Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

How to get full screen on 50 inch samsung HDTV?

New Poster

How to get full screen on 50 inch samsung HDTV?

I have a Samsung 50 Inch 1080 LED Tv. I think I may have accidentally change a setting because now my Standard def channels are not full screen, they have bars on the side. When I woke up the white settings menu was up on my screen. I can't remember if my standrard deff channels were full screen before that or not. The settings on the cable box right now are:

TV Type:4:3 Pan Scan

HDMI/YPbPr Output:1080I

4:3 OverRideff

My picture size on the actual tv is set to 16:9. Please help as this is frusturating !!!

Official Employee

Re: How to get full screen on 50 inch samsung HDTV?

fcohoon wrote:

I have a Samsung 50 Inch 1080 LED Tv. I think I may have accidentally change a setting because now my Standard def channels are not full screen, they have bars on the side. When I woke up the white settings menu was up on my screen. I can't remember if my standrard deff channels were full screen before that or not. The settings on the cable box right now are:

TV Type:4:3 Pan Scan

HDMI/YPbPr Output:1080I

4:3 OverRideff

My picture size on the actual tv is set to 16:9. Please help as this is frusturating !!!

Below may assist: 

Step 1: Access the User Settings Menu

1. To access the User Settings Menu, power On your TV and power Off the DVR box.
  2. Press the Menu button on either your remote or the DVR box front panel to call up the on-screen menu. You may use either the DVR front panel or remote to navigate the menu.
  3. Press the up-down arrow buttons to select the setting you wish to change. Press the right-left arrow buttons to select an option for that setting. To exit the setting and move to another setting, use the up-down arrow buttons.

Step 2: Set Your Preference for Watching Wide-Screen TV

The first user setting, referred to as “TV Type,” tells the DVR box what type of TV you have and how you prefer to watch wide-screen programming.

For standard-screen TVs, choose either of the following two options:

>> 4:3 Pan Scan (wide-screen programming is cropped to fill your screen).

>> 4:3 Letterbox (wide-screen programming will appear in its entirety with black bands on the top and bottom of the TV screen).

For wide-screen TVs, choose 16:9.

Step 3: Set Picture Resolution from DVR Box to TV

The next setting is referred to as Y Pb Pr OUTPUT and indicates the picture resolution output from the DVR box to your TV. The choices are 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

For most standard TVs, the appropriate setting is 480i. Choose 480p for enhanced definition TVs. For HDTVs, choose either 720p or 1080i. Refer to your TV owner’s manual and choose the setting that indicates the highest picture resolution your television will support.

Step 4: Set 4:3 Override

This setting provides the ability to specify how 4:3 standard definition programs are displayed on your TV. The choices are OFF, 480i, 480p, or stretch.
For most standard TVs, this should be set to OFF (the DVR will default to the resolution selected in the previous setting).
For HDTVs, the appropriate setting is either 480i, 480p, or stretch. If you have a wide-screen TV and select the stretch setting, 4:3 programs will automatically be stretched to a wide-screen 16:9 aspect ratio and display video in the format you specified in Step 3. Consult your HDTV owner’s manual to determine the appropriate setting

Step 5: Save Your Settings

Press the Power button on your DVR or your remote to exit the menu and save your settings.

*If the on-screen menu does not appear on your TV screen, your TV may not support the default setting. Use the DVR front panel LED to view and change your settings.Use the up and down arrows to navigate categories and the left and right arrows to navigate within categories.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation