Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Motorola DCT 700 not turning on?

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

Motorola DCT 700 not turning on?

My bedroom TV is connected to a Motorola DCT 700 SD cable box.  I understand that until the recent movement towards HD, the standard-def DCT 700 was kind of like the "Swiss Army Knife" of Comcast's set-top boxes.  The DCT 700 has been very dependable over the past three years.

Unfortunately, yesterday after viewing a Video on Demand program, the box seems to have "died".  I cannot seem to get it to turn on.  How can I self-diagnose the box, before I give up and go through the somewhat-time-consuming task of taking time off from work to bring it to the Comcast store for replacement - assuming they have a replacement available (other than one of the "stripped" DTAs)? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Motorola DCT 700 not turning on?

edpeters wrote:

About the only thing you can try is to unplug the unit for several minutes and then plug it back in to see if it will correct itself.  Are there any lights on the unit when you try to turn it on?  I would expect that Comcast will have a regular box (not a DTA) to replace your set-top box with at the local outlet.  Unfortunitly (even in the age of computers and inventory control systems) Comcast apparently has not joind the information age and can not tell you what they do or do not have at any particular outlet...

Thank you. I was able to successfully restore my DCT 700 back to life, but I think the specific problem here was that the big black power supply box (what many of us call a "wall wart") had become rather hot because I had sometimes not been turning the DCT 700 off after ending a TV session. 

Unlike the Comcast DTA which lacks an "on/off" feature, the DCT 700 and other cable boxes do need to be turned off occasionally because those "wall warts" can become very hot.  In all honesty, this is common sense and was a misunderstanding on my part - I've had difficulty getting the Comcast remote control to reliably turn off both my Sony Trinitron 19" bedroom television and the DCT 700, they sometimes don't quite synchronize with each other when using the "Power All" button. 

I unplugged the DCT 700 from the surge protector and left it disconnected all day so that the wall wart would completely cool down.  Once I returned back from work, after a couple of attempts, I got the DCT 700 back in business - apparently it was tuned to CNBC and I heard investment personality Jim Cramer's voice during the evening's episode of "Mad Money".

Glad I won't need to take time off from work to go to the Comcast service center!

View answer in context
Bronze Problem Solver

About the only thing you can try is to unplug the unit for several minutes and then plug it back in to see if it will correct itself.  Are there any lights on the unit when you try to turn it on?  I would expect that Comcast will have a regular box (not a DTA) to replace your set-top box with at the local outlet.  Unfortunitly (even in the age of computers and inventory control systems) Comcast apparently has not joind the information age and can not tell you what they do or do not have at any particular outlet...

Regular Contributor

edpeters wrote:

Thank you. I was able to successfully restore my DCT 700 back to life, but I think the specific problem here was that the big black power supply box (what many of us call a "wall wart") had become rather hot because I had sometimes not been turning the DCT 700 off after ending a TV session. 

Unlike the Comcast DTA which lacks an "on/off" feature, the DCT 700 and other cable boxes do need to be turned off occasionally because those "wall warts" can become very hot.  In all honesty, this is common sense and was a misunderstanding on my part - I've had difficulty getting the Comcast remote control to reliably turn off both my Sony Trinitron 19" bedroom television and the DCT 700, they sometimes don't quite synchronize with each other when using the "Power All" button. 

I unplugged the DCT 700 from the surge protector and left it disconnected all day so that the wall wart would completely cool down.  Once I returned back from work, after a couple of attempts, I got the DCT 700 back in business - apparently it was tuned to CNBC and I heard investment personality Jim Cramer's voice during the evening's episode of "Mad Money".

Glad I won't need to take time off from work to go to the Comcast service center!

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation