New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 151 of 507

HI volvogirl- we haven't migrated to MPEG4 in Sacremento yet, but we will soon. Channel 1995 will tell you to go to each TV to see if one of them needs to be swapped. If you didn't get a letter, or receive any communications on this you are probably OK!

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 152 of 507

This so Comcast can start setting caps on data usage right after they push their HD programming down your throat. I cannot even keep connected to wi-fi even in my house because xfinity kicks me off my own network!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 153 of 507
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 154 of 507

Bouncerss wrote:

This so Comcast can start setting caps on data usage right after they push their HD programming down your throat. I cannot even keep connected to wi-fi even in my house because xfinity kicks me off my own network!

Conversion to MPEG4 has nothing to do with data caps and everything to do with streamlining content delivery with enhanced quality.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 155 of 507
Posted by
Visitor

Message 156 of 507

We did the 1995 code thing here in Portland for one of our two boxes (and old "silver" model), and received two X2 boxes within a week (main box and small client box).  Some experiences with setup this weekend:

Somewhere during setup of the main box we got a "something has gone wrong" message and had to call Comcast.  The CSR reset the box on her end, and setup proceeded.

The Sony TV wouldn't program.  There are threads where this is a common problem for this and other TVs.  There is a defect either in the voice remote, its programming, or the code list, where it won't go through the "extra" codes listed for the TV and stops after three button presses (codes require 5).  The solution (after an hour of checking online) was to use a manual code setup, pressing the channel button repeatedly until the TV turned off.  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XR5-and-XR11-quot-Voice-Remote-quot-Code-Lists/td-p/2550616

Both the live rewind and voice search functions work.  My kids love this, since they have been doing this with the various plug-in video devices we have (Amazon Fire stick, etc)

There are some apps, including Pandora.  Presumably Netflix will follow at some point.

The picture is much clearer than it was with the other boxes.  Nice screensaver too (like a Chromecast).

Posted by
Visitor

Message 157 of 507

what channels or services do I lose if I don't upgrade the boxes? How muc extra a month will I be paying/box if I do upgrade?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 158 of 507

It should not change the price of your service. You should upgrade.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 159 of 507

HI Everyone- Channel Migrations occured last night in Atlanta and Central California so if you see a black screen on some HD channels, before you call in, head over to Channel 1995 and make sure your box is OK. If it says " Incompatible" you can order a new one (side note- you can only order on the box that is incompatible). If it says the box is good to go there is nothing else you need to do, but be sure to check ALL tvs in your house!

You can view all of the HD channels in SD while you wait for your new box to arrive.

Thanks!

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 160 of 507

At least in Folsom, CA area I didnt see the switch to MPEG4 happen today morning. Are there specific channels which will switch to MPEG4 or all of them at once?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 161 of 507
Any news on when Chicago will be switching?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 162 of 507

Chicago is migrating channels in relatively small areas.  Springfield, Champaign, Rockford, Mendota as well as parts of Chicago city have migrated some but not all channels.  The migrations are done in 4 groups of about 20 channels each.  The rest of the markets will spread from now until February 2016.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 163 of 507

ComcastRollymon wrote:

Chicago is migrating channels in relatively small areas.  Springfield, Champaign, Rockford, Mendota as well as parts of Chicago city have migrated some but not all channels.  The migrations are done in 4 groups of about 20 channels each.  The rest of the markets will spread from now until February 2016.  

Is there a way to get a bit more information about this?  I'm in the Chicago suburbs and have a cablecard with an HDHR Prime box.  While everything says it will work with mpeg4, it would be nice to test a channel.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 164 of 507
My area has not been migrated yet because channel 1995 is not available. What states are currently in progress?
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 165 of 507

Channel 1995 showing up in the NW Chicago suburbs as of today.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 166 of 507
Has the migration to MPEG4 for Atlanta been completed? If not, is there a completion date?
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 167 of 507
When will Garden State, NJ see ch 1995?
Posted by
Visitor

Message 168 of 507

I'm confused, changing the box will incur an additional outlet fee? Please verify ComcastJenn

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 169 of 507

cprecour wrote:

I'm confused, changing the box will incur an additional outlet fee? Please verify ComcastJenn

Swapping the equipment will not change your monthly fee, it's just a hardware upgrade, nothing more.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 170 of 507

Hi cprecour- I  was out of the office and just seeing this response! Jay is correct, there is no additional fee for this. It''s simply exchanging one box for another.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 171 of 507
Will all markets eventually transfer over to MPEG-4? If that's the case I'm set, since the two Cisco RNG150N boxes I have officially support MPEG-4.
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 172 of 507

ComcastJenn wrote:

Correct. Atlanta, Chicago Region, Nashville, Tuscon, Salt Lake City, Portland,Bay Area & Central California are all going through the MPEG4 HD Conversion this year into early next with more markets on the horizon.

We do send out notificatios to all of our CableCard customers and so will Tivo. If there is a better way to reach you about this transition, please let us know and we can consider modifying our tactics.

Any update on the Bay Area conversion timeframe?  That's where I'm at. 

I use a TiVo HD w/CableCARD and channel 1995 doesn't work.  I get a black screen tuning to that, sometimes accompanied by a channel not available message box (generated by the TiVo itself).

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 173 of 507

Bay Area customers are going to be notified starting 12/14, so channel 1995 won’t be available until then and it won’t work for Tivo devices. Check with Tivo about your device- the CableCard we gave you is MPEG4 capable, but the device it is in may not be (for example- Series 3 won’t work with MEPG4). Tivo should be contacting you about it as well and you'll get a letter from us soon!

MPEG4 migrations are scheduled to start in Bay in February 2016 and will finish up in April 2016 (These dates are scheduled to change!), but the good news is you still have time.

If you have other devices in your home besides Tivo wait until you get a letter from us to check Channel 1995 and it will tell you if you need to swap anything other devices. You can order right from your TV once it's available if you need to swap.

Thanks for reaching out!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 174 of 507

Any rough schedule on when the NW Chicago suburbs will change? Channel 1995 is now showing, but I have received no mail or other notification about it yet. I'd guess 99% of subscribers would have no idea about it right now.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 175 of 507
Yeah, my friend in Lake in the Hills had no idea he would need new boxes until I told him last week. You would think Comcast would want to shout this from the rooftops. It's like pulling teeth even trying to find out which channels have changed and what the schedule is.
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 176 of 507

jth182 wrote:
Yeah, my friend in Lake in the Hills had no idea he would need new boxes until I told him last week. You would think Comcast would want to shout this from the rooftops. It's like pulling teeth even trying to find out which channels have changed and what the schedule is.

I have people in LITH and other towns on the Carpentersville system that received the letter.  MPEG 4 is scheduled for Feb and will affect all HD cable channels, but not the Chicago locals.  Only people with DCT and DCH models need to be replaced (the silver boxes), all black DCX and RNG boxes are good to go.  The Carpentersville office closed for good on 12/4, so don't go there.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 177 of 507
Not until February? I have to say, the picture here lately has been spectacular. I can't imagine it looking better! I suppose fast motion would benefit most.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 178 of 507

You would only receive notice if you have devices that need to swap. Check on Channel 1995 to see if you have any! If you do need to swap, we send letters, call you, emails, etc.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 179 of 507

We only message customers who need to swap out equipment. Everyone else is all set! If you do need to swap you would get a letter, call, TV Alerts and emails from us so you know what's happening.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 180 of 507

Atlanta is broken down into 4 areas with only one of those being complete.  I can't tell you what is  geographically complete at this time, but the entire market is targeted to be complete on February 2, 2015.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 181 of 507

Make that 2016

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 182 of 507

After the migration to MPEG4 is complete, has anyone gotten more HD channels?

ComcastFrancisc wrote:

HI All, recently there have been a lot of questions regarding this an as a result I decided to make this post.

The HD Enhanced Program is an initiative to exchange older model HD equipment in a customer's home with a newer model. We are swapping out several models of MPEG-2 set-top boxes across the Comcast footprint. These boxes are replaced with MPEG-4-capable boxes in order to provide XFINITY TV customers with an HD-enhanced experience.

We are beginning to migrate HD channels to a new format that enhances the viewing experience by providing customers with better picture quality.

The program is not occurring in all markets. Please tune to Channel 1995 to see if swap options are available for you.   If you don't see the channel or see a blackscreen, please wait until you receive a letter with your information on this when this is happening in your area. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 183 of 507

I got 2 pop up messages today on 2 boxes saying my box needed to be replaced. One is a DCX DVR and the other is an RNG.  This seems to conflict with what Jay is saying????  But when I go to channel 1995, it says the boxes are good to go.  I do have a DCH box which channel 1995 says needs to be replaced, but I never got a pop up message.  What gives?

Update:  I am now  seeing the popup message on all my boxes. Should I see it on all my boxes even though (according to Jay)

only the DCH needs replacing?  Will these annoying popups stop once a box is ordered?

Thanks...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 184 of 507

After this MPEG-4 takes place, how many and which new HD channels will be added for zip 08054?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 185 of 507

This is insane... Even though I ordered the 1 box I needed, I still keep getting popups every 5 hours or so on all 5 of my boxes.  Help!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 186 of 507

You'll continue to get alerts as long as you have one box on your account that needs to be swapped. Once you return your old box, they will stop. If you want them stopped immediatley, please send me a PM with your address and phone number on account.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 187 of 507

I can confirm that in Folsom, CA area I am seeing at least couple of channels (Commedy Central and MSNBC) switching to h264 codec. The rest of the channels are still on mpeg2. My setup is a cable card with windows 7 media center PC

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 188 of 507

Is there any easy way to 'transfer' series recording settings to the mandatory new box? Right now, the only way I know how to do it is use DVR Manager to print it out, then slowly add them back into the new box as they become available. Not very practical, especially if a show isn't airing for awhile. I'll almost certain miss some.

I fully understand not transferring recordings due to size, but the series list should be able to transfer somehow, maybe using DVR Manager.

Or is this just another nag to upgrade to X1, where I assume everything is in the cloud and not tied to a physical box?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 189 of 507

Hi ComcastJenn,

I appreciate you answering questions here since many calls into Comcast and truck roll have been unsuccessful in getting a straight answer as to if MPEG-4 has started roll out in my area. I have NOT received a letter, but I do have a handful of HD channels that are no longer coming in (Comedy Central, CNN, Bravo, ABC Family, etc). The SD versions are still working. Channel 1995 only shows black with three dots in the middle.

I am in Davis, CA and have a Tivo HD with cablecards. I know the Tivo is not compatible with MPEG-4, but I do not know if an MPEG-4 transition is the cause of my black HD channels since no one can seem to tell if the transition has started in our area.

Can you please tell me if MPEG-4 has started roll-out in Davis? If not, any information you can provide as to when is greatly appreciated since it will require that I purchase a new Tivo.

I think it is very important for Comcast to make their CableCard customers aware of the rollout dates since many of us will require new hardware.

Thank you!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 190 of 507

If I do replace my 3416 DVR box with a like non X1 HD Enhanced DVR box how can I transfer the saved programs I have in my current DVR to the new one?

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 191 of 507

flash333 wrote:

If I do replace my 3416 DVR box with a like non X1 HD Enhanced DVR box how can I transfer the saved programs I have in my current DVR to the new one?

You can not transfer from the old DVR to the new one.  All recordings need to be played back in real time to a 3rd party DVD recorder or computer capture card.

A computer capture card normally would include some kind of recording software to create a movie file on the computer.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 192 of 507
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 193 of 507

JayInAlg wrote:

flash333 wrote:

You can not transfer from the old DVR to the new one.  All recordings need to be played back in real time to a 3rd party DVD recorder or computer capture card.

A computer capture card normally would include some kind of recording software to create a movie file on the computer.

Then could I install the new DVR and start recording on it while I keep the old unit until I have watched all the shows I have saved on it?

Does the cable input need to be connected to the old 3416 DVR for for me to access and playback programs that I have recorded?

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 194 of 507

If the DVR loses AC power then the recordings are only available with a live cable connection.

If you keep the AC live, then you should be able to play the recordings.

You would have to confirm your new DVR is then an additional outlet and not a box swap as the old box might quite working once the configuration is done on your account.  There's no guarantee that the old box will keep going once the new one is activated.  You would get charged for two DVR's if they are both online.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 195 of 507

Dear Comcast,

Trying again. Please see my post above. Is there anyone out there from Comcast who can let us know if some of the channels in Davis, CA have started converting over to MPEG-4?

We did not receive a letter, but some of our HD channels are going black and no one can tell me why for sure. The SD versions still work. We have  a Tivo with Cablecards and the Tivo cannot support MPEG-4, but trying to determine if the channels have converted or if something else is going on.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 196 of 507

I keep getting a message that pops up on my tv screens that instructs me to tune to channel 1995 to test to see if I need to get upgrade boxes.  Each time I check, it says I don't need new equipment.  Yet day after day I keep getting this message.  Been popping up on my screen for the last 6-months!  Every day!  Please make this stop!!

Worst execution of an equipment rollout ever.

Dwain

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 197 of 507

Hi!  Can you shoot me your Phone NUmber on account or address so I can look it up?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 198 of 507

Any idea when the Salt Lake area will be migrated?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 199 of 507

The first group of channels will be migrated on January 12, 2016 with a group to follow a week later.  Four groups total.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 200 of 507

Is there any schedule moving forward?  I'm particularly interested in the Northern Virginia area.

Thanks