New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Re: New Scientific Atlanta On-Screen Program Guide

You can set it so you see 5 lines (under the setup option) at a time but thats it.  That ad at the bottom drives me crazy.

Frequent Visitor

Problem Solver

Joanneeck wrote:

We just received the new program guide.  I realize that it may take some getting used to and am trying to reserve judgment, but so far, I am most definitely not a fan.  The new guide shows only four horizontal lines at a time on half the screen.  Is there any way to change that?  I have a 55" television, and each of those four lines looks about three inches high, and I can only see one hour without scrolling left or right. It just looks strange.

The text size cannot be modified but you can modify the listings grid to show 5 channels at one time (the same as the previous guide). Press the Menu button on your Comcast silver remote control twice, choose Set Up from the on-screen menu, then Guide Set Up, scroll down to the Grid Cell Height option and change Double Height (the default) to Single Height.

Problem Solver

Joanneeck wrote:

We just received the new program guide.  I realize that it may take some getting used to and am trying to reserve judgment, but so far, I am most definitely not a fan.  The new guide shows only four horizontal lines at a time on half the screen.  Is there any way to change that?  I have a 55" television, and each of those four lines looks about three inches high, and I can only see one hour without scrolling left or right. It just looks strange.

and use the Red C button (Day plus) to move ahead in the guide grid by day.  

Regular Visitor

Thanks.  Five lines is better than four, but I'm still not exactly overjoyed with this change.

Frequent Visitor

Well as far as leaving comcast, I've seen verizon's guide and it aint much better.  The problem is that we got used to the SA menu and features which were far better than what the Moto offered.  That "Copy to VCR" function would have kept me a Comcast customer for life.  I guess they don't care if they tick off 20% of their customer base.  I'll never understand it. 

Frequent Visitor

5 Lines may be better.. but IMHO it makes it harder to figure out what's on.   There aren't that many used characters in a half-hour show listing (not all the space is used).  I also miss the "<<" characters that told you when a show started earlier.

Frequent Visitor

@billf3805
I've been trying for days to post my thoughts there and they never posted. My post are inflammatory nor do I break any of the rules are used mobile ready they just don't like what I'm saying so they don't post it.
Frequent Visitor

My mistake ment to say my post are not inflammatory
Frequent Visitor

@comcaststeve.
Why the ad on the bottom, on the blog for the new menu comcast dances around but does not answer it.
the ad should go should not be thereno if no and no but no maybe.
Does comcast owns the guide program? If so then why can't you get rid of the ad? Again on the blog I've tried several times unsuccessfully to post this very question and the moderator will not post it.
Problem Solver

_none_ wrote:
@comcaststeve.
Why the ad on the bottom, on the blog for the new menu comcast dances around but does not answer it.
Does comcast owns the guide program? If so then why can't you get rid of the ad? Again on the blog I've tried several times unsuccessfully to post this very question and the moderator will not post it.

strange. it seems that the comcast blog may not be updating.

I have seen the ad issue addressed before, below is cut and pasted from a June 8 comment-response

ADS IN THE GUIDE GRID
The banner ads that are displayed at the bottom of each page in the guide grid are all related to TV content and are designed to aid in discovery and awareness of additional content available to you; some of the On Demand content advertised is already included with your current subscription package (at no additional cost).

The current agreement that we have is that all of the on-screen ads in the guide grid are to be for TV-related content and not for other consumer products or services.

Currently, there is no option available to turn off the ads from appearing in the guide grid. In future versions of the guide, the ads are much less intrusive.

Something that you may have already discovered (and a tip I will share for others) is that you are able to skip through the ads in the guide (as in not land on them) by using the Page Up or Page Down key on your remote control while browsing the TV listings grid.

Frequent Visitor

Amen, ajcstr!

We can't get fios or uverse here, so how is TIVO?

Problem Solver

ajcstr wrote:

Well as far as leaving comcast, I've seen verizon's guide and it aint much better.  The problem is that we got used to the SA menu and features which were far better than what the Moto offered.  That "Copy to VCR" function would have kept me a Comcast customer for life.  I guess they don't care if they tick off 20% of their customer base.  I'll never understand it. 

I don't think 20% of the comcast subscriber base even has a VCR. My guess.

Cable Expert

khd wrote:

Amen, ajcstr!

Tivo's are really great, but loaded with ads, even when you pause the show.  I just paused live TV and there's an ad for $1 off Bounty Paper Towels.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

This downgrade sux, as soon as uverse is available in my area, buh bye comcast.

Contributor

Outside of general unhappimess with the new program guide, I have a specific problem.  When I go to the list of programs on my DVR and I scroll through, if I get to the last program on the list and click the "down" arrow one more time, the whole thing freezes.  I can't get out of the program menu, i can't play a recorded program, I can't even turn it off.  Ditto if I go to the top of the list and press the "up" arrow one more time.  A couple of calls to Comcast has restored TV functionality but no one has explained why this is happening and whther it's permanent.  Also one rep promised to send me an e-mail that might explain what's gfoing on but never did.

This whole thing is reminiscent of the DumbCommunications e-mail platform Comcast sprang on us a couple of years ago.  I switched to Thunderbird because Comcast was so screwed up.  I don't have that option for TV, where the only other choice is Verizon, which has an even worse customer service record.

Mike

Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue when scrolling through the DVR recordings.  If I go to fast it freezes.  If I go to the by channel or by title views it seem to happen when I get to the bottom of the list.  Then I have to umplug the box and reboot it.  If I stick to the date view and move slowly, I have not had the problem.  If you get a solution please post it.

Frequent Visitor

tedtv wrote:

I don't think 20% of the comcast subscriber base even has a VCR. My guess.

No, but I use a DVD recorder to archive recordings I want to keep.  By 20%, I mean the 20% of us that have the SA boxes rather than the Motorola.  I know some SA people are upset about losing the PIP and the "record this show this day this time" feature.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info. That's something I didn't know.

JayInAlg wrote:

khd wrote:

Amen, ajcstr!

Tivo's are really great, but loaded with ads, even when you pause the show.  I just paused live TV and there's an ad for $1 off Bounty Paper Towels.

Regular Visitor

Just thought I would point out that you can bring up the flip guide by pressing OK. Only three channels listed at a time, but it takes up less screen space and there are no ads.

tedtv wrote:

_none_ wrote:
@comcaststeve.

strange. it seems that the comcast blog may not be updating.

I have seen the ad issue addressed before, below is cut and pasted from a June 8 comment-response

ADS IN THE GUIDE GRID
The banner ads that are displayed at the bottom of each page in the guide grid are all related to TV content and are designed to aid in discovery and awareness of additional content available to you; some of the On Demand content advertised is already included with your current subscription package (at no additional cost).

The current agreement that we have is that all of the on-screen ads in the guide grid are to be for TV-related content and not for other consumer products or services.

Currently, there is no option available to turn off the ads from appearing in the guide grid. In future versions of the guide, the ads are much less intrusive.

Something that you may have already discovered (and a tip I will share for others) is that you are able to skip through the ads in the guide (as in not land on them) by using the Page Up or Page Down key on your remote control while browsing the TV listings grid.

New Poster

Unhappy with new xfinity. Anyone else?

SInce Comcast has changed the format, the guide is much more difficult to read because of the colors and the busy background, you have to run through annoying advertisements, you can't go back to see what was on before, and I'm sure there are also other issues that have come up. ALso the cable seems to go out more, especially at the perfect moment I am trying to watch the punchline of a joke. I'm not just one who hates changes but this new format seems like a downgrade. Just venting in hopes others may agree and they may make changes.

Regular Visitor

Re: Unhappy with new xfinity. Anyone else?

I'm in NJ where the new guide was just released.  This is the same guide I've had in Florida for the last two years. I hated it down there.  I can't believe it's now being forced on me in NJ. No PIP!!!  I use PIP when watching football games.  It's fantastic.  Comcast, by taking away functionality, I am requesting a lower fee for the use of the box.  I hope someone starts a class action.

Frequent Visitor

@Tedtv. I have to estes you state that.
"The current agreement" that the ads would only be about content.
Who did comcast make this agreement with?
Did comcast enter a contract with an outside company that they are now forced to show these ads?
If comcast has not made a contract with an outside company then comcast is forcing these ads on your customers.
now as far as being tv related or content related the other night I seen a add for radio shack how does that equate into this supposedly ad stipulation of being for tv?
now that I have used it for a couple of days I would like to see a couple of changes
1 obviously the ad go or at least have the option of making it disappear again should not be there I cannot stress that more than enough.
2 under subtitle set up there is no option to show subtitles when you press the mute button. There used to be under the old guide.
3 when you bring up the guide it does not automatically disappear after a few seconds that is a very problematic situation can and will cause burn in n a lot of tv's especially in plasma tvs they are particularly susceptible to that problem. The old menu system would disappear after a reasonable amount of time off in activity.
4 a search system just for on demand shows there is a lot of contents that most people or unaware of, also I've seen on numerous occasions a particular movie that you have to pay 4 in 1 area and it would be free in another area so customers are being charged needlessly.

In closing the menu system does need work, I understand that comcast wants to have one system but that program can be made to query the boxes for their capabilities obviously scientific atlanta boxes have more capabilities then the motorola boxes, comcast should want to use n make use of those capabilities.
1 last thing again who did comcast make the agreement to about the ads.....
Frequent Visitor

Adding one more requst
5 bring back picture in a picture for the boxes that have that capability.

In closing, comcast is making immense strides to improve it's public image, your spending millions of dollars in tv commercials and ads. Yet you still ignore simple basic requests. If contest truly wants to change the way customers perceive them. Then the issues that your customers are apparently having should an must be addressed. Now my biggest issue is the ad, let's forget that. I want to address picture in a picture. I've never even used that capability I find no interesting that. Comcast is just totally dismissing those customers who are requesting this, you want as far as to say that comcast knows it will lose customers over this. That goes against everything comcast is avertizing on improving their customer image. Comcast is avertizing that they want to listen but you want to pick and choose on what and who you want to listen to. How is that improving your image.
thanks for listening,
Frequent Visitor

I found another querk with the new guide. Every once in awhile when tune to a station that is part of my package, the new guide tells me that I don't have this station if I wanted to call comcast. I tune to a different station and then back to that station and low and behold this station is there. Now I do realize this is only a minor mishap, unless I'm not home and I'm trying to record that station. But in all fairness the old guide did not do that. Perhaps comcast can look into this issue also. I have been beta testing numrous programs for years, comcast new guide for all intensive purposes looks feels and acts like a beta. Yes I understand in the future it might be better. We have to deal with it now. Comcast should roll back to the old guide until they get the bugs straightened out. Now as far as the new and improved services that will be coming in the future well I don't have them yet anyway so I'm not missing them but I am missing the old guide. Hey I have a great idea how about giving us back the old guide and when you get around to giving us the new services then you give us the new guide thought there comcast I know you're really not listening......
New Poster

Do they have a real interest in what their customers think?  NO. Will they take positive steps to prevent a mass migration to other service providers? In many markets Comcast has a monopoly on cable service, so NO.

Problem Solver

it sounds as though there may be some fixes and new features starting to roll out in about a month.

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html

_none_ wrote:
I found another querk with the new guide. Every once in awhile when tune to a station that is part of my package, the new guide tells me that I don't have this station if I wanted to call comcast. I tune to a different station and then back to that station and low and behold this station is there. Now I do realize this is only a minor mishap, unless I'm not home and I'm trying to record that station. But in all fairness the old guide did not do that. Perhaps comcast can look into this issue also. I have been beta testing numrous programs for years, comcast new guide for all intensive purposes looks feels and acts like a beta. Yes I understand in the future it might be better. We have to deal with it now. Comcast should roll back to the old guide until they get the bugs straightened out. Now as far as the new and improved services that will be coming in the future well I don't have them yet anyway so I'm not missing them but I am missing the old guide. Hey I have a great idea how about giving us back the old guide and when you get around to giving us the new services then you give us the new guide thought there comcast I know you're really not listening......

Frequent Visitor

Just an update on the AD at the bottomed of the menu. Tedtv posted a cut and past from comcast web blog about the menu. And it its states that comcast has an agreement. According to Ted Hodgins, Sr Director of video product development. The agreement is with comcast spotlight, Comcast national Advertising sales unit. Furthermore he also states that The ad drives Usage and Revenue for Comcasts on demand. He also stated that comcast is a for profit publicly traded company with stockholders wanting a return on their investment.
that is the reason for the ad....
New Poster

My cable box/DVR was also upgraded last week (6/21). I am having a box lockup problem similar to some of the other forum posters. When selecting either of the first 2 recorded programs to play, the cable box/dvr freezes. Pushing any of the cable remote buttons does not work to unfreeze it, including the TV guide button or even the Cable box OFF button. After about 5 minutes, something seems to timeout and the DVR function is restored. In addition, the box makes a click noise. Alternatively, unplugging and replugging in the box works, but requires going through a complete reboot and program restore cycle. This does not happen with DVR playback of other programs. This is a software lockup problem which I never ran into with the previous Scientific Atlanta program guide/DVR software. Hopefully Comcast customer support and engineering are listening  -> we need a fix here !

Contributor

Not sure if this is the correct thread in which to post this, but it is related directly to the "upgrade" that is being pushed to the Scientific-Atlanta 8300HD DVRs.

The old software, when used in concert with the 8300HD's setup wizard, allowed for pass-through of a broadcaster's native signal type.  If set that way, channels like ESPN, Fox, ABC, et al., would come through as 720p (easily confirmed by using an HDTV's info about the signal it was receiving).  This functionality seems to be missing or broken in the new software.  With the old software the setting was accessible via the more detailed Setup menu, IIRC.  I've been through every screen under the new software's Setup menu, and I do not see such an option.

I've re-run the Setup Wizard and confirmed the 8300HD is using Advanced mode with all the requisite formats selected, yet ESPN, et al., are still upscaled to 1080i.  I find this very disappointing.

If anyone knows of a way to force the old pass-through functionality with the new software, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quick follow-up:
talked to a very helpful front line customer service rep who spent a lot of time talking with the upgrade dept.  Finally got confirmation that there should be a "General Settings" menu option (I think that's what he said it's called, but something along those lines) that is missing from my upgrade.  I reckon it'll be added soon. Under that are the upconvert and pass-through settings, so if, like me, you're missing that, be patient :-)

Now to get used to this new guide.  No more PiP, no sleep timer!!!! (kidding; whatever ;-), etc.

Cheers.

Sancho

Regular Visitor

Why would anyone want to scroll CHANNEL BY CHANNEL using the up/down arrows?  Some argue that you can see what else is on while still watching your show.  If you like the show you are watching so much, why are you looking for other programming?  Or can't you just pause it?  My buddy said the exact same thing as you - I guess I just never used the up/down arrows.

I will admit that Skip to End was a good feature and the new ads are annoying.

I moved from a Motorola market to a SA/Cisco market and I wanted to punch myself in the face when I had to deal with the old purple clumsy menus.  FINALLY Comcast decides to upgrade everyone to the newer menus and everyone complains??

With the new menus you can:

1. Record a show from the guide with one touch of a button.  Before you had to select 180294289 options before the show would actually start recording.

2. See where you are timewise in a show/DVR recording.  No more guessing like before, it shows you how much time you have been watching and how much time is left.

3. Search by more than one letter for shows.  No more choosing "C" and then scrolling through every single show that begins with "C".

4. Get all On Demand menus in one spot.  The On Demand menus were horrible before.  You would click "On Demand" -> Please Wait.  Then you'd click "Premium Channels" -> New channel, Please Wait.  Then you'd cliick "HBO" -> New channel, Please Wait.

5. Get Weather right in the guide.

6. You can turn your DVR box off, come back, and resume a recorded show where you left off.  No more starting from the beginning every time you come back.

7. Pause and swap.  You can pause a program, swap to the other tuner, then come back and your original is still paused.

You guys are really complaining about picture in picture?  What is this 1992 on a ProScan TV?

From a technology standpoint, this new guide is heads and tails better than the old one.  Congratulations, SA/Cisco markets, you now have what the Moto markets had in the early 2000s.  Just wait until Comcast actually starts giving us some of the cooler features such as watch in HD, on-screen caller ID, and my favorite, DVR folders.

The looked over SA/Cisco markets finally get brought up to 10 years ago and everyone is complaining?  Unbelievable.  You guys probably complained when the cell companies made you get new phones because they were discontinuing analog service, too.

Frequent Visitor

David just because you don't wish to use the speakers that we use to have doesn't mean that they should not be there. If SA/Cisco boxes have capabilities motorola doesn't, does not mean that we should not have access to those capabilities. It would not cost comcast that much time and money to enable these items. Furthermore and most importantly to me, every day I watch at least 1 comcast tv commercial saying how much they have changed how much they are perfectionist how much they want to be a well liked company. But you're actually telling everybody here oh well too bad. If they can spend millions of dollars on tv commercials. Spend a few dollars giving these customers back the abilities they had it is possible I've done programming. 20 percent of their customers have SA/Cisco boxes that is not a small amount.
Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

New Poster

New Cable Guide and Cable Box Upgrades

The new Program Guide and updated Cable Box was supposed to be an "upgrade", but there
was more taken away than added:
1) No more Picture in Picture even with TVs that
provide this feature.
2) You can only display time or Channel. It used
to be that you could keep the channel on while viewing, but would display the
time when the cable box was off
3) The cable box must be on in order to
record....so if I go away for a few days, or want to record something in the
middle of the night, I would have to leave the cable box on
4) In order to search for scheduled recordings
you have to go through day by day. Under the old system you could get a complete
listing of future scheduled recordings

You've taken away more features than you've
added.  I don't need sports, news, etc in different colors!

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE
Frequent Visitor

Re: New Cable Guide and Cable Box Upgrades

FIOS just got laid in my neighborhood. However Verizon says it will only be "live" on or around August 1.

Shame, because this new format makes me want it now!!.

BYE COMCAST!

Security Expert

You can post feedback here as well>

http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes.html

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

imartg said "3) The cable box must be on in order to record"

That's not strictly true.  I tested that recordings can be made while the box is off, and that works fine.  Unlike the old software, the DVR does appear to turn itself on while recording scheduled programs (or manual recordings that were scheduled, and then the DVR is turned off), but it turns off once they are complete.  It is true, of course, that once a recording is going and you attempt to turn off the DVR, a warning message is displayed stating that all programs currently recording will be stopped, but there is an option to continue recording.

I noted some strange behavior when deleting a recorded program while it is still playing.  For instance, if you hit the STOP button during playback, the DVR switches to one of the tuners and shows that channel live, and continues to that channel after confirming delete.  But if you go to the My DVR menu, select the recorded program you are watching, and then delete it, the DVR gets.... confused :-)  The screen goes blank and just sits there.  Further, at that point manually tuning to the last channel you were watching will bring up the mini guide, but not the A/V for that channel.  Use the Channel UP or DOWN buttons, and then go back to that channel and it comes in fine.  Strange behavior.

Having down a lot of quality assurance work, all I can say is, write a proper test plan!!!  Well, they might have done and simply let those bugs pass, to be fixed in a later update.  SOP in my experience.

Cheers.

Sancho

Regular Visitor

>You folks are nuts, I have been a Comcast customer for years and although I have not always been a >happy customer, I am very pleased that they updated this very outdated system. Having had the Motorola >system then moving into a neighborhood with the old SA / Cisco system, I was very disatisfied. This new >system does not look like the lastest version of the Iguide but it trumps the previous version. Give it a >chance.

I don't think we are nuts to expect to get the entire show when we are recording something.  This does not happen if you try to record two shows and then begin to watch one before the recording is completed.  Not what we are paying for.  

New Poster

Complicated Comcast Guide and Menu

What's up with all the steps and buttons to press on getting through the remote guide?????  It's so complicated and many steps to set a recording, delete a recording, find a recording, get to subtitles, everything is button after button after button pressing to get through the guilde and that advertisement doesn't help on the screen.  Too much and not simple at all.  Anyone agree??  Whose in charge of creating all these settings?  It is surely not friendly!! 

Regular Visitor

Re: Complicated Comcast Guide and Menu

No PIP, no sleep timer.  I want a reduction in DVR rental fee.  I encourage all who are dissatisfied with the new guide to investigate replacing the Comcast offering with a Tivo or Moxi unit.

New Poster

Ugh!  I hate not having the PIP (it's great when you're watching two games) ..... I am most disappointed in the fact that my DVR will NOT record in HD, worse, whenI record one show while watching a second, BOTH shows revert to SD even when tunned to the HD channel.

Why am I paying for HD if I can't watch/record in HD?

Regular Visitor

HockyBug1:  I am most disappointed in the fact that my DVR will NOT record HD

It should be able to record HD. The update probably just removed your HD settings. In the menu there is an HD item somewhere--one of the many pamphlets they sent before the update explains what to do to get it to work with HD.

Now if only those pamphlets explained all the items they would be removing!

Here's my 2 cents.... (sorry for the super-long post below, feel free to skip Smiley Happy )

There are 3 things that always annoyed me about my Comcast DVR:

1. You couldn't save your spot in a show you were watching--when you shut down the DVR you lost your place and had to start over at the beginning of the show. THEY FIXED THIS. Woo Hoo!

2. They didn't have folders in the Recorded list.  *sigh* They still don't. I was excited when I saw "folders" as a display option in one of the menu settings...but no...that setting doesn't work.

3. The fact that my DVR only records 20 hrs of HD content. I know that's not something that can be resolved with a software update, but it's still annoying. My zip code only has the option for a 20 hr DVR. My brother lives 20 minutes away and his Comcast DVR can hold 2 to 3 times that!

Now here are the things I liked about my Comcast DVR:

1. Picture in Picture--I was super happy to have that. My brother's cable box and my mom's satelite DVR don't have PiP. I LOVE my PiP. Now it's no more!!! RIP PiP Smiley Sad

2. I could set the channel I wanted the DVR to turn on to. It's silly, but when I wake up in the morning, I turn on my TV and go into the kitchen while it's "booting up". I expect to see the Today Show when I come back with my breakfast. But now it's whatever channel was previously on. *sigh*

3. The guide--I used to be able to see a 2 hour window. So I could check the shows from 8:30 to 10:30 showing me 3 separate shows (if they are 1 hr each). Now I can see only 2 shows and have to click the button multiple times to get to see the 10:00 hour show.

4. It's very, very complicated to record a series! Someone mentioned this above...constant clicking and moving through menus to get to see "all" of the options to record the series--and they don't have options like "All episodes on this day this time", etc. That's important for shows like Mythbusters. They repeat all the time, so I only want to see the Wed 9:00 or 10:00 show. Yes, I know, I can do a work around by creating a "manual" recording--but before, I only had to do a couple of clicks; now it's much more time consuming.

.....Everyone else on this thread has explained all of the other items we have lost with this update.

I will admit that with this update I'm happy that they now keep track of when I stopped playing a show. BUT I WANT MY PICTURE IN PICTURE BACK Smiley Sad  *sigh*

Oh, and for those of you who are saying: "We didn't have those features so who cares"?  Maybe 80% of comcast users didn't have those features, but I bet if they DID have them and they were taken away, comcast would have a lot more people complaining.

New Poster

DiannaInVA wrote: 

It should be able to record HD. The update probably just removed your HD settings. In the menu there is an HD item somewhere--one of the many pamphlets they sent before the update explains what to do to get it to work with HD.

Sadly, I've tried all the things that were suggested in the pamphlets ...... still no joy.

Looks like I am going to have to call tech support (again).

Frequent Visitor

DiannaInVA wrote:

4. It's very, very complicated to record a series! Someone mentioned this above...constant clicking and moving through menus to get to see "all" of the options to record the series--and they don't have options like "All episodes on this day this time", etc. That's important for shows like Mythbusters. They repeat all the time, so I only want to see the Wed 9:00 or 10:00 show. Yes, I know, I can do a work around by creating a "manual" recording--but before, I only had to do a couple of clicks; now it's much more time consuming.

I don't think the number of steps/clicks required to record a series has changed dramatically between the old and new guide.  It was always fairly cumbersome even with the old guide.  The new guide may have one or two steps greater or fewer but it's not a dramatic difference.

I've seen a lot of people complain about not being able to record "All episodes on this day and time" but I'm at a loss for when that would be useful that can't be done with a "new episode" series recording. 

One complaint I still have is that the "New and Repeats" option doesn't work very well.  I've seen stuff that's "New" not get recorded and multiple copies of repeats that do.

Also, does Series recording priority actually work with the new guide?  I'm not quite sure how it's supposed to work and haven't relied on it.  My understanding is it should allow for the situation where you have three "new" shows scheduled to record it would reschedule the lowest priority show to get recorded when it's repeated.  Is that right?  or does it simply not record the lowest priority show?  I also think that if space on the DVR fills up it will start deleting shows based on priority and the "Until space is needed" setting.

Silver Problem Solver

Unless the guide says new or repeat it records it.  That does not always work though. That problem is not as prevelant in newer versions of the guide though so something to look forward to Smiley Happy

As for series priority the third show would just simply not record  it would be nice if it would reschedule that show for another time but the dvr is not that smart and it still does not work that way in the newest guide either.

Contributor

voyager9 wrote:

I've seen a lot of people complain about not being able to record "All episodes on this day and time" but I'm at a loss for when that would be useful that can't be done with a "new episode" series recording.

I use to use that feature all the time on stations that repeated broadcasts of prime-time shows.  That way I could prevent conflicts resulting from trying to record too many shows that are on at the same time. So rather than record a show in prime-time, I would opt to record the repeat offered either later that night or in the wee hours of the next morning.   I don't know how to accomplish this under the current system for a series recording.

Contributor

In line comments.

Dave182 wrote:

Why would anyone want to scroll CHANNEL BY CHANNEL using the up/down arrows?  Some argue that you can see what else is on while still watching your show.  If you like the show you are watching so much, why are you looking for other programming?  Or can't you just pause it?  My buddy said the exact same thing as you - I guess I just never used the up/down arrows.

Well, I selected channel x and got the guide.  Before I simply used the up button and could see the channel x-1.  When I must use the up arrow, I must then use the down key to get to the X-1 channel.  For the HBO mulitchannels I liked to see which time slot to use, the up arrow lets me see OK, it's just a bit clunkier. 

I will admit that Skip to End was a good feature and the new ads are annoying.

I moved from a Motorola market to a SA/Cisco market and I wanted to punch myself in the face when I had to deal with the old purple clumsy menus.  FINALLY Comcast decides to upgrade everyone to the newer menus and everyone complains??

There are other capabilities of the SA boxes than Moto never had.  Like allowing me to offload to my DVD recorder, while recording two shows AND playing back another recorded show.  You may not want to do that but when I want to save a show I put it on DVD, the box doesn't have enough storage otherwise.  Now when I want to offload, I can't watch anything else and must beware of starting or ending another recording while offloading to avoid that awful bar telling me a recording has finished or is about to begin.  Those prompts were surpressed on component outputs with SARA.

With the new menus you can:

1. Record a show from the guide with one touch of a button.  Before you had to select 180294289 options before the show would actually start recording.

I don't know.  I always hit the red button and the recording started capturing whatever was in the buffer at the time.  Now you can never be sure the recording will actually occur.

2. See where you are timewise in a show/DVR recording.  No more guessing like before, it shows you how much time you have been watching and how much time is left.

This is a good feature provided by the upgrade. 

3. Search by more than one letter for shows.  No more choosing "C" and then scrolling through every single show that begins with "C".

Another good feature, although with SARA I never bothered to search because it was useless.

4. Get all On Demand menus in one spot.  The On Demand menus were horrible before.  You would click "On Demand" -> Please Wait.  Then you'd click "Premium Channels" -> New channel, Please Wait.  Then you'd cliick "HBO" -> New channel, Please Wait.

All of the Guide features (and On Demand selections) are impoved with S.25.

5. Get Weather right in the guide.

Never noticed, or cared.

6. You can turn your DVR box off, come back, and resume a recorded show where you left off.  No more starting from the beginning every time you come back.

A good feature.

7. Pause and swap.  You can pause a program, swap to the other tuner, then come back and your original is still paused.

Only if the real time buffer works properly.  With S.25 and an external drive, the real time buffer can get lost.  Probably only of concern to those of us that need an external drive.

You guys are really complaining about picture in picture?  What is this 1992 on a ProScan TV?

Helpful in some situations but not critical for my use.

From a technology standpoint, this new guide is heads and tails better than the old one.  Congratulations, SA/Cisco markets, you now have what the Moto markets had in the early 2000s.  Just wait until Comcast actually starts giving us some of the cooler features such as watch in HD, on-screen caller ID, and my favorite, DVR folders.

On screen caller ID?  You trust your telephone service to the cable company?  Not I.  DVR folders may never make it on SA boxes.  I'll believe it when I see it.

From a technology standpoint, S.25 has dumbed down the SA boxes to the less capable (and cheaper) Moto boxes.  An argueable point.  We can await the new and improved RNG boxes.

The looked over SA/Cisco markets finally get brought up to 10 years ago and everyone is complaining?  Unbelievable.  You guys probably complained when the cell companies made you get new phones because they were discontinuing analog service, too.

Actually I did.  Analog cell service provided better service when signals were weak.

No point in continued complaints, I'm installing TIVO.  A pox on SA and Moto boxes.  I'll miss free on-demand but replace it with Netflix and Hulu.  Maybe someday Comcast will roll out on-demand in smaller markets.  I won't hold my breath.

Contributor

CraigFos wrote:

I don't think we are nuts to expect to get the entire show when we are recording something.  This does not happen if you try to record two shows and then begin to watch one before the recording is completed.  Not what we are paying for.  

That's why I've gotten TIVO.  The SARA software was reliable.  Unless the signal dropped out it recorded the entire show, not 11 or 20 or 17 min of a 60 min show.  And the only way to find out is to play the recording.  At least with SARA I could see where the recording was incomplete. 

Contributor

Gotta add my $.02 to the kvetch fest.

There's no doubt the current implementation of the new guide is, in a word, pathetic.  We all know about the lost features.  We all know about improvements to come, but judging from the blog of "Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation" (blog[dot]comcast[dot]com/2010/05/new-guide-for-scientific-atlanta-cable-boxes[dot]html), they are WAY too far off in the future to compensate.

I decided to go with the Ceton InfiniTV 4.  It works (I hope!) for me, as I just built a new HTPC running Windows 7 (a pre-requisite for the adapter).  I've read quite a few positive reviews from Comcast customers in various regions.  4 tuners and as much recording space as you can cram into a PC case.  In typical Comcast style, I was assured twice (over the phone and in a chat) that I could walk into my local office and pick up the required mutli-stream cable card (or M-Card, which plugs into the Ceton adapter).  Of course when I walked in today - after driving 20 miles to the office - I was told self-installable M-Cards will not be available until Aug. (not coincidentally, when the FCC regulation requiring them goes into effect.  WAY TO BE PROACTIVE!!! ;-)  An appointment with a technician is still required, for which I have the honor of paying Comcast for a job I'll likely end up doing myself (I really don't want that technician touching my PC; he can call in the numbers, though ;-)

When I called to set up the appointment, I complained about being misled and wasting all that time and gas on the trip.  Compensation was offered, so there's that.

</end rant>

Just wanted to let people know about this option.  The card isn't cheap, but then neither is a TiVo (I do miss my old DirecTiVo.... sigh), and there is OF COURSE a not cheap rental fee for the M-Card capable of delivering HD, but it's still less than the monthly DVR fee.  It's not hard to do the cost-benefit analysis, esp. if you're stuck in a place where Comcast is the only option, and likely will be for the foreseeable future.

Newegg[dot]com currently has a good deal on the Ceton card, and you can read excellent reviews, many from Comcast customers.  It may be too geeky for most, but if you've got the requisite HTPC in place, it seems the best bang for the buck, IMO.

And don't worry, Comcast, I'm still keeping the "good" DVR (ironically the one I've had longer).  The "newer" one must not have been refurbished with the requisite (yes, that is the Word For Today ) TLC.

And so the fun continues.  Let the kvetching roll on.  We may be spitin' in the wind, but it's fun ;-)

Off to instruct my poor sister on the use of the new Guide.  She's probably dreaming of a DirecTV signal that works.

Cheers,

Sancho

Frequent Visitor

The is a show I record that airs 5 times a week.  The guide never gives a specific description.  So now I need to remember to record one single episode each week, delete 4 scheduled recoordings per week, or delete 4 actual recordings each week.