Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 251 of 521

Good news for anyone w/a TiVo HD or Tivo HD XL.  Today, I stumbled across a recent change at https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Comcast-Transitioning-to-MPEG4-in-Select-Markets.

"TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL: TiVo has implemented a software update which will bring MPEG-4 capability to TiVo HD DVRs. Active HD/HDXL customers can expect this update sometime during the week of 1/17/16."

Yay!  (I'm in the SF Bay Area) I have a TiVo HD w/lifetime subscription and use CableCARD w/Comcast.  Previously, I was out of luck and would've had to upgrade to a Romio or Bolt.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 252 of 521

Interested in hearing what sort of timeline the metro-Detroit area is on. Looking forward to going MPEG-4 to free up some bandwidth for DOCSIS 3.1!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 253 of 521
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 254 of 521

Not sure if this was posted before, but would like to know exactly what comes in the self install kit for this replacement. I know it'll probably be a DCX series box, but wonder about accessories? What remote comes with it (gray remote or one of those new X series remotes?) Any cables? What condition do the boxes seem to be? Do they look new or properly refursbished, or something grabbed from a pile in a cockroach infested warehouse?

PS: Why is this no longer a pinned thread?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 255 of 521

What about Houston TX we have channel 1995 will we be upgraded this year?

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 256 of 521

cwerdna wrote:

Good news for anyone w/a TiVo HD or Tivo HD XL.  Today, I stumbled across a recent change at https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Comcast-Transitioning-to-MPEG4-in-Select-Markets.

"TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL: TiVo has implemented a software update which will bring MPEG-4 capability to TiVo HD DVRs. Active HD/HDXL customers can expect this update sometime during the week of 1/17/16."

Yay!  (I'm in the SF Bay Area) I have a TiVo HD w/lifetime subscription and use CableCARD w/Comcast.  Previously, I was out of luck and would've had to upgrade to a Romio or Bolt.

My series 3 Tivo HD got the update and is now receiving the MPEG4 channel.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 257 of 521

@andyross

I ordered through Channel 1995 and after only 3 days received an obviously well-used DCX3400-M box with a 500GB drive via UPS.  I have to give them credit for the prompt shipment, but the unit was dirty and dented on the top and the front panel is all scratched up.  There are 2 lengths of new coax cables included and a new HDMI cable, as well as one of the new XR2 remotes.  I suppose it's understandable that Comcast would try to recycle used boxes, but it's disappointing that there seemed to be no attempt to even clean the thing before shipping it. 

Unless my old "silver" remote still works with the DCX3400-M, I'll be looking to try to change the new remote, since it seems to be missing buttons (Day+ and -, for example).  I'm thinking that the DCX3400-M might need the gray/platinum remote (anyone know the answer?)

I'm not going to install the new box until after the Super Bowl (!), but I'll update this after I try.  Let's hope it works! 

I'm also interested in attaching the 1TB eSATA external drive that I'm now using with my old DCT6412 III/120GB, but I read conflicting reports about how well it will work, and the DCX3400-M is not on the "supported" list for external hard drives.  But I guess as channels migrate to MPEG-4, the recording space required per hour should go down, so maybe I won't need it.   But I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Update 2/24/16

Well, I finally installed the DCX3400-M, and everything was working fine (old remote still working, external 1TB eSATA drive working), except that after a couple of days, the DVR's cooling fan started chirping like a bunch of crickets!  Not surprising, given how dusty and dirty it looked.  Perhaps recycling those old boxes is not such a good idea after all!

I eventually called up support and asked them to send a replacement DVR.  The box arrived today -- but it was a RNG110 set-top box, not a DVR!  So on the phone again to order another replacement and back to the Xfinity store to turn in the RNG110.  I guess we'll have to live with the crickets for a few more days. 

Update 2/29/16

So the second replacement box arrived afer just 2 days and this time it's a RNG200N DVR (newer and smaller than the DCX3400-M).  It's also obviously previously-used, but not quite so dirty and scratched as the DCX3400-M.  I installed and activated it today, and so far, so good (no fan noise!).  My old "silver" remote still works and so does my 1TB eSATA external drive, so I'm finally pretty happy!

Update 3/1/16

Well, I guess I spoke too soon!  This morning I turned on the TV and there was a message that said: "The use of external drives is not authorized with your account.  Please disconnect the external drive and contact your provider".  No TV channels were available to watch, but I checked downstream and OOB signal levels and all looked OK.  I disconnected the drive and tried "re-activating" the box from the website, and this brought back the TV channels.  But connecting the drive again produced the same error message.

I called support, and the first person I talked to tried to tell me I had an X1 box (I don't), so that’s why the external drive is not supported!  I eventually got to a supervisor, and he changed something on the account and rebooted the box from his end. Now the external drive is working again.  The whole phone support process took about an hour, but at least they fixed it without having to send a technician out, which they threatened to do a couple of times.  I just hope the same thing doesn't happen tomorrow morning.  Perhaps we can blame it all on yesterday's "leap day"!

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 258 of 521
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 259 of 521

Looks like some channels in Salt Lake have rolled over and they look great. Any idea when the rest will go? Specifically the regional sports networks?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 260 of 521
Jay, is there any objective evidence that mpeg4 delivers better picture quality than mpeg2? That would be impressive considering the bitrate is lower.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 10 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 261 of 521
"Setting file size aside when considering the better format, MPEG2 wins hands-down, as it provides a far superior image quality. The difference in quality is minor when viewing the files through a tiny screen, like those installed in mobile phones and even netbooks, but when it comes to large displays, like most current HDTV displays, you can clearly notice the difference in the final picture. We can attribute this to the amount of data lost, since both MPEG2 and MPEG4 are compression methods that lose data. MPEG4 simply discards more information, which results in poorer picture."

Read more: Difference Between MPEG2 and MPEG4 | Difference Between | MPEG2 vs MPEG4

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-mpeg2-and-mpeg4/#ixzz3zpFKe0Dj
Posted by
Visitor

Message 262 of 521

We live in the Spokane Valley.  How much will the fee be to have a tech come and install the new box?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 263 of 521

One of our set top boxes said it needed replacing, so we followed the on-screen instructions to order a new box.

We received 2 boxes; 1 larger cable box and 1 smaller one.  Both have the X1 platform and the voice remote.

3 questions: 

1: Why did we receive 2 new boxes?

2. Why do those 2 TVs now have the X1 platform?

3: How will this affect our bill?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 264 of 521

Come to think of it, all of our NON-HD boxes said "good to go" also!  Very strange.

Posted by
Administrator

Message 265 of 521

RRGreen wrote:

One of our set top boxes said it needed replacing, so we followed the on-screen instructions to order a new box.

We received 2 boxes; 1 larger cable box and 1 smaller one.  Both have the X1 platform and the voice remote.

3 questions: 

1: Why did we receive 2 new boxes?

2. Why do those 2 TVs now have the X1 platform?

3: How will this affect our bill?

HI RRGreen.  "X1 is a whole home solution, so all of your devices are meant to work together, so we sent you both boxes . You can  swap out both of your older boxes and replace them with X1- you’ll love it!

There is no impact to the bill. You may see some pro rates and credits since this is a change outside of your billing cycle."

Thank You

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product; Support; Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 266 of 521

Has the rollout happened? I'm in the SF Bay Area and it was supposed to happen on the 23rd, it appears all HD channels are still in MPEG2. 

I've called TECH Support to confirm which channels would be in MPEG4 and I was told ALL HD CHANNELS. Today is the 24th and so far NONE are in MPEG4.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 267 of 521

I have the same question. Will I loose all my pre-recorded shows?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 268 of 521

jhask wrote:

I have the same question. Will I loose all my pre-recorded shows?

The simple answer is YES, you will lose all your shows when you swap out your DVR. 

On some of the old boxes, it is possible to capture shows using the Firewire port and special software running on a PC, but it's fraught with issues and pretty time consuming (you have to play the show in real time as you capture it), and not really worth the effort.   See here for an ancient guide:

http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/

Posted by
Visitor

Message 269 of 521

So does anyone at Comcast know if this roll out really happened? Letter stated the 23rd, today is the 25th and still 100% of my channels are in MPEG2. 

Please advise.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 270 of 521

What market are you in Ek_1?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 271 of 521

I believe she's referring to the San Francisco Bay Area

Posted by
Administrator

Message 272 of 521

ek_1 wrote:

So does anyone at Comcast know if this roll out really happened? Letter stated the 23rd, today is the 25th and still 100% of my channels are in MPEG2. 

Please advise.

“We’re very excited to migrate the San Francisco market to MPEG4 delivery of our HD channels with even better picture quality. It is on the way, and we hope to have it completed in the next few weeks”

Thank You

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product; Support; Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 273 of 521

Thanks for the update John.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 274 of 521

I turned to 1995 and all i got was the three dots pulsating and nothing else so i take it we aren't getting the enhancements?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 275 of 521

Any update for Comcast of Garden State, NJ (zip 08054)?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 276 of 521

I am in Walnut Creek, CA (zip code 94595 - Rossmoor Retirement Community). I receive my HD cable channels through TiVo Series 3 HDXL and HD DVRs. There has been no change in my ability to receive HD channels. Has the upgrade to MPEG-4 been completed in my location? I need to know as it affects whether I keep or return the TiVo Bolt that I purchased when I received the Comcast notice that the upgrade would happen on or about Feb 23rd..

Posted by
Admin1

Message 277 of 521

pap1 -- You have X1 equipment. X1 equipment comes as MPEG-4 already and does not need to be replaced. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Admin1

Message 278 of 521

tstack -- NJ is not part of the HD Enhanced program. We do not have any tentative dates at this time for if it will be. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Admin1

Message 279 of 521

mpw415 -- The cablecards themselves are unaffected by this, as they are MPEG-4 capable already, however the device they are in must be MPEG-4 compatible as well. I believe Tivo 3 series is not MPEG-4 compatible but it's recommended to check the user manual or contact Tivo to be sure what models have that compatibility. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 280 of 521

I already know about CableCards. My question for Comcast was whether the upgrade to MPEG-4 has happened yet in my area (Rossmoor Retirement Community in Walnut Creek, CA 94595). I have read in the Comcast web site forums that my TiVo HDXL and HD are now campatible with MPEG-4 (the SNs begin with 652 and 658) thanks to a TiVo update.

I wanted to know if the Comcast upgrade had been completed so that I can verfiy that my HD channels have remained viewable.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 281 of 521

It's started for your area but not completed yet. The channel migrations happen in phases. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 282 of 521

I received my new enhanced HD box and installed and activated it.  I have a 55" Samsung smart TV.  The new box enlarges the screen picture so I can no longer see all of the writing on a screen and it cuts off half of the actors heads!  The picture is actually less sharp than before because it is so big and the non-HD channels are even worse.  I have contacted Samsung about altering picture size, but it sems to be correct and they said it is Comcast's fault.  I have called tech service 4 times and they dont know what to do other than to hit the zoom button on the Samsung remote....there is none.  Then they want me to turn off the box but not the TV which I can't do either.  Has anyone had this problem?? What happens if I go back to reinstalling my old cable box?? I hate this new box...and no digital time either!!

Can anyone help???

Itpdx wrote:

it looks like from previous posts that I will need to replace both of our boxes DCH 3200 and DCH 3416 but because I cannot access channel 1995, I have no way of knowing how to do that.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 283 of 521

nancycr -- To set the aspect ratio on your box, follow these steps:

• Power the box off while the TV is on
  • Press and release the Guide button
  • Select TV Type using the Up/Down cursors on the remote
  • Using Right/Left cursors, set TV Type to 16:9

The power button on that box is button furthest on the left on the front display

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 284 of 521

I cannot power off the box without the power going out on the TV. Any ideas on how to do that? 

Posted by
Visitor
Message 285 of 521

The box power button turns off the TV at the same time

Posted by
Visitor

Message 286 of 521

nancycr wrote:

The box power button turns off the TV at the same time

It will if you have the TV plugged into the box. As far as the time goes... Menu, Setup Cable box, and adjust the display to the time instead of current channel. Might not be the exact steps but that is the general idea.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 287 of 521

Turning the box off won't turn your TV off unless it's plugged into the box, as jhask suggested. If that's the case, then plug them into separate sockets. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 288 of 521

Ok - Thank you for the response back.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 289 of 521

Is Jacksonville, FL still on schedule for this month?

Posted by
Admin1

Message 290 of 521

ufdanman -- I don't believe Jacksonville was part of the HD Enhanced program. Were you receiving notifications that it would be? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 291 of 521

Does this response indicate that some ares are never going to get enhanced HD or they are just not on the schedule yet?

Posted by
Admin1

Message 292 of 521

More towards them not being scheduled yet. We've added more areas since this was launched so this does continue to progress into more of the footprint but until a plan is put in place for certain areas, we can't say for sure if they will be part of it or not. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 293 of 521

I was going by what ComcastRollymon wrote on 01/12/2016 message #244 of this thread:

"ufdanman

Jacksonville is scheduled for March 2016 currently.  

Disclaimer: Schedules do change"

Posted by
Admin1

Message 294 of 521

That may have changed then. I couldn't find anything that had any information about Jacksonville. When your area is ready for it, an alert is mailed out 60 days in advance so if you haven't gotten one of those yet then any change isn't happening yet. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 295 of 521

ComcastZach-

I remember seeing that Seattle, WA was on target to begin the "process" in late-February with a May target for the conversion of the channels. Can you state whether that is still the plan?

Thanks!

Posted by
Visitor
Message 296 of 521
I'm not able to tune to the channel. Also, I think some of my boxes have been updated, but not all. How do I find out, and get an updated box if needed?
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 297 of 521

BeachRunner19 wrote:
I'm not able to tune to the channel. Also, I think some of my boxes have been updated, but not all. How do I find out, and get an updated box if needed?

Basically the older larger silver DCT and DCH HD models need replacing.  Anything newer, the black DCX & RNG series do not need replacing.

You can take any old HD box to your local Comcast office for a swap, take the remote with.  Find your closest location here.

http://customer.xfinity.com/service-center-locations

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 298 of 521

BeachRunner19- If you can't tune to the channel, we are probably not in your area yet. That channel is only available in certain locations. If you can confirm where you are, I can check to see if you need to swap out yet. Wouldn't want you to go through exchanging if you don't have to yet!

Thanks

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 299 of 521
Unfortunately, no. Comcast has disabled all boxes from transferring data to other sources due to several issues. The largest being copyright infringement. Think about it. If one could transfer movies to other hard drives(new box), then what's to prevent someone from transferring those movies to a device capable of burning or duplicating the movie. So comcast has disabled this feature on all their hardware. Makes complete sense unfortunately for all of us.
Posted by
Admin1

Message 300 of 521

SeattleJeepMatt -- You have Internet Only so this doesn't affect your service. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.