Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Is Digitial optical input the only option if Surround sound system doesn't have an HDMI in port?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 2

Hi Guys, I want to connect an Xfinity DVR to a Samsung Surround Sound system (the model is HT-J5500W). The Surround sound box only has a single HDMI out port, and no HDMI in ports.

Is it correct that the only way for me to get surround sound from my Xfinity service is through the Digital Optical cable connection?

I saw other posts on the forum about getting Audio through HDMI, but I think all of them mentioned that the surround sound receiver should have an HDMI input to connect from the Xfininity DVR box. I just want to make sure that the Digital Optical input is the best / only option I have. Or is there a better way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 2
Solution

Yes. The digital optical port will work for 5.1 surround sound when connected that way between the television and S.S. box.

My Sony S.S. system shows that option in the manual. Your's should work the same.

1 REPLY
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 2
Solution

Yes. The digital optical port will work for 5.1 surround sound when connected that way between the television and S.S. box.

My Sony S.S. system shows that option in the manual. Your's should work the same.