simple solution, just leave the STB on all the time, but I don't feel good about using electrical power that way.

Anyways, since the Samsung remote doesn't turn the STB on and off, I'm stuck with 2 remote controls. And the Comcast remote doesn't allow switching to the apps...so at this point I can't use just one remote. I haven't looked at the Logitec Harmony remotes yet, but I suspect that they won't go into the apps area for settings, source, Netflix, Amazon, etc. Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2 of 4

Initial research into Logitec Harmony remotes is promising...those remotes will control both the Comcast RNG110 and my Samsung TV.

I'd rather not go that way, though...I'm pretty sure the set up would be pretty interesting *smile*. I view this sort of thing as a last resort, hopefully there's another solution.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 3 of 4

Did you follow the set-up procedure in your Sumsung tv manual for setting up the remote?

I prefer to not let either remote control the other device. The mini remote works quite different than most remotes.

I don't see what's the big problem in using Comcast remote for cable functions, and Samsung remote for the television and it's apps.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 4 of 4

Thanks...well, you know, we do differ in opinion. For me, I'd rather keep track of and use a single remote for my TV. I know that my wife agrees on that one, it drives her crazy, which remote should she use for any given task? Why is the cable box still on when she walks away from the TV after turning it off? It may be fine for techies (although I'm one, and don't like to have to find another remote to turn off the TV and the STB, or just the STB ). But you have a different opinion, that's fine with me *smile*. Enjoy using two remotes *smile*.

Yes, I followed the Samsung set up instructions to the letter. There were on-screen instructions and instructions in the manual for the remote and Xfinity device setup, I did it all as I was instructed.