Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Internet uploading causes TV pixelation & sound stutter (3rd time)

Contributor

Internet uploading causes TV pixelation & sound stutter (3rd time)

So here we are, again, for the third time... uploading anything causes pixelation/stutter on all the HD cable boxes in the house.

Reference previous threads:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Internet-uploading-causes-TV-pixelation-amp-sound-stutt...

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Internet-uploading-causes-TV-pixelation-amp-sound-stutt...

At this point, I know for a fact it's not on my end since Comcast discovered something wrong on their end, told me they corrected it and everything was great for about a month. Now I'm back in the same boat again. What is going on!? Did Comcast revert their system back? Can someone please escalate this so it gets permanently fixed?

Contributor

Re: Internet uploading causes TV pixelation & sound stutter (3rd time)

Could someone from Comcast please look into this issue? This needs to be corrected. It's at the point that browsing "heavy" websites is causing pixelation on many HD channels. I can't keep dealing with this...

Regular Contributor

It's still bizarro world...

Can you log in to your modem and see what channels are being used on it?

It'll likely be starting around 513mHz.

Then, try to do an 'inventory' of what channels are affected.  Maybe there's some 'harmonic frequency' issue or some such that's causing it.

Have you consodered switching your DVR/  Maybe try TiVo?

-KP

Contributor

This is an issue that appears on every device in the house. Doesn't matter if it's an HD DVR or HD DTA. We received an automated call from Comcast when I brought this up back in December that said they "found the problem on their end and corrected it". No details beyond that and everything appeared to be fine for a while. It's like the issue has crept back.

I know it's affecting channels 821, 825, 830, 840, 841, most of the 850s (sports channels)... I've seen it on 862, 872, there's probably many more that I haven't checked yet. I checked 785, no issues... checked 907, and few other higher channels, no issues. Looks like channels 802 through 810 are fine.  From what I can tell, it seems like every channel from ~815 through 900 are affected.

You can reference my previous specs of the new modem here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Internet-uploading-causes-TV-pixelation-amp-sound-stutt...

This is as of this morning...current-specs.png

Regular Contributor

Since you've replaced the modem, that leaves the coax and the splitters to consider.

The Data channels shouldn't be overlapping the TV channels, but they could be, I guess.

Depending on which box you're using, there's a 'service menu' that can be accessed to tell you what frequencies the tuned channel is on, too...

-KP

Contributor

It's not on my end though, wish it were... I've already ruled everything out (details are in the first thread I started). I got so fed up with this issue over the years trying to determine the reason it was happening that last Spring I pulled out all the cable lines in the house right to the outside tap, replaced, rerouted and consolidated to a new DMARC and used industry recommended config and brands. I even tried two separate splitter brands (not the cheap stuff) during my initial research.

As noted, Comcast did do something on their end that appeared to have corrected the problem but apparently wasn't a permanent fix. All I know is that the upstream signal is interfering with the downstream signal and the severity of that interference continues to increase day by day.

Contributor

This is getting ridiculous. Comcast, any chance someone can check out the lines that are coming to the house?

Regular Contributor

It doesn't make any sense to me that it's the 'lines' outside the house.  Maybe inside.  Or the equipment inside.  What cable box(es) are you using?  Is it an X1?  Is the entire house X1?  Is the house wiring RG6?

-KP

Regular Contributor

Contributor

I have scoured the internet for anything that I could find. That link you posted I have come across in the past, and for that person it was just a bad splitter.

My issue affects all Comcast cable boxes in the house, DVR HD and DTA HD boxes. I do not have the X1 platform.

This issue has been happening for a few years now. Last Spring, the following was done to try and finally solve it because it just kept getting worse:

• All cable lines replaced, all RG6, (all rerouted for better paths, reduced length, away from electrical cables, etc)
  • Removed 3 way splitter at exterior tap, now that just goes directly to the new DMARC location
  • Removed other splitters inside the house from over the years (I think I removed 3 of them)
  • Replaced cable modem with brand new model
  • Tried 2 different splitters to split incoming tap to cable modem and TV amp
  • Tried 2 different amps for TV feeds (total of 4 TV lines for inside house)
  • Current splitter and amp are both Comcast recommended brand/products
  • Tried running cable modem without the initial split and through amp's cable modem port, no difference
  • To rule out amp, tried running a single TV and modem from 2 way splitter, directly connected a laptop to the modem to rule out my network environment, still same issue

For all I know, it could be a simple issue at the pole ever since my neighbor switched to FIOS a few years back and their old Comcast tap was never properly capped. There is absolutely no way the issue is on my end though. That leaves... outside tap to pole, main line to node, trunk line all the way up to the actual head end. Since Comcast already made a change on their end that recently "solved" the issue, but only temporarily, I'd say it's on their side.

Regular Contributor

Have you tried an attenuator on either the modem or the cable box(es) leg?

Depending on which cable box you have, there's usually a 'diagnostic screen' you can (figure out how to ) pull up and see the signal levels on the box.  Too high of an upstream signal is most likley the cause.

Although MoCA needs splitters with low port isolation, since you're (apparently) not using MoCA, you could probably consider splitters with a higher port isolation.

What about putting the modem on one leg of a 2-way splitter and all the TV's on a 2nd splitter off of the 2nd leg?

-KP

Contributor

@kpeters59 wrote:

Have you tried an attenuator on either the modem or the cable box(es) leg?

Not a pure attenuator pad, but the outside tap is split, reducing the power already and there were tons of splitters upon splitters on the old setup, I'm surprised anything worked. Originally, there was a 3 way splitter outside the house, then the modem was on another 3 way splitter and then there were two more splitters in the house. Modem probably had the signal knocked down ~10db and this issue existed back then.

Depending on which cable box you have, there's usually a 'diagnostic screen' you can (figure out how to ) pull up and see the signal levels on the box.  Too high of an upstream signal is most likley the cause.

Downstream/Upstream signals posted earlier in this thread (all appear within spec)

Although MoCA needs splitters with low port isolation, since you're (apparently) not using MoCA, you could probably consider splitters with a higher port isolation.

Currently using a PPC Evo 9 way splitter for TVs and an Antronix 2 way splitter for tap split between modem and PPC Evo 9. I have also tried other splitters and amps.

What about putting the modem on one leg of a 2-way splitter and all the TV's on a 2nd splitter off of the 2nd leg?

That's the current setup. I have tried doing it with and without. Outside tap is split with Antronix 2 way splitter with one leg to the modem and the other to the PPC Evo 9 way for the TVs.

-KP

Regular Contributor

That diagnostic screen was from the modem.  It IS within specs, but on the higher side.

I was talking about the cable box.  They have diagnostics screens as well.

-KP

Contributor

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Now I'm left scratching my head... I just tested and no channels that I can find are exhibiting the pixelation issue. Did Comcast sneak in a fix this morning???

I'll have to keep an eye on this and if the issue pops up I'll note the diag details. For what it's worth, here's some diag info that I just pulled:

Channel that wasn't showing issues: 802
Freq: 357
Power Level: Between 5.5 and 5.8
Signal-to-noise: 42

On a channel that was previously having issues: 854
Freq: 63
Power Level: Between 3.6 and 4.2
Signal-to-noise: 40 to 41

Contributor

Got hit with power outages two times in a row over the last week. Before the power outage, the issue was not occurring. Well, it's back. Cable modem specs remain the same as before. 

Channel 802 previously had a power level of 5.5 to 5.8 and no issues. Today, the power level is up to 13!

Channel 854 previously had a power level of 3.6 to 4.2 and no issues. Today, the power level is up to 10!

There's the problem! Comcast is pumping too high of a power level to my house! No wonder I keep having issues. I guess the last few times I've complained they simply padded the feed to drop the signal.

Should I keep bugging Comcast about this??? This is getting annoying that the levels end up getting "reset" back to high. Should I just slap in an attenuator before the PPC Evo 9 way splitter to the TVs? Would an attenuator even solve this problem? If so, what type?

I'm amazed this issue occurred even when we had a bunch of a splitters throughout the house. I've looked at various channels and their power levels are all up in the low 10s. So power levels appear to be 7-8 dBmv too high.

Regular Contributor

You'd do just fine with a signal level as low as -5dB.

Maybe get some attenuators off Ebay or something and pad it down 6 or 9 dB or something and see if it goes away forever?

-KP

Regular Contributor

However, the signal level shouldn't be fluxuating that much.

-KP

Contributor

It's probably always been high and never realized it. My guess is Comcast changed it for my house the last few times I complained and somehow that setting keeps getting reverted back to the "normal" high strength. I'm probably better off just doing the attenuator as a semi-permanent fix on my end. Question though, should this be placed after the split of the modem/TV lines and before the whole house TV splitter or somewhere else? Would this attentuator do what I'm looking for? http://a.co/i3NOwLB

Regular Contributor

I'd guess it depends on whether ALL the TV's have signal level that high or not.  If they're all that high, put it at the input to the 1st splitter.  Otherwise, put one at each cable box.

-KP

Contributor

I feel like I'm going in ciricles, the issue isn't occuring now and the power levels are still the same. I'm so confused...

Contributor

I don't know what's going on. The problem has returned and there's no noticable difference with the tuner specs from before. Some cable boxes have a signal as high as 10dB while one has a -3dB but they're ALL showing the pixelation issue. I'm at my wits end with this...

FYI... even posting this reply caused a moment of pixelation... wow...

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation