New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Losing HD channels after 5/4

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Losing HD channels after 5/4

I keep getting mail, email and the TV POP-UP telling me that unless I upgrade I will lose HD channels after 5/4.

I had initially responded OK to the upgrade.

When I found out that it meant I would get X1 for an additional fee, I had my request canceled and verified.

If I am going to lose HD channels, will my existing service be downgraded?

Will my monthly fees be adjusted lower?

How do I stop the reminders?

Accepted Solution

Re: Losing HD channels after 5/4

See the big megathread about the MPEG4 upgrade here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/HD-Equipment-Swap-Program-MPEG-4/m-p/2577643

Basic summary: You do NOT need to upgrade to X1, although Comcast is pushing it very hard. You can simply get a newer cable box. There is NO cost increase. If your equipment is out-of-date, you will get audio but no video on most HD channels unless you replace the equipment.

If you are using a CableCard device (computer tuner, Tivo, etc...), then you need to check with the manufacturer to see if it's MPEG4 compatible. The CableCard itself is just an authorization key and has nothing to do with the digital video format.

View answer in context
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

See the big megathread about the MPEG4 upgrade here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/HD-Equipment-Swap-Program-MPEG-4/m-p/2577643

Basic summary: You do NOT need to upgrade to X1, although Comcast is pushing it very hard. You can simply get a newer cable box. There is NO cost increase. If your equipment is out-of-date, you will get audio but no video on most HD channels unless you replace the equipment.

If you are using a CableCard device (computer tuner, Tivo, etc...), then you need to check with the manufacturer to see if it's MPEG4 compatible. The CableCard itself is just an authorization key and has nothing to do with the digital video format.

Administrator
Administrator

@calzone,

There will be no automatic upgrades to X1. As mentioned in that mega thread @andyross shared, we have upgraded the signal for our HD format only. If your box is not compatible with this new signal, you will receive these messages.

To stop the on screen pop-ups follow these directions:

1. Press the Menu button on your remote control.
  2. Highlight Main Menu and press OK.
  3. Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Interactive TV and press OK.
  4. Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Notifications and press OK.
  5. Scroll down to Service Notifications, then use the right or left arrow keys to turn them On or Off.

The only way to adjust your bill for this is if you remove HD services, then you will not see charges for that service on your bill. 

The upgrade to new compatible boxes is free of charge and can be done by taking the equipment receiving the on-screen pop up to a local Comcast store. 

For additional information about this upgrade, please see that thread

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon