members

online now

discussions

HD Equipment Swap Program (MPEG 4)

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 501 of 524

TGS808 wrote:

I received the letter about the update. I went to channel 1995 as instructed by the letter and for both boxes in the house the message on screen said that the box was "good to go!". It would appear, based on the directions supplied by Comcast that no action is necessary on my part and no equipment swap is needed. Is this correct? Boxes are a Scientific Atlanta 8300 Combo and a Cisco RNG200. I don't want to unexpectedly lose channels but I also don't want to pull my system apart for no reason if my current boxes are good. And I have no desire to move to X1. Any info on this would help. Thanks!

P.S. If the "good to go!" message is not correct, why is the system giving me false information?

Apologies for any confusion that we may have caused. Moving to X1 is not required (but strongly encouraged as we believe that it is an improved experience and the upgrade is at no additional cost).

I have asked for a more thorough review of your account to better understand why the box showed as "passing", but I do know that the Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD and HDC boxes are not MPEG 4 compatible and that box would need to be swapped out. 

Let me know and I can assist you with that swap (we can ship you a replacement box at no charge) or you can swap that box at one of the local stores listed below:

9173 West Atlantic Ave

Delray Beach, FL 33446

MONDAY-SATURDAY: 8:00am-7:00pm
SUNDAY: 1:00pm-5:00pm

2815 State Road 7 Suite 300

Wellington, FL 33414

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
New Poster
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 502 of 524

andyross wrote:

The RNG is certainly OK, as all RNG's are MPEG4 capable. Not as sure about the SA8300, as I thought that was an older box and roughly equivalent to the Motorola DCT or DCH series. You may want to see if there is a full model number somewhere (maybe label on the bottom), as there could be multiple versions, and the latest could be MPEG4 capable.

Also, despite the VERY HEAVY push from Comcast, you do NOT need to upgrade to X1. You can just get newer boxes that still run iGuide, although that software is no longer being updated.

Thanks for the reply Andy. The 8300 is an older box. I've had it since 2006. Which is why I thought it was strange that it says "good to go".  I'd be surprised to find it is MPEG4 compatible. Everything I've read about it (that I could find) says MPEG2. So, the system is giving bad information.

Posted by
New Poster
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 503 of 524

Thanks for the reply Ted. Can I assume Andy was correct in that the RBG200 is OK? If so, I'll head down to the Delray location sometime this week and swap out the 8300. Though I would be interested in knowing why the system said that the 8300 was OK if it isn't. The letter said this had to be done before 4/17. I should be able to do it by that date but in the event I don't, is that really a hard deadline? Am I going to notice something change on that day if I don't make the swap? 

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 504 of 524

TGS808 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Ted. Can I assume Andy was correct in that the RBG200 is OK? If so, I'll head down to the Delray location sometime this week and swap out the 8300. Though I would be interested in knowing why the system said that the 8300 was OK if it isn't. The letter said this had to be done before 4/17. I should be able to do it by that date but in the event I don't, is that really a hard deadline? Am I going to notice something change on that day if I don't make the swap? 

At first, only a small group of channels will change to MPEG4. You will get audio, but no video. It's a heads-up warning to procrastinators. After a few weeks, they typically convert the rest.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 505 of 524

andyross wrote:

At first, only a small group of channels will change to MPEG4. You will get audio, but no video. It's a heads-up warning to procrastinators. After a few weeks, they typically convert the rest.

Thanks again. I'll be sure to get it done before the 17th!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 506 of 524

TGS808 wrote:

Cisco RNG 200 is A-OK! Thanks. 

The team is looking into why the serial number and MAC address for your SA 8300 HD box did not appear in the database that should have flagged this device.  

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 507 of 524

ComcastTeds wrote:

Cisco RNG 200 is A-OK! Thanks. 

The team is looking into why the serial number and MAC address for your SA 8300 HD box did not appear in the database that should have flagged this device.  

I swapped out the 8300 for another RNG200 today at the Delray location and all is well. Thanks again for the help.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 508 of 524
I'm hearing that on the 16th, parts of northeastern PA will begin the transition to MPEG4. Can anyone confirm that?
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 509 of 524
Comcast's lack of transparency about this ongoing project is likely due to the fact that it results in somewhat poorer picture quality, allowing them to stuff more channels into the same pipe. It also plays havoc with your ability to precisely rewind and fast forward live TV for MPEG4 channels (local broadcast channels --- ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS --- remain MPEG2).
Posted by
Contributor

Message 510 of 524

I'm not getting video for certain HD channels. Just audio and a black screen. This started about a week ago. I'll list the channels.

300 HBO HD

319 CineMAX HD

882 MTVLIVE

887 UP HD

890 Turner Classic Movies HD

896 Viceland HD

899 Investigation Discovery HD

1262 National Geographic Wild HD

1505 Sprout HD

Is this because of the box needing to be upgraded? I posted here about this weeks ago asking how much time I had before I would need the upgraded box. I already received the newer box but was very unhappy about the blurry video quality on some channels. My post was ignored so I just sent the newer box back.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 511 of 524

ComcastTeds wrote:

TGS808 wrote:

I received the letter about the update. I went to channel 1995 as instructed by the letter and for both boxes in the house the message on screen said that the box was "good to go!". It would appear, based on the directions supplied by Comcast that no action is necessary on my part and no equipment swap is needed. Is this correct? Boxes are a Scientific Atlanta 8300 Combo and a Cisco RNG200. I don't want to unexpectedly lose channels but I also don't want to pull my system apart for no reason if my current boxes are good. And I have no desire to move to X1. Any info on this would help. Thanks!

P.S. If the "good to go!" message is not correct, why is the system giving me false information?

Apologies for any confusion that we may have caused. Moving to X1 is not required (but strongly encouraged as we believe that it is an improved experience and the upgrade is at no additional cost).

I have asked for a more thorough review of your account to better understand why the box showed as "passing", but I do know that the Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD and HDC boxes are not MPEG 4 compatible and that box would need to be swapped out. 

Let me know and I can assist you with that swap (we can ship you a replacement box at no charge) or you can swap that box at one of the local stores listed below:

9173 West Atlantic Ave

Delray Beach, FL 33446

Wellington, FL 33414

A mod moved my post here but didn't bother replying. I need you to have the upgaded boxes resent to me. I posted about this over a month ago asking how long I had before I needed the upgraded boxes but was ignored then too so I sent the newer boxes back and kept the old ones.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 512 of 524

alex179 wrote:

I'm not getting video for certain HD channels. Just audio and a black screen. This started about a week ago. I'll list the channels.

300 HBO HD

319 CineMAX HD

882 MTVLIVE

887 UP HD

896 Viceland HD

1505 Sprout HD

Is this because of the box needing to be upgraded? I posted here about this weeks ago asking how much time I had before I would need the upgraded box. I already received the newer box but was very unhappy about the blurry video quality on some channels. My post was ignored so I just sent the newer box back.

What model cable box do you have? What you mentioned are the EXACT symptoms of a box that does not support MPEG4 trying to view it.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 513 of 524

alex179 wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

TGS808 wrote:

9173 West Atlantic Ave

Delray Beach, FL 33446

Wellington, FL 33414

A mod moved my post here but didn't bother replying. I need you to have the upgaded boxes resent to me. I posted about this over a month ago asking how long I had before I needed the upgraded boxes but was ignored then too so I sent the newer boxes back and kept the old ones.

Apologies for any confusion we may have caused. There is no charge to swap the equipment.

We can have a replacement box shipped to your home (no charge), you can swap it at any of the locations listed below (no charge) or we can have a technician come out and swap it (no charge).

2329 Cottman Ave, Ste 14
Philadelphia, PA 19149
MONDAY-SATURDAY: 9:00am-7:00pm SUNDAY: 12:00pm-4:00pm

2510 West Moreland Road
Willow Grove, PA 19090

3903 Aramingo Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19137

I've asked someone on our southeast PA team to contact you and confirm arrangement for shipment of new boxes. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 514 of 524

andyross wrote:

alex179 wrote:

300 HBO HD

319 CineMAX HD

882 MTVLIVE

887 UP HD

896 Viceland HD

1505 Sprout HD

What model cable box do you have? What you mentioned are the EXACT symptoms of a box that does not support MPEG4 trying to view it.

DCH3200 I know that's the issue. I posted here over a month ago when I received the newer boxes asking how long I had until I would absolutely need them. I sent them back because I received no response and was very unhappy about some of the channels being blurry. I also know that's due to the switch to MPEG4. This could have been avoided if somebody replied to me a month ago and told me I would start losing channels in a month. I would have kept the new boxes. This is forcing me to switch TV providers in October when my contract is up because video quality is my main concern. I'm disabled so I'm home most of the day watching TV. It's not even a threat that I'm switiching providers. The blurry video was very noticeable on a 65" HDTV. I hate to say it but I'm willing to pay more for better video quality. I doubt Comcast is going to change anything about this between now and October or I would stay with Comcast.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 515 of 524

The video quality depends on the digital video sent. Simply swapping the boxes should have no effect on the quality, as they are both processing the same digital video. Are you sure the box was properly configured and sending 1080i and hadn't defaulted to 480i or something similar? The DCX3400 you will probably get as a replacement shows the resolution right on the front panel, and you can hit a button to change it on-the-fly. You can also verify the default settings by hitting MENU when the box is turned off (as you can do with your DCH.) You can even set it to NATIVE if you don't want the box to do any conversion at all and let your TV handle all of that itself.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 516 of 524

2themax wrote:
I'm hearing that on the 16th, parts of northeastern PA will begin the transition to MPEG4. Can anyone confirm that?
I'll confirm it myself. I started to see MPEG-4 listed on the X1 diagnostic screens today so the conversion is under way.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 517 of 524

Hi alex179, I apologize for your experiences with your services.  I am showing you called in recently, and per notes it looks like new equipment is being shipped out to you.  Were they able to answer all of your questions and concerns?

Thank you

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 518 of 524
Posted by
New Poster

Message 519 of 524

I've gotten notification of the equipment switch from Comcast both through the mail and through the interactive TV thing. I've checked channel 1995 and it indicates that my equipment is fine. However, within the past week several channels that we should be getting have gone black, with the audio coming through fine, so I suspect that our equipment is not, in fact, fine. Since the automated check indicates our equipment is fine, how can I actually get this checked out or our equipment replaced?

I have a Motorola DCH3200 box currently.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 520 of 524

daenris1 wrote:

I've gotten notification of the equipment switch from Comcast both through the mail and through the interactive TV thing. I've checked channel 1995 and it indicates that my equipment is fine. However, within the past week several channels that we should be getting have gone black, with the audio coming through fine, so I suspect that our equipment is not, in fact, fine. Since the automated check indicates our equipment is fine, how can I actually get this checked out or our equipment replaced?

I have a Motorola DCH3200 box currently.

That 1995 check is not reliable. Your DCH is NOT MPEG4 compatible and needs to be replaced. It's a shame they offer a so-called check that seems to be failing too often. All I think it really does is check what is registered on your account and then chooses the right page to show, and sometimes that registration seems to be messed up.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 521 of 524
Aha, the truth about the equipment check finally comes out...
Posted by
Contributor

Message 522 of 524

I just got off the phone with a service rep and was confused by information he gave me about X1 boxes.  Requesting clarification from Comcast.

I'd swapped out a dysfunctioning legacy set top box last week for a different legacy box, but there are problems with the new legacy box.  In calling a phone rep about this problem, he told me that the only solution would be to get an X1 box.  Then he said that, since I had 3 more legacy boxes, I'd have to swap out all of those legacy boxes for more X1 boxes.  He said a single X1 box wouldn't work with other non-X1 boxes. Keep in mind that none of my legacy boxes needed replacement when I recently checked channel 1995.  Either all boxes are X1 or none of them are wasn't my understanding in reading this forum.  Which is it?

He also said that the X1 upgrade alerts can be turned off by turning off Notifications, but this is only temporary.  He said the X1 box alerts will return anyway.  Information here in the forum says nothing about recurring alerts after turning off Notifications.  Which is it?

Notably, a July call to Comcast about how to turn off the X1 upgrade alerts resulted in a rep telling me that getting an X1 box was the ONLY way to remove those alerts.  I had to read this forum to find out how to stop the alerts.  Now I'm getting another version of "only an X1 box/boxes will solve your problem" response.  

Clarification as to the two issues raised in my call to Comcast today is appreciated.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 523 of 524
Is the new legacy box working OK, otherwise? Getting all your channels? If so, you shouldn't have to switch to X1.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 524 of 524

Yes, the new legacy box works just fine in that I am getting all of my channels, etc.  I agree with you--I shouldn't need an X1 box/es.  The emphatic phone rep statements to the contrary made me wonder what I was missing.  Thanks for your reply.