Posted by
Edited on
‎08-01-2012 09:07 PM

Official Employee

Message 201 of 534 (2,756 Views)

Re: Momentary Black Screen / RNG 200N DVR

[ Edited ]

barbross wrote:

Please specify WHICH SPECIFIC AREAS are scheduled for the upgrades after Aug. 13. Just saying "some areas" or "additional areas" doesn't help those of us who have been waiting and waiting and still paying full price for 80% service.

We will be starting up again with new deployments of the new guide firmware and software the week of August 12th starting in Connecticut. (This is not On-Screen Guide 2.0 but a software update for our current SA and Cisco cable boxes).

All locations are scheduled to be completed by the end of the year. We are still finalizing the order and sequence of locations as that depends on a lot of factors.

Based on the good experience at our first location in Shreveport, LA and the extensive employee testing well underway in CT, I think that we will be able to finish all the targeted locations fairly quickly.

Our customers and our local management teams want the fixes and new features so our customers and the business have a improved experience. Once I get an updated schedule I will be able to post it in the forums.

Unfortunately the update is a site by site deployment so we can't push this firmware and software update out to all locations at one time.

Thanks for your patience.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 202 of 534 (2,759 Views)

spottedlady wrote:

ComcastTeds,

Do you have info on the Naples, Florida area?  Do we need to wait?  I still have the RNG 200 box, since the 200N didn't work the last time they were here to give me a different box.

Yes, Naples is 100% ready. In your area of Florida, a solution is already available now with what we call On-Screen Guide 2.0.

We would need to change your existing cable box out in order to get you that new experience.

I'll contact the local Comcast site that oversees your area and they will reach out to talk that option over with you and get you set up. It does require a professional installation.

More info can be found here: http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 203 of 534 (2,783 Views)

Please specify WHICH SPECIFIC AREAS are scheduled for the upgrades after Aug. 13. Just saying "some areas" or "additional areas" doesn't help those of us who have been waiting and waiting and still paying full price for 80% service.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 204 of 534 (2,794 Views)

ComcastTeds,

Do you have info on the Naples, Florida area?  Do we need to wait?  I still have the RNG 200 box, since the 200N didn't work the last time they were here to give me a different box.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 205 of 534 (2,816 Views)

vtsmike wrote:

I have to agree that comcast brings a new level (low) of customer service to something that costs so much money every month. (I read most of the first 3 pages of 7 posts on this thread before cutting to the chase, which I pretty much figured out early on)

Got iPad, downloaded app. - 'sorry you don't have elgible device'

Called comcast - ok, we will send out a box that is compatible (first opportunity to mention service not available in my area)

Box was an RNG200 (yes no, 'N') - installer said "oh, yes you can do the app now'. After 2 phone calls to techs that probably do not know there is a guide 2 coming out (they were absolutely no help), I found this forum. (opportunities 2, 3, and 4 to mention the service is not available in my area)

PM'd the ted or whatever the comcast name is - advised me (what I figured out on my own) that RNG200N is what I needed. I had to ask about it working in my area, Sarasota, FL - and only then was I told that sometime after the Olympics.

This time made a trip to local office to swap out for the 'N' model.

Now, figured I would wait patiently until Olympics are over and see the guide 2 show up --- well since I am posting on the thread, I found out about the 'flawed' boxes that Comcast is pushing - black screen/no audio, sporadically.

So, ted, when can I expect a fix? I live in Sarasota, FL (manatee county) - Please be more specific than sometime after August 13th.

Don't worry, I can handle bad news, I have lived in this house for 10 years now, and the developer signed a 15 year contract with our cable TV provider, that is not up until late 2013 - so bad news is that I won't try fiber optic for over one more year. 

Thanks ted

No need to wait until August 13.

In your area of Florida, a solution is already available now with what we call On-Screen Guide 2.0. We would need to change your existing cable box out in order to get you that new experience.

I'll contact the local Comcast site that oversees your area and they will reach out to talk that option over with you and get you set up. It does require a professional installation.  

More info can be found here: http://www.xfinity.com/onscreenguide2 

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 206 of 534 (2,848 Views)

I have to agree that comcast brings a new level (low) of customer service to something that costs so much money every month. (I read most of the first 3 pages of 7 posts on this thread before cutting to the chase, which I pretty much figured out early on)

Got iPad, downloaded app. - 'sorry you don't have elgible device'

Called comcast - ok, we will send out a box that is compatible (first opportunity to mention service not available in my area)

Box was an RNG200 (yes no, 'N') - installer said "oh, yes you can do the app now'. After 2 phone calls to techs that probably do not know there is a guide 2 coming out (they were absolutely no help), I found this forum. (opportunities 2, 3, and 4 to mention the service is not available in my area)

PM'd the ted or whatever the comcast name is - advised me (what I figured out on my own) that RNG200N is what I needed. I had to ask about it working in my area, Sarasota, FL - and only then was I told that sometime after the Olympics.

This time made a trip to local office to swap out for the 'N' model.

Now, figured I would wait patiently until Olympics are over and see the guide 2 show up --- well since I am posting on the thread, I found out about the 'flawed' boxes that Comcast is pushing - black screen/no audio, sporadically.

So, ted, when can I expect a fix? I live in Sarasota, FL (manatee county) - Please be more specific than sometime after August 13th.

Don't worry, I can handle bad news, I have lived in this house for 10 years now, and the developer signed a 15 year contract with our cable TV provider, that is not up until late 2013 - so bad news is that I won't try fiber optic for over one more year. 

Thanks ted

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 207 of 534 (2,893 Views)

Mike150 wrote:

I'm also a Cherry Hill customer. Same problem for over a year. Pitiful. We keep the subtitles on for everything. This sometimes helps as the subtitles for the blacked out portion are sometimes still present when the image returns. Saves a few rewinds.

Apologies that you have been having this issue. Additional Comcast locations are scheduled for both the guide fixes and the new features combined starting after the end of the Olympics (after August 13).

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 208 of 534 (2,894 Views)

barbross wrote:

We have this momentary black screen with our RNG200N in Cherry Hill, NJ.  Hard to watch TV as it happens so often we miss a good part of the show.  WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED?  Or maybe you could spend some money and get some decent NEW boxes to your customers before we go over to Verizon? I've been a customer for about 30 years and it would break my heart to defect, but enough is enough.  For $200 a month...I want to be able to watch a show without missing half of what they are saying.

Apologies that you have been having this issue. Additional Comcast locations are scheduled for both the guide fixes and the new features combined starting after the end of the Olympics (after August 13).

Posted by
Contributor

Message 209 of 534 (2,898 Views)

I'm also a Cherry Hill customer. Same problem for over a year. Pitiful. We keep the subtitles on for everything. This sometimes helps as the subtitles for the blacked out portion are sometimes still present when the image returns. Saves a few rewinds.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 210 of 534 (2,910 Views)

We have this momentary black screen with our RNG200N in Cherry Hill, NJ.  Hard to watch TV as it happens so often we miss a good part of the show.  WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED?  Or maybe you could spend some money and get some decent NEW boxes to your customers before we go over to Verizon? I've been a customer for about 30 years and it would break my heart to defect, but enough is enough.  For $200 a month...I want to be able to watch a show without missing half of what they are saying.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 211 of 534 (3,012 Views)

Eden, you can read all my thoughts about the AnyRoom DVR in the thread AnyRoom DVR installation: comments and observations.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
Message 212 of 534 (3,026 Views)

So far so good on the momentary black screen. I still have no caller id on tv or computer. I like the new guide and all you can do. I can change channeles and alot of other stuff from my laptop. Coool.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 213 of 534 (3,030 Views)

So did going to the new service fix the problems????

Posted by
Contributor

Message 214 of 534 (3,093 Views)

Hope you got some satisfaction today, hofiveo! Keep us posted!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
Message 215 of 534 (3,129 Views)

Noticed someone deleted the last two posts about leaving Comcast. Anyway my update to Saturday's disappointment on the install of AnyroomDVR. I PM'd ComcastTeds and told him what happened. He replied that he need to talk to Memphis Comcast and find out what happened. I get a call this morning with two ladies(Memphis Comcast) via conference call wanting to try and solve the problem. They tried to tell me that I needed a new remote control, and I had to tell them the whole story and told them not to send a tech with a remote because that is not the fix. Well about thirty minutes ago a Supervisor Tech left and He will be installing the Anyroom DVR tomorrow morning himself with the new 3.0 Modem(guess that is the new one for the anyroom dvr. He is also rewiring the whole attic and rooms to make sure there are no signal or power issues. Very nice job ComcastTeds, kudos to you and this Supervisor tech for trying to get this resolved ASAP. Will update tomorrow after the install and play time.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 216 of 534 (3,197 Views)

anita0817 wrote:

ComcastTeds,

I sent you two PM's. Please read them!!!

Anita

read and responded, thanks.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 217 of 534 (3,231 Views)

ComcastTeds,

I sent you two PM's. Please read them!!!

Anita

Posted by
Edited on
‎07-16-2012 08:53 PM

Official Employee

Message 218 of 534 (3,233 Views)

[ Edited ]

As a general update, customers in the Shreveport, LA area and areas of east Texas are scheduled to get the previously mentioned guide fixes (plus myDVR Manager) this week, the specific areas are listed below:

LA: Shreveport, Caddo Parish, Greenwood, Desoto Parish, Stonewall

TX: Waskom, Harrison County, Panola County

The other new features (Caller ID, Xfinity TV App, HSN Shop by Remote, etc) will be added in these areas in August after the end of the Summer Olympics. Other Comcast locations are scheduled for both the guide fixes and the new features combined starting after the end of the Olympics (after August 13).

Posted by
Contributor

Message 219 of 534 (3,237 Views)

Got my installation done this morning. Check out the AnyRoom DVR installation thread if you're interested in hearing my experience.

Flicker and audio loss seems to be gone, but there are other issues.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 220 of 534 (3,289 Views)

Created. Look for new AnyRoom DVR installation in the topic list.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 221 of 534 (3,292 Views)

Starbrite...

Since you are getting the AnyRoom installation done, we should create a new subject in this forum.  Know how to do that?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 222 of 534 (3,302 Views)

Thanks, Regnal! I appreciate it! Sounds like this may be the ticket... Smiley Happy
Posted by
Edited on
‎07-15-2012 07:59 AM

Contributor

Message 223 of 534 (3,313 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here's the first day's report on my AnyRoom:  Great.  No black screens.  No audio problems. Terrific graphics...very friendly.

I started watching something last night on one TV and resumed watching it in the morning on a different TV.

It is very "DirecTV-like."

Posted by
Contributor

Message 224 of 534 (3,346 Views)

Ugh!!! What a mess!

Sorry you didn't get your problem solved today. Hopefully they will be able to give you an accurate rollout date soon!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
Message 225 of 534 (3,356 Views)

Well the tech just left and I have no new box or guide. It is not available in my part of Memphis yet. Guess I will have to wait for the fix to roll out or the new anyroom dvr to roll out in my area. I will be calling to complain and PM ComcastTeds to find out what is going on. So disappointing and frustrating. Go figure.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 226 of 534 (3,378 Views)

Thanks for the update, Regnal. Not the news I was hoping for, but...

I will be waiting and hoping that the new software download does the trick!
Posted by
Contributor

Message 227 of 534 (3,386 Views)

First Problem rears its ugly head:  I was on the guide.  All of a sudden, the screen went black except for an small (10") image at the top left of the screen.  None of the remote's controls would work. I could not even turn off the DVR on the DVR. I was about to call Comcast but decided to unplug the DVR and see whether that would work.  After all, it is Saturday and I really don't want to get aggravated!

Results after the programming downloaded again:  So far, so good but I guess we'll have to watch to see if that's an issue (that will be fixed by February 2014 I would guess).

I am still thrilled with the graphics in this software upgrade so I'm hoping that was just a one-time issue.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 228 of 534 (3,394 Views)

I just did a speedtest (speedtest.net) and the download was 24.98.  The fastest I had with the old modem was 14.0.  So...don't believe the tech when he tells you the new modem isn't any faster.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 229 of 534 (3,404 Views)

Can't wait to hear your results, hofiveo! Good luck with the installation!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
Message 230 of 534 (3,422 Views)

Thanks rengal for the updates. I private messaged ComcastTeds with my problems and complaints and he called the Memphis Comcast team to contact me to setup my install with anyroom dvr with the newguide. I hope they bring that new modem you talked about, I will stand my ground and insist on it too. My install is between 1-5 today, so i will be ready for the long download as you endured. Thanks again.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 231 of 534 (3,424 Views)

Sure!  I'll post something tomorrow morning.  The TV will be on all day today and recording later tonight.  That should be a good test.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 232 of 534 (3,429 Views)

Thanks for the update, Regnal! Glad you're up and running!

Could you post an update tomorrow maybe, and confirm that the flickering/audio loss is gone? Just want to make sure before I waste $50 for the install.

Can't wait to see it for myself! Smiley Happy
Posted by
Edited on
‎07-14-2012 12:21 PM

Contributor

Message 233 of 534 (3,433 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK...here's the whole story which so far has a happy ending:

The beginning of the AnyRoom installation:

10:15 - The Tech comes in and says, "what kind of problem are we having today?"  I said, we have no problem.  You and installing the AnyRoom system."  He says, "Do you have the equipment?" Ahhhh, more Comcast professionalism.  I'll update this soon since he is out at his truck right now.

10:35 - He claims we don't need a new modem.  I refuse to compromise. The customer service guy I spoke with had more brains than all the "techs" I've seen.  He had the AnyRoom equipment the whole time. Maybe he was testing me and I'm in no mood.

11:35 - I insisted he place a call to his supervisor who authorized the new modem which, by the way, also has the wi-fi built in and it is definetly faster than the old modem. It is also sleeker so try to get it.  

Meanwhile, the satellite boxes in the bedrooms work fine BUT the main box/DVR is not working.  All it does is try to download.  He says that some of the boxes are bad. This is the closest I've come to a Comcast person telling me that the equipment was bad.  I watched it completely download but he says the DVR takes longer than the ones in the bedrooms which seem to be fine.

11:40 - He is calling his supervisor and giving him the serial number again.  Funny message on the screen:  "Welcome...You're about to experience exciting TV programming...Sit back, relax and enjoy." You gotta love Comcast's attempt at being professional!!!  The tech went outside to talk.  The screen just went black.  More soon. 

12:05 - Everything is working and the tech just left.  The new guide is magnificent.  The modem is faster. The satellite units in the bedrooms work just as promised - very cool.  Note:  The DVR does take a long time to download and during that time, I was sure that we had a bad unit.  Nevertheless, it eventually downloaded and we love it.  The guide looks like our old DirecTV did except better. Excellent graphics.

It was a long and painful process to get to this point but it may have been worth it.  Here hoping!  One more thing:  I asked him for a user guide but forgot to follow-up.  I have only played with the DVR for a couple of minutes but there are come options I've not seen before and will have to research.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 234 of 534 (3,444 Views)

Oh, jeez! That doesn't bode well for my installation on Monday!

Good luck! Keep us posted!
Posted by
Edited on
‎07-14-2012 11:45 AM

Contributor

Message 235 of 534 (2,392 Views)

[ Edited ]

The beginning of the AnyRoom installation:

10:15 - The Tech comes in and says, "what kind of problem are we having today?"  I said, we have no problem.  You and installing the AnyRoom system."  He says, "Do you have the equipment?" Ahhhh, more Comcast professionalism.  I'll update this soon since he is out at his truck right now.

10:35 - He claims we don't need a new modem.  I refuse to compromise. The customer service guy I spoke with had more brains than all the "techs" I've seen.  He had the AnyRoom equipment the whole time. Maybe he was testing me and I'm in no mood.

11:35 - I insisted he place a call to his supervisor who authorized the new modem which, by the way, also has the wi-fi built in and it is definetly faster than the old modem. It is also sleeker so try to get it.  

Meanwhile, the satellite boxes in the bedrooms work fine BUT the main box/DVR is not working.  All it does is try to download.  He says that some of the boxes are bad. This is the closest I've come to a Comcast person telling me that the equipment was bad.  I watched it completely download but he says the DVR takes longer than the ones in the bedrooms which seem to be fine.

11:40 - He is calling his supervisor and giving him the serial number again.  Funny message on the screen:  "Welcome...You're about to experience exciting TV programming...Sit back, relax and enjoy." You gotta love Comcast's attempt at being professional!!!  The tech went outside to talk.  The screen just went black.  More soon. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 236 of 534 (2,416 Views)

Thanks for getting back to me!

Congratulations on your switch. I hope it works even better than you expect! Smiley Happy
Posted by
Contributor

Message 237 of 534 (2,430 Views)

If all goes according to plan this won't be an issue.  I have a different service scheduled for installation on Saturday. 

The beta program for the new guide ended after a few months and was run by a third party advertising firm that Comcast contracted.

If I brought my box to my local Comcast office and asked for a firmware update they would look at me like I (insert joke here).

If I called a tech and asked that the update be brought over on a flash drive they would tell me there is no update. 

If I keep banging my head against the wall, I am the one that gets injured.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 238 of 534 (2,433 Views)

regnal,

Please post tell us whether or not you are still having the problems with your new installation tomorrow.

Thanks.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 239 of 534 (2,437 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

There is new firmware for the boxes that was just released in May or June of this year that fixes the problem. Since you've had yours since last August, you don't have the fix. Evidently it is a hard update, meaning the firmware has to be updated at a Comcast facility, not via download. So if you could make arrangements through the beta program to have a fresh DVR with the new firmware on it, SUPPOSEDLY you wouldn't have this problem any more.

I guess I will not cancel my appointment until after I hear how Regnal's install goes tomorrow, and if his flickering goes away.

Thanks again! Good luck getting a new box! Smiley Happy
Posted by
Contributor

Message 240 of 534 (2,443 Views)

I got this box with the new guide and anyroom DVR around August 2011 as part of the beta test.  I have experienced these issues since then. 

Posted by
Edited on
‎07-13-2012 03:42 PM

Contributor

Message 241 of 534 (2,464 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hey ajkelly,

So are you saying you have just had AnyRoom DVR installed within the last few days and you're STILL having blackouts and audio loss?

There is supposed to be new firmware on the boxes they bring out with AnyRoom DVR that fixes the flickering and audio loss.

Please confirm either way. I have a tech scheduled to come out Monday, but if the issue isn't resolved, I'm not paying $50!!! Thank you very much!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 242 of 534 (2,465 Views)

@hofiveo1

I find it very interesting that for new service customers they get the boxes with the fix installed in them whereas the old customers who have endured the long going problems just have to cool their heels till comcast gets ready to fix their problems. And what makes it worse is they have had this fix supposedly since Jan and are waiting for what exactly----- the bad place to freeze over????? New customers get the fix meaning we want new customers..... Old customers we will get to you when we get ready to and at our convience not yours!!!!!!!!!! Is that way the way it is??????

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 243 of 534 (2,469 Views)

I know exactly what you mean. Comcast never notifies their customers about anything. I've had so many problems with my DVR and the guide not downloading properly and signal issues. It's so frustrating.

Comcast doesn't even have the dates of when they are rolling out the fix for your box. It could be this year or next year. Who knows with them.

You're doing the right thing by leaving them.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 244 of 534 (2,478 Views)

Any room DVR works well but won't solve the problems with the model of box. Until a fimrware download is provided these issues will continue.  When that firmware is released there will be no notification.  It will just happen.  Like the new channels in Boca Raton.  No notification.  This happened in Miami as well.  TWC, Comedy Central and others just magically appeared one day.  The last time an update was pushed out, my box was stuck in a reboot loop for two days.  Check the posts in the "DVR Shuts off/Resets itself" section.  Why bother having the @comcast.net email address.  Comcast never uses it.  I beg the Comcast leadership to please change the way your are handling your service issues.  There has to be a better way.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 245 of 534 (2,482 Views)

@ajkellyonthebas

You are saying that the new box still has the same blackout problems and audio drop outs as the old ones do?????

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 246 of 534 (2,483 Views)

So you are having the same problems that everyone else on this thread has.

Good luck with your new service. I'm sure it will be superior. Anything would be!!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 247 of 534 (2,486 Views)

Black screens and audio drop outs. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 248 of 534 (2,491 Views)

I replaced the three DVR's with the AnyRoom system which included a faster modem (20Mb down) and Starz (which I didn't ask for but came with the bundle), and saved $19.05 a month.  So...it doesn't seem to cost any more but I'm waiting to see how it performs.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 249 of 534 (2,492 Views)

ajkellyonthebas,

Lucky you leaving Comcast. I can't.

Why do you hate the box??

Thanks, from Boca.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 250 of 534 (2,495 Views)

Writing from Miami.  I have the new guide and this box.  I love the new guide.  Hate the box.  My biggest problem is this company has serious lack of communication from the top down.  The left had doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  I say goodbye to Comcast this weekend.