Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: DRM Locked channels with cable card

Regular Visitor

Hi. I stumbled across this thread while trying to research why I can no longer view HBO or other premiums on my HDHomeRun any more (even though I am a subscriber). This worked for the past few months when I first signed on with comcast.

Is it possible to request the same commands to be sent? Let me know what is needed?

hdhomerun_avc_drm.jpg
Official Employee

Wgalway wrote:

Hi. I stumbled across this thread while trying to research why I can no longer view HBO or other premiums on my HDHomeRun any more (even though I am a subscriber). This worked for the past few months when I first signed on with comcast.

Is it possible to request the same commands to be sent? Let me know what is needed?

Apologies. I have sent some signals to your cable card that have been known to resolve this issue in most cases. Please let me know how things are now. It may take some time for the guide data to reload. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee
Moved:

Regular Visitor

Hi- Sorry this has been several months. I kinda just forgot about it, as we watch most of our premium's via their respective apps.

We tried watching Game of Thrones via our Cablecard the other night- and it looks like the content is still DRM protected. 

See attached screenshots showing my Plex + HDHomerun seeing only protected for those Premiums still.

Anything else that can be tweaked to make this work?

Thanks!

Will

hdhomerun_protected.jpg
plex_showing_protected.jpg
Official Employee

Hi Will, thank you for replying here and apologies the issue still persists.  What software are you using to view your HDHomerunprime?

Thank you

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I'm having the same issue with HDHomerun Prime and DRM channels.  What's the fix?

Frequent Visitor

I too have run across this issue. 

Regular Visitor

Hi Phil-

Sorry for the delayed response, I must not have had my notifcations on here.

To keep things simple, I was just browsing using the HDHomeRun software on my Mac (I get an "unable to view channel" message). All of the other channels are ok and play just fine, except for the ones I mentioned in my original post (the Premiums).

These also aren't viewable using apps on my Plex, nor the Channels App on my AppleTV.

But again- if not working on HDHomeRun app- I wouldn't expect the others to work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Will

hd_homerun_app.jpg
Regular Visitor

Hi- just checking back in to see if there are any solutions to this. Since we have a cable card from Comcast (and pay for the full subscription) we should be able to view these premium channels live.

Please let me know. 

Regards,

WIll

Regular Visitor

Same problem here with same software. Mac and Apple TV.

Official Employee

@Wgalway wrote:

Hi- just checking back in to see if there are any solutions to this. Since we have a cable card from Comcast (and pay for the full subscription) we should be able to view these premium channels live.

Please let me know. 

Regards,

WIll

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.

Unfortunately, Kodi/XBMC does not support DRM protected channels. Channels that are copy protected by the cable provider (indicated by the DRM mark) can only be accessed by hardware/software that supports industry-approved protection, which basically means a PC running Windows Media Center, a media center extender linked to such a PC, a Playstation 3, or our HDHomeRun VIEW app for Android. Other hardware/software that does not support protection (including most DLNA device, QuickTV, XBMC, VLC, etc.) can only access the unprotected channels.

This could also be an example of “working as intended” if you are using PLEX as a platform to avenue the content from Silicon Dust HD Home Run Prime. And because of the recent update for Windows, Windows Media Center is no longer available; which was a primary platform for HD Home Run Prime. Some users have been looking for alternative methods/devices.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@Mike433l wrote:

Same problem here with same software. Mac and Apple TV.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.

Unfortunately, Kodi/XBMC does not support DRM protected channels. Channels that are copy protected by the cable provider (indicated by the DRM mark) can only be accessed by hardware/software that supports industry-approved protection, which basically means a PC running Windows Media Center, a media center extender linked to such a PC, a Playstation 3, or our HDHomeRun VIEW app for Android. Other hardware/software that does not support protection (including most DLNA device, QuickTV, XBMC, VLC, etc.) can only access the unprotected channels.

This could also be an example of “working as intended” if you are using PLEX as a platform to avenue the content from Silicon Dust HD Home Run Prime. And because of the recent update for Windows, Windows Media Center is no longer available; which was a primary platform for HD Home Run Prime. Some users have been looking for alternative methods/devices.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation