New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Message 101 of 507

Since channel 1995 wasn't available when the letter came, I ordered online. Should I also order through the channel? Or was the online order enough? 

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 102 of 507

Ordered new set top boxes 2 weeks ago on channel 1995 , how do I if order went through? Haven't received them yet, anyway to check on order?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 103 of 507
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 104 of 507
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 105 of 507

MSB725- Shoot me over your account information and I will take a look for you.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 106 of 507

So after two attempts at using channel 1995 to order the new box I called the 800 number to get it sent out. I recieved the shipment yesterday ( 10/19). When I opened the box it had two different set tops in it. I called support to try to figure out why two and which one was needed to replace my DCH3416. The support person I spoke to did not know why there were two when 1995 check showed only one needed to be replaced. We got the new DCX3425R connected and working, so now the questions. 

1) The other set top I have is a PCRNG110, do I need to replace that?

2) There are no changes needed for the two Digital adapters I also have correct?

3) The second box that was sent is a MOR200BNR, it seems to be a DVR. If I replace the 110 with it is there additional monthly charges for having it?

4) I noticed on the email that was sent before the shipment confirmation showed a 9.95 charge listed as SIK Video only Shipping, what is that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 107 of 507

AnthonySeat- I am going to shoot you a private message to investigate more ( I need to look into your account to see the details)

Channel 1995 will always tel you what boxes need to be swaped. It will say imcompatible or compatible.

Smaller boxes (we call them DTAs!) do NOT need to swapped.

There should be NO charge for shipping- I will need to investigate this more with your account.

Thanks!

Jenn

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 108 of 507

This afternoon I followed the channel '1995' onscreen instructions to order a replacement box for my HD DVR.  I was informed a new replacement box will be shipped to me. This evening I received a Comcast Customer Care confirmation email.  The email is showing a quick summary of my services.  In addition to my usual monthly charges, there is now a new line item charge for an 'Additional Outlet' for $8.38.  I thought this program was a free program to swap out old equipment for new.  I am not ordering an additional outlet, so why the charge? Once I receive the new equipment in the mail, I plan on returning my current HD DVR to a Comcast office.  I would like confirmation that I am not going to be billed this 'addtional outlet' charge and that my monthly bill will indeed remain unchanged. Thank you

Posted by
Visitor

Message 109 of 507

A message keeps popping up on my television indicating I need to go to channel 1995 to see of my cable box needs to be upgraded for enhanced HD.  When I go to channel 1995, it indicates both my boxes need to be updated.  Is there any additional cost (monthly service or rental charge) with the enhanced box?  I plan to install it myself.  Thanks.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 110 of 507

I received my upgrade kit yesterday and when I took unpacked the new set top receiver I was puzzled to find out that there wasn't a coax output like my current silver box, only an HDMI.

My DVR only has a coax input and it has been working fine with the old setup. I called the support line and the person I spoke to didn't understand what a coax connecter was. After some time she came back and said that the new RNG110 only have HDMI output. But she said I could order a Comcast DVR for $19.95 a month and that set top box *comes* with a coax output. I questioned her sanity to pay $200 a year to get a Comcast DVR with a coax connecter so I could hook up my DVR. (??)

I was offered no other solution. No converter, no alternateve set top box. Nothing. Either go out and buy another DVR with an HDMI input or pay $19.95 a month to get one from Comcast, and throw mine in the garbage.

I expect Comcast will be receiving many complaints like this, and what about the person that has a TV with only coax inputs. Are they supposed to go out and buy another TV to accomodate the new set top box?

When I asked if I could continue using the old silver set top box, and forgo any of the new wiz bang new features, I was told that I could not. If I didn't use the new one I wouldn't be able to recieve any of the channels.

So now I'm stuck, with it seems, no options.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 111 of 507

al_kalian wrote:

I received my upgrade kit yesterday and when I took unpacked the new set top receiver I was puzzled to find out that there wasn't a coax output like my current silver box, only an HDMI.

My DVR only has a coax input and it has been working fine with the old setup. I called the support line and the person I spoke to didn't understand what a coax connecter was. After some time she came back and said that the new RNG110 only have HDMI output.

I was offered no other solution. No converter, no alternative set top box. Nothing. Either go out and buy another DVR with an HDMI input or pay $19.95 a month to get one from Comcast, and throw mine in the garbage.

:

So now I'm stuck, with it seems, no options.

You can find a number of different HDMI-to-X converters on Amazon that could help you out.
If besides an RF coax input, your DVR also has Component (YPbPr) or Composite (Yellow) video inputs, you could try something like one of these:
Portta PETHRT HDMI to Component YPbPr and R/L Audio Converter v1.3 1080P
http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRT-Component-YPbPr-Converter/dp/B00R19BG7O
Tendak HDMI to Composite 3RCA AV S-Video R/L Audio Vdieo Converter Adapter Upscaler Support 720P/1080P with RCA/S-video
http://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Composite-Converter-Upscaler-Blue-Ray/dp/B00V2ULFAQ
If you only have an RF coax input, as you say, then you can also add this:
RCA Compact RF Modulator (CRF907R)
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-RF-Modulator-CRF907R/dp/B0014KKV7W

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 112 of 507

barronlake:

The replacement boxes are free as long as you return the old boxes within 30 days of your order.  You should see an additional outlet charge and promotional code for 30 days free.  

PM with your account information me if that is not the case.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 113 of 507

Alkalian:

PM your account information to me and I will research.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 114 of 507

Hi al_Kalian- There is one version of the RNG110 that doesn’t have a coax output (HD Only). If you private message me I can get you a new box with the correct output.

Thank you,

Jenn

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 115 of 507

My DVR doesn't have a component video in, but does have an S-Video in but the RNG110 doesn't have an S-Video out, so the first two suggestions aren't viable.

The last one looks like it might work, and I ordered one and will report back with the results.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 116 of 507

al_kalian wrote:

My DVR doesn't have a component video in, but does have an S-Video in but the RNG110 doesn't have an S-Video out, so the first two suggestions aren't viable.

Then you could use this HDMI-to-S-video converter:

Tendak HDMI to Composite 3RCA AV S-Video R/L Audio Vdieo Converter Adapter Upscaler

http://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Composite-Converter-Upscaler-Blue-Ray/dp/B00V2ULFAQ

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 117 of 507

telcodad wrote:

al_kalian wrote:

Then you could use this HDMI-to-S-video converter:

Tendak HDMI to Composite 3RCA AV S-Video R/L Audio Vdieo Converter Adapter Upscaler

I think I'll go with the RF option for now, $10 vs $40.

Also I got a message from ComcastJenn that says there is an alternate HD cable box with both Coax In/Out and will send it to me at no charge.

I gave her my address, and if it's what I need I can return the RF modulator. If what she sends isn't what I want, I can use the RF Modulator on my current set top box.

Nice to have a couple of options, which is better than what I had when I started.

BTW, I hooked up the RNG110 and the setup went smoothly, no problems. And the picture does seem to be better, but that could be subjective, since I can't do a side by side comparasion.

The added bonus was that I didn't have to re-program my Logictech remote. Fortunately I had made a note of my previous Favorite channels, and once I figured out the new Favorites screen it was a snap to add them all back.

All in all it was an easy upgrade, but would have been much easier and less hassle if Comcast had spent the extra $1.43 to add both a Coax In/Out connetor to be backward compatable with all of the prior set-ups.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 118 of 507

Hi,

i went to channel 1995 and asked for a self install kit for one of my tv's.  i was wondering about when the kit would arrive?

Mike

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 119 of 507

telcodad wrote:

Comcast Transitioning to MPEG4 in Select Markets
Published: 8/28/2015

https://support.tivo.com/SupportPortalArticleViewPage?artURL=/articles/Features_Use/Comcast-Transiti...

FYI - Tucson, Arizona and Salt Lake City, Utah were just added to the list of transitioning markets.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 120 of 507

Correct. Atlanta, Chicago Region, Nashville, Tuscon, Salt Lake City, Portland,Bay Area & Central California are all going through the MPEG4 HD Conversion this year into early next with more markets on the horizon.

We do send out notificatios to all of our CableCard customers and so will Tivo. If there is a better way to reach you about this transition, please let us know and we can consider modifying our tactics.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 121 of 507

Standard shipping is 3-5 business days.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 122 of 507

Correct- thank you! If you don't receive it within  7-10 business days, shoot me a note and I'll investigate.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 123 of 507

I got a letter from xfinity stating i should go to channel 1995,

well i did and all i got was channel 1999 which was no help

at all. What gives here what am i supposed to do now.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 124 of 507

joepostal46- I'm sending you a private message right now. Stay tuned.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 125 of 507

I wanted to thank a couple members of this forum, telcodad for offering suggestions to solve my problems with not having a Coax In/Out on my new Comcast RNG110 set top box.

But special thanks to ComcastJenn for monitoring the forum and coming up with the best solution. Rather than have to add additional equipment, I was told that there was another HD only set top box that had Coax In/Out and she would send it to me, no charge.

It arrived and it does have both CoAx In/Out and once I got it set up and activated I could use my DVR and the rest of my prior setup just as I had it before the upgrade.

The one I was originally sent was a RNG110 and it only has a HDMI and Component Video output. See previous messages for the complete discussion.

If you need both Coax In/Out you need to get, or request a RNG150N set top box. In addition to the Coax In/Out it has Component Video and HDMI outputs.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 126 of 507

Hi all,

I received my set top box several weeks ago, and (oops) just found the time to install it tonight.  The set up was easy enough, but it's now been nearly 2 hours from the time I clicked "activate," and it still doesn't seem to be set up.  It's alternating between displaying "O" and "O  O" on the display.  Is this typical?  Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 127 of 507

Good morning- 2 hours is pretty typical for everything to load up. If you are still having issues shoot me a message and I'll investigate further.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 128 of 507

Good morning!

Thanks for your reply. I let it sit overnight (so now about 12 hours) and it's still doing the same thing.  I tried to turn off the power and turn it back on, and now it's displaying a single "O".  Thoughts?

Thank you!

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 129 of 507

I received the letter to replace my set-top boxes by 10/06/2015.  I completed the instructions by going to channel 1995 and my assumption is that the boxes would be shipped to my address.  That was about a month ago and no boxes have yet to arrive but I am losing some of my HD channels!!!!  Is there a way to track when the boxes should be delivered?  Is there even a way to verify that the order for the new boxes are even on someone's list anywhere.  Please le me know what to do.

Thanks!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 130 of 507

mpreissler- sending you a private message now to get more information so I can look into this. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 131 of 507
Noticed the DTA guide showed up today along with channel 1995 in the far NW burbs of Chicago this morning. Hope mpeg4 is not far behind!
Posted by
Contributor

Message 132 of 507

Where online can a Comcast customer find instructions on how to complete this HD enhancement DVR box swap installation when picking up the newer model DVR from a local office?  I've searched & can't find anything.

I will take my old DVR to a local Comcast office & get a DVR that's compatible with the new HD format.  But I want to read, online, how to install/set-up the new DVR BEFORE I go to the Comcast office.

I hope to get a Motorolla DCX3416 DVR or whatever the current model is that will work.

Once I get the new DVR installed AND functioning, I will return my old one to the local Comcast office.

I'm in the Salt Lake City area.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 133 of 507

Eggalegga- Hi there!  You can view set up instructions here (http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/selfinstall) If you go to the service center, they can swap it out easily for you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 134 of 507

No I can't. That link doesn't work.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 135 of 507

Try www.xfinity.com/selfinstall

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 136 of 507

Thank you for your quick reply. Smiley Happy That link works.  I'll read through the information.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations, you've have started 5 topics! Your communication brings an abundance of information to the community!
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 137 of 507

Good Morning, I keep getting a message that I need a new cable box. It says that I can install it myself or have a tech come and install it for a price. I need information about the box, installation charges and why it has to be changed.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 138 of 507

See the HD Enhanced Program thread at the top of this forum's subject list.

Basically, Comcast is updating to a new digital compression scheme that requires newer equipment. There is no install fee if you do it yourself. Not sure if you need somebody to do it for you.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/HD-Enhanced-Program/m-p/2577643

Posted by
Visitor

Message 139 of 507

Per info on Comcast's channel 1995, I swapped out my one cable box for a new one that supports the "enhanced HD."  I sent my old box back the next day via UPS, using the mailing label that Comcast provided for the return.   I received an email from Comcast, thanking me for sending the old box back, stating that it could take up to two weeks to process it.  That was on August 21, 2015.

Since then, it's been nothing but ineptitude and disorganization on Comcast's part.  My next Comcast bill had an additional $20 added to it for an "extra outlet."  I called the Comcast "billing" option at the end of September and was told I would receive a credit on it immediately but that someone would need to investigate why Comcast thought I had two boxes.   I NEVER received that credit.

I called again a month later, when I was charged $20 again for the "extra outlet."   The service rep had no information to give me regarding my previous call.   He said he would open a new ticket for technical support, someone would call me back in 7 days, and he would give me a $10 credit (why $10?).   I did receive that credit.  

After no response by the 7th day, I decided to try the live chat.   That guy stated the response time was "7-10 days" (not "7 days") and no one had made any updates to my previous ticket.   He said someone would have to investigate why I was being charged and he would apply a $20 credit, which he did.

So 2 1/2 months later, someone in Comcast still thinks I have both my new and old cable boxes and keeps padding my bill.   Comcast recently sent me a postal letter and a voicemail stating I need to swap out my old cable box.   Comcast is a mess and truly deserves their reputation for terrible customer service.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 140 of 507

I have gotten this message for a few days now that I will need to swap out my box in order to take advantage of enhanced services.  I never watch HD, as all of the channels I watch are from 274 on down and my TV is from 1998.  Do I need to worry about anything?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 141 of 507

Hi there- if you don't care about HD channels, then you don't have to swap. It's up to you! Once we migration the channels to MPEG4, you'll get a black screen. You can chose to swap now, later on or never.

If you chose not to swap, just send me your account information via a private message and I will make sure you aren't getting any more alerts on your TV.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 142 of 507

blazerrose wrote:

I have gotten this message for a few days now that I will need to swap out my box in order to take advantage of enhanced services.  I never watch HD, as all of the channels I watch are from 274 on down and my TV is from 1998.  Do I need to worry about anything?

If you are paying for HD service, then you may as well update. Check your bill. The newer boxes may also be a bit faster (more responsive interface), depending on which box you currently have.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 143 of 507

eggalegga wrote:

Where online can a Comcast customer find instructions on how to complete this HD enhancement DVR box swap installation when picking up the newer model DVR from a local office?  I've searched & can't find anything.

I will take my old DVR to a local Comcast office & get a DVR that's compatible with the new HD format.  But I want to read, online, how to install/set-up the new DVR BEFORE I go to the Comcast office.

I hope to get a Motorolla DCX3416 DVR or whatever the current model is that will work.

Once I get the new DVR installed AND functioning, I will return my old one to the local Comcast office.

I'm in the Salt Lake City area.

ComcastJenn wrote:

Try www.xfinity.com/selfinstall

eggalegga wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply.  That link works.  I'll read through the information.

Please explain the fees involved with switching out old DVRs with new ones & returning the old ones.

Why should I have to pay $10 if I go pick up the new DVR & install it myself, then return my old DVR?

It's cheap! For about $10, you can pick up a Self Installation Kit at your local Customer Service Center, or you can have all the equipment shipped right to your doorstep.

I don't want the equipment shipped to me as there have been all kinds of issues with customers receiving them in a timely fashion.  Also, I want to chose the DVR I will be using for the next few years, rather than just take whatever they ship to me.

I have had numerous problems in the past with promised adjustments/credits on my account  not showing up & having to repeatedly (for months) call customer service/billing to try to resolve them.  Very frustrating for a customer to hear things like "No one at Comcast documented your last phone call/request or credit".  And, "I'll take care of this for you so you won't have to call again next month."

Posted by
Contributor

Message 144 of 507

Just completed my set-up of my new DCX 3501.  Picked it up at my local Comcast store & connected it.  It took only 1 hr from the time I connected it until the DVR & guide were fully functional.  I programmed my remote to work with my TV & assigned the 30-second skip function to an unused button.  I was also able to create my favorites list.

I will be returning my old DVR to Comcast later this afternoon.

I was told there were no fees associated with swapping the old DVR with the newer HD Enhancement capable DVR. I guess I'll see when I get my next bill.

VERY quick & EASY process. Smiley Happy

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 145 of 507

Eggalegga- thanks for making my day with this post! I'm so glad it was easy to do it and painless. 

Do you mind sharing what state you live in so I can share with the teams?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 146 of 507

ComcastJenn wrote:

Eggalegga- thanks for making my day with this post! I'm so glad it was easy to do it and painless. 

Do you mind sharing what state you live in so I can share with the teams?

I am in Utah (Salt Lake City area). I went to the Comcast store in West Valley City.

I picked up my "new" DVR around 10 am, & returned the old one around 3:30 pm. Very courteous, knowledgeable, speedy employees. Only had a wait time when I returned my old DVR.

Activation was a breeze. Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 147 of 507

I have updated our DVR box earlier this year and two days ago updated another old HD box to the new HD box. I am still getting the Service Alert messages on both tv screens.  How do you remove these service alert messages as they are very irritating and surely will interfere with any dvr recording if they pop up in the middle of a show. Thanks for your help.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 148 of 507

If the image is being generated by the software menus of the box it will not interfere with DVR recordings, just like any other menu you may access.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 149 of 507

What's this all about???  I'm in Sacramento CA.  I came to the forum to see if anything had happened because I think the picture looks better.  2 days ago I replaced my remote but that wouldn't affect the picture?  Did it just get rolled out to me?  I tuned to 1995 and it said to check the other TVs to see if they need upgrading.  Does that mean I have it?  Is it on all channels?  I just noticed it on 789 TCM movie and I don't think I've dusted my screen lately.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 150 of 507

Very soon I'm going to be replacing my two older DVR's with the two replacement ones I just got today.  I would like to know something first.  I understand that I will loose any shows I have recorded on my old DCH3416's and that's OK.  What I want to know is:  I have a full set of scheduled shows every week still to record, when I change to the newer DCX3400's I got, will my scheduled shows still record on the new DVR's or will I need to re-schedule them again?

Thanks