New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 201 of 525

Hi WB6- no dates for Northern Virginia yet, so you're all set. And you might not even be impacted if you have X1 or MPEG4 capable boxes in your house. The general rule of thumb is the black boxes are good for the upgrade and the silver ones are not. Hope this helps!

You'll know when it starts in your area- we will pop alerts to your TV, Mail, Emails, etc.

Have a great day and Happy New Year!

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 202 of 525

Thanks Jenn.

Pretty sure I'm set on the equipment side. I'm more curious/anxious to see what differences the enhanced HD brings.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 203 of 525

You'll notice way better picture quality!

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 204 of 525

Great news.  I hope they squeeze a few more HD stations in as well!!

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 205 of 525

Post removed for avoiding the nanny filter. Read the forum guidelines before trying to be creative with your post.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 206 of 525

I'm pretty PO'd about this whole thing. I don't care how much better you tell me it is. There's a reason why we haven't upgraded to the X1 box by now -- I have tons of recordings on my DVRs which will be lost forever. TV programs and movies not available on video or online anywhere to stream. Special programs, finales and once in a lifetime showing of movies going back years that will all be gone! I would happily accept the same quality of service I have now, forfeiting your "enhanced HD experience". How could I miss out on something I've ever had? But nope, you're resorting to bullying & threats by removing access to HD content we've had for years unless we upgrade to your new boxes. That is NOT OK. And not only that, but I will also be forced to make a special trip because I'll have three cable boxes to return (not to mention the time I'll have to waste disconnecting and reconnecting new boxes) -- wasted time I don't have to spare (or pay a service rep to upgrade hardware that I don't want but you're forcing me to upgrade? ) You know, I can't wait for Google Fiber to be available in our area. I don't care how much it costs -- it can be 2x as much as Xfinity & I'd switch just to get away from the monopolizing bullies you've become!

(does that satisfy your namny filter? And it's not being creative with my posts -- its being honest about my feelings about Comcast)

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 207 of 525

Hi Vogue66- I'm going to send you a private message to get your Account Information. You don't have to swap your box if you don't want to and all of the channels will still be available in SD and no need to upgrade to X1 if you don't want to.

I'm here to help! Ill send you a note in a moment and we can figure something out or remove you from any further notifications. Please know that these HD Channels will go dark depending on where you are if you have one of our old boxes (I dont know where you're located yet) 

Talk to you soon.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 208 of 525

ComcastJenn wrote:

Hi Vogue66- I'm going to send you a private message to get your Account Information. You don't have to swap your box if you don't want to and all of the channels will still be available in SD and no need to upgrade to X1 if you don't want to.

I'm here to help! Ill send you a note in a moment and we can figure something out or remove you from any further notifications. Please know that these HD Channels will go dark depending on where you are if you have one of our old boxes (I dont know where you're located yet) 

Talk to you soon

Thats not the same level of service now, is it? I have had HD service for years, but because you want us all to replace our boxes, the only option to keep them is to downgrade the level of service we have, and thats my point. I have three boxes -- two of them are DVRs - and all three of them tell me they need to be replaced.  I don't like the idea that you're forcing existing customers to choose between retaining the exact same level of service they've had which means upgrading to the new playform while losing hours of programming we used our DVRs for, many of us, for years, or lowering the quality of service we receive in order to keep the equipment we already have.  I also have a 4k UHD TV -- do you really think I'm going to downgrade to SD? 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 209 of 525

I don't understand your issue, Comcast will replace all DCT and DCH boxes for no charge to retain your same level of service with DCX boxes with more storage than you have now.  You don't need to go to X1.  

There was never any guarantee that you could keep your recordings forever stored on a Comcast DVR.  If one of the DVR's failed, you would lose your recordings also.

It's your choice to replace the boxes, or keep your old recordings.  Comcast is not doing anything to downgrade your service, but it's your stuborness to change with the times.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 210 of 525

I've checked all my boxes, all are good to go, so how do I shut off the alert.  It just keeps returning, which, in the middle of a dramatic scene, is really a downer. 

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 211 of 525

It must be said OVER and OVER.

DVR's are for time shifting, not archiving!!

Hard drives DO FAIL.

Electronics FAIL.

Lighting kills electronics.

Fire destroys electronics.

Kids kill electronics (but Daddy, it was thirsty!!)

Drunk friends kill electronics (where did I put that drink?)

Basically, no matter what, at some point, you would need to replace that box. Mine is over 11 years old (new 11/04), and I'm amazed it's still working. I do turn it off when not in use, so the hard drive does not keep seeking (buffering), which may have helped.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 212 of 525

When does the switchover to MPEG-4 take place in the Chicago area?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 213 of 525

tking29 wrote:

When does the switchover to MPEG-4 take place in the Chicago area?

The main city itself is happening right about now. Stories on TV and other media pushing people to hurry up.

Here in the NW suburbs, it's due to occur around March 17.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 214 of 525

GEEZ! They keep pushing the suburbs back!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 215 of 525

JayInAlg wrote:

I don't understand your issue, Comcast will replace all DCT and DCH boxes for no charge to retain your same level of service with DCX boxes with more storage than you have now.  You don't need to go to X1.  

There was never any guarantee that you could keep your recordings forever stored on a Comcast DVR.  If one of the DVR's failed, you would lose your recordings also.

It's your choice to replace the boxes, or keep your old recordings.  Comcast is not doing anything to downgrade your service, but it's your stuborness to change with the times.

Excuse me?  My stubborness to change with the times?  I'm doing just fine changing with the times. I don't need Comcast to dictate or order me what to do to change with THEIR TIMES.  I alredy have HD service.  I already have 4k service.  They want to downgrade my service if I choose not to get their new boxes -- thats not me refusing to change with the times, thats me having my own mind and not falling into line with Comcast's plan.  Perhaps its time to cut the cord & drop the cable portion of my Comcast subscription anyhow -- already dropped down to the Double Play from the Triple Pay, and finding I don't really need to keep paying Comcast when I have Netflix, Hulu and can get HBO, Showtime and Starz for $10/ea -- far below my monthly cable costs.  Is that changing with the times enough for you?  You force an upgrade in boxes, and then turn around and want to charge your customers $60 to come out & install the boxes you're forcing us to get.  Only other option is to self-install and then what -- I'm supposed to pack up three cable boxes and ship them back to you?  I have to make a special trip to one of your centers (when you've closed every one within a 10 mile radius of my home) or a UPS store? I'm supposed to buy packing materials and print up labels and take time out of my busy schedule (and bust my back) to ship your boxes back to you?   I can see I'm not alone in my anger and disgust with this company -- the subject is currently trending and the replies to the story are overwhelmingly anti-Comcast. Looks like its time to cut the cord all together -- thanks for making my mind up for me Comcast!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 216 of 525
I'm sure Comcast will really miss you, lol!

I don't think you even read what you wrote. Did you have to upgrade your old TV to get 4K? What about your VCR to DVD to Blu-ray player? How are you getting Netflix and Hulu if you never upgraded to your streaming device of choice? How do you stream 4K if you're still using a 56k modem?

Mpeg4 is far superior to the ancient mpeg2, and to benefit from it we need new boxes. What's so difficult to understand about that? I could see my grandma not comprehending it, but come on man! Get over yourself.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 217 of 525

I agree it is poorly thought out.  My four boxes (only one is HD) all say that I am good to go.  However, I cannot make the alert go away.  There should be some way to turn it off, but it interrupts my viewing.  At least make it run only on the commercials! Smiley Happy  Why irritate customers who have complied with the requested action? 

PS I own Comcast stock and it has done very well.  Maybe could do even better with a more customer-friendly approach. 

Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 218 of 525

It would be nice if they kept us updated on the roll out progress; broken down by city and current status.  The secrecy of this is a bit annoying.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 219 of 525

Hi WB6- I understand. The tricky thing with this is that dates change all the time. I can let you know that Seattle,Twin Cities, parts of the Boston Region, and Detroit area are tentativley scheduled for the next few months, but these are subject to change.  If there is a particular market of interest I can defintiley give an estimate if I have it!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 220 of 525
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 221 of 525

Thanks for the update on Salt Lake!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 222 of 525

Is there a time estimate for the Western Suburbs of Chicago? Since we use Tivo/cable cards, we're hoping their update hits around the same time, but the best they can tell me right now is "spring".

Posted by
Contributor

Message 223 of 525

jth182 wrote:
I'm sure Comcast will really miss you, lol!

I don't think you even read what you wrote. Did you have to upgrade your old TV to get 4K? What about your VCR to DVD to Blu-ray player? How are you getting Netflix and Hulu if you never upgraded to your streaming device of choice? How do you stream 4K if you're still using a 56k modem?

Mpeg4 is far superior to the ancient mpeg2, and to benefit from it we need new boxes. What's so difficult to understand about that? I could see my grandma not comprehending it, but come on man! Get over yourself.

Wow, you're so smart!  Your grandmother is so lucky to have you!

See, I purchased a 55" UHD Smart TV that I thought that was better than our old 48" HD TV, but maybe not? I don't know -- you seem to be confused as to how one upgrades one's TV, so now you have me questioning that because you're so smart & know so much.  And I have a Blu Ray player but its not even plugged in.  I think we might have a DVD player in the basement somewhere, but we tossed our VCR years ago.  Why do you ask?  Is that how you stream?  Do you have all those things wired up & conncted to your TV?  See I thought I could stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. from my television and there was no need any extra equipment!  Thats how we've been doing it for a while, but maybe I should plug my Blu Ray player in for a better picture? Thank goodness you came along & replied to my comments about Comcast because you're just so smart!   And do you have a 56k modem? Is that one Comcast asks you to pay for every month? See I bought my own modem and my own router and we regularly stream at approx 120-130 mps (we also pay for the faster 105 mps services).  Is that too fast for 4k?  Maybe I need to find me one of these 56k modems (or better yet, I can pay Comcast $10/month for years!!!)

As for the whole mpeg4 vs mpeg2 thing, I've discovered its all irrelevant.  See I found out that I can buy this thing called an antenna and get broadcast TV for free -- FOR FREE! And there's this new streaming service that would cost me like $30/month and I can get all these TV channels AND HBO and I won't even need a box! Isn't that incredible?!

See, if you had bothered to read my comments rather than choose the ones to mock, you'd see its not that fact that Comcast is upgrading its boxes that had me so angry its HOW they're going about doing it. You HAVE to do it our way on our timeline and thats it.  And then they want us to pay for them to do it.  That was really the last straw.  No, I wasn't happy about loosing hous of programming I've recorded over the years, but I would have dealt with it.  Once I learned that they wanted me to pay them to come out & replace those boxes or I could spend my money to buy packing materials to pack up three cable boxes, bust my back to haul them God knows where (because theres not a Comcast office within a 10 mile radius of my home), taking time out of my busy schedule to do work that they're demanding -- well, it was pretty much a no brainer.  I don't need cable television that badly any more. Not in this day & age when there are so many more options.  I guess I should be thanking them for opening my eyes to what my other options are.

So there you go.  Does that all make sense to you?  I mean, its not difficult to understand.  Even my 9 yr old granddaughter can understand it. You really should get over yourself.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 224 of 525

Healtpro- shoot me your account number or phone number because you should NOT be receiving alerts if you don't have a box on your account that needs to be swapped.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 225 of 525

Ordered new set-top box through channel 1995 a few weeks ago. 

When I can I expect delivery as I did not receive any confirmation of delivery date or time.

Thank you.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 226 of 525

Mharling:

PM me your address and I can narrow it down for you.  

Thanks,

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 227 of 525

Mczinn:

Your area began migrating channels on December 1st and has migrated 3 groups of channels as of Jan 5.   The last two groups will migrate Jan 14 and Jan 28th.  Not all channels will convert at this time but upwards of 80% will be dilivered in MPEG-4 after Jan 28th.  I hope this helps.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 228 of 525

I don't see it on the schedule for 2016. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 229 of 525

Interesting.  I thought the whole thing was supposed to be done this year??  Probably be with another provider by the time it makes to the hinter land of No Va.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 230 of 525

Wow, I really underestimated the depth of your stupidity!  The truly hilarious thing is that you seem to have it all figured out, but you're still giving your money to Comcast and letting this bother you!  Good job!

Oh, and it's "losing" with one "o."

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 231 of 525

vogue66 wrote:
I have to make a special trip to one of your centers (when you've closed every one within a 10 mile radius of my home) or a UPS store? I'm supposed to buy packing materials and print up labels and take time out of my busy schedule (and bust my back) to ship your boxes back to you?   I can see I'm not alone in my anger and disgust with this company -- the subject is currently trending and the replies to the story are overwhelmingly anti-Comcast. Looks like its time to cut the cord all together -- thanks for making my mind up for me Comcast!

Follow the directions at this link

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/returning-your-equipment/

You don't need boxes, packing material or labels, drop off the equipment at the UPS store, they give you a receipt, and they do the packing & shipping, Comcast pays the freight.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 232 of 525

You are exactly right. Take it to UPS store and they will handle the rest.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 233 of 525

We'll be rolling this out into 2017

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 234 of 525

Hi Jen,

When is southern new hampshire switching over? Also when will there be new HD channels?

Thanks

Steve

Posted by
Administrator

Message 235 of 525

The HD Enhanced Migration for Southern NH isn’t on the schedule for this year, but that could change.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 236 of 525
This rollout is going to be a slow burn.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 237 of 525

ComcastRollymon wrote:

The first group of channels will be migrated on January 12, 2016 with a group to follow a week later.  Four groups total.

Do you know which channels are first? I would be interested to see if I can tell a difference when it happens here in Utah. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 238 of 525

Is Philadelphia on the schedule for 2016 for the MPEG4 roll out?

Thanks

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 239 of 525

January 12, 2016 for Salt Lake City Market only.  These are very market specific.

Universal, USA, National Geographic, TLC, Discovery, Food, SyFy, MGM, TruTV, HBO.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 240 of 525

gate1975mlm:

I do not have a date for Philadelphia yet but should have shortly.  Understand that these schedules do change.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 241 of 525

ComcastRollymon wrote:

gate1975mlm:

I do not have a date for Philadelphia yet but should have shortly.  Understand that these schedules do change.

I totally understand that schedules do change and if you can get a possible time frame for Philly that will be great! Smiley Happy

Thanks again

Posted by
New Poster

Message 242 of 525

Any ideas on mpeg4 in Spokane,Wa? Lots of times we are part of a Seattle rollout but sometimes not.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 243 of 525
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 244 of 525

ufdanman

Jacksonville is scheduled for March 2016 currently.  

Disclaimer: Schedules do change

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 245 of 525

geogear:

Scheduled for late February 2016 to start notifications.  Channel migrations targeted for late May 2016.  

Disclaimer: Schedules are subject to change.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 246 of 525

Yes - what about Philly/South Jersey area schedules?

Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 247 of 525

I guess it would make too much sense to create a master list with the roll out dates and update it periodically?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 248 of 525

In Northern Va, I check the diagnostic menu and under MPEG Type it says Mpeg-4.  So do I have Enhanced HD now?  My DVR went from 60% full down to 30% without deleting anything

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 249 of 525

reggie77 wrote:

In Northern Va, I check the diagnostic menu and under MPEG Type it says Mpeg-4.  So do I have Enhanced HD now?  My DVR went from 60% full down to 30% without deleting anything

Seems like it.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 250 of 525

So, which one is it for No Va?  Being done in 2017 or already in place??