members

online now

discussions

Recording Cancelled By The System

Posted by
Contributor

Message 151 of 322 (3,433 Views)

Re: Recording Cancelled By The System

I've had the Recoding Cancelled By The System & Fatal Hardware Error on my DVRs for years now.  Can't remember when specifically they started occuring but it seems like they increased more after I got my second DVR, a Motorolla DCX3416 (black) in Nov 2009.  My first DVR was installed January 2007.  It's a DCT6412(silver).  I think the black one has 250 GB and the silver one 120 GB.  I almost always record in HD.  Both DVRs dual tuner and are hooked up to Panasonic LCD tvs via HDMI cables.

I've been through the troubleshooting process and like everyone else, can't determine the cause, nor has it been fixed.

Are their other brands of DVRs Xfinity offers that DON'T have this issue?

Posted by
Edited on
‎04-12-2012 02:21 PM

Contributor

Message 152 of 322 (3,483 Views)

[ Edited ]

this happened again to me sunday night- ricky gervais show Life's too short season finale episode just didnt record. cancelled by the system! every other episode during the season recorded perfectly fine.

then again today before walking out to go food shopping i hit record on a show that was just starting, the recording started,it gave the dialog box Program has begun recording, so i left and when i came back home to watch the show was not on my dvr...looked it up in the history and it again had cancelled by the system!

this should not be happening for ANY REASON AT ALL no system,dvr or cable system should delete anything!

COMCAST FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!!

Posted by
Edited on
‎04-12-2012 05:51 PM

Service Expert

Message 153 of 322 (3,538 Views)

[ Edited ]

kc8oye wrote:

work for comcat in the Michigan area and have a customer with this issue now. I am trying to re-create the issue in the local office here to try and troubleshoot it with our engineering group. I have a theory that if the DVR is set to record only "new" episodes (my customer is) and the program is not listed as new in our guide even if it truly is new it will not record it. Just a theory though. Unfortunatly i have not been able to re-create it here. Every time i set a recording it records the program fine. Any specifics would be appreciated and maybe i can fix it or at least get people involved on it.

Thanks

That theory doesn't hold water with me. Some of the shows that I set up and get cancelled by the system are LISTED AS NEW. Others have been clearly labeled as REPEAT but those shows have been a rebroadcast of the ORIGINAL NEW SHOW (which was not recorded) a few hours later, which common practice on many networks. If I cannot record a new show on, for example Discovery ID at 9 pm Thursday (Sins and Secrets) due to recording 2 others at that time, I can set it up for 3 hours later at midnight. WHY are those repeated shows sometimes cancelled by the system? 

I started this thread in October 2010. Comcast KNOWS about this issue.  They know because of postings in this forum and from others who have called about it.

We have heard that others say Comcast will get the right people involved.

Comcast and the "right people" have NOT done anything to fix it.

If you can get the "right people" to fix it, more power to you.

Oh, btw, Comcast employees are not allowed to state or infer they are Comcast employees in the Help forums unless they have been approved by the forum administration to do so.

So far, the "right people" haven't done a thing.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 154 of 322 (3,547 Views)

I wouldn't mind watching OnDemand if they would let you FF.  Only a handful of channels are letting you FF when watching OnDemand.  The rest say you can't when you try.  

What the heck  are we paying for?

If it wasn't that I love Comcast for their internet access, I'd have gone to Dish a long time ago

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 155 of 322 (3,550 Views)

Swapping box doesnt help. Yes, missing shows is a bummed. We gave caught up by watching on demand or online. But not all programs are on either.
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 156 of 322 (3,574 Views)

Wow, it appears this has been a problem for quite some time.  I came on here looking for answers and it appears there aren't really any good ones....lol.

After doing what customer service told me to do, unplugging it to basically "clear out the memory" or whatever, that seems to fix the problem for only a couple of weeks, then my shows started getting canceled again.

So I did the same thing and unplugged it, and this time it didn't help.

There is no rhyme or reason to whatever the system decides to cancel on its own.

I didn't go back and read every post here, but I wonder if swapping out the box is the solution or if the folks who swapped out their boxes ended up no longer having this problem or not.

Pretty frustrating to miss a favorite show Smiley Sad

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 157 of 322 (3,588 Views)

Your theory about "new" programs" is unfortunately not true in my experience.  I have had multiple, but sporadic, occurrences when the recording is "cancelled by the system" (as shown in the DVR history) and the show does show in the description as new.  I have tried to find a commonality between the occurrences and haven't found one yet, although it does seem to happen more often when two shows are set to record at the same time.  That should not be a problem since the DVR is designed to record on two tuners.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 158 of 322 (3,597 Views)

I find it amusing also that it's easier to get something to record when you do it remotely from the MyDVR on the computer than when you're sitting right there.

However often I go to the MyDVR and all the shows that I have for that day to record do not show up on the computer listings.

DVRs are another good reason why we shouldn't build "intelligent"  robots to help humans.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 159 of 322 (3,602 Views)

On my Moto dvr, if I'm watching something, I hit the record button on the remote, although it seems like a few times inthe past that only started recording from that point on (which is sometimes what I want). Alternatively, I can do "info", and then press the record icon on that screen. But yeah, I don't 100% believe it'll do what I want.

BTW, this amused me - a couple of months ago, I was getting dvr messages (the ads where the message light comes on) to the effect of "never want to miss a recording, get a dvr". I thought that was pretty ironic

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 160 of 322 (3,607 Views)

I find if I want to record the program that's on right now, I have to first press the Cable button and then hold the REC button until the screen says Your Program is now Recording.

I also find that if i cancel an episode of a recurring program it shows as i canceled it and the next day it shows as not canceled. 

These DVR boxes do whatever they want.

Highlighted
Posted by
Visitor

Message 161 of 322 (3,613 Views)

I'm having this same problem.. except.. it effects me EVERYTIME I hit record on a program that's on right now.. it just won't record it.  it generally doesn't affect my schedule recordings...

i'm in michigan.. oddly enough the problems started after I moved the cable box to another room.  using RG-6 coax the whole run, but I did switch to using an HDMI cable instead of the component cables... 

My theory at this point is that comcast Does NOT want to fix this problem , nor will they fix it.  Comcast wants people to use on-demand.. not the DVR's. .that's why comcast offers such pathetic tiny little DVR's compared to Dish network and others...

------------------

work for comcat in the Michigan area and have a customer with this issue now. I am trying to re-create the issue in the local office here to try and troubleshoot it with our engineering group. I have a theory that if the DVR is set to record only "new" episodes (my customer is) and the program is not listed as new in our guide even if it truly is new it will not record it. Just a theory though. Unfortunatly i have not been able to re-create it here. Every time i set a recording it records the program fine. Any specifics would be appreciated and maybe i can fix it or at least get people involved on it.

Thanks

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 162 of 322 (3,777 Views)

Re: Recording Canceled By The System

That's sad. So in order to record anything, you have to sit by the TV and manually do it? I would definitely be requesting a refund or removal of fee for that DVR!! You shouldn't be charged for it.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 163 of 322 (3,797 Views)

It continues to happen to me occasionally, most recent was Tuesday 1/24/12 @ 8pm MST, when the DVR "decided" that I did not want to record 'Chopped'.  I no longer trust the DVR to record anything; if I am home at the time a recording is due to start, I check it to make sure it begins.  Pretty much defeats the purpose of setting up recordings ahead of time.  There is no discernable pattern to when the system decides to cancel a recording.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 164 of 322 (3,801 Views)

My latest: my Internet and phone keep dropping intermittently. Tech coming today. To keep this on topic: haven't had cancel problems in some time, BUT, latest is while watching a playback or live TV, the video freezes and only way to unfreeze is do an unplug reset . I try things so as to not have to unplug. Next time I am thinking of unplugging the HDMI cable to see if video resets that way . I am getting tired of Comcast problems. Just when you think things are finally getting better, something else starts up.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 165 of 322 (3,808 Views)

how many times have you gotten the canceled error message? 

Is it certain times or channels?   Comcast knows there is a problem.  I don't think that it's the boxes, I think it's a software problem.   I want to know why there is even an option for a program "being canceled by the system".  Who programmed that option in there?  Why don't they just delete it?

I guess this will be one of those problems.

My area rep told me that one of the engineers would call me back - good thing I didn't hold my breath because that was months ago.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 166 of 322 (3,822 Views)

*sigh* this is the problem I'm having as well..(DCT3416 I)...came here hoping to find answers....bummer.

What I don't understand is that there are a TON of threads regarding this problem (series recordings set are NOT recording for some unknown/unidentifiable reason), yet in not ONE of these threads have I seen a moderator respond, or anyone from Comcast acknowledge and/or address this issue.

HELLO COMCAST.......it seems you have MANY unhappy customers here! Does Comcast just NOT CARE??????

Ok, so, like other posters have said, it's possible they just don't know what the problem is, and as other posters have said, it's difficult to correct (or duplicate to correct) a software problem if it is not consistent.

SO, if comcast's only answer to this issue has been to reset or swap out your box with a new one, WHY haven't they taken ALL of these supposedly "defective" boxes, plug them in/hook 'em up and set recordings that THEY can monitor to try and identify the problem? DO they not have a signal to their own service anywhere?? Seriously, they should be collecting all these boxes that customers have turned in, specifically due to this problem, put them in a room with a few of their technicians and software designers and FIGURE IT OUT!

It's the LEAST they can do considering ALL the money they make off of US, their COMCAST customers!!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 167 of 322 (3,896 Views)

ohhhhh i didn't realize you had already checked and they only stock one type of box..........that's crazy!

and yes

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 168 of 322 (3,899 Views)

Bunella wrote:

You Manamok, you said your box didn't give you the option of DVR history. 

Perhaps you have an older box or you need to discuss changing it with Comcast rep.

Ah - now I get it.  I can't change out the boxes and get the history.  DVR history isn't available on Cisco boxes - and Cisco boxes are the only ones available to me in this area. 

Merry Xmas!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 169 of 322 (3,907 Views)

You Manamok, you said your box didn't give you the option of DVR history. 

Perhaps you have an older box or you need to discuss changing it with Comcast rep.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 170 of 322 (3,911 Views)

Bunella wrote:

Comcast.   That's who this forum is about.  

No - who are you telling to get their box changed out?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 171 of 322 (3,919 Views)

Comcast.   That's who this forum is about.  

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 172 of 322 (3,938 Views)

Bunella wrote:

call and get your box changed out

Who?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 173 of 322 (2,376 Views)

call and get your box changed out

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 174 of 322 (2,380 Views)

I don't have that - apparently a history isn't provided on the Cisco branded boxes.

Posted by
Edited on
‎12-24-2011 01:42 PM

Regular Contributor

Message 175 of 322 (2,388 Views)

[ Edited ]

manamok wrote:

mnllnm wrote:

I bet most people do not know when it happens to them. They most likely assume they did something wrong when they scheduled the recording. I bet most people rarely, if ever, look at DVR History.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have SA8300HD and RNG200N DVR's - how do I access the DVR History?

I have Motorola DCT and DCH DVRs. On mine I get to "DVR History" by selecting "Manage My DVR" on the top DVR menu.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 176 of 322 (2,395 Views)

mnllnm wrote:

I bet most people do not know when it happens to them. They most likely assume they did something wrong when they scheduled the recording. I bet most people rarely, if ever, look at DVR History.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have SA8300HD and RNG200N DVR's - how do I access the DVR History?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 177 of 322 (2,407 Views)

Queen-Evie wrote:

People have called and emailed Comcast about this issue. So they do know about it. They and the software developers have done nothing to fix it.

Which IMO is worse than the problem itself.

I suspect it happens more often than people realize. It happened to me at least a couple of times before
I investigated. I at first assumed I must have screwed something up when I scheduled the recordings. My first most noticeable clues were two football games that were cancelled on the same Sunday back-to-back.

Apparently Comcast will only fix this if/when it becomes a much more severe problem and/or more people start noticing it. That is why I tell everyone I meet who has a Comcast DVR about it and ask them if they have noticed it. Their eyes often get a bit wider and I can tell they are searching their memory, vaguely recalling something odd that happened where they assumed they must have screwed up.

Bad word of mouth may be the only thing that can get Comcast to move.

I stopped posting here about every occurance I experience. It seems a waste of my time.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 178 of 322 (2,420 Views)

I started this thread on 10-13-2010, a little over 14 months ago and it is still on-going.

People have called and emailed Comcast about this issue. So they do know about it. They and the software developers have done nothing to fix it.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 179 of 322 (2,428 Views)

Yes i did notice once before the programs recorded that we had 3 set up for the same time and mentioned this to my hubby because we know that when you actually try to do that, it pops up and tells you that you already have 2 shows recording.   Hmmmmmm.   We just deleted one program that was set to record but it wasn't a duplicate, it was actually 3 different programs all at the same time and yes I think it was 10 PM

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 180 of 322 (2,435 Views)

I wish it was a little easier to scan for this happening, like if they would use a different symbol in the history. I just went through my history looking for this, and found about a dozen occasions of it in the past month. For most of them, I hadn't noticed that they weren't recorded because I wasn't expecting them to be. They were all series recordings that had a conflict. Every one was the type of series that repeats multiple times throughout the day/night, so for the most part, I hadn't missed a particular show because it was picked up later. All but 2 were for 10 PM conflicts.

Now one thing I have been seeing a few times lately in the schedule recordings, is 3 shows scheduled for 10 PM, usually two of those incarnations are for the same channel. Like one show will be listed twice with a solid dot beside it, plus there will be another show on another channel with the solid dot. I wonder if, when the system sorts out that duplicity, it counts one of them as being canceled by system.

Since there is obviously a different flag or whatever associated with these cancellations, one would think that Comcast could poll the machines for this history to see how prevalent this problem is. If they were interested.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 181 of 322 (2,439 Views)

I believe I was one of the first people to post this problem.  I have been having it for 2 year on/off and my local comcast here in Pa. had no clue at first.   It was only after I spoke to the escalation people that they agreed there was a problem 

Unfortunately the guy I had been dealing with who actually cared AND had a brain is no longer in that dept. and his replacement is a head of lettuce who quotes whatever dialogue pops up on her screen.

Good luck if you find the problem, because you can go for months without it happening and then poof! there it is.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 182 of 322 (2,452 Views)

Months ago I submitted an email per the link mentioned in this thread and was contacted via phone by Escalations.  The rep sent a warm reset to my box (I asked her what it was), I power cycled, and the problem vanished for over two months.  I thought it was the cure, but now it has begun to happen again - every couple to few days (mine are mostly "Not recorded due to a fatal hardware error," but I have had "canceled by the system," too).  My box has also begun misbehaving - occasionally unable to rewind a live show, but a quick power cycle and once again I can.

After all the time I've wasted trouble shooting this - posting here - talking to tech support and Escalations,  shows still being missed - and with what I pay a month ($!!) for this waste land?  It has finally convinced me to turn in my DVR and try to live without cable TV.  I may get keep the most basic, bare minimum cable (local channels), or I may simply limit myself to what I can watch via Internet, but ........ I give up.  I'll probably try a different high speed Internet service, too, as I'll lose my "bundle" discount (thanks, Comcast.  That's how I'm treated even though I've been a Comcast customer all these years?)

I should probably read and play guitar more, anyway.  And what I'll save every month will be significant.

I quit.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 183 of 322 (2,475 Views)

If you can replicate the issue and get it to the proper people for a "cure" more power to you. The thing is that it is so hit or miss as to when it happens. I can go for 6 or 7 months without the issue, then one day it happens again.

I also googled and didn't find anything but questions about it. There are no answers.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 184 of 322 (2,482 Views)

No I have no idea about that. I am trying to work on this issue for a customer I have. I honestly came to this forum by simply “googling” the issue in hopes that I would find an answer for them since it is an error I have never seen or heard of before. I have no problem posting here “unofficially” just as a concerned fellow consumer. After all, I have this service too.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 185 of 322 (2,487 Views)

Commtech9501 wrote:

I work for comcat in the Michigan area and have a customer with this issue now. I am trying to re-create the issue in the local office here to try and troubleshoot it with our engineering group. I have a theory that if the DVR is set to record only "new" episodes (my customer is) and the program is not listed as new in our guide even if it truly is new it will not record it. Just a theory though. Unfortunatly i have not been able to re-create it here. Every time i set a recording it records the program fine. Any specifics would be appreciated and maybe i can fix it or at least get people involved on it.

Thanks

Newsflash!!!!  I do not have any series set up to record. Some things I record are listed as new, some as repeats, and some don't tell if if new or a repeat. I set up my recordings everyday by hitting record while looking at the listings.

Your theory may or may not hold water for series recordings.

Also, are you aware that the only Comcast employees who can post here in an OFFICIAL capacity must be given permission to do so by the forum administrator?  If approved their user name appears in RED with the title Official Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 186 of 322 (2,499 Views)

I must admit this is a crazy problem. It seems to me it must be software related. I have duplicated my customer’s recordings with the box in the office to see if it happens to both of us at the same time. At least, if it does, I can work with our Region’s engineering group on the error. I must admit today is the first time I have heard of this error but just “googling” it brought up several forums like this with people discussing the issue. None had an answer unfortunately but it seems to be widespread. So weird that I have never seen this at my house. I have the oldest version of DVR….but then again I only record a few shows a month…Has anyone seen this happen even with the option to record “every program including duplicates”?

Posted by
Edited on
‎12-22-2011 05:27 PM

Regular Contributor

Message 187 of 322 (2,505 Views)

[ Edited ]

Commtech9501 wrote:

I have a theory that if the DVR is set to record only "new" episodes (my customer is) and the program is not listed as new in our guide even if it truly is new it will not record it.

I can say unequivocally that I have experienced this problem under different conditions than the one you hypothesize. I've had scheduled recordings for movies and football games "cancelled by the system". I'd say almost everything I've had "cancelled by the system" was not set up as a series recording. They were shows I explicitly scheduled for recording.

Good luck trying to duplicate it. At least someone at Comcast is trying.

I would think that if the Comcast software/firmware development group found the code that generates the message and actually executes the cancellation and worked backwards they should be able to get some idea how this happens. My conclusion is they are not expending any resourses trying to find and resolve this problem. IOW, they are ignoring it.

That's Comcast's decision. However, I can assure you that whenever the subject of DVRs/Tivo comes up in conversation, I tell everyone about how a Comcast DVR can unexpectedly decide to not record something, all on its own. I tell them that Comcast knows about the problem, that Comcast apparently has no idea what causes it, and that Comcast's software people do not seem to be trying to solve the problem.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 188 of 322 (2,511 Views)

I work for comcat in the Michigan area and have a customer with this issue now. I am trying to re-create the issue in the local office here to try and troubleshoot it with our engineering group. I have a theory that if the DVR is set to record only "new" episodes (my customer is) and the program is not listed as new in our guide even if it truly is new it will not record it. Just a theory though. Unfortunatly i have not been able to re-create it here. Every time i set a recording it records the program fine. Any specifics would be appreciated and maybe i can fix it or at least get people involved on it.

Thanks

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 189 of 322 (2,587 Views)

i also found that in addition to the two programs i mentioned, I also lost a movie overnight on SHO

hoping that everything goes okay today with Live! and The View.  I have to go out shopping early and don't think I'll be back until after they both should record.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 190 of 322 (2,596 Views)

I just got yet another recording that is all black screen and no sound. It was a family Chanel movie.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 191 of 322 (2,610 Views)

hahahahaha  that's a good one, somebody who knows what's going on but she can't help.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 192 of 322 (2,616 Views)

I was speaking with Comcast recently regarding my promotions (the 6 months free HBO they gave me on signing up).  After concluding that business, the sales rep asked if there was anything else.  I called her attention to the 'cancelled by the system' problem.  She could not help (because she was in sales - recommended I have a tech come out), but she knew of the problem, because she experienced it herself!!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 193 of 322 (2,620 Views)

well now it seems my corporate contact left.  Since he had a brain I can only surmise he got a real job and now he's been replaced by a woman who tells me that the tech supervisor never heard of this problem.

I sent her an email with a link to this forum to send to the tech supervisor.  I told her he must have been living in a rabbit hole if he hasn't heard of it and she blah blah blah'd me with repeating the same things over and over like I need a tech visit to check the box. etc. 

to be continued............i'm sure.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 194 of 322 (2,630 Views)

Well it happened again today here in sunny Pa. 

I had programmed Live with Kelly and The View .  Now both are on recurring status, The View for a year at least and I just put Live with Kelly on recurring since it's a new program now.

Neither one recorded and the history says "canceled by the system".   I'm calling my contact again.

I am so annoyed  now.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 195 of 322 (2,676 Views)

it might be but it wouldn't help them

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 196 of 322 (2,679 Views)

I thought it was a dance...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 197 of 322 (2,683 Views)

it's a typo.............LOL   should have been electric toothbrush.  fingers got ahead of brain.

sorry!

Posted by
Edited on
‎11-14-2011 08:53 AM

Bronze Problem Solver

Message 198 of 322 (2,688 Views)

[ Edited ]

Bunella wrote:

someone is either hacking into comcast's software programs or they've hired some programmers who can't even use an electric toothpaste without it crashing.

What is an electric toothpaste?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 199 of 322 (2,693 Views)

that happened to us about two weeks ago when the cable sort of went out.   we had some channels and we could watch what was on our DVR already but anything set to tape during the hour the cable was out came out black and said over 500 minutes for a one hour program.

someone is either hacking into comcast's software programs or they've hired some programmers who can't even use an electric toothpaste without it crashing.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 200 of 322 (2,703 Views)

What happened today, that hasnt in a while: recorded a show , went to watch it, it's just a black screen, and plays the black screen for 5 min. then freezes.