New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Pixelating on 3 channels

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Pixelating on 3 channels

This is a strange problem. We have 3 sets, 2 HDTV and 1 analog TV. The HDTVs are new as are the 2 HD boxes (RNG110s). All the HD channels come in fine on both HDTVs except 3: CBS Sports (854) which is so pixelated as to be unwatchable, Outdoor Channel (864) much pixelation in the morning, but clears up by 4 in the afternoon and finally Showtime HD (339) which was heavily pixelated at 10 this morning, but is fine now at 3:53 p.m. They re-sent signals this morning to the boxes when I called, but since it is both TVs in 2 separate locations with 2 different boxes and coax cables I'm assuming the problem is signal related, i.e., either deteriorated fittings or cables outside the house or somewhere in the headend? The lady at Comcast was explaining that these signals are transmitted partly by satellite. Would that explain the morning signal loss followed by a good signal in the afternoon? I'm going to replace the inside coax, but I'm assuming the next step would be to have Comcast do an onsite visit? The cable infrastructure in this area is 25+ years old.

Accepted Solution

Re: Pixelating on 3 channels

You would be correct on all counts.  I had pixelation on just one channel only and I needed a new line to the house, fixed. 

View answer in context
Silver Problem Solver

You would be correct on all counts.  I had pixelation on just one channel only and I needed a new line to the house, fixed. 

Frequent Visitor

Well, this story has a happy ending believe it or not. I had a tech come out yesterday and replaced splitters both in my room and at the back of the house. We even switched out the STB, but the pixelated channels were still there. He called and not one, but 2 supervisors showed up, took additional meter readings and realized that the signal-to-noise ratio was low for some of the channels. They vowed to fix the problem and indeed worked long after dark and were back on the street this morning.I stopped out just as they were about to leave the area and they said the problem was fixed. Skeptical, I went back to the house, turned on my TV and now can get all channels crystal clear with no pixelization and even some I didn't know about, because they always said "available shortly" and I assumed I was not authorized them. So, thanks Comcast for fixing my problem.

New Poster

Re: Pixelating on 3 channels. Now " No CBS sports".

I am missing only one channel, which I really want, CBS SPORTS. Both the SD ans HD channels say: "available shortly" . After 6 hours on the phone with Comcast about this and other problems only this problem remans. The answer from the local Comcast store is replace e set top box. Comcast central says that won't help. They will work n this. Anyone else have this problem cured without requiring rewiring?