Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

New Poster

Let's make a deal

I'll not post any more junk on your website here and even buy ANOTHER box (just got your robo call threatening me that I need to buy a new box or my service 'may not work'.  You guys related to the mob by any chance?), stop popping junk messages up on my TV.  

Thanks.

Tags (4)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: HD Enhanced Program

iGuide is not discontinued, but Comcast will no longer be actively upgrading it. It will mainly just be maintained. There are way too many older SD boxes that still need it, and not everyone likes some of the features you lose with X1 (native resolution, swapping tuners.)

Official Employee

MikeWolf wrote:

From what I was told by the Xfinity manager, Comcast is really pushing the X1. I was told that the only equipment being offered to customers will be the X1, with one of the reasons mentioned that the iGuide (blue guide) is discontinued. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set-tops/m-p/2767305#.... So I'm suprised that customers are being sent non X1 equipment.

Just to clarify - our legacy guide is not being "discontinued" and will continue to be supported. We are not making any significant updates or feature enhancements to that on-screen guide or platform.

If a customer would like a non-X1 set top (for whatever reason), we can and have arranged to get those customers a compatible MPEG-4 legacy device (DCX or RNG models are MPEG-4 compatible). 

Of course, we would certainly prefer that our customers have X1. Our customers that have X1 are more satisfied customers.

It's a product that is contantly being updated with innovative features and integrated apps. More info on X1 here: http://www.xfinity.com/x1-experience

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Official Employee

Re: The new Cable Boxes.

MikeWolf wrote:

jweaver0312 wrote:

I just got the channel 1995 today, but it says not authorized, I have RNG150, RNG150N, and the SA HDC4250. So I guess Comcast is getting ready to do it in New Jersey.

I spoke to an Xfinity store manager and was told that Comcast is rolling out MPEG4 in the Garden State market first, then the Ocean County market next. Garden State market is in beta test and Ocean County system is in alpha test. It should all be completed by the end of Q4. One of the benefits of MPEG4, according to the store manager, is that it will help with Comcast delivering of 4K UHD content, as well as when they release the wireless set top boxes. According to the manager there will be an abundance of emails and letters and television commercials leading up to the complete rollout. I'm hoping some kindhearted Comcast employees can verify this schedule, steps and procedures?

Some good information in the first post of this thread, re-posted below: 

What is the program:

The HD Enhanced Program is an initiative to exchange older model HD equipment in a customer's home with a newer model. We are swapping out several models of MPEG-2 set-top boxes across the Comcast footprint. These boxes are replaced with MPEG-4-capable boxes in order to provide XFINITY TV customers with an HD-enhanced experience.

What’s happening: We are beginning to migrate HD channels to a new format that enhances the viewing experience by providing customers with better picture quality.

How we will contact you: Letters, emails, TV Alerts. If you don’t hear from us you are all set.

Important things to note:

There is no charge to replace your boxes via Self Install Kit- we’ll ship it for free and installing it is easy.

You bill with not go up- we aren’t adding any services- simply swapping out an old box for a new box

Not all boxes in your home need to be swapped- check Channel 1995 to see which ones

You can return your old boxes at UPS Store (simply bring the boxes in- no box or label required) or Xfinity Service Center. Or, if you have someone come to your house to install, they will take the boxes with them.

How do you know if you need to swap: If you don’t get a letter from us, you are all set. If you want to double check, go to Channel 1995

How to get the alerts to stop:  We are contacting you to make sure you don’t lose access to HD Channels. If you want to turn off the alerts please see the below. Please note- the alerts will not appear, but you still need to exchange your box.

1. Press the Menubutton on your remote control.
  2. Highlight Main Menuand press OK.
  3. Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Interactive TVand press OK.
  4. Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Notificationsand press OK.
  5. Scroll down to Service Notifications, then use the rightor left arrow keys to turn them On or Off.

Availability: The program is not occurring in all markets. Please tune to Channel 1995 to see if swap options are available for you.   If you don't see the channel or see a blackscreen, please wait until you receive a letter with your information on this when this is happening in your area. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Valued Contributor

Re: The new Cable Boxes.

See here's the confusion, another Comcast employee I spoke to on here this morning said " All customers, regardless of current equipment, will receive a letter notifying them to call us or go to Channel 1995." but you're saying that only customers with incompatible equipment would be contacted and if they aren't then they're good to go. So which is it?  From reading all these posts over the past year, where customers are having issues with ordering equipment multiple times that never arrive after waiting a month, having billing issues, getting equipment that isn't compatible with their setup, or getting equipment that is beat up, it just seems to be that it'd be simplier to just go to a local service center and do the swap in person. Granted, I know that for many customers those service centers are not convienantly located and may require driving quite a distance, but it does seem to be the best solution as to avoid those aformentioned problems and headaches.

Regular Contributor

FAUguy wrote:
Any news on the Deerfield/Pompano Beach FL area for MPEG-4?

So earlier this week the Internet service was down. After I noticed my Netgear CM600 had 20 bonded channels instead of 16. Now today I see that channel 1995 is on my three DCX boxes.  How do we know if MP4 is now active here,  and which channels are using it? 

Silver Problem Solver

If the channels just appeared, you probably have a month or two. The easiest way is to just watch a non-sport, non-broadcast HD channel for awhile and see how big the buffer gets (hit DAY+ to pop up the timebar without pausing.) If the buffer goes back over an hour (typically up to 1:20-1:30) it's most likely MPEG4.

Regular Contributor

andyross wrote:

If the channels just appeared, you probably have a month or two. The easiest way is to just watch a non-sport, non-broadcast HD channel for awhile and see how big the buffer gets (hit DAY+ to pop up the timebar without pausing.) If the buffer goes back over an hour (typically up to 1:20-1:30) it's most likely MPEG4.

On my DCX3400M box,  I've always had about 2.5hr SD live buffer,  and 20-40 min HD buffer (depending on the HD channel). 

Regular Contributor

I don't know why it won't let me edit the below post.

a friend of mine on the west  coast has had channel 1995 for a while and can get some HD channel buffers of over an hour. So I would guess those are on MP4. 

It would be nice to know in the service menu for the  box if a channel was being sent as mp2 or mp4, but it only shows the SNR and the tuned frequency,  not the encoding method.  

Valued Contributor

I just want to add that on the X1, I get an hour of live buffer on both HD and SD MPEG2, and on the TiVo, I get 30 minutes of live buffer on both HD and SD MPEG2. Looking forward to seeing if this changes with MPEG4.

Regular Contributor

FAUguy wrote:

I don't know why it won't let me edit the below post.

a friend of mine on the west  coast has had channel 1995 for a while and can get some HD channel buffers of over an hour. So I would guess those are on MP4. 

It would be nice to know in the service menu for the  box if a channel was being sent as mp2 or mp4, but it only shows the SNR and the tuned frequency,  not the encoding method.  

This is what it shows on my Guide:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4b8351i5e778a4l/20160910_033928.jpg?dl=0

When I tune to channel 1995, it starts by showing this black screen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4rzod7f8andfle/20160910_034048.jpg?dl=0

And then after a few seconds goes to this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5ytltrgodb9llk/20160910_033943.jpg?dl=0

I tried a few HD channels today to see how long their buffers would go, and the max was 40 min, most at 25-30 min, so no change yet that I can tell.

Valued Contributor

So all three pictures are of your DCX3400M I assume?

Regular Contributor

MikeWolf wrote:

So all three pictures are of your DCX3400M I assume?

Yes,  I took those images with the DCX3400M DVR box, but it is the same with the two node DCX3200M boxes as well. 

Valued Contributor

Very cool. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to when this comes to my market. Wish Comcast would hurry up. Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Re: Let's make a deal

mpalotas wrote:

I'll not post any more junk on your website here and even buy ANOTHER box (just got your robo call threatening me that I need to buy a new box or my service 'may not work'.  You guys related to the mob by any chance?), stop popping junk messages up on my TV.  

Thanks.

Apologies for the experience that you described above. Some good information in the first post of this thread, re-posted below:

What is the program:
The equipment exchange is an initiative to exchange older model HD equipment in a customer's home with a newer model. We are swapping out several models of MPEG-2 set-top boxes across the Comcast footprint. These boxes are replaced with MPEG-4-capable boxes in order to provide XFINITY TV customers with an HD-enhanced experience.

What’s happening: We are beginning to migrate HD channels to a new format that enhances the viewing experience by providing customers with better picture quality.

How we will contact you: Letters, emails, TV Alerts. If you don’t hear from us you are all set.

There is no charge to replace your boxes via Self Install Kit- we’ll ship it for free and installing it is easy.
You bill with not go up beacuse of this - we aren’t adding any services- simply swapping out an old box for a new box
Not all boxes in your home need to be swapped- check Channel 1995 to see which ones
You can return your old boxes at UPS Store (simply bring the boxes in- no box or label required) or Xfinity Service Center. Or, if you have someone come to your house to install, they will take the boxes with them.

How do you know if you need to swap: If you don’t get a letter from us, you are all set. If you want to double check, go to Channel 1995

How to get the alerts to stop: We are contacting you to make sure you don’t lose access to HD Channels. If you want to turn off the alerts please see the below. Please note- the alerts will not appear, but you still need to exchange your box.

Press the Menu button on your remote control.
Highlight Main Menu and press OK.
Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Interactive TV and press OK.
Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Notifications and press OK.
Scroll down to Service Notifications, then use the right or left arrow keys to turn them On or Off.

Availability: The program is not occurring in all markets. Please tune to Channel 1995 to see if swap options are available for you. If you don't see the channel or see a blackscreen, please wait until you receive a letter with your information on this when this is happening in your area.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

Re: Let's make a deal

Any update on MPEG4 rolling out in the Northeast part of PA?

Problem Solver

Re: HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

ComcastFrancisc wrote:

HI All, recently there have been a lot of questions regarding this an as a result I decided to make this post.

What is the program:

The HD Equipment Swap Program is an initiative to exchange older model HD equipment in a customer's home with a newer model. We are swapping out several models of MPEG-2 set-top boxes across the Comcast footprint. These boxes are replaced with MPEG-4-capable boxes in order to provide XFINITY TV customers with an HD-enhanced experience.

You bill with not go up- we aren’t adding any services- simply swapping out an old box for a new box

How to get the alerts to stop:  We are contacting you to make sure you don’t lose access to HD Channels. If you want to turn off the alerts please see the below. Please note- the alerts will not appear, but you still need to exchange your box.

1. Press the Menu button on your remote control.
  2. Highlight Main Menu and press OK.
  3. Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Interactive TV and press OK.
  4. Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Notifications and press OK.
  5. Scroll down to Service Notifications, then use the right or left arrow keys to turn them On or Off.

Availability: The program is not occurring in all markets. Please tune to Channel 1995 to see if swap options are available for you.   If you don't see the channel or see a blackscreen, please wait until you receive a letter with your information on this when this is happening in your area. 

Hi, I have a few of questions about this program. Just got my Channel 1995 authorized in the Garden State Market. Went to it on my need to be upgraded box, it says you guys will send X1 boxes to upgrade the whole house to X1, I have 4 boxes 1 SA4250HDC, 2 RNG150, and 1 RNG150N. Is this true that you guys would send out boxes to replace all of the boxes with X1? Also, would it still be the same $9.95 per box per month fee for renting the boxes from you guys? Also, is the one-time upgrade to X1 for current customers fee waived during this period?

Regular Visitor

HDMI

Silver Problem Solver

jweaver0312 wrote:

Hi, I have a few of questions about this program. Just got my Channel 1995 authorized in the Garden State Market. Went to it on my need to be upgraded box, it says you guys will send X1 boxes to upgrade the whole house to X1, I have 4 boxes 1 SA4250HDC, 2 RNG150, and 1 RNG150N. Is this true that you guys would send out boxes to replace all of the boxes with X1? Also, would it still be the same $9.95 per box per month fee for renting the boxes from you guys? Also, is the one-time upgrade to X1 for current customers fee waived during this period?

You don't have to upgrade to X1 if you don't want to, despite the very heavy push to do so. You may still need to upgrade older boxes to support MPEG4.

Problem Solver

andyross wrote:

jweaver0312 wrote:

You don't have to upgrade to X1 if you don't want to, despite the very heavy push to do so. You may still need to upgrade older boxes to support MPEG4.

I know. I was considering X1 just so I can the newest of the new instead of staying with RNG150 and RNG150N being the only reason my questions came up, to help me consider it and to verify what channel 1995 is saying is true about a whole home upgrade. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi Mr. Weaver ---

Why couldn't Comcast post information on its website regarding which channels have been converted to mpeg-4 for each service area? Or would that take too much time away from IT staff who are tasked with embedding advertisements in every nook and cranny of the xfinity website?
Problem Solver

Sadly I do not know. Since I don't work for Comcast I won't even know which channels it will happen to. It would be nice to know because if the channels I will lose on the box are the ones I don't care about then I would do nothing. All I know is that the HD stations staying at the current should be local stations. I was hearing something about some sports stations may remain too. Which ones you may ask? I'm not sure. I wish they would say it in the letter and/or emails I should be getting soon.
Silver Problem Solver

I doubt there will ever by any official report on what channels will or won't be MPEG4. Some of it may be up to agreement with the various media companies. I'd guess even local broadcast and the sports channels would eventually convert if the conversion is shown to not adversely affect them. Odds are, they will probably be less compressed and delayed compared to the normal channels. As it is, most of them are only 2 HD per QAM for MPEG2, versus the 4 that standard cable channels are normally set up.

Valued Contributor

jweaver0312 wrote:
Sadly I do not know. Since I don't work for Comcast I won't even know which channels it will happen to. It would be nice to know because if the channels I will lose on the box are the ones I don't care about then I would do nothing. All I know is that the HD stations staying at the current should be local stations. I was hearing something about some sports stations may remain too. Which ones you may ask? I'm not sure. I wish they would say it in the letter and/or emails I should be getting soon.

If you watch any HD channels, you'll be losing them if you don't upgrade to new equipment. Comcast isn't picking and choosing which HD channels will be switched to MPEG4 and which will stay MPEG2, it's all of them, over a slow rollout, several at a time, until they're all switched over. Local broadcast stations, such as CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, CW, PBS in your market is unknown, but I wouldn't count on them staying MPEG2. Are you saying you only watch those channels? From what I've been told, the garden state market this should be starting sometime in November, unless schedules change. It's recommended to swap out you're equipment ahead of time so you  aren't affected when the changover begins. Unless I'm mistaken, the equipment you listed are not DVR's. Getting X1 will require you to pay at least the DVR fee, which I think is $10 per DVR. Getting one X1 DVR gives you six tuners and recording capabilities, and then you can get three client X1 boxes.

I have one X1 DVR and one cablecard, and I'm only paying $9.95 once for the HD tech fee, so I'm not sure Comcast is going to charge you the HD tech fee for each box. I'd strongly recommend contacting the customer retention department so they can go over your options.

Problem Solver

No I do not have any DVR services nor do I want DVR but I know I can still get X1 without DVR. I was just wondering since the current fee for additional outlets for tv in my triple play are $9.95 per additional outlet per month if that would stay the same along with channel 1995 saying I can have the whole house upgraded also just wondering I won't be slammed with an X1 upgrade fee. As far as I heard of Garden State is supposed to be the first market doing it but I guess they are trying to give me time to switch equipment before anything actually happens. I have the highest package that doesn't include DVR. The old HD Preferred Plus before CC stopped offering it for new customers. My plan is where the HD tech fee is included but only one box is included and then I have to pay $9.95 per box per month additional. Also according to earlier posts I shouldn't get charged for additional services such as the DVR fee because I don't subscribe to or need DVR.
Valued Contributor

Being able to get X1 without DVR service is news to me. I'd definitely recommend contacting customer retention with these questions. I, along with many others I've spoken to, have had huge success with that department when getting bills lowered, upgrading service, and getting accurate information. When I upgraded my service, that department was very helpful, even waived my upgrade fee.

The schedule I was given for the Garden State system was notices for the MPEG4 rollout started on the 9/15 and the changes are expected to start around 11/14. Of course, like anything with Comcast, this is subject to change without notice. In any case, I wish you success in your adventure. Smiley Happy

Problem Solver

I always knew it was possible without DVR. Not all plans include DVR yet all of them include the X1 equipment.
Problem Solver

Can I receive either a PM or reply from a Comcast employee over the questions I posted earlier?
Regular Contributor

I'm personally staying with my DCX3400M DVR and two DDCX3200M nodes, as I installed a 2TB expander drive on it last year. The only way I would change to an X1 DVR is if the internal drive was larger,  or they allowed the use of an external expander.

Even with my DCX3400M box,  there is no way to tell if any HD channels are now MPEG4, as it has been a few weeks since channel 1995 showed up.  

Regular Contributor

One more try...Any update on MPEG4 rolling out in the Northeast part of PA?

Regular Visitor

Now what's?

I ordered a replacement for my SA STB and yesterday a big box showed up with an X1 box, a satellite box, and a new modem/router

All I wanted was the new replacement for the SA box. 

Can I return all this and just get what I need? Or, am I forced to go to X1?

Problem Solver

I thought you needed a Tech to set up an X1 box.

Sounds like a huge mess up though.

Service Expert

jerrywagner wrote:

Now what's?

I ordered a replacement for my SA STB and yesterday a big box showed up with an X1 box, a satellite box, and a new modem/router

All I wanted was the new replacement for the SA box. 

Can I return all this and just get what I need? Or, am I forced to go to X1?

Yes, you can return the equipment as X1 is a user's CHOICE to upgrade to wherein the MPEG4 upgrade is mandatory.  The Agent may have not understood your situation and sent the X1 product by mistake.   Call back and explain what hapened and request the MPEG4 upgrade be resent to you.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Service Expert

Pharrell wrote:

I thought you needed a Tech to set up an X1 box.

Sounds like a huge mess up though.

No, the X1 product is available as a SIK, but I would reccomend anyone upgrading to X1 to have a TECH install the product due to its more stringent signal requirements.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Valued Contributor

For doing self installs make sure you pick up a MoCA POE filter. Comcast is supposed to send someone out to install it, but that rarely happens. No you are not forced to get X1...for now.

Valued Contributor

FAUguy wrote:

I'm personally staying with my DCX3400M DVR and two DDCX3200M nodes, as I installed a 2TB expander drive on it last year. The only way I would change to an X1 DVR is if the internal drive was larger,  or they allowed the use of an external expander.

Even with my DCX3400M box,  there is no way to tell if any HD channels are now MPEG4, as it has been a few weeks since channel 1995 showed up.  

Slow rollout of the MPEG4 channel switch. Probably over a period of a month or two.

Regular Contributor

So with process of MPEG4 starting now on the Garden State, NJ system and should be completed by 11/15/2016, how long will it take to see New HD channels added??? Also why is thread backwards and starts with most recent post on page 1?

Valued Contributor

Regarding the order fo the thread: Sign in, then under the thread title, click "options" and choose "oldest to newest" so the oldest posts begin on page 1. My thought is maybe the reason why the newest posts show up in the front when not logged in or by default when logged in is so that those looking for answers will see the most recent information as soon as they go to the thread?

I'm also from New Jersey, and was told that Garden State and my market are on essentially the same schedule. From a schedule I was given the first wave of MPEG4 channels starts on 11/14.

Contributor

tstack wrote:

So with process of MPEG4 starting now on the Garden State, NJ system and should be completed by 11/15/2016, how long will it take to see New HD channels added??? Also why is thread backwards and starts with most recent post on page 1?

I'm in the Chicago area, where the transition finished months ago... no new HD channels have been added.

Frequent Visitor

Can anyone tell me which channels have been converted to MP4 in the Olympia, WA service area? Is that considered to be part of the Seattle service area? I can't find any that are MP4, but the transition was supposed to start in late August.
Silver Problem Solver

mclandauer wrote:

tstack wrote:

I'm in the Chicago area, where the transition finished months ago... no new HD channels have been added.

Here in the NW suburbs, they did add Sportsman and Outdoor in HD.

Contributor

Mike are you able access your dvr's via you're PC. I too am keeping my 3400's I have 5 but xfinity/CC changed the guide to accomadate X1 box owners,  they did it to me here in SE Mi. and I can't access my DVR's remotally anymore, I call CC and was told they were working on it, it, being me getting back my old guide that I used to get to my DVR on demand etc...I do not want to give up my 3400's ans was quite happy with my set up.

Your thoughts.....

Valued Contributor

I'm not sure if I'm the "Mike" you're asking, and I apologize if I'm not, but I'm not having any issues accessing my X1 recordings here in NJ from my PC or from the Xfinity TV app.
Official Employee
Moved:

Regular Contributor

Just a heads up in the MP4 Conversion Thread...

It appears that once the change to MP4 occurs, Comcast is taking it a step further and DOWNCONVERTING 1080i/30 channels (not locals) to 720p/60.

The reason, so they can fit 9 720p HD channels per frequency block instead of 8 1080i channels!

So far, people that have seen this happened are saying there is a definite degradation in the picture quality, as the image looks fuzzy instead of sharp and clear.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Resolution-of-HBO-HD-and-other-hd-channels-changed-from-...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/1080i-channels-are-being-changed-to-720p60-channels/m-p/...

This has yet to happen in my area of South FL/Pompano, but when it does, if I'm no longer happy with the image, then I'm going with someone else for TV and just keeping Comcast for internet and phone.

Frequent Visitor

I can finally confirm, after many weeks of anticipation and no specific information forthcoming from Comcast, that the conversion to MPEG-4 is underway in the Seattle area (I am in Olympia) I chose to record the 3td and final Clinton-Trump debate on MSNBC and discovered that not only is it MPEG-4, but that the picture resolution has been downgraded to 1280 X 720 at 59.94 fps. Until very recently, Comcast had been streaming MSNBC in MPEG-2 in 1920 X 1080 at 29.97 fps. I find this DOWNGRADE IN PICTURE QUALITY to be disturbing and disappointing. I do not know how many other channels besides MSNBC have been flipped to MPEG-4 so far, but I assume that many, if not all, will be DOWNGRADED as well in this process. Comcast has been promoting this whole effort as an "upgrade" because it will allow them to pack more channels into the pipe, but be aware that this will be happening at the expense of picture quality.
Contributor

Also, you'll find audio sync is off on some of the converted channels. 707 is an example here in the Bay Area.
Contributor

What l'm seeing on the internet sites is that they are saying 720p performs better than 1080i. 720p is displays full picture while 1080i does not. So comcast is doing as good I think by increasing the frame rate motion to 60. Right now the motion doesn't look good. So espn looks good on 720p while cbs, nbc, pixalate with their 1080i interlaced broadcast on fast action sports. Fox channels are on 720p but don't look as good because the reason I think they are on mpeg2 while espn broadcasts on mpeg4 that must make a difference. So even on your smartphone when you change the frame rate from 30 to 60 you will notice great motion picture. I can't wait to se how 60 framerate in a second will look on tv, it should look much smoother. Onother example when I watch mtv live which is 1080i I notice pixelation on fast moving image again 1080i fails in my olinion. But still picture may look good while fast moving action does not.
Contributor

720p is better than 1080i, while 1080p is better than 720p and 1080i. I like to see 1080p.
Contributor

Only better if you are viewing those resolutions from the native source. If CBS is native 1080i, then Comcast transcodes to 720p, then the TV you use upscales to 1080p or worse, 2160p, then you are viewing some degraded content.