Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

New Poster

Will this continue to work: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 + CETON InfiniTV 4 card + CableCard + Windows Media Center

I didn't see much info if this specific combination will continue to work, given that Microsoft is not maintaining WMC anymore. I know the CableCards are MPEG4 compatible already. Is the Ceton InfiniTV 4 card as well as the WMC as installed in Win10Ult/SP1 also MPEG4 compatible? Does anyone know for sure based on experience?

Admin1

Re: Will this continue to work: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 + CETON InfiniTV 4 card + CableCard + Wind...

You should contact that company directly for that answer. 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: Will this continue to work: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 + CETON InfiniTV 4 card + CableCard + Wind...

Thanks, Zach. I guess I was posing my question to the community at large, someone who is actually using this combination at home and has gone through the MPEG2-to-MPEG4 change Comcast is doing.

Admin1

Understood. With how specific your question is, you might get a quicker answer through the company though. Hopefully if anyone has gone through that combination you have will post their experience. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Cable Expert

Your probably better off at the Green Button.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Regular Contributor

So after this MPEG4 has taken place in some areas already what New Channels has Comcast added to your channel lineup?
Silver Problem Solver

In the Chicago area, they seem to have added HD versions of BEIN Sports and 2 other Spanish language sports channels.

New Poster

I

I have accessed channel 1995 on each of my hi-def TV boxes...each one of them say that I don't need to do anything because my current equipment is up-to-date.  And, yet, about once every half hour I get that reminder message across my television screen.  It is absolutely annoying.  I'm in Springfield IL and have four hi-def boxes.  Please help!!

Most Valued Poster

Re: HD Enhanced Program: Someone needs to be held accountable for such a pitiful rollout!

ComcastJenn wrote:

If there is a particular market of interest I can defintiley give an estimate if I have it!

Vermont?  Specifically 05651.

Thank you.  TR

Official Employee

Re: I

Hi there- I see 6 boxes on your account. The last box (it is a silver box) is the one triggering the alerts 3 times a day. For this program, if you have a box that needs to be swapped, it will pop on all TVs.

1. RNG150
  2. RNG110 (4)
  3. DCH3200

If you don't have a silver box in your house, you can follow these instructions to remove the alerts.

Turn TV Alerts On or Off

1. Press the Menu button on your remote control.
  2. Highlight Main Menu, and press OK.
  3. Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Interactive TV and press OK.
  4. Using the arrow keys on your remote, highlight Notifications and press OK.
  5. Scroll down to Service Notifications, and then use the right or left arrow keys to turn notifications On orOff.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Re: HD Enhanced Program

What's the rollout status for San Francisco (94158)? It looks like everything is still MPEG-2 here. Smiley Sad

Official Employee

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

ComcastJenn wrote:

How about Vermont specifiically 05651?  I asked 10 days ago on post 757 and still have not recieved an answer.

It would be nice for Comcast to do a better job of keep us in the loop about something so major as an upgrade in the way programming is delivered to us.  We pay a lot of money each month for our services and to be kept up to date on changes and modifications is really not too much to ask for.  

Regular Visitor

TiredRetired wrote:

ComcastJenn wrote:

How about Vermont specifiically 05651?  I asked 10 days ago on post 757 and still have not recieved an answer.

It would be nice for Comcast to do a better job of keep us in the loop about something so major as an upgrade in the way programming is delivered to us.  We pay a lot of money each month for our services and to be kept up to date on changes and modifications is really not too much to ask for.  

Yea, don't count on Comcast to communicate anything other than how much money they want from you.  I returned boxes to them 2+ weeks ago and I'm still waiting for them to be removed from my account. Spent nearly an hour on the phone with them, exchanged multiple emails, provided them with copies of the receipt from UPS, email from Comcast acknowledging the return had been initiated & proof of delivery.  Last communication was, "please call us back so we can find a solution for this" - here's a solution: I shipped your equipment to you & you received that equipment, now credit my account accordingly.  End of story.  There isn't anything to discuss. Thats why I was hesitant to ship anything back to them rather than picked up by an  actual person. Its too easy for them to stall around just like they're doing

Contributor

TBD until when? I'm hoping the mpeg4 conversion returns some of my channel dropouts.
Silver Problem Solver

jstarke66 wrote:

TiredRetired wrote:

ComcastJenn wrote:

Yea, don't count on Comcast to communicate anything other than how much money they want from you.  I returned boxes to them 2+ weeks ago and I'm still waiting for them to be removed from my account. Spent nearly an hour on the phone with them, exchanged multiple emails, provided them with copies of the receipt from UPS, email from Comcast acknowledging the return had been initiated & proof of delivery.  Last communication was, "please call us back so we can find a solution for this" - here's a solution: I shipped your equipment to you & you received that equipment, now credit my account accordingly.  End of story.  There isn't anything to discuss. Thats why I was hesitant to ship anything back to them rather than picked up by an  actual person. Its too easy for them to stall around just like they're doing

You may want to try the Comcast Direct forum on Broadband Reports. They did clean things up. That said, it took about 4 weeks to get an official mail stating that it had been received and credited. I got one mail about it being processed within a few days of shipping. It was a month later until I got the mail about receiving it.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

Official Employee

We aren't sure yet, but you'll certainly get a notice from us if you are a customer that is impacted by this change. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

ComcastJenn-

Is there a date still for Seattle? A few months back a May date had been given.

Thanks. 

Problem Solver

Hello SeattleJeepMatt,

The roll out date for the Seattle Market is still undetermined. Once a date is set a notice will be sent to all customers in your area.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Is Houston, TX still undetermined too or is there a date for it now?

Frequent Visitor

Can I get an official confirmation that the rollout is in progress/nearly-complete in my area (north suburban Chicago)? I’ve been slowly losing my HD channels over the last four weeks (a few channels every week), but apparently I wasn’t notified about it because I don’t actually have any Comcast HD boxes. Instead, I have CableCards in a Tivo Series3, which needs to be upgraded.

I know my Tivo eventually needs to be upgraded, but I’d just like a confirmation that the HD Enhanced Program is the reason I’ve been losing my HD channels, before I jump into an upgrade.

Problem Solver

Hello BrianSalter,

Thank you for posting your question. The HD Enhanced program is available in your area(Houston, Texas). You can go to channel 1995 to order new equipment. For further detail regarding the program, please review the previous post by Comcast Francisco.  

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Cable Expert

mdy1 wrote:

Can I get an official confirmation that the rollout is in progress/nearly-complete in my area (north suburban Chicago)? I’ve been slowly losing my HD channels over the last four weeks (a few channels every week), but apparently I wasn’t notified about it because I don’t actually have any Comcast HD boxes. Instead, I have CableCards in a Tivo Series3, which needs to be upgraded.

I know my Tivo eventually needs to be upgraded, but I’d just like a confirmation that the HD Enhanced Program is the reason I’ve been losing my HD channels, before I jump into an upgrade.

I can confirm it, at least 47 HD channels have been moved to MPEG 4, just on digital starter, not counting any preferred channels.  Series 3 Tivo's are not capable of MPEG 4 HD.  You should have received a snail mail letter from Comcast back in the winter.  It seems on cable channels, only sports channels are still on MPEG2 right now.  The Chicago network stations are also staying MPEG 2 for now.

Time to upgrade to a Bolt or Roamio, contact Tivo if they are still offering special pricing.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

I just got all new equipment recently as I moved back to Comcast for my tv service. I did the self-install today but if I try to tune to 1995, nothing is shown. Meaning, there is no such channel on my boxes.

I am in a Houston zip code so I should be part of the program, right?

Problem Solver

Hello mdy1,

Thank you for posting your question. The HD Enhanced program is available in your area (Northbrook, IL). You can tune in to channel 1995 to order new equipment. For further detail regarding this program, please see the initial post on this thread.  If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  I'm going to order a Bolt before the introductory pricing ends.

Problem Solver

Is ESPN ever gonna be MPEG-4? Smiley Sad so central california got migrated in november and its april now so i guess espn espn 2 nfl network nba tv mlb network and nbcsn and espn u are gonna stay in mpeg2 for the forseeable future. Those are much of the stations i watch bummer.
Regular Contributor

Any word for Garden State, NJ system? Summer or Fall?

Problem Solver

Is ESPN and the rest of the sports channels gonna be migrated to MPEG 4? for central california or is not planned at this time?

Problem Solver

Re: The new Cable Boxes.

no one cares about your Enhanced HD program MPEG 2 is just fine with me stop acting like MPEG 4 is something great when it's not.

buy a better tv and stop complaining.

Regular Contributor

Pharrell wrote:

no one cares about your Enhanced HD program MPEG 2 is just fine with me stop acting like MPEG 4 is something great when it's not.

buy a better tv and stop complaining.

Your post makes no sense.  Makes me think you have no clue what you're even talking about.  A new TV has nothing to do with anything.

Problem Solver

I asked a question about MPEG 4 and didn't get an answer by the mods or any employees for entire week I wanted to know if ESPN was ever gonna turn to MPEG 4 so I was just raging funny how your post contributes nothing and you bash me while I just made a post adding to a topic and it got removed for unhelpful. I pay for my services and have a huge package so respect me.

Regular Contributor

Good Morning Pharrell,

I definitely understand your frustration. We currently do not have an estimated time frame on when those channels will migrate to MPEG 4. We regularly examine our channel lineups and talk with a wide range of programmers to ensure that we are bringing the content that our customers want the most. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

Okay thank you

Official Employee

You'll be notified when we start the program in Houston, TX. Nothing you need to do at this time.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Comcast Jenn-

Noticed on some other forums users in the Seattle,WA area have stated they've received letters stating the MPEG-4 conversion is set to hit the area by the end of June. Any confirm?

Official Employee

Hey SeattleJeepMatt- That is correct! We started notifying impacted customers in Seattle and the conversion is targeted for the end of June, but that date is subject to change.

If you are a customer that needs to take action due to the upgrade, you will receive a letter from us shortly.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Silver Problem Solver

I should add that, especially if you have an older DCT series DVR, get the upgrade now! The new box is so much faster. The extra storage is also nice, although in my case, I never really filled up my old 120G box, and have only once hit 10% on the new one (500G). Also, use DVR Manager online to print out your series list so you can recreate it with the new box. It is not transferred over.

That said, if you get something like a DCX-3400M (or RNGxxxN), make sure to install a MoCA filter. That will prevent issues if somebody else near you forgets to add theirs, and the boxes start talking. I had an issue for a week where the box slowed down dramatically. Looking in the diagnostics, I saw that MoCA had been enabled. After installing the filter, it disabled itself after a few days.

(MoCA - Multimedia over Cable Alliance allows boxes to talk to each other using frequencies above the normal cable channels. It's used by the old 'Anyroom' service, and X1, for the remote boxes to access the DVR's recordings. The filter blocks those frequencies from leaking out of, or into, your home or apartment.)

New Poster

Hi,

What channel(s) on Comcast Seattle are currently in mpeg4 format so I can test my cable-card tuner?

Thanks.

Steve

Silver Problem Solver

MPEG4 typically won't show up until after the due date. That said, here in the Chicago suburbs, OWN-HD was MPEG4 before we were offically moved over. On my old box, I had audio, but no video.

Frequent Visitor

Hi Comcast Jenn:

I have been looking for, but not finding, any information published by Comcast to describe the benefits to the customer of the conversion to MPEG-4 format for Comcast's HDTV signals.   Could you please provide that information?

Thanks,

Dan Steinborn

Regular Visitor

I've had the new box for about a month and I want my old one back. The new box makes the formerly awful stations better, but now none are good. HBO for example is now just plain blurry. How do I get my old box back?

Cable Expert

mayddjk wrote:

I've had the new box for about a month and I want my old one back. The new box makes the formerly awful stations better, but now none are good. HBO for example is now just plain blurry. How do I get my old box back?

Post the model of your new box.  You issue is not the box, but the settings.  The picture quality between the old DCT and new box should be the same.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Silver Problem Solver

dsteinborn wrote:

Hi Comcast Jenn:

I have been looking for, but not finding, any information published by Comcast to describe the benefits to the customer of the conversion to MPEG-4 format for Comcast's HDTV signals.   Could you please provide that information?

Thanks,

Dan Steinborn

Comcast has been fuzzy about exactly what benefits there will be. For the most part, the extra bandwdith will mostly be used for DOCSIS 3.1 (Internet). In the future, 'linear' TV will mostly disappear except for a small core, and most channels will probably be some form of IPTV (an individual stream direct to your box.)

Frequent Visitor

I am in the Seattle area and currently have a Motorola DCH 3416 cable box with a WD My Book AV eSata 1 Tb external hard drive attached.  When I upgrade will I still be able to use the external hard drive?

Silver Problem Solver

I'm not sure if the drive itself will still work, but even if it does, the data on it will NOT transfer over. The data is encrypted and tied to a specific cable box. Also, you will be going from 160G to probably 500G, so maybe will not need the expansion.

Frequent Visitor

I realize the data won't transfer but I really like having the extra storage not to mention I don't like having a useless hard drive on my hands.

Valued Contributor

dsteinborn wrote:

According to Comcast's HD Enhanced Program webpage http://www.xfinity.com/hdenhanced , it says:

With our HD Enhanced Program, we're improving the way we deliver HD channels and paving the way for more HD options, faster internet speeds and Cloud TV.

It also states that:

Your new cable box features advanced technology that offers you:

Up to 3X more DVR storage

Better TV Picture Quality

As andyross stated before, this move to MPEG-4 compression will free up spectrum space, and the extra bandwdith will be mostly used for implementing DOCSIS 3.1 (Gigabit Internet) service.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this link.  It would seem that Comcast is telling us as little as possible about what we would actually see on our HD televisions.  For example it doesn't tell us whether it would allow the system to deliver UHD signals if they were to become available from content providers.  The special channel to check to see if your systems are ready for the HD Enhanced signal only works with Comcast boxes.   If you happen to have a cable card equipped television (Sharp and Pioneer both USED to make them), it does nothing.  You need to search in the TV's users manual to determine whether the TV will handle MPEG-4 signals.

Just as a side note, the "Cable Card" was supposed to be the way that consumers could free themselves of the burden of be forced to rent a set top box.  Unfortunately, the last manufacturer to make TVs with cable card "slots" (Pioneer) stopped offering them with its 2007 model year.  So consumers only choice was which manufacturer's box you are going to use (your providers or a third party box like TIVO).

Cable Expert

UHD would probably not be carried by a MPEG 4 channel, as UHD runs on HVEC / H.265 compression.

Most, if not all, cable card TV's would not be capable of MPEG 4 as only MPEG 2 was the TV standard when those old TV's were built, just like older Tivo's.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon