Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

How do I activate a single cable outlet in a house that already has working Comcast?

New Poster

How do I activate a single cable outlet in a house that already has working Comcast?

Everyroom in the house with a cable outlet is activated, except for two. One of them is in a bedroom, and I want to activate it. I have a TV and small cable box already hooked up, but cable has not been activated for that room so I do not get anything. 

I've tried calling customer service that's "open 24/7" but was told they were closed and did not get to talk to anyone.

I've also tried "chatting with an agent", but cannot use the chat reply box in mobile or desktop, rendering this service utterly useless.

Can I call Comcast and have them activate it remotely? Do I need an appointment for some guy to do it for me? Can I do it myself with a splitter (whatever the heck that is)? If I kick a puppy hard enough will it start to work?

Cable Expert

Re: How do I activate a single cable outlet in a house that already has working Comca

The inside wiring in the home is owned by the homeowner and you can add or connect outlets as you need as long as it's under industry best practices and that the person is capable of putting on the coax connectors and connecting everything up.

You can get a 4-way splitter and connect up the remaining coax, or find a friend that is capable.  Usually a 2-way is connected first, and one leg goes to the cable modem.  The remaining leg feeds a 2nd splitter to feed the TV outlets, either another 2-way or 4-way depending on how many outlets need to be live.    Make sure you snug up all connectors when you attach them.

It can't be done remotely, it's a hands on project to activate the jacks in a home.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

Re: How do I activate a single cable outlet in a house that already has working Comca

First you need to know if the wiring in the bedroom is active or not.  The problem may be with the box you are putting in the bedroom.

Take a box that works in another room and hook it up in the bedroom.  If it works, then the original box you were trying to put in the bedroom is either bad or just needs to be activated.  Each box is activated separately.  If the known good box doesn't work in the bedroom, but works in other rooms, then the wiring in the bedroom needs to be connected.  To connect the wiring someone has to physically do the work.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation