Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Pace RNG110 Won't Power Up

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Pace RNG110 Won't Power Up

Pace RNG110  will not power on.  I have activated online.  All connections are correct including power, signal, etc; ALL are correct.  Remote control is working as it works all features on my RCA television.  This is three days now.   Please resolve my issue.  Comcast online Chat is not an option for me because the Babblefish translater your Help Desk chat people use in India loses too much in translation; plus I don't have 75 mins to spend on getting this resolved.

Accepted Solution

Re: Pace RNG110 Won't Power Up

I have resolved my issue.  Before giving up for the night on getting the Comcast remote control to turn on the Pace STB,  I decided to attempt to reprogram the remote control.  I first unlocked the cable setup code:

1) Press Setup until 2 blinks
2) Enter 982

The remote should blink 4 times. If it blinks twice, repeat steps 1 and 2.
Then I  assigned code 01982 to the Cable button:
2) Enter 01982
The remote should blink twice.

After doing this I was able to turn on the Pace STB using the remote.

Best regards,

Les Miles

View answer in context
Cable Expert

If it died, then take the box, power supply and remote to your local Comcast office for a swap.  If would be easier than trying to get a tech out to swap it out.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

did not die.  it is brand new.  it power cycles properly at boot.

Frequent Visitor

apologies.  i previously created an excellent post with detailed information on all my equipment, connections, model numbers of set top box, tv, incoming signals, existing service, service being upgraded to....etc.  but the forum site returned an error and although i DID copy my post before hitting POST the page will not allow pasting of text into the body of the post window.

Frequent Visitor

remote works and its batteries are new.  it actually works all features on my television perfectly.  all connections are correct.  trust me when i say everything connection wise is correct.  set top box is brand new.  the guy at the comcast service center said the box has to be activated before the remote will power it on.  my account page at comcast dot net says it is activated.  the only light on the set top box on is the "data" light.

Silver Problem Solver

First you said the box will not power on, then you said it power cycles at boot. Which is it?

If the box will not power on at all, it is a bad box, or incorrect power adaptor.

What the comcast rep told you is wrong, you do not need to be activated for the remote to turn on the box.

If the box powers on, and you do not get a signal, it needs to be activated.

Regular Visitor

Maybe I could jump in here, because it sounds as though Les and I are having the exact same problem.

Pace RNG110 seems to power cycle when I plug it in -- all the lights flash repeatedly on the front face.

Then, all the lights go out except the green "power" light, which should mean that the unit is on. 

My television, at this point, recognizes a connection to something at 1080i.  And my xfinity remote successfully controls the TV.

But the remote does absolutely NOTHING to the RNG110 box.  No reponse.  No lights.  Nothing.

So what I have currently, in terms of comcast hdtv service, is a black screen.

Any suggestions?

Frequent Visitor

Barbie.  Your attempt to help troubleshoot my issue is greatly appreciated. As I noted earlier in the thread I originally spent a considerable amount of effort and time creating a detailed post which included all the facts of the case. A post that was wiped from the text window by a forum server page error when I clicked the “POST” radio button. A post that nontheless I had the foresight to copy to my Windows clipboard only to be denied pasting priviledges in the forum text window at which point I simply did not have the time nor patience to recreate. So, again, thanks for your assistance. I will attempt to address your questions and suggestions one at a time:

<i>First you said the box will not power on, then you said it power cycles at boot. Which is it? </i>

A: Actually it is both.  The only way to turn the box on is by using the remote control as there are no controls on the device, and the box will not power on via the remote control.  When the device is plugged in to a power source it goes through what appears to be an initializing process then all wstatus lights go off. If the incoming Comcast RG6 Quad bypasses the splitter for the modem and is connected directly to the STB the “Data” light is on and amber but the remote still does not turn the box on. If the incoming signal <b>is</b> split to the modem and the STB that data light does not light after initialilzation.

<i>If the box will not power on at all, it is a bad box, or incorrect power adaptor. </i>

A: Almost completely correct barbie. But, since per your comments, we are being literal here then it could be (1) the wall outlet is switched and that switch is set to “off” (2) the power adaptor is plugged in to a power strip that is switched “off” or (3) that power strip is bad or (4) the circuit breaker on that power strip is tripped and needs to be reset or (5) the circuit breaker for the wall outlet is tripped at the breaker box.

The power adaptor model was checked against the STB User Manual before leaving the Comcast office and confirmed as being the correct device. Additionally, the output voltage of the power adaptor was confirmed as correct using a digital multi-meter.

<i>What the comcast rep told you is wrong, you do not need to be activated for the remote to turn on the box. </i>

A: If the STB does not need to be activated for the remote to turn on the box I have reached an entirely new level of contempt for Comcast. An <b>elevated level of contempt and repulsion</b> I could never imagine possible because the Comcast Representative specifically said the STB <i>“can’t be turned on unless it is activated”</i> noting this as a feature essentially protecting Comcast’s service from theft as any unauthorized STB simply will not work.

<i>If the box powers on, and you do not get a signal, it needs to be activated. </i>

A: Since you note the STB does not need to be activated for the remote to turn it on and taking into account the remote will not turn the box on, presence of a signal or activation is moot at this point.

I have reached out to the Comcast Account rep assigned to my community and this case has been elevated to the local support Technician. Thank you for helping sort out the misinformation provided by the Comast Service Center representative.

Best regards,

Les Miles

GEAUX TIGERS!

New Poster

I have the same issue. Comcast tried to have me troubleshoot by reading off a script doing things that were obviously a waste of time when I know it is an issue with the box. Very frustrating that they won't admit there is an issue. I was told to swap the box for a new one, but I think I may end up cancelling my service. Too many issues, too few solutions, and too expensive.

Frequent Visitor

mattfitt,

You and I ARE experiencing the exact same issue; to a word.   Carefully taking into consideration Barbie123's comments I have rejected the telephone Help Desk Technician's request to dispatch a local support Tech to my site at my expense. 

This issue could have been avoided if proper instructions had been provided to me by Comcast and I will not be held financially responsible for Comcast's failure to properly train its Service Center representatives and telephone Help Desk agents. 

This is what I am doing.  Tomorrow I will copy this thread to my Account representative.  He will then have the required information to  take appropriate action for resolving this issue.  I have been very clear that I will not pay any charges for the resolution of this issue.   

When this has been fixed I will return to this thread and post details on the fix for you.

Best regards,

Les Miles

Geaux Tigers!

lassiez les bon temps roulez!

Frequent Visitor

I have resolved my issue.  Before giving up for the night on getting the Comcast remote control to turn on the Pace STB,  I decided to attempt to reprogram the remote control.  I first unlocked the cable setup code:

2) Enter 982

The remote should blink 4 times. If it blinks twice, repeat steps 1 and 2.
Then I  assigned code 01982 to the Cable button:
2) Enter 01982
The remote should blink twice.

After doing this I was able to turn on the Pace STB using the remote.

Best regards,

Les Miles

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation