Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

HDMI not working on brand new cable box

New Poster

HDMI not working on brand new cable box

Since all the threads I've seen regarding issues like this get sent to new threads whenever someone else adds their problems, I'll go ahead and start this as a new thread. I've searched. About three days ago we upgraded our box from an SD to an HD box, as we've had an HD TV for a while now and didn't bother getting around to upgrading our box until we moved two weeks ago. It's been half a week, a dozen box activations with and without customer support, and one $30 service call later, and our problem still isn't fixed. It's not the first issue we've had with comcast and certainly won't be the last, but I won't go into that right now. Suffice to say, we've been on the verge of simply cancelling our service for a year now, but always decide to give comcast the benefit of the doubt.

Here's what we've done so far with this issue, and the results it's gotten us.

Day One:

Get home with the Brand new HD cable box and plugged it in using the supplied HDMI cable and turn it on -> Cable box turns on and displays the blue bars of the guide, but nothing on it.

Go through the online activation for the box 2X -> Box doesn't respond (Activation guide said the box would turn off and possibly back on)

Call the support number on the activation guide. The very polite young man has us go through several steps of Unplugging everything and then replugging it all back in. He sends activation signal 2X -> No change, still just the blue bars of the menu screen

After mentioning that the cable goes through a splitter because of our high-speed internet, csr recommends plugging the box straight into the walk jack for the coaxial. WE do this and he sends us another signal -> Box turns off, then back on, still just the blue bars of the guide.

CSR sends several more signals -> Box responds as previous the first few times, but after a couple of activations we suddenly lose the blue menu bar.

CSR attempts to activate again, we unplug everything, replug it back in, sends more signals -> Box continues to respond to the code, but no more appearances of the blue menu bar or any picture or sound at all.

CSR decides at this point there's nothing else he can do sets up an appointment. Informs us that sadly the can't get anyone out until the 25th, says he'll make some calls -> Finds a tech who said he can be out here on the 14th.

Day 2:

Not a lot happened on this day. I would randomly check the cable box just to make sure it hadn't started magically working ->Surprise! magic doesn't exist in our world

Day 3:

Tech comes out on the early side of our window (A first!)

Tech comes in, spends about 15 minutes fiddling with things -> Suddenly everything works, sort of. we have picture and sound, but everything is displaying in 480i in a little box in the middle of my screen

Tech says 'Oh, you have to set the HD zoom on your tv remote to fill the screen' -> This logic is flawed because our TV switches itself automatically when a valid connection is made. This is made evident by the fact that both our pc and Xbox automatically switch to HD when plugged in through the HDMI.

Tech assures us that it's fixed and that's all we have to do, tries hd channels -> HD channels display, but in 4:3 in 480i

Tech Leaves

HD channels suddenly stop working five minutes after tech leaves. We go to on demand and play something in HD from HBO ->  Movie plays but in 480i 4:3

I check the back of the cable box -> HDMI cable isn't even plugged in. WE find that tech unplugged HDMI and ran coaxial from the box to the TV to get picture to display. Of course there wouldn't be HD coming off coaxial. I get suspicious.

I plug in a brand new HDMI cable to box and TV -> Nada. No picture, no sound, no blue bars

I check all HDMI cables in house in PC, Xbox, and cable box, each one tested on each of the 3 inputs on the TV -> All cables work fine in 1080p on Xbox and PC. None of the cables work on cable box.

I try the RCA cables that the old cable box used to run through -> Signal comes through fine on cable box, though still at 480i 4:3 ratio (To be expected)

Came here, searched issue with HD, found several fixes I hoped would work, including hitting the menu button with the box off -> The options for 16:9 are set, but where it says resolution it says 480i and is greyed out, won't let me change anything aside from CC and Aspect ratio

So that's where I'm at now. Brand spankin new HD cable box that refuses to do anything in HD. It's definately not the TV, def not the HDMI connectors and the box will work, just as long as you use coax or the old RCA. With the channel setup on my tv I can even get the whole thing to work with the box on standby, just not in HD or through the HDMI port. I'm out of options now and am really starting to get fed up. Comcast has been nothing but trouble in the almost 3 years I've lived here.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: HDMI not working on brand new cable box

HD service has not been coded correctly to your account. Comcast has been having great difficulty with that lately.

Keep calling back until you reach someone who knows how to properly set up your HD service.

Official Employee

Apologies for the issue that you described above. I have opened a ticket on your account with our WA team so that we can get this further investigated and resolved. Someone from our WA team will reach out to you directly for next steps. Thanks for your patience.  

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I am also having this issue

Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee

bertie99 wrote:

I am also having this issue

Apologies for the issue that you described above. In reviewing your account, it appears that this issue was recently resolved. If that is not the case, please let me know. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

AktivX wrote:

Since all the threads I've seen regarding issues like this get sent to new threads whenever someone else adds their problems, I'll go ahead and start this as a new thread. I've searched. About three days ago we upgraded our box from an SD to an HD box, as we've had an HD TV for a while now and didn't bother getting around to upgrading our box until we moved two weeks ago. It's been half a week, a dozen box activations with and without customer support, and one $30 service call later, and our problem still isn't fixed. It's not the first issue we've had with comcast and certainly won't be the last, but I won't go into that right now. Suffice to say, we've been on the verge of simply cancelling our service for a year now, but always decide to give comcast the benefit of the doubt.

Here's what we've done so far with this issue, and the results it's gotten us.

Day One:

Get home with the Brand new HD cable box and plugged it in using the supplied HDMI cable and turn it on -> Cable box turns on and displays the blue bars of the guide, but nothing on it.

Go through the online activation for the box 2X -> Box doesn't respond (Activation guide said the box would turn off and possibly back on)

Call the support number on the activation guide. The very polite young man has us go through several steps of Unplugging everything and then replugging it all back in. He sends activation signal 2X -> No change, still just the blue bars of the menu screen

After mentioning that the cable goes through a splitter because of our high-speed internet, csr recommends plugging the box straight into the walk jack for the coaxial. WE do this and he sends us another signal -> Box turns off, then back on, still just the blue bars of the guide.

CSR sends several more signals -> Box responds as previous the first few times, but after a couple of activations we suddenly lose the blue menu bar.

CSR attempts to activate again, we unplug everything, replug it back in, sends more signals -> Box continues to respond to the code, but no more appearances of the blue menu bar or any picture or sound at all.

CSR decides at this point there's nothing else he can do sets up an appointment. Informs us that sadly the can't get anyone out until the 25th, says he'll make some calls -> Finds a tech who said he can be out here on the 14th.

Day 2:

Not a lot happened on this day. I would randomly check the cable box just to make sure it hadn't started magically working ->Surprise! magic doesn't exist in our world

Day 3:

Tech comes out on the early side of our window (A first!)

Tech comes in, spends about 15 minutes fiddling with things -> Suddenly everything works, sort of. we have picture and sound, but everything is displaying in 480i in a little box in the middle of my screen

Tech says 'Oh, you have to set the HD zoom on your tv remote to fill the screen' -> This logic is flawed because our TV switches itself automatically when a valid connection is made. This is made evident by the fact that both our pc and Xbox automatically switch to HD when plugged in through the HDMI.

Tech assures us that it's fixed and that's all we have to do, tries hd channels -> HD channels display, but in 4:3 in 480i

Tech Leaves

HD channels suddenly stop working five minutes after tech leaves. We go to on demand and play something in HD from HBO ->  Movie plays but in 480i 4:3

I check the back of the cable box -> HDMI cable isn't even plugged in. WE find that tech unplugged HDMI and ran coaxial from the box to the TV to get picture to display. Of course there wouldn't be HD coming off coaxial. I get suspicious.

I plug in a brand new HDMI cable to box and TV -> Nada. No picture, no sound, no blue bars

I check all HDMI cables in house in PC, Xbox, and cable box, each one tested on each of the 3 inputs on the TV -> All cables work fine in 1080p on Xbox and PC. None of the cables work on cable box.

I try the RCA cables that the old cable box used to run through -> Signal comes through fine on cable box, though still at 480i 4:3 ratio (To be expected)

Came here, searched issue with HD, found several fixes I hoped would work, including hitting the menu button with the box off -> The options for 16:9 are set, but where it says resolution it says 480i and is greyed out, won't let me change anything aside from CC and Aspect ratio

So that's where I'm at now. Brand spankin new HD cable box that refuses to do anything in HD. It's definately not the TV, def not the HDMI connectors and the box will work, just as long as you use coax or the old RCA. With the channel setup on my tv I can even get the whole thing to work with the box on standby, just not in HD or through the HDMI port. I'm out of options now and am really starting to get fed up. Comcast has been nothing but trouble in the almost 3 years I've lived here.

Apologies for the issue that you described above. In reviewing your account, it appears that this issue was recently resolved. If that is not the case, please let me know. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation