New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 351 of 525

Thanks for this additional information.  The manual for my HDTV suggests that it may be able to handle an MPEG4 signal on the cable card input since it says that that is a supported format on other inputs such as the network connection (if I am lucky),

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 352 of 525
Posted by
Contributor

Message 353 of 525

Any update on the rollout status in the Bay Area? Still TBD?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 354 of 525

Hello Cydeweyz,

It is still TBD in the Bay Area. If you have any more questions or concerns please reach back out.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Contributor

Message 355 of 525

Ok. I was trying to hold out for the rollover to see if it fixed my issue, but luckily I was able to get an appointment for a tech today. Doubt the tech will be able to fix the issue completely though, but nice that I won't have to wait days or weeks for an attempt to fix. Hopefully the MP4 changeover will fully resolve the problem. I've been slowly losing channels to a lost signal V52 error on my Tivo Premier. It's to the point that I'm missing a fair amount of channels, and when my kids can't watch Sprout in HD, I've lost the waiting game. Here's my list of HD channels I can no longer access after about two years- 

706 707 709 715 717 742 764 765 770 773 783 804 805 806 810 813 814 815 822

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 356 of 525

Hi Cydeweyz-

I see that your technician's visit has been completed. Are you still experiencing the missing channels?

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 357 of 525

I went from having alot of HD channels missing to having every SD and HD channel missing. I have to say in the end, I have all channels back! Amazing experience with Xfinity today. Got an appointment the same day with the tech arriving within an hour of chatting with a rep to having that tech try everything he could to get my channels back. It was a losing battle for him though once he took the motorola signal booster out of the  loop. Every tech that has come to my house has always said I don't need it, and when I lived in San Francisco, I didn't. This house for some reason requires it. The tech almost left with me having no cable TV service at all, but I asked him to connect the signal booster back. To our amazement, every channel including the missing HD channels appeared. It was beautiful sight Smiley Happy So in about 2-3 hours of contacting support, my cable service is whole again. Completely satisfied. It was a good day.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 358 of 525

Cydeweyz-

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been resolved to your satisfaction. Please do not hesitate to reach back out us with any further questions or concerns.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 359 of 525

Don't know the box number, just got it a couple of months ago from Comcast.

I've fiddled with the settings, slight improvement at most. Best results so far with maximum shades of black (plasma TV), 1080p. But let me be clear that "Best results" = poor. Compression artifact is very apparent. Like a jpeg on maximum compression, and with a layer of gauze on top.

I get better viewing by using firestick to HBOgo. Then it's fair.

How can I get back to what I had?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 360 of 525

Hello mayddjk,

I am more than happy to address the poor reception you are experiencing on your box. Do you currently have RCA Colored Cables or a HDMI cable plugged into the box?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 361 of 525

Hello,

About a month ago, I recieved a letter mentioning to "Check your equipment -- an update may be required", mentioning the conversion to MPEG-4.

At the bottom of the letter it says "Replace incompatible equipment by 6/27/16 to avoid losing your HD channels.

What I'm wondering is did the coversion take place or was it post poned?

If the conversion did take place, is there a place to get which channels was converted, since I'm hearing not all channels are converted.

Thanks

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 362 of 525

The conversion is not immediate. It may be a week or two before it happens. You'll probably see some non-broadcast and non-sports HD channels with no video, but still have audio, if your box is not compatible.

Usually, you should try to tune into channel 1995 on all of your boxes. It will tell if you that box is compatible or not.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 363 of 525

I'm using a cable card.  When I switch to channel 1995, I see three white dots that seem to pulse back & forth, and for some reason I cannot find anything that said what that meant

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 364 of 525

TheMayor00 wrote:

I'm using a cable card.  When I switch to channel 1995, I see three white dots that seem to pulse back & forth, and for some reason I cannot find anything that said what that meant

That channel is only for Comcast boxes. Exactly what cable card device are you using? You will need to check the specs or contact the manufacturer to see if they support MPEG4 on cable.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 365 of 525

I continue to get the irritating and by now obnoxious Service Aleret messages about how Comcast is "improving" it's network and that I am to tune to 1995.  OK, I've done that on my HD capable boxes and found that two are OK as is and one needs to be replaced.  Over a month ago I asked to have the new box shipped and I would install it.  Still no box to install.  Sadly, I continue to get the same message multiple times per day.  How can I kill these messages?  I am once again wishing that I had a meaningful alternative to Comcast for TV reception.  If I had a choice I would have dumped you folks long ago.  WHy would I call "tech support"? Most of the techs are clueless and unable to help.

Is there anything short of getting Dish TV that will resolve this?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 366 of 525

Any update for when South Jersey (Garden State system) will channel 1995 added for being ready for MPEG-4?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 367 of 525

Hello tstack,

There is no update as of yet. Please continue to check this thread, any new information will appear here.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 368 of 525

Can anyone confirm if the Samsung GX-SM530CF compatible with the new HD Enhanced Program. I could not find any information elsewhere. I am thinking of getting one but want to make sure I can get all my HD channels. Thanks a lot. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 369 of 525

You can stop by your local Comcast office and swap out the box, bring the remote with.  Any DCT or DCH series boxes (silver box) will need replacing.

Find your local Comcast office at this link.

https://customer.xfinity.com/service-center-locations

You can also call into Comcast at 1-800-266-2278 and they will ship you one.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 370 of 525

Tricky. Since it's also a streamer, it may support MPEG4 with cable input.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 371 of 525
Any news on the Deerfield/Pompano Beach FL area for MPEG-4?
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 372 of 525

Does any Comcast cable system have MPEG 4 on the following channels?

ESPN

ESPN 2

NBA TV

MLB network

NFL network

ESPN U

that have already migrated to enhanced HD.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 373 of 525

Hi Walber -- Apologies for the delay in getting a replacement box. I have placed an order for the correct box. It will arrive in the next couple days and there will be no cost to have it sent. I am also sending a return kit with prepaid label for your current box. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 374 of 525

Zach or Jenn-

Are you able to confirm if any channels have migrated yet to MPEG-4 in Seattle? The date was 6/27 - but curious if any have been switched yet that I may be able to check.

Thank you!

Matt

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 375 of 525

Not yet. Looking at late August now.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 376 of 525

vucuong7276 wrote:

Can anyone confirm if the Samsung GX-SM530CF compatible with the new HD Enhanced Program. I could not find any information elsewhere. I am thinking of getting one but want to make sure I can get all my HD channels.  

According to its specifications sheet at http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/gx/sm/53/gxsm530cfxaa/HT_GX_SM530CF_SpecSheet_R02.... , it does look like it can handle MPEG-4 encoded video:

"VIDEO FILES DECODING FORMATS

MPEG-1/2/4, DivX HD, MKV, WMV, JPEG

Posted by
New Poster
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 377 of 525

That's what I figured as well. Anyway, I bought one and plugged in, now most HD local channels are fine, but from 720 and up, I get the message: "Scrambled channel or weak signal". The same message appears for channels below 700 like my favorite 677 and 429 (BeinSports). I have subscription for those channels and when plugging in the X1 box, all those channels run just fine. What does "Scrambled channel" mean? Is it like locked and I have to call Xfinity to unlock?

PS: Nevermind, the cable card was locked.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 378 of 525

Pac 12 just came on HD in my area and is in MPEG 4

It  boggles my mind that a channel like NFL network is not yet the Redzone channel is.

How is that possible?

a channel that is only good for 8 hours a week for four months.

compared to a 24 hour channel about the same sport that offers full Preseason games and some regular season games every week during the season.

also it's a crime ESPN and ESPN 2 aren't in the the  program

ESPN ESPN 2 have almost every sport

yet Cartoon network is in the program

Digusting.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 379 of 525

ComcastJenn wrote:

Not yet. Looking at late August now.

Is Olympia considered to be part of "Seattle", so your answer applies there as well?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 380 of 525
Ok. It appears the MP4 conversion has started and I'm losing some channels to a V53 error on my TiVo. HGTV 746 and FXX 803 and HLN 774 are the ones I care about now. OWN 820 works, but that channel isn't important to me. My TiVo Premier is supposed to work with MP4, so this must be a cable card configuration issue. I got the list from an avsforum post-

"San Francisco, CA - Comcast
It's finally happening. Current H.264 channel list-

734 A&EHD
742 ESQHD
746 HGTVD
751 APHD
754 VELOC
758 HSTWD
774 HLNHD
775 WGNAM
803 FXXHD
816 SZHDw
820 OWNHD
823 PAC12"
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 381 of 525

Enjoy! Bay area

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 382 of 525

ComcastJenn: Does "late August" apply to Olympia area, as well?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 383 of 525

Can one of the above Comcast techs determine if my service location (Eugene, Oregon 97404) is MPEG2 or MPEG4? I've gotten conflicting answers from Comcast's telephone tech support. Is there a way I can find out by looking at the data in the "account & system info" on my Tivo Roamio Pro? I'm asking because:

As of a few weeks ago, I can view but not record most of my premium channels on my Tivo Roamio Pro. I called Tivo and was told that this is a known problem with their Tivo Roamio and Bolt DVR's and the new MPEG-4 format that Comcast is rolling out and they are working with Comcast to fix this issue but have no idea when it will be resolved. I then called Comcast to see if I had recently been updated to MPEG-4 and was told that my area was still MPEG-2. The Comcast tech then checked my account and cable card and said that there were a number of wrong permissions that may have been caused by a bad auto update and that the problems should be fixed with a new update that he was sending to my box. He said to wait an hour then check and it should be fixed. If not fixed, reboot my DVR and that should take care of the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. I again called Comcast and, after a cable card tech resent another update with all the correct permissions that didn't help, I was transferred to another general tech support person. This tech first told me that I can’t record premium channels on my Tivo and to use my X1 DVR. After I told him I had been recording all my premium channels on my Tivo DVR for the last two years, he then said I needed to go to my local Comcast office and exchange my cable card for a new one. During our conversation I asked three times to speak with a supervisor and he kept insisting that he could help me. I then asked him to check if my area was still MPEG-2 or had been updated to MPEG-4. After being put on hold again for a long time, he said that my area was updated to MPEG-4.

Since the first Comcast Tech seemed much more knowledgeable and was sure I had NOT been updated to MPEG-4, it would be most helpful if an official Comcast support person monitoring this site would check to see if my area is still MPEG-2 or has been upgraded recently to MPEG-4. If upgraded, I will just have to wait until Tivo and Comcast come up with a fix, but if I'm still MPEG-2 I need to call Tivo back to check other reasons and solutions to my problem.

Just for clarification of my problem - up until a few weeks ago I was able to watch and record all my premium channels on both my X1 and Tivo Roamio Pro DVR’s. I can now still watch and record all these channels on my X1 DVR but, while I can still watch all these channels on my Tivo DVR, the only premium channel I can record on it is the main HD HBO channel - HBOHDP. I can watch but not record - HBO2PHD, HBOSPHD, MAXPHD, SHOWHDP, SHO2PHD, and TMCHDP. (There may be other premium channels affected but these are the only ones I watch and record and are on my current list of channels I have showing on my on screen channel guide.) I can still watch and record all the other non-premium channels.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 384 of 525

I received a letter in the snail-mail stating I "...might eventually lose HD Channels." and I have to upgrade "...by 9/2/16 to keep your favorite HD Channels."

What channels "might" I lose if I do not upgrade?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 385 of 525

You do not need to upgrade to X1. You just need a newer cable box that supports MPEG4, which is a more efficient digital format. Comcast can cram 10 HD channels per frequency versus 4 with the older MPEG2. In most areas, you can tune to channel 1995 and it will you know if your box is compatible or not. Also, the newer boxes are faster, and may have more DVR storage (500G vs 120-160G). The software is the same iGuide. Any recordings and series scheduled recordings will NOT transfer to the new box. Watch any recordings, and write down your series list before replacing your box.

As for what you will lose, you would lose most all HD channels other than local broadcast and maybe some sports.

If you do not have a cable box, but something like a Tivo or other 3rd party tuner, then you need to check with the manufacturer to find out if it supports MPEG4 for cable tuning.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 386 of 525

I'm an X1 user and don't see channel 1995 which means the conversion is not complete yet. If you're an X1 user, will the update be sent to the system or will X1 users need to swap the equipment again to receive MPEG 4?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 387 of 525

Thanks for the info. The comcast letter is confusing because it says with the upgrade I'll get Xfinity X1 (leading me to assume it is X1).

I'd rather not get X1 mainly because I will lose my expandable drive which is currently 1 TB plus the DVR space. Being as I run over 60% filled in my current set-up, I'd like more than the 500GB the X1 DVR offers. Plus they got rid of the "swap" feature. Last and Swap are totally different, and I use swap a lot. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 388 of 525

RadTV wrote:

I'm an X1 user and don't see channel 1995 which means the conversion is not complete yet. If you're an X1 user, will the update be sent to the system or will X1 users need to swap the equipment again to receive MPEG 4?

All X1, RNG & DCX series equipment is MPEG4 compatable.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 389 of 525

I should add that you will also lose any recordings on your external drive. It is encrypted and specifically tied to each cable box. I'm also not sure if the DCX series, required for MPEG4, supports external drives or not.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 390 of 525

I did upgrade to X1 last year and found out the new boxes (at that time) did not support external drives. So I returned the box. Fortunately, I never returned my current box and just kept using it so I can keep my expanded drive. Comcast said if I wanted more space, I could just rent more DVRs. Gee, thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. 

I can't figure out the reasoning behind allowing you to record more shows, but give you less space to store them. That seems counter intutative in my mind. I use 60% or more of more than a TB with recording just two channels, how much room will I need if I can record 5-6 channels at once?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 391 of 525

Our (TV and receiver)equiptment does not support the new box so we will remain with the equitpment that we already have. It works just fine.

We cant seem to get rid of the annoying "upgrade" messages that continually appear on screen.

2 very long phone calls have not solved the problem.(flicking channels sometimes clears it)

Any ideas?

Or any way to convert "HDMI in" to "component video out"

Many thanks

C

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 392 of 525

carynd wrote:

Our (TV and receiver)equiptment does not support the new box so we will remain with the equitpment that we already have. It works just fine.

We cant seem to get rid of the annoying "upgrade" messages that continually appear on screen.

2 very long phone calls have not solved the problem.(flicking channels sometimes clears it)

Any ideas?

Or any way to convert "HDMI in" to "component video out"

Many thanks

C

You don't need to get X1 equipment. But we do need to swap your equipment for a cable box that can support MPEG4 which is how we will be delivering HD content going forward. 

All X1, RNG & DCX series equipment is MPEG4 compatible. We can get you a non-X1 box (that has component video outputs), but we do need to swap your box or you will no longer receive certain channels. 

You can arrange that swap by following the instructions on the screen or stop by the service center listed below:

35 Resnik Road

Plymouth, MA 02360

MONDAY-THURSDAY: 8:00am-5:00pm
FRIDAY: 8:00am-6:00pm
SATURDAY: 9:00am-1:00pm
SUNDAY: closed

How to get the alerts to stop: We are contacting you to make sure you don’t lose access to HD Channels. If you want to turn off the alerts please see the below. Please note- the alerts will not appear, but you still need to exchange your box.

Press the Menu button on your remote control.
Highlight Main Menu and press OK.
Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Interactive TV and press OK.
Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Notifications and press OK.
Scroll down to Service Notifications, then use the rightor left arrow keys to turn them On or Off.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 393 of 525

I have a legacy Motorola DVR in SF, Ca. We are being encouraged to go to X1.  

Not just for the features but because we "will lose HD channels" we currently enjoy. Is that true? If so what channels will we lose? We may not even watch them. 

How owe can I find out?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 394 of 525

You do not need to change to X1, although it sounds like Comcast is implying that. You may need to replace older boxes with newer ones that support MPEG4 compression. You would lose most all HD other than local broadcast and some sports channels. You get audio, but no video.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 395 of 525

I just got the channel 1995 today, but it says not authorized, I have RNG150, RNG150N, and the SA HDC4250. So I guess Comcast is getting ready to do it in New Jersey.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 396 of 525

I'm in Houston and just got the same letter, except I have until October 26 to upgrade. On my current DVR I tuned to channel 1995 as instructed and ordered the upgrade kit. However I also have two other TVs that use an HD DTA adapter. Those cannot be tuned to 1995 (or any 4-digit number). Will those still work after the cut-off date?

Also, which X1 DVR will I receive? There appears to be one made by Arris and another made by Pace. I'm wondering about the outputs because I'm currently using the component output from my old DVR to my projector.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 397 of 525

kbriggs wrote:

I'm in Houston and just got the same letter, except I have until October 26 to upgrade. On my current DVR I tuned to channel 1995 as instructed and ordered the upgrade kit. However I also have two other TVs that use an HD DTA adapter. Those cannot be tuned to 1995 (or any 4-digit number). Will those still work after the cut-off date?

Also, which X1 DVR will I receive? There appears to be one made by Arris and another made by Pace. I'm wondering about the outputs because I'm currently using the component output from my old DVR to my projector.

HD-DTA's handle MPEG4 just fine.  There is no way to find out what X1 equipment you will receive on the forum.   You will have to upgrade to x1, otherwise you should receive a RNG or DCX series legacy box, not x1.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 398 of 525

I have an old Tivo Hd that only will work in HD-Enhanced is not in my area.  It does not work with MPEG-4.

How do I know if my area has that service yet.  I want to use this box but want to be sure before I get the box if it will just cause me issues right now.

I live in Boca Raton Florida (Southern Palm Beach County)

Thanks for any help.  I tried googling for current places that it would and would not work but did not have any luck.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 399 of 525

jweaver0312 wrote:

I just got the channel 1995 today, but it says not authorized, I have RNG150, RNG150N, and the SA HDC4250. So I guess Comcast is getting ready to do it in New Jersey.

I spoke to an Xfinity store manager and was told that Comcast is rolling out MPEG4 in the Garden State market first, then the Ocean County market next. Garden State market is in beta test and Ocean County system is in alpha test. It should all be completed by the end of Q4. One of the benefits of MPEG4, according to the store manager, is that it will help with Comcast delivering of 4K UHD content, as well as when they release the wireless set top boxes. According to the manager there will be an abundance of emails and letters and television commercials leading up to the complete rollout. I'm hoping some kindhearted Comcast employees can verify this schedule, steps and procedures?

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 400 of 525

From what I was told by the Xfinity manager, Comcast is really pushing the X1. I was told that the only equipment being offered to customers will be the X1, with one of the reasons mentioned that the iGuide (blue guide) is discontinued. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Bundled-Guide-release-A31-Motorola-set-tops/m-p/2767305#.... So I'm suprised that customers are being sent non X1 equipment.