Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

No Sound from Motorola DVR

Frequent Visitor

No Sound from Motorola DVR

yesterday I unplugged everything to move my TV and when I plugged everything back together I get no sound from my Comcast DVR. I know its not the TV because a ran my audio to my blueray input and I dont get sound there either.

Something happened to the box or the box settings after unplugging and plugging it back in.

I am hooked upusing composite not HDMI BTW. Never could get the HDMI to work coming from the box.

Any help?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: No Sound from Motorola DVR

Ok you say you ran the blu ray and get no sound either, so you have no sound from the box or the blue ray, how is that not the TV?  That being the case make sure you have the red and white cables on the out of the box to the correct input on your tv.  What box do you have and what are your audio settings, make sure the volume on your tv and box are turned up.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry. What I meant to say was I ran the sound to my bluray and I get no sound from the bluray when I set the audio out to the "audio" input, which is what I plugged the DVR into.

In other words the DVR sound "out" is producing no signal.

Silver Problem Solver

wow thats confusing.  Lets try this.  What box do you have?  How do you have it hooked to the TV?  some basics I think would be best.

Frequent Visitor

Sure. Its the Motorola dual tuner DVR. Not sure the model number. Coax coming into the box and composit cables going to the tv. That is the 3 video cables and the red - white audio cables. I also have a Sony bluray home theatre connected to the tv via HDMI with an optical audio cable running from the tv back to the blueray.

DVR looks just like this.

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Learn/DigitalCable/DVR.html

Silver Problem Solver

Ok and you said you have picture but no sound correct?  Make sure the red and white are an the audio out on the box and on the audio in on the tv for the input that component is connected to.  check you audio settings in the box.  set it to tv speakers and then set to advanced matrix heavy.  Make sure your tv volume is up,  Have you tried the blue ray connection to the tv to see if there is sound from the blue ray.

Frequent Visitor

Cables are connected correctly. Bluray sound is fine on the TV.

Not sure how to access those settings on the DVR.

Weird that this happened all of a sudden. Working fine at 5:00 and not at 7:00 after unplugging and moving TV...

Silver Problem Solver

press your menu button twice to go to the menu, go to audio settings and then set up what I previously said in there.  If that does not try to take the hdmi cable off the blue ray and hook that from the box to the tv and if that works you know your cables are either bad or not hooked up properly.

Frequent Visitor

I will try those settings when I get home. The cables are fine. I have 2 sets and nothing from both.

The HDMI from the DVR never worked, thats why I used the composite cables.

Thanks for ALL your help. I am sure some setting got messed up somehow. If your suggestions do not work maybe I should exchange the box.

Cable Expert

smetana1986

If you have a HD DVR and a HDTV, you should be using component cables red/green/blue for video and red/white for audio.  Using composite yellow plus red/white for audio is not getting you HD picture quality to your HDTV at 1080I or 720P, instead you are getting 480I SD video using composite yellow video cable.

You are not getting HD pictures to your HDTV using composite yellow video cable.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

I am experiancing this exact same problem for the 2nd time.  1st time tech was out and said it is due to a weak or loss of the signal, causes the sound to unsync or something like that. 

Both times (1st-April, 2nd last night) there was wind.  I am 100% convinced that the problem is due to either storms blowing the line outside, or a temp power loss throwing off the signal.

I run both Motorola Dual Tuner DVR (the black one) and a PS3 into a reciever via HDMI, then to TV via HDMI.  Playstation not affected either time.  Have switched HDMI ports on DVR and PS3.  PS3 still has sound, DVR does NOT.

Don't know if me fiddling with power, cords, etc or Comcast resetting something affected anything, but I had sound today.  Called local corp. office to tell them my suspicions of problem being with cable from main line into house.  Will see if anything ever becomes of this.  Frankly, too many problems in the past year, for what Comcast charges, there is no excuse.  If I am going to lose my cable when the wind blows, why not just get a Dish?  Several e-mails, v/mails, and a posting on here and my only contact with Comcast is ME calling THEM.  Typical.....

Silver Problem Solver

what do you have your sound settings set to in the guide menu?   Have you tried component cables from the box to the tv to see if your sound comes back?

Frequent Visitor

I am using the 3 (red-green-blue) not the yellow. I said composite but I meant component...

Frequent Visitor

Dude. Last night we had a huge storm come through here. 80mph winds 3 miles away (wheeling, IL)

I don't think this was the issue though because the problem started before the storm.

Silver Problem Solver

have you tried any of the volume settings I suggested or changed your component to hdmi to see if any of this does anything.

Contributor

Addison, IL here.  My sound disappeared shortly after the Emergancy Broadcast about a possible tornado.  I shut everything down for about an hour, but the winds were pretty strong even before the storm hit in force.

I had the same issue in April, and went and found the weather from the day I lost sound then.  "Possible Severe T-storms".  Same issue twice, same weather.  I'm guessing it's the line getting blown, causing loss or weakening of the signal.

Supposedly have a line tech coming to check this evening.  We'll see what he finds.  Local Corp. rep said the tests they ran show a weak signal.  After having techs out so many times though, shouldn't this have been found and fixed already?

Just typed "no sound from comcast box" into Google, About 6,880,000 results.  I can't imagine that comcast isn't aware of this issue.  If 1/10th of 1% of those results relate to this issue, that is still 68k pings on this problem.  They have had to have had at least several thousand people complain about this exact issue.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry I did not respond last night at all. Took me forever to get home due to all the traffic signals being out etc. Anyway, I plugged everything back in when I got home. Turned everything on and of course the sound worked.

Who the heck knows what the deal was.

Anyway. Thanks for all your help.

Contributor

Had 3 Comcast (NOT contractor) techs out yesterday evening, plus they had someone up checking the line earlier.  My sound had returned sometime in the day (I checked on my lunch), but they still tested everything.  Said there was a problem in the main line that they had fixed.  They added an enclosed box outside for the fittings into the house.  They also check my coax inside for signals, found a weak signal at least for my cable.  Changed a few things, sound still on yesterday.  We'll see if this works.  I would recommend calling Comcast and requesting actual Comcast tech, who apparently are paid hourly, not by the job, and will take the time to find the issue.

Silver Problem Solver

that is always the best advice.  Unfortunately not all tech's would do what you had done.  

New Poster

THANKS!  This resetting the matrix, heavy etc worked brilliantly.  My dvr froze up and had to pull the power from the outlet.  When I plugged it back in no sound.  Called comcast tech support and no answer.  SOLVED HERE-in time for NFL playoffs.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation