Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Requirements to run cable line from service pole to house?

New Poster

Requirements to run cable line from service pole to house?

I recently had a comcast technician come out to my new home to install cable in the house. We discovered that the house is not currently wired for cable nor does the line run from the service pole to the house. I was told that I would need to hire an electrician to run cable in the house and install cable jacks in the walls etc. and once that was completed Comcast could come back out and run the cable from the service pole to the house. 

Does this sound correct? Any similar experiences? 

I spoke to the electrican who said that he could install and run cable in the house but could not touch the cable on the service pole. I need to better understand what Comcast's requirements are prior to running cable from the service pole to my new home. What instructions can I provide the electrician so that when comcast comes back out the connecdtion can be completed? 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Requirements to run cable line from service pole to house?

once your cable is installed in the house, comcast will run a line from the pole to the house this is the demarcation point, the point where it comes into your home.   you will need to make sure there is a cable that the tech can connect to whereever that line is going to run to.

For example my line comes from pole to my home then it goes into the garage to a splitter and then its split from there to all the outlets in my house.   so figure where you want the inside line to meet the outside line. 

You could have comcast do it but you would get a much better cleaner job with an electrician.

The opinions expressed by me on this forum are mine only as a customer. I do not work for comcast nor do I represent them in any way.

New Poster

So if I hire an electrician, does he need to expose any line outside of my house or will Comcast bring the line into the house for the connection? 

I live in a solid brick house and am curious how they will run the line into the house, whoever does it. 

Silver Problem Solver

comcast will bring the line into the house.  I can only go by what I have in my house, I have a line that runs to the house and then goes into the gargage through the siding, from there I have a three way splitter that connects all the cables in the house.   I guess you need to decide where you want that demarc point to be in your house, mine follows the electrical line and they come in together.    The will need a big masonary drill to get through that.   I am sure others will give you other ideas here also.   So watch this post for more ideas.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation