Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

HDHomeRun Prime Unable to Play DRM Channels

New Poster

HDHomeRun Prime Unable to Play DRM Channels

Just installed an HDHomerun Prime and transferred the cablecard over from my old Tivo. The rep was able to successfully move the card over to the HDHomerun, but no DRM channels are working (HBO et al.) - throwing a generic "Unable to play channel" message in the HDHomerun app.

Any ideas? Cablecard rep says that they have sent all signals they know of, and now wants to roll a truck. This same card was working flawlessly for all channels when in the Tivo.

New Poster

Re: HDHomeRun Prime Unable to Play DRM Channels

Ugh, after researching realized that all the Mac Apps (iOS and MacOS) for HDHomerun do not support DRM channels, bummer as Windows supposedly does.

Problem Solver

Re: HDHomeRun Prime Unable to Play DRM Channels

What Windows version are you using?

With Widows 7 you have to use Windows Media Center to view channels with DRM content.

With Windows 8 (Professional only) you could had to optionally download Windows Media Center to do this.

With Windows 10 you are out of luck because Windows Media Center is no longer supported.

I have a Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 and have a Comcast CableCARD in it.

When I used Windows 7 and Windows Media Center I could watch all the channels including the ones with the DRM flag.

When I moved the WinTV DCR-2650 to my new computer with Windows 10 I had to use the Hauppauge WinTV application since Windows Media Center was not an option. I too was annoyed because any channel with the DRM flag was not watchable.

Silicon Dust has the HDHomeRun DVR service. They say they may add the ability to watch DRM channels at some future date. Don't hold your breath on that.

Forum Changes:
Open Wifi Hotspots Northeast Division... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation